10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    I miss igotid88
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Looking forward to that!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Serious question... do you think when 3D printing becomes more mainstream & affordable that it will be the death of Lego as a company?

Serious question... do you think when 3D printing becomes more mainstream & affordable that it will be the death of Lego as a company?

Unless Lego (and many other companies) adapts to this manufacturing revolution...Then sure, they can go outta business.

Just print your own Lego, print your own toys, print your own gun.

Real wealth (in this case) is knowing about CAD files, knowing how to design things, to make/print them.

Having said that, I'm not sure what intellectual property rights Lego has etc.

Also, its gonna take maybe 5-10 years for us (at home) to print a piece (of lego) as good as Lego themselves make them.

I've tried, its not easy, the end results now are not up to actual Lego standards (yet).

Many companies should be worried...in 10-15 years, 3D printing will be everywhere.

Idris said:

Unless Lego (and many other companies) adapts to this manufacturing revolution...Then sure, they can go outta business.

Just print your own Lego, print your own toys, print your own gun.

Real wealth (in this case) is knowing about CAD files, knowing how to design things, to make/print them.

Having said that, I'm not sure what intellectual property rights Lego has etc.

Also, its gonna take maybe 5-10 years for us (at home) to print a piece (of lego) as good as Lego themselves make them.

I've tried, its not easy, the end results now are not up to actual Lego standards (yet).

Many companies should be worried...in 10-15 years, 3D printing will be everywhere.

yea there's a place that makes dentures and I'm wondering what will happen to them in a few years.
    I miss igotid88
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    igotid88 said:

yea there's a place that makes dentures and I'm wondering what will happen to them in a few years.

*-:) B-)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I'm just reading William Gibson's new novel The Peripheral, set in some undefined but slightly futuristic time when 3D printing appears to be the norm and you go to chain stores like "Fabbit" to have your goods made. A glimpse at what the world might be like if this is the reality; and yes, they do fab weapons. (a great read, by the way, for any interested)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Pap said:

igotid88 said:

*-:) B-)
    I bet Dentists themselves will have 3D printers in office to manufacture in house.

I'm just reading William Gibson's new novel The Peripheral, set in some undefined but slightly futuristic time when 3D printing appears to be the norm and you go to chain stores like "Fabbit" to have your goods made. A glimpse at what the world might be like if this is the reality; and yes, they do fab weapons. (a great read, by the way, for any interested)

Sounds interesting.

UPS,FedEx etc started experimenting with 3D printing in some locations, Staples too.

I've been working on Setting shop up, starting a school for 3D printing (for kids).
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    These things blow my mind.
    I am really enjoying watching things that are literally from the imagination of Gene Roddenberry become reality. Anyone else who is an ST: TNG nerd loving how modern technological advancement often stems from Star Trek ideas?? Like, for real? I think that's so cool!! :-B
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    This is an old pic of the first machine we printed with (In our work shop), we run a few printers now.

Our PC Lab,

I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote: »

Great video! :-bd 3D technology on the rescue! :D Thanks for sharing!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    edited May 2015
    3-D printers are fucking insane. I can't believe they're possible!! I am really looking forward to seeing what happens with this technology. Will they end up in every household? If so, we've basically got replicators for non-organic items. That's fucking nuts...... How long before we have food replicators?
    Anyone notice that everything that was invented for Star Trek: The Next Generation is actually becoming a reality?! They are even making early advances in teleportation now! And tricorders are also kind of a real thing now! Is this phenomenon the scientific world copying ideas from Start Trek: TNG, or was Roddenberry just really tapped into what scientists thought might eventually be possible??

Remember when video phones seemed insanely futuristic?? And self driving cars? Crazy man.

:glasses::glasses::glasses:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

3-D printers are fucking insane. I can't believe they're possible!! I am really looking forward to seeing what happens with this technology. Will they end up in every household? If so, we've basically got replicators for non-organic items. That's fucking nuts...... How long before we have food replicators?
    Anyone notice that everything that was invented for Star Trek: The Next Generation is actually becoming a reality?! They are even making early advances in teleportation now! And tricorders are also kind of a real thing now! Is this phenomenon the scientific world copying ideas from Start Trek: TNG, or was Roddenberry just really tapped into what scientists thought might eventually be possible??

Remember when video phones seemed insanely futuristic?? And self driving cars? Crazy man.

:glasses::glasses::glasses:

the closest I've seen to a food printer was the candy one
    I miss igotid88
    PJ_Soul said:

Is this phenomenon the scientific world copying ideas from Start Trek: TNG, or was Roddenberry just really tapped into what scientists thought might eventually be possible??

Same thing has happened with some of the James Bond's gadgets. Usually, all the amazing inventions that you see in the movies are not just in the director's imagination. Actually they are work in progress of some of the biggest scientific laboratories around the world, right at the time of production.

edited May 2015
    Pap said:

PJ_Soul said:

Is this phenomenon the scientific world copying ideas from Start Trek: TNG, or was Roddenberry just really tapped into what scientists thought might eventually be possible??

Same thing has happened with some of the James Bond's gadgets. Usually, all the amazing inventions that you see in the movies are not just in the director's imagination. Actually they are work in progress of some of the biggest scientific laboratories around the world, right at the time of production.

Fair enough, but teleportation and tricorders and replicators weren't even being attempted back in 1988 when Star Trek: TNG debuted, and especially not in the 60s, when the original Roddenberry came up with the idea of teleportation, were they?? Star Trek: TNG was cancelled back in 1995 or something like that. Definitely no 3D printing happening back then. The internet was only just coming into being then!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    edited May 2015
    Post edited by Pap on