Eddie Vedder's Wine Cellar

13»

Comments

• ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    jumbojet said:

My experience is wine makes you want to speak smart and intellectually while vodka makes you not care anymore about looking like a fool.

I think the key fragment there is "want to..." My experience shows the end result to be the same, not caring...

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning...from this wine conversation. Who knew wine was so complicated?
    All I know is that last November I went on a wine tasting tour in Tuscany and I had the time of my life. The wine, the meat, the cheese and the freshly pressed olive oil was awesome. Can't wait to do it again.

Like any fan thing (ahem), it's only complicated if you want it to be. You can swim shallowly or dive deeply in all things wine.

And I completely agree that relaxing at a Tuscan winery, sipping a bunch of wines, snacking on local fair, and chatting with the winemaker is one of life's real pleasures.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Decanted the wine for 4 hours before drinking.
    It was pale red with tan edges.
    Medium body.
    No pronounced alcohol aromas.
    The nose was all spice box. Very pronounced spices. Some fig and a little chocolate.
    The finish was long and satisfying. The tannins were very dusty.
    Will wait until next year to try some again.

Wine Spectator review:
    Lushly textured, this red cuts a rich swath of spicy plum and cherry flavors, with accents of leather and tobacco, until the beefy tannins corral all the elements on the finish. Balanced on the tannic side, this should find equilibrium with time. Best from 2018 through 2033.

You are correct. This wine should age very nicely and will likely improve.
    I have more than one bottle now though, so I will decant one, let it sit for a few hours and then taste. I'll keep the other bottles for the future. Thanks for your advice. I love talking about wine.

Got a bottle of Oddero Barolo 2010 on Friday. Never had it before. Think I will give it a long decanting before drinking it around the end of next month. My Christmas treat to myself.

Your 2010 Barolo should be lovely, given the year, but are you sure you want to drink it in 2014? I can certainly understand your impatience (I would be, too), and a Christmas treat is great, but this is really one that you could cellar a long time.
    More than one bottle? You lucky dog! Please let us (me) know what it's like when you open it.
    Hold On
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

Decanted the wine for 4 hours before drinking.
    It was pale red with tan edges.
    Medium body.
    No pronounced alcohol aromas.
    The nose was all spice box. Very pronounced spices. Some fig and a little chocolate.
    The finish was long and satisfying. The tannins were very dusty.
    Will wait until next year to try some again.

Wine Spectator review:
    Lushly textured, this red cuts a rich swath of spicy plum and cherry flavors, with accents of leather and tobacco, until the beefy tannins corral all the elements on the finish. Balanced on the tannic side, this should find equilibrium with time. Best from 2018 through 2033.

You are correct. This wine should age very nicely and will likely improve.
    I have more than one bottle now though, so I will decant one, let it sit for a few hours and then taste. I'll keep the other bottles for the future. Thanks for your advice. I love talking about wine.

Got a bottle of Oddero Barolo 2010 on Friday. Never had it before. Think I will give it a long decanting before drinking it around the end of next month. My Christmas treat to myself.

Your 2010 Barolo should be lovely, given the year, but are you sure you want to drink it in 2014? I can certainly understand your impatience (I would be, too), and a Christmas treat is great, but this is really one that you could cellar a long time.
    More than one bottle? You lucky dog! Please let us (me) know what it's like when you open it.
    Thanks for the update! So, couldn't quite wait until the end of the month, eh? ;) I hope you have enough bottles to last until 2033, to get the longitudinal tasting in.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225

For the Hip fans
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    restarting this thread. What is Ed drinking this tour? any pictures or insights?. I'm a Wine guy and always find it interesting what bottles he brings on stage. I remember him carrying Flowers Pinot Noir from the '08 US Tour.
  • DeamonDeamon Posts: 153
    G-force said:

restarting this thread. What is Ed drinking this tour? any pictures or insights?. I'm a Wine guy and always find it interesting what bottles he brings on stage. I remember him carrying Flowers Pinot Noir from the '08 US Tour.

He's still on his Barolo kick. I'm a Somm so I always zoom in on his bottles to see what it is haha. Haven't seen him drink anything but Barolo in 2 years. Not exactly a chugging wine, but hey, I don't judge ;)
    1998: Vancouver 7/19
    2005: Calgary 9/4
    2009: Calgary 8/8, San Diego 10/9
    2011: Calgary 9/21, Edmonton 9/23, Vancouver 9/25
    2012: Missoula 9/30
    2013: Calgary 12/2
    2014: Amsterdam1 6/16, Amsterdam2 6/17, Trieste 6/22, Berlin 6/26
    2016: Ottawa 5/8, Toronto 5/10, Toronto2 5/12
    2019: Dusseldorf 6/30 (EV)
    2022: Sacramento 5/18
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    Not sure what it was but man I took a sip of wine from Ed in Toronto 2. IT BURNS!!! I haven't took a sip of alcohol for many, many months. It was some powerful shit!
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    This was what he was drinking in Greenville.

5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 398
    In Hampton, I got my first pour of wine from Eddie and while it was only a little, it was pretty good! I was telling the story in Columbia and one of the folks in line with me said he saw the bottle when he handed it out to the crowd and it was Flowers Pinot Noir.

Pictures I've seen from this tour are more Barolo, and I finally bought a cheaper bottle of the grape - at $15 it was pretty solid.
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    The biggest difference I have noticed between really expensive wines and good tasting $10-15 dollar bottles, is you are less likely to have a hangover, the next day, at least for me anyway, love reds
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I have a pic I will post later (pic us in my computer). It was Barolo, I wrote down all the info and went to a wine shop, the lady said it was around $120 a bottle and she could order for me if I wanted since she typically didn't sell much wine at that price point. She also offered to show me some wine made from grapes grown in the same region that were at a more affordable price $20-30/bottle.

I'm not a big wine drinker since most of the stuff I've tried I didn't really care for.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    what a shame . in toronto ed was high fiving my friend at the basketball game. my friend with no offense is not a pearl jam fan nor did he know who ed was immediately. but he is a wine expert and is a very large importer of the world's best wines. they could have had a great conversation.
  • andyfarrimondandyfarrimond Posts: 1,957

I did try the Rodney Strong Symmetry and it was a fantastic bottle. I may need to start trying more of these blends. My pallet is apparently been missing out...

Looking for suggestions now.

Again, much depends on price Chris. Many of the Bordeaux style blends made in Cali start off at around $50. If you are OK there try Magnificat by Franciscan or Trilogy by Flora Springs for Napa blends or Threesome, Foursome or Climax from Thumbprint in Sonoma. On the less expensive side from Napa, the Mountain Cuvee by Chappallet is excellent at $25. And yes, I am aware that I am a total wine snob! Let me know if you want any Pinot Noir or Cabernet pointers for CA.
  • jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778

The 'king' of wines. I have seen bottles in our shop for around $50 a bottle. Little pricey for a bottle of red.

$50 a bottle isn't pricey when we are talking wine.
    I beg to differ. Some of the best italian red wine I've had cost me $12 USD. I've had the pricey stuff before too.
    We weren't talking about quality, we were talking about price. I stand by my comment that $50 isn't considered pricey for wine (any wine, but particularly red wine). If you want to talk about quality, that's a different story.
    I was a wine sales rep for years, so I will respectfully disagree. Unless you are talking restaurant, bar or specialty pricing, $50 is on the high side. For the chain grocery stores, such as Vons, Albertsons, Ralphs, etc, that would be considered a very high price point. Even the "A" stores here in coastal San Diego don't sell as much at that price point. "A" stores are based on the demographics and location of that particular store, meaning the higher income levels of that particular area, the higher the rating for the store. Usually the high end stores, such as "A" stores, the $15-$30 range was the common purchase price. The lower end stores or "C" stores tend to be in the $2-$10 range with Sutter Home type wines. That being said, I guess you could make a point that the true wine aficionados don't buy their wines from grocery stores:)
  • Bushleaguer666Bushleaguer666 Long Island Posts: 45

I did try the Rodney Strong Symmetry and it was a fantastic bottle. I may need to start trying more of these blends. My pallet is apparently been missing out...

Looking for suggestions now.

Again, much depends on price Chris. Many of the Bordeaux style blends made in Cali start off at around $50. If you are OK there try Magnificat by Franciscan or Trilogy by Flora Springs for Napa blends or Threesome, Foursome or Climax from Thumbprint in Sonoma. On the less expensive side from Napa, the Mountain Cuvee by Chappallet is excellent at $25. And yes, I am aware that I am a total wine snob! Let me know if you want any Pinot Noir or Cabernet pointers for CA.
    Sure, I'd like a few Cabernet recommendations. I don't know much about wines but I usually buy the "Simi Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon." Nice favors and goes down easy. Thanks.
    Holmdel, NJ; July 14, 2003
    Continental Airlines Arena, NJ; June 1, 2006
    Madison Square Garden; June 24, 2008
    The Prudential Center; May 18, 2010
    Madison Square Garden 2; May 21, 2010
    Barclay Center 2; October 19, 2013
    Charlottesville, VA; October 29, 2013
    Tulsa, OK; October 8, 2014
    Lincoln, NE; October 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN; October 14, 2014
    Global Citizen; September 26, 2015
    Tampa, FL; April 11, 2016
    Madison Square Garden 1; May 1, 2016
    Madison Square Garden 2; May 2, 2016
    Toronto, Canada 2; May 12, 2016
  • DeamonDeamon Posts: 153
    RKCNDY said:

I have a pic I will post later (pic us in my computer). It was Barolo, I wrote down all the info and went to a wine shop, the lady said it was around $120 a bottle and she could order for me if I wanted since she typically didn't sell much wine at that price point. She also offered to show me some wine made from grapes grown in the same region that were at a more affordable price $20-30/bottle.

I'm not a big wine drinker since most of the stuff I've tried I didn't really care for.

He drinks all sorts of wines from Barolo though... many of them are much cheaper then $120 a bottle. You can get Nebbiolo for cheaper but those $20 ones aren't near as good as some good Barolos Eddie is drinking. Just remember, with that grape/region, these wines are not meant to be sipped on or drank without food. Theyre the most tannic and acidic wines in the world and crave having them with a meal or aging them for many years!
    1998: Vancouver 7/19
    2005: Calgary 9/4
    2009: Calgary 8/8, San Diego 10/9
    2011: Calgary 9/21, Edmonton 9/23, Vancouver 9/25
    2012: Missoula 9/30
    2013: Calgary 12/2
    2014: Amsterdam1 6/16, Amsterdam2 6/17, Trieste 6/22, Berlin 6/26
    2016: Ottawa 5/8, Toronto 5/10, Toronto2 5/12
    2019: Dusseldorf 6/30 (EV)
    2022: Sacramento 5/18
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    Deamon said:

G-force said:

He's still on his Barolo kick. I'm a Somm so I always zoom in on his bottles to see what it is haha. Haven't seen him drink anything but Barolo in 2 years. Not exactly a chugging wine, but hey, I don't judge ;)
    Have you seen SOMM the movie? My buddy did the soundtrack. Crazy how much intense training it takes to become a somm. My wife thinks I could do it, because I can be obsessive, but I just don't care enough. I do live to swill wine, though.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Holly9075Holly9075 Newfoundland, Canada Posts: 195
    He was drinking matto barolo @ Toronto 1

Mexico City 28/11/15   Chicago 20/08/16    Boston 04/09/2018
    Quebec City 05/05/16  Chicago 22/08/16
    Ottawa 08/05/16          Taormina 26/06/17
    Toronto 10/05/16         Taormina 27/06/17
    Toronto 11/05/16         Boston 02/09/2018

• i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Holly9075 said:

He was drinking matto barolo @ Toronto 1

It seems like he's Wine of choice at the moment.