3-D Printers

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:

Pap said:

PJ_Soul said:

Is this phenomenon the scientific world copying ideas from Start Trek: TNG, or was Roddenberry just really tapped into what scientists thought might eventually be possible??

Same thing has happened with some of the James Bond's gadgets. Usually, all the amazing inventions that you see in the movies are not just in the director's imagination. Actually they are work in progress of some of the biggest scientific laboratories around the world, right at the time of production.

Fair enough, but teleportation and tricorders and replicators weren't even being attempted back in 1988 when Star Trek: TNG debuted, and especially not in the 60s, when the original Roddenberry came up with the idea of teleportation, were they?? Star Trek: TNG was cancelled back in 1995 or something like that. Definitely no 3D printing happening back then. The internet was only just coming into being then!
    I believe it's more that that SF authors tap into what humans have wanted and speculated about for decades, or centuries. In some cases the science eventually catches up.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Pap said:

Same thing has happened with some of the James Bond's gadgets. Usually, all the amazing inventions that you see in the movies are not just in the director's imagination. Actually they are work in progress of some of the biggest scientific laboratories around the world, right at the time of production.

Jetpacking like Iron Man over Dubai

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024

PJ_Soul said:

Pap said:

PJ_Soul said:

Is this phenomenon the scientific world copying ideas from Start Trek: TNG, or was Roddenberry just really tapped into what scientists thought might eventually be possible??

Fair enough, but teleportation and tricorders and replicators weren't even being attempted back in 1988 when Star Trek: TNG debuted, and especially not in the 60s, when the original Roddenberry came up with the idea of teleportation, were they?? Star Trek: TNG was cancelled back in 1995 or something like that. Definitely no 3D printing happening back then. The internet was only just coming into being then!
    I believe it's more that that SF authors tap into what humans have wanted and speculated about for decades, or centuries. In some cases the science eventually catches up.
    Science fiction as fact: how desires drive discoveries
    ^ Wow! :dizzy:
    edited February 2016
    Not related to 3D printing but relevant to the dog videos above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUrBIwKzx70
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    So is this how the PJ crates were made? 3D printers?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    I've used a 3D printer in my engineering design class, very cool. Made a couple of guitar picks and some parts for a toy car. Nice picks too
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
    edited October 2017

Britain’s highest profile and most significant infrastructure project the Crossrail will have some incredibly distinct stations upon completion, courtesy of Laing O’Rourke. The Elizabeth line stations, which Laing O’Rourke has constructed, feature curved concrete panels that line the roof and glide around corners in a way never seen before in a large scale infrastructure project.

But this is not the 3D printed concrete featured in viral Facebook videos claiming to build a house in Dubai in just a matter of hours. No, such concrete is simply too structurally weak to ever be considered for use in a project such as the Crossrail. Rather, Laing O’Rourke 3D printed the moulds that would be used to create the precast concrete panels that line the station. By 3D printing the moulds Laing O’Rourke was able to create a stunning structure, which still retains the structural integrity of traditional concrete panels.

Over the course of three years of experimenting James Gardiner, the Australian architect who invented this 3D printing method, was able to perfect the process of printing curved wax moulds that could then be used to hold and set precast concrete panels.

Now, in a factory 16km south of Doncaster, England, a robotic arm roams like a bird of prey over a platform where it will use a hard, pink wax to construct a mould. The arm is attached to a steel gantry which moves it in three dimensions across a space of 30 metres long by 3.5 metres wide by 1.5 metres deep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alAHME_A8VY

FreeFab has made it cheaper and faster to manufacture more complex precast moulds (not to mention better for the environment). Using traditional methods to construct a mould that curves along two different axis, like the ones that in the Crossrail stations, would take around eight days. FreeFAB can print one of these moulds in as little as three hours.

Given the extra costs in producing curved moulds using traditional methods, it was simply not feasible to use curved concrete in infrastructure, commercial or residential projects.

Furthermore, traditional moulds are typically made from wood and polystyrene, which is thrown out when the mould is no longer required. With the FreeFAB method, the wax mould is simply melted down to be reused when the mould is no longer needed. In a project like the Crossrail stations where Laing O’Rourke was using 1,400 unique moulds to cast 36,000 different concrete shapes, this reusability means significant reductions to the bottom line and also the environmental impact of the project.

These huge stations will open to the public next December representing the first time a large-scale project has utilised 3D printing in their concrete structures.

Post edited by Pap on
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    3D printed guns are becoming an issue
    I miss igotid88
    Unbelievable! :star:
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018
    I have purchased a 3D Pen for my niece for Christmas! I'm really looking forward to trying it out, lol.

It's like this... except I suspect you'd have to practice 500 hours with it to make something like that, lol. From what I can tell, learning to use it effectively takes some patience. I hope my niece has that much patience.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    I have purchased a 3D Pen for my niece for Christmas! I'm really looking forward to trying it out, lol.

It's like this... except I suspect you'd have to practice 500 hours with it to make something like that, lol. From what I can tell, learning to use it effectively takes some patience. I hope my niece has that much patience.

So it's a tiny die grinder that's used on a piece of plastic?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't know what a die grinder is, but that doesn't sound right. It's like a glue gun that melts and expels plastic 3D printer filament that solidifies instantly instead of glue. And obviously with a finer point.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't know what a die grinder is, but that doesn't sound right. It's like a glue gun that melts and expels plastic 3D printer filament that solidifies instantly instead of glue. And obviously with a finer point.
    So that pen, made that?  I will confess, I have not paid much attention to 3D printing.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Ahhhhhh, ok.  I get it.

A glue gun is a perfect definition for it then.

How can melted plastic be any good for you to inhale or did they do something different about that?