3-D Printers

1235»

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have purchased a 3D Pen for my niece for Christmas! I'm really looking forward to trying it out, lol.

It's like this... except I suspect you'd have to practice 500 hours with it to make something like that, lol. From what I can tell, learning to use it effectively takes some patience. I hope my niece has that much patience.

So it's a tiny die grinder that's used on a piece of plastic?
    I don't know what a die grinder is, but that doesn't sound right. It's like a glue gun that melts and expels plastic 3D printer filament that solidifies instantly instead of glue. And obviously with a finer point.
    So that pen, made that?  I will confess, I have not paid much attention to 3D printing.  
    Well, the person holding the pen made it, lol. Yeah, this is literally drawing with solid material instead of ink. A lot of these things aren't even expensive (there are more advanced ones that cost more - for adults). Great gifts for kids, probably 8 years and up.
    Here is kind of a tutorial video of something complicated that you can do with a 3D pen (obviously can do much, much simpler things as well - this person is dedicated, lol):

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have purchased a 3D Pen for my niece for Christmas! I'm really looking forward to trying it out, lol.

It's like this... except I suspect you'd have to practice 500 hours with it to make something like that, lol. From what I can tell, learning to use it effectively takes some patience. I hope my niece has that much patience.

I don't know what a die grinder is, but that doesn't sound right. It's like a glue gun that melts and expels plastic 3D printer filament that solidifies instantly instead of glue. And obviously with a finer point.
    So that pen, made that?  I will confess, I have not paid much attention to 3D printing.  
    Well, the person holding the pen made it, lol. Yeah, this is literally drawing with solid material instead of ink. A lot of these things aren't even expensive (there are more advanced ones that cost more - for adults). Great gifts for kids, probably 8 years and up.
    Here is kind of a tutorial video of something complicated that you can do with a 3D pen (obviously can do much, much simpler things as well - this person is dedicated, lol):

I will watch, I do well just swapping out ink cartridges..
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018
    Oh, and here is a good video for how to use 3D pens too, plus he's testing the super cheap ones. I never saw any that cheap. I saw a range of $40 - $100 for ones that would be good for kids, and I researched it pretty heavily.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Ahhhhhh, ok.  I get it.

A glue gun is a perfect definition for it then.

How can melted plastic be any good for you to inhale or did they do something different about that?
    I wondered the same thing, and found this answer from the company I bought the pen from:

"3Doodler plastics have been tested for heavy metals, and have undergone full toxicological risk assessments, passing each and every test. Some users notice a slight "plasticy" smell when using ABS. Many users prefer the smell of PLA, which, being corn based, can smell like popcorn. No matter what material you're using, and whether you're using a 3Doodler or a traditional 3D printer, we recommend working in a ventilated area.

The 3Doodler Start Eco-Plastics are 100% eco-friendly and non-toxic, and so there are absolutely no fumes."

• PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Ahhhhhh, ok.  I get it.

How can melted plastic be any good for you to inhale or did they do something different about that?
    I wondered the same thing, and found this answer from the company I bought the pen from:

"3Doodler plastics have been tested for heavy metals, and have undergone full toxicological risk assessments, passing each and every test. Some users notice a slight "plasticy" smell when using ABS. Many users prefer the smell of PLA, which, being corn based, can smell like popcorn. No matter what material you're using, and whether you're using a 3Doodler or a traditional 3D printer, we recommend working in a ventilated area.

The 3Doodler Start Eco-Plastics are 100% eco-friendly and non-toxic, and so there are absolutely no fumes."

That's amazing and I don't trust them, lol.  But I would make sure a fan is blowing when using that thing.

Eco plastic is recycled plastic...

It is still cool though
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Ahhhhhh, ok.  I get it.

That's amazing and I don't trust them, lol.  But I would make sure a fan is blowing when using that thing.

Eco plastic is recycled plastic...

It is still cool though
    I feel like that info will be enough to satisfy my sister with her kid using it, plus the eco-friendly stuff is non-toxic and I do believe them - they can't legally say that if it's not true.
    In any case, we are all consuming and breathing in all kinds of crap constantly, I really don't feel like using a 3D Pen is going to make a difference. But people have varying views on this of course. I am pretty far down the scale at the "We all have to die someday - I'm not going to worry about it if worrying about it ruins my fun" end. :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    The heart doesn't beat and it's too small for use in people - it's only about the size of a rabbit's heart. But the little organ is considered a big advance in the ongoing effort to find new treatments for heart disease, the leading cause of death in the United States.

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    ^ How cool is that!...
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Pap said:
    I find this hard to believe that it is cost effective to build?
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    How does wiring and plumbing work?
    I miss igotid88