Canadian Politics Redux

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
edited February 2022 in A Moving Train
I guess having a new thread goes nicely with having a new government. :)

So Trudeau is ending Canada's bombing campaign in Syria and redirecting that money to more humanitarian efforts. I for one and very happy about this. That is more along the lines of what Canada is about IMHO.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I was shocked to see that the other thread was closed. I always viewed my neighbors to the north as the most civil folks on earth.

I hope y'all can keep this one rolling.

Just leave that whole being an asshole thing to the experts (read: Americans), OK?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2015
    dankind said:

I was shocked to see that the other thread was closed. I always viewed my neighbors to the north as the most civil folks on earth.

Just leave that whole being an asshole thing to the experts (read: Americans), OK?

I think everyone was just drunk, eh. =)
    Or that was like the online version of a good old fashioned Canadian hockey fight maybe. :tongue:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    So I'm in Boston and even here I'm hearing random people around talking about our election outcome.

(and also one women at the conference I'm attending told me "your new prime minister is so hot! We never noticed Canada before, but now that's changed." Yeah, feeling a little ambivalent about that comment :smile: )
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Heh. How long are you in town?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited October 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

I think everyone was just drunk, eh. =)
    Or that was like the online version of a good old fashioned Canadian hockey fight maybe. :tongue:
    :lol: It was a bench clearing brawl, and I was the only guy on the other bench.
    Cheers, PJ Soul, I apologize for my behaviour towards you personally.
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    dankind said:

Dan, you referring to me? Your location - does that mean Boston? I'm not in the know, obviously.

I'm in Boston until Sunday afternoon. Seems like a great city so far.

dankind said:

Dan, you referring to me? Your location - does that mean Boston? I'm not in the know, obviously.

Yes, I was. PM me know if you need any tips on stuff to do, etc.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

dankind said:

Yes, I was. PM me know if you need any tips on stuff to do, etc.
    Thanks Dan, that's really kind. As of tomorrow I have zero free time since I planned this trip badly. Halifaxxx has already ably represented your city. I hope to come back again for an actual vacation :smile:
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    love reading all the reasons why the Cons lost ...

here's why: we aren't fascists in Canada ...

fascism
    [fash-iz-uh m]
    (sometimes initial capital letter) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    This pretty much sums it up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/21/opinion/justin-trudeau-low-expectations-high-relief.html?_r=0

Justin Trudeau: Low Expectations, High Relief

edited October 2015
    dignin said:

This pretty much sums it up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/21/opinion/justin-trudeau-low-expectations-high-relief.html?_r=0

Justin Trudeau: Low Expectations, High Relief

I wouldn't call my expectations low. More like realistic. but yeah, I think that article pretty much nails the general sentiment.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
    edited October 2015
    This "Turdo" thing is really childish and dumb IMHO.

Would Victoria mind having some refugees? Would Vancouver? I wouldn't mind.
  • PJ_Soul said:

I called him turdo before he was pm and I continue to call him turdo now.
    Victoria would be a great place for them. Vancouver seems to have a little attitude towards them as of late.

Why do you follow up with IMHO a lot? Isn't stating your opinion always honest?
    This is a great start, and it gives me hope.

Trudeau invites May, other leaders to join UN climate summit delegation

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-invites-may-other-leaders-to-join-un-climate-summit-delegation-1.2625763#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=mBPUPhJ

Also, how about we all act like adults and leave the name calling behind in the last Canadian politics thread. Thanks for starting this one up PJSoul.
    edited October 2015

PJ_Soul said:

I called him turdo before he was pm and I continue to call him turdo now.
    Victoria would be a great place for them. Vancouver seems to have a little attitude towards them as of late.

Why do you follow up with IMHO a lot? Isn't stating your opinion always honest?
    Yeah, it was childish and dumb then and it still is.

The H stands for humble.
  • dignin said:
    It's a good start. Yes
    I noticed in the article he used name calling Trudeau was so incensed by the Harper government's exclusionary policy that he called the environment minister at the time, Peter Kent, a "piece of s--t" in the House of Commons.
    I'm sure he can handle being called turdo.
    edited October 2015

dignin said:
    It's a good start. Yes
    I noticed in the article he used name calling Trudeau was so incensed by the Harper government's exclusionary policy that he called the environment minister at the time, Peter Kent, a "piece of s--t" in the House of Commons.
    I'm sure he can handle being called turdo.
    It's not Trudeau having hurt feelings that I am worried about, lol.
    It's just stupid, immature, and irritating. It's not because I am offended. It's just lame and you've played it out.
    edited December 2015
    Spread them amongst all the bigger cities losted there and no one old even know the dfference. 25,000 people is not very many people for Canada, which is huge.
  • PJ_Soul said:

Spread them amongst all the bigger cities losted there and no one old even know the dfference. 25,000 people is not very many people for Canada, which is huge.

Why the need to spread them out?

PJ_Soul said:

Spread them amongst all the bigger cities listed there and no one woud even know the dfference. 25,000 people is not very many people for Canada, which is huge.

So as not to suddenly inundate schools, the job market, and the housing market in one place, obviously.
    edited October 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Spread them amongst all the bigger cities listed there and no one woud even know the dfference. 25,000 people is not very many people for Canada, which is huge.

So as not to suddenly inundate schools, the job market, and the housing market in one place, obviously.
    But they are coming to Vancouver.
    So I guess this won't happen then.
    edited October 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

They said BC, which is huge and has 4.5 million people, and that metro Vancouver is preparing, and metro Van has 2.5 million people and is made up of several cities and municipalities. No prob handling 25,000 in terms entire province of BC. It would make more sense to spread it out a bit to encourage integration rather than all settling in the same area of the province, but whatever, I'd be fine either way.
    edited December 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

They said BC, which is huge and has 4.5 million people, and that metro Vancouver is preparing, and metro Van has 2.5 million people and is made up of several cities and municipalities. No prob handling 25,000 in terms entire province of BC. It would make more sense to spread it out a bit to encourage integration rather than all settling in the same area of the province, but whatever, I'd be fine either way.
    PJSoul, you say "metro Vancouver is preparing"; what's been the coverage on this? I'm out of the country so haven't seen any specific news on it.

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJSoul, you say "metro Vancouver is preparing"; what's been the coverage on this? I'm out of the country so haven't seen any specific news on it.
    I'm referring to the vancouver sun article that PJFan posted some posts ago. :)
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    Has pot been legalized yet? I can't wait to grow some plants in the garden rite next to my conservative cop neighbor.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
    TalonTedd said:

Has pot been legalized yet? I can't wait to grow some plants in the garden rite next to my conservative cop neighbor.

Haha
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    Thanks dignin. In all seriousness though, its about time we got ourselves a progressive and compassionate leader. This country, indeed the world at large, is governed by some old money dogma and outdated delusional belief structures, that need to be laid to rest for good and all. Pot, is mind, body and soul medicine. It is of the earth and so are we. It expands the mind and relaxes the nerves and I can't wait to cultivate this miraculous plant free from the bullshit laws of powers that were.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.