Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    JWPearl said:

Lying to his kids via media
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-s-1st-day-as-pm-family-flag-and-father-1.3304860
    "That's Grandpapa Pierre," Trudeau told his children. "Today, he'll be thinking of us and we'll be thinking of him."
    :sick:

hate politics
    why i dont vote..
    hating politics is the exact reason you SHOULD vote.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

JWPearl said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-s-1st-day-as-pm-family-flag-and-father-1.3304860
    "That's Grandpapa Pierre," Trudeau told his children. "Today, he'll be thinking of us and we'll be thinking of him."

hate politics
    why i dont vote..
    hating politics is the exact reason you SHOULD vote.

Exactly!
    If you don't vote, it's not protest, it's surrender.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

I actually have no idea what you mean here. What is wrong with him saying that??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    JWPearl said:

hate politics
    why i dont vote..
    And I have no idea why a man speaking about his father to his kids would inspire you to respond like that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

I actually have no idea what you mean here. What is wrong with him saying that??
    it took me a sec to understand it too........I believe he means that Justin is lying because he is telling his son that his dead grampa is thinking of him.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

it took me a sec to understand it too........I believe he means that Justin is lying because he is telling his son that his dead grampa is thinking of him.

That's fucked up.
  • PJ_Soul said:

Yes that is what I mean.

PJ_Soul said:

Yes that is what I mean.
    I am an atheist, but I still thought that was simply a sweet thing for him to say to his little daughter. Why shit on it?
  • PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes that is what I mean.
    I am an atheist, but I still thought that was simply a sweet thing for him to say to his little daughter. Why shit on it?
    Saying your dead grampa that you never met is floating around the sky thinking of you is a stupid thing to say. Now the children are going to grow up believing that nonsense.
    edited November 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes that is what I mean.
    Saying your dead grampa that you never met is floating around the sky thinking of you is a stupid thing to say. Now the children are going to grow up believing that nonsense.
    I think it's more ridiculous that you are nitpicking about it. This is the kind of thing that about 95% of the world's population does. To drag it out in a thread about Canadian politics or as a way to criticize a politician is pointless. While I am an Atheist, I can still empathize with people who believe that their dead loved ones might know their going ons (although I think such ideas and statements are more symbolic than they are literal, and even his very young daughter probably gets that, so I don't know why you wouldn't). As far as the "she never even met her grandpa" point... I think that's even more ridiculous. Most people feel a connection to their ancestors, and that is a positive thing.

You have kids, right? Don't you think that you would want to tell your kids about your parents (if they died before the kids were born) and pass on a feeling of connection with them to your kids?? I know I would. I know that my mother has done just that with me, regarding her much beloved mother, who died when my mom was pregnant with me, and her even more beloved Grandmother, who basically raised her. She is really sad that I never got to know either of those women, who had such a huge role in making her who she is, and I'm sad about that too. But because my mom told me about them and made sure that I knew about how they were and what their lives were like, I feel a family connection with them even though I never met them. That is admirable of my mother, and admirable of Trudeau to be doing that with his kids about his father. That fact that they believe in an afterlife is hardly surprising. Most people do. And kids in particular like to imagine the dead kind of looking down on them or whatever the fuck. I never bought into it, but I don't see the harm, either.

Sorry about the essay, but I'm just a little shocked that you would have a problem with this. Seems pretty cold.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • ^^^^I left it at my one statement and agreed with it's interpretation by HFD.
    The above essay is dragging it out.
    Something that is not my intention.

^^^^I left it at my one statement and agreed with it's interpretation by HFD.
    The above essay is dragging it out.
    Something that is not my intention.

So?

PJ_Soul said:

Yes that is what I mean.
    then tell your parents they are liars for telling you that Santa and the Easter Bunny were real! LOL

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_Soul said:

Yes that is what I mean.
    then tell your parents they are liars for telling you that Santa and the Easter Bunny were real! LOL

I know the irony is funny.
    But miraculously every kid grows out of the fun childhood belief.
    Whereas the floating dead guy in the sky thing.......well not so much.
    edited November 2015

PJ_Soul said:

Yes that is what I mean.

I did. I wasn't raised an Atheist. Also ironic - my parents never told me that Santa or the Easter Bunny were real. We just played pretend when it came to that.

PJ_Soul said:

Yes that is what I mean.

I was a Christian until about 18 years old.

To quote George Costanza...."it's not a lie...if you believe it".
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited November 2015

PJ_Soul said:

Yes that is what I mean.

Well exactly. He wasn't lying. Anyway, Trudeau's not an extremely religious person (while Harper is a fundamentalist). He's Catholic and believes in stuff though (apparently). But you don't actually even have to be religious to believe that your dead loved ones carry on in some way.
    In any case, he's very much in favour of the separation of church and state, so yay.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes that is what I mean.

Well exactly. He wasn't lying. Anyway, Trudeau's not an extremely religious person (while Harper is a fundamentalist). He's Catholic and believes in stuff though (apparently). But you don't actually even have to be religious to believe that your dead loved ones carry on in some way.
    In any case, he's very much in favour of the separation of church and state, so yay.
    Since this is your thread and you seem to be very liberal as to what is discussed I will address your comments.
    Explain the bolded please.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    not surprised dude thinks Trudeau was lying ... he "read" an article pretty much proving global warming is caused by humans and actually interpreted it as it isn't ...

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes that is what I mean.

Since this is your thread and you seem to be very liberal as to what is discussed I will address your comments.
    There is no reason God has to have anything to do with an afterlife. An afterlife could be based in some kind of natural/scientific process. I never understood why people assume that there must be a God for there to be some kind of afterlife. Makes no sense to me.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes that is what I mean.

There is no reason God has to have anything to do with an afterlife. An afterlife could be based in some kind of natural/scientific process. I never understood why people assume that there must be a God for there to be some kind of afterlife. Makes no sense to me.
    Not to mention living on in memory. Love is a natural phenomenon that transcends death.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes that is what I mean.

Not to mention living on in memory. Love is a natural phenomenon that transcends death.
    Yeah, that too.
    so a guy at my work who is upper middle class went off on a tangent again today about Justin bringing back the long form census. He said "I've voted for all parties over the years, I don't care who it is, but if you are spending my money, I don't like it". typical "me me me" nonsense. yeah, cause the census is such an awful thing for the government to do; to gather information about their constituents so they know where the money should be flowing. such a waste of money! all he sees is the dollar signs on it, not the benefit to spending it.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I didn't even realize that Harper's National Household Survey cost more than the long form census! HAHA.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rob-commentary/theres-too-much-at-stake-make-statistics-canada-independent/article27117905/

Munir A. Sheikh is executive fellow at the School of Public Policy, University of Calgary and former chief statistician of Canada.

I commend Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s new government for the decision, formally announced Thursday morning, to reverse the cancellation of the long-form census. I am also encouraged by Mr. Trudeau’s emphasis on the need to use evidence in decision-making.

The previous government’s cancellation of the long-form census was irresponsible. It led to deterioration in the quality of the census data collected in 2011 by the voluntary National Household Survey, which replaced the long-form census. As well, data for about a quarter of Canadian communities is missing because of their particularly poor quality or confidentiality concerns. And all that grief when the replacement, the NHS, cost $22-million more than the long-form census!

All of these problems related to less and lower-quality data from the NHS have been well documented by many researchers. Can you imagine a single Canadian who would behave like the previous government did, choosing to pay a higher price for less quantity of a good of lower quality?

In addition to the lower-quality data collected by the NHS, further damage has been done because of the loss of the census anchor for validating and adjusting many other Statistics Canada household surveys. Keep in mind, too, that the non-response rate threshold beyond which census data is not released was raised from 25 per cent to 50 per cent for the NHS, meaning that with the census standards for dissemination, a lot of the NHS data would not have seen the light of day, given the NHS global non-response rate of over 26 per cent.

The quality of data is likely particularly bad for surveys of small populations, such as Canadians with disabilities and aboriginal peoples, and for small areas, such as individual communities. For example, 40 per cent of communities in Saskatchewan have no data from the NHS. A host of organizations – governments, NGOs, businesses – operate in small communities, and they need local-level data for a wide range of their activities. These were put at risk with the low-quality data the NHS produced at that level.

The average Canadian may not use census data directly in their everyday lives, but organizations that provide goods and services to such Canadians rely heavily on them. Long-form data is a critical factor in decisions made by the federal government, provinces, municipalities, businesses, NGOs, academics, pollsters and the news media, among many others. The long-form census contains questions on income, the labour market, education, housing, transportation, languages, disabilities, citizenship and immigration, aboriginal peoples and ethnicity. Anyone working in any of these areas has suffered because of its cancellation and, as a consequence, all Canadians who receive services from these organizations have suffered.

Consider the following examples. With the lower quality of income and labour-market data produced by the NHS, the federal government would find it harder to correctly read the country’s economic situation, changes in Canadians’ living standards, characteristics of the labour market, people living in poverty or the effectiveness of federal social programs.

Worse, with the NHS data not being comparable to the 2006 census information, it becomes impossible to observe trends over time. It is harder for provincial governments to plan social programs, determine housing and education needs, or assess transportation requirements, including infrastructure and transit planning. It is harder for municipalities to plan services, such as determining the fate of a library or the building of a firehall.

Businesses are equally affected. A business would find it harder trying to decide whether to open a new store in a community or what stocks to keep. A bank would run into difficulty trying to determine whether to open a new branch or to provide services in minority languages.

Academics are affected, as well. One of Canada’s most respected researchers, Charles Beach, professor emeritus of economics at Queen’s University, had this to say about the cancellation of the long-form census: “It has certainly impacted my own work on what has been happening to middle-class earnings in Canada,” he told The Globe and Mail in January. Its loss “inhibited research into inequality and identifying winners and losers in economic growth, research into understanding the national problems of the have-nots in the economy and research into how best to provision local government services.”

With so much at stake as a result of the cancellation of the long-form census, it is appropriate to celebrate this policy reversal. However, we should also ask why and how we got into this unacceptable situation in the first place, with a government interfering in the very technical issue of which questions should be asked on the census form. Could we find ourselves back in the same situation again one day in the future?

The answer is that the Statistics Act, the law governing Statistics Canada, is flawed – it gives the responsible minister final authority in deciding on technical statistical matters. The law also gives cabinet the authority to determine questions that should go into a census. This is simply not right.

Given the law, there is no reason to be sure that a future government would not again cancel the long-form census. I believe the contents of a census should be a decision purely based on a country’s data needs and not on the politics of the day.

Indeed, the Liberal Party’s election platform promised to make Statistics Canada independent – I hope the new government fulfills this promise in the near future.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so a guy at my work who is upper middle class went off on a tangent again today about Justin bringing back the long form census. He said "I've voted for all parties over the years, I don't care who it is, but if you are spending my money, I don't like it". typical "me me me" nonsense. yeah, cause the census is such an awful thing for the government to do; to gather information about their constituents so they know where the money should be flowing. such a waste of money! all he sees is the dollar signs on it, not the benefit to spending it.

He sounds like a real douche.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Harper cancelled the long form census so he wouldn't have to make decisions based on evidence. Plain and simple.

So glad he's gone.
    dignin said:

Harper cancelled the long form census so he wouldn't have to make decisions based on evidence. Plain and simple.

So glad he's gone.
    and the funny thing is, when this guy got back to work after lunch, I said to him "you know Harper's survey costed the taxpayer $30M (or $22M, depending on the source) MORE than the long form census?". He replied "yep, in the first year". He then went on to say "it's a protection of privacy issue". Well, a minute ago, it was a "don't waste taxpayer money" issue. He said "it's none of the government's business what my religion is".

He also has an issue with Canada allowing 25,000 refugees into canada, because if even one of those is terrorist, watch out". man, harper's fear mongering sure worked on the conservative folks.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dignin said:

So glad he's gone.
    and the funny thing is, when this guy got back to work after lunch, I said to him "you know Harper's survey costed the taxpayer $30M (or $22M, depending on the source) MORE than the long form census?". He replied "yep, in the first year". He then went on to say "it's a protection of privacy issue". Well, a minute ago, it was a "don't waste taxpayer money" issue. He said "it's none of the government's business what my religion is".

He also has an issue with Canada allowing 25,000 refugees into canada, because if even one of those is terrorist, watch out". man, harper's fear mongering sure worked on the conservative folks.

It sure did.
  • dignin said:

Actually you are 100% wrong with your reason.
    The Conservative government maintains that its reasoning for the cancellation is that they do not believe it is appropriate to force Canadians to divulge detailed personal information under threat of prosecution.

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/statement-on-2011-census-1289664.htm