Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    It's going to take a while I guess... I support legalization obviously, namely fo the economy impact, which will be massive. I used to also support it because it would make it ease to get without having to find street dealers, but since that problem is already taken care of in Vancouver, that part of my support has become moot, which leads to me to worry about the prices. Right now I can go into a store and buy it for normal prices. $10 a gram, $35 for an 1/8, $50 for a gram of budder, etc. But once it's legalized I assume those prices will skyrocket like they did in Washington. I've been told an 1/8 now runs from $50 - $80 there now!!! That is insane. So yeah, a lot of reasons to support legalization... but it is going to kill one of the most important aspects of the substance, which is affordability. So yeah, I might consider growing my own... though I've heard that is much easier said than done if you want to grow good quality, so i don't know about that.
    Which brings us to a problematic point.... Once weed becomes way more expensive and many people can't afford it or don't think it's worth the price, will a lot of people turn to other still-illegal and affordable drugs as a replacement for recreational use? I think yes. I bet there will be a big boom in stuff like shrooms, E, maybe acid, etc.... Then what?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:

It's going to take a while I guess... I support legalization obviously, namely fo the economy impact, which will be massive. I used to also support it because it would make it ease to get without having to find street dealers, but since that problem is already taken care of in Vancouver, that part of my support has become moot, which leads to me to worry about the prices. Right now I can go into a store and buy it for normal prices. $10 a gram, $35 for an 1/8, $50 for a gram of budder, etc. But once it's legalized I assume those prices will skyrocket like they did in Washington. I've been told an 1/8 now runs from $50 - $80 there now!!! That is insane. So yeah, a lot of reasons to support legalization... but it is going to kill one of the most important aspects of the substance, which is affordability. So yeah, I might consider growing my own... though I've heard that is much easier said than done if you want to grow good quality, so i don't know about that.
    Which brings us to a problematic point.... Once weed becomes way more expensive and many people can't afford it or don't think it's worth the price, will a lot of people turn to other still-illegal and affordable drugs as a replacement for recreational use? I think yes. I bet there will be a big boom in stuff like shrooms, E, maybe acid, etc.... Then what?

In Colorado it has come down to less than 150$ for an ounce of primo.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Really? That's good news! You said it came down. How high did it get?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

Really? That's good news! You said it came down. How high did it get?

I don't know if it went up for a bit first, or just went down, I only know that it is pretty Damn cheap now.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    PJ_Soul said:

I really doubt anyone is going to go take a hallucinogen that lasts 8 hours and gets you 50x as fucked up if they can't afford weed. They'd just go back to the black market.
    And....growing your own isn't that hard (and quite rewarding, from what I've heard :wink: )....just a matter of either making an investment of a lot of time and a little money (DIY garden), or a little time and more money (closet grow kit/tent/box/whatever)....there is a ton of info out there to show how it's done. And in the long run, the savings would be significant.

This article is pretty much on point:
    http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/10/20/seven-key-things-trudeaus-legalization-must-include/
    edited October 2015

PJ_Soul said:

I really doubt anyone is going to go take a hallucinogen that lasts 8 hours and gets you 50x as fucked up if they can't afford weed. They'd just go back to the black market.
    And....growing your own isn't that hard (and quite rewarding, from what I've heard :wink: )....just a matter of either making an investment of a lot of time and a little money (DIY garden), or a little time and more money (closet grow kit/tent/box/whatever)....there is a ton of info out there to show how it's done. And in the long run, the savings would be significant.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/10/20/seven-key-things-trudeaus-legalization-must-include/
    Yeah, there are plenty of options and info about growing.... but doing that in a one bedroom apartment isn't necessarily a good option in any case. If I can just grow a plant in the corner out on my balcony, great. If I have to have a setup indoors, absolutely not.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    TalonTedd said:

Has pot been legalized yet? I can't wait to grow some plants in the garden rite next to my conservative cop neighbor.

:lol:
    A close friend of mine and her old man have been living in a similar situation for years....except the cop is actually pretty cool about it all; not a con drug warrior douche...CBC made a doc partially about that situation:
    http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/cannabiz-secret-economy-marijuana/
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, there are plenty of options and info about growing.... but doing that in a one bedroom apartment isn't necessarily a good option in any case. If I can just grow it out on my balcony, great. If I have to have a setup indoors, absolutely not.
    Personally, I'd make space for a 3' x 3' x 5' grow box if it meant a steady, free (once costs are recouped) supply. The fridge can go, or my clothes could hang on a rack outside the closet :lol: Either way, I hope there comes a time we can post our own pics on AET, comparing setups, mediums, strains, etc. Crazy to imagine, and likely to be reality soon enough. Just hope they don't fuck it up in the way they legislate it.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    TalonTedd said:

Thanks dignin. In all seriousness though, its about time we got ourselves a progressive and compassionate leader. This country, indeed the world at large, is governed by some old money dogma and outdated delusional belief structures, that need to be laid to rest for good and all. Pot, is mind, body and soul medicine. It is of the earth and so are we. It expands the mind and relaxes the nerves and I can't wait to cultivate this miraculous plant free from the bullshit laws of powers that were.

Not arguing about the merits of legalisation of pot, but the idea that something is positive because it is "of the earth" is just plain wrong headed. There are plenty of dangerous things that are of the earth, some of them routinely fatal.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • TalonTedd said:

Thanks dignin. In all seriousness though, its about time we got ourselves a progressive and compassionate leader. This country, indeed the world at large, is governed by some old money dogma and outdated delusional belief structures, that need to be laid to rest for good and all. Pot, is mind, body and soul medicine. It is of the earth and so are we. It expands the mind and relaxes the nerves and I can't wait to cultivate this miraculous plant free from the bullshit laws of powers that were.

Not arguing about the merits of legalisation of pot, but the idea that something is positive because it is "of the earth" is just plain wrong headed. There are plenty of dangerous things that are of the earth, some of them routinely fatal.
    And this is why turdos pothead ideas are now questioned.
    It is a clusterfuck to say I will legalize pot when running for pm but when sober the realization of your pot headedness hits you.
    Fucking potheads.

TalonTedd said:

It is a clusterfuck to say I will legalize pot when running for pm but when sober the realization of your pot headedness hits you.
    Fucking potheads.
    Hahaha is this a joke? It is worded in a very "bong-ripped" way lol
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    rgambs said:

TalonTedd said:

Fucking potheads.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

TalonTedd said:

Fucking potheads.
    No, that's not why his ideas are questioned. Well, not by anyone but you, I guess. My comment didn't have anything to do with pot.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

rgambs said:

TalonTedd said:

Fucking potheads.
    Is this your way of claiming refugee status to come over here? :grin:
    Lol if this makes sense to you, you are definitely hitting that bong!
    Unless English isn't your first language, in which case I apologize.
    edited December 2015
  • Notley has already started what we knew would happen. By the time she is thrown out of office Alberta will be 36 Billion in debt. Hold on folks, Notley's favorite term? "Charge It!!!!"
    edited December 2015
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    3 planes make that much difference?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:

It made enough of a difference for them to threaten our country because of our involvement.
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835

mickeyrat said:

It made enough of a difference for them to threaten our country because of our involvement.
    And perhaps discontinuing the bombing will play out in a more constructive way that is unforeseen. Maybe we can act as a broker of peace and civility at some point. After all, Canada had no part in shaping the conflict either historically or more recently. This a problem for the big boys to deal with, they shaped it and baked it; they should eat it.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    I need a hit.

I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    TalonTedd said:

mickeyrat said:

And perhaps discontinuing the bombing will play out in a more constructive way that is unforeseen. Maybe we can act as a broker of peace and civility at some point. After all, Canada had no part in shaping the conflict either historically or more recently. This a problem for the big boys to deal with, they shaped it and baked it; they should eat it.
    yes, finally going back to what we do best: being peacekeepers, not trodding along with whatever the fucking big brother US government does to appease them.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303

TalonTedd said:

mickeyrat said:

yes, finally going back to what we do best: being peacekeepers, not trodding along with whatever the fucking big brother US government does to appease them.

Hey now guys, take it easy. Aren't you afraid? We should all be really afraid. The boogey man is out to get us.....all of us.
    edited December 2015
  • You can make all the comments you want, but the world is changing.

All the freedoms you enjoy which were assured by brave soldiers who fought for it. Maybe on November 11th you will take a moment to remember that and salute those who gave the ultimate sacrifice in WWI, WWII and the Korean War among post others.

No, now that I think about it, you probably won't. You will not attend any of the ceremonies and stay home and praise all of the peacekeepers we deployed since 1970.

It really amazes me that people do not consider a G7 country one of the "big boys". That Canada does not play a significant role in the world. That our only role In International conflict is to come in and try to broker peace, no matter what atrocities are being committed.

edited December 2015
  • ^^^^

Oh yeah that's right. I forgot (or tried to forget).

You can make all the comments you want, but the world is changing.

All the freedoms you enjoy which were assured by brave soldiers who fought for it. Maybe on November 11th you will take a moment to remember that and salute those who gave the ultimate sacrifice in WWI, WWII and the Korean War among post others.

No, now that I think about it, you probably won't. You will not attend any of the ceremonies and stay home and praise all of the peacekeepers we deployed since 1970.

It really amazes me that people do not consider a G7 country one of the "big boys". That Canada does not play a significant role in the world. That our only role In International conflict is to come in and try to broker peace, no matter what atrocities are being committed.

This is such a tired old mantra. For the holiday maybe you should make a sandwich board and list all the enemies that came to Canada to steal your freedoms, and would have succeeded had the brave soldiers not fought to protect them. Don't forget to add the pinko commies, and thank the brave politicians who protected your freedoms.
    It must be frightening to have such old school ideology in a world where people question the status quo.
    edited December 2015
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited October 2015
    rgambs said:

You can make all the comments you want, but the world is changing.

This is such a tired old mantra. For the holiday maybe you should make a sandwich board and list all the enemies that came to Canada to steal your freedoms, and would have succeeded had the brave soldiers not fought to protect them. Don't forget to add the pinko commies, and thank the brave politicians who protected your freedoms.
    It must be frightening to have such old school ideology in a world where people question the status quo.
    Dude, with all due respect, it is frightening. If I have learned one thing at all from studying history is that it repeats itself and civilizations fall.
    It is a liberal mindset to allow whomever into Canada to do whatever they want. In some respects, this is true democracy.
    But even religious freedom must have a ceiling. When a religion's ultimate belief is death to all non-believers, I am frightened. When the media continually refers to Islam as a peaceful religion, I scoff. When discussions regarding the implementation of Sharia Law in parts of Canada take place, I fear for the next generation.
    If the tolerance is only on our side, we become pacifists. Pacifism is viewed as a weakness by those who do not agree with the North American ideology. The things you hold dear: sexual freedoms, women's equality, gay and lesbian rights, etc.

The irony is, the liberal left are doing everything they can to ensure the rights of the most conservative ideology of all and their right to institute those beliefs HERE.
    To think that everyone who comes to,Canada is here to enjoy the freedoms is foolish and naive. A true believer in Mohammad does not share your liberal views.

You can call me a fear monger, delusional, etc. (And I'm sure you will, I was told to go,suck a hockey puck in the Keystone XL thread for agreeing with Obama and saying we should keep,all the resources the US holds,so,dearly,here to ourselves) but I see problems with 15 years.
    If the government wasn't worried, don't you think they would just open the doors and let in 200.000 refugees or more? Isn't that the Liberal way? Everyone is welcome here? Everyone waiting at a gate is Slovenia should be airlifted to Canada.

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on