Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• I really like my Pono so my opinion is just as biased as these sponsored, fake 'science' articles mentioned here, but the thing is if/when the Pono player fails high resolution digital music is not going away.
    HDtracks, Qobuz, Apple's version, the new ridiculously expensive Sony walkman etc.
    And heck who here is gonna gamble on not getting Moline in FlacHD from the Ten store in case they are missing out on something.

Plus Tea for the Tillerman in 24/192 is the balls.

• MayDay10 wrote: »
    Im considering getting rid of my Pono. I like it and all, its just a bit redundant. I have spent considerable $ on my vinyl collection, and also have volumes of digital music, mostly in shitty formats but its mostly for use on the go, loaded right into my cellphone. FLAC files play on poweramp. I find myself not really using the Pono.

MayDay10 please PM me if you are willing to sell it for a fair price. Cheers.
    2005 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Apoteose December 4th 2011 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Apoteose November 6th 2013 São Paulo, Brazil | Lollapalooza March 31st
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    edited February 2015
    Neil Young’s “HD Audio” PonoPlayer put up against iPhone, results fall flat http://pulse.me/s/3lm6Zu

Ouch again.

https://twitter.com/llsethj
    9to5Mac

I wonder how much Apple stock & Apple money went to his & David Pogue pockets writing these biased articles.

iPhone's sound hardware is much better then Pono's sound hardware? :/

Post edited by demetrios on
  • I have one of these that I loaded up with PJ. I'm thinking of trading or selling it. PM me if interested!
    edited February 2015
    The Pono Store really needs to fix their data base.

If you don't log in, this is what you see when you search for Pearl Jam.

3VcCQAl.png

But if you log in from a Canadian IP, this is all that you get ..

eEAYiyQ.png
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • 8bitj8bitj Posts: 98
    edited February 2015
    I feel obligated to chime in here. I bought a clear Pono in the kickstarter and it's 100% worth it. I hate the phrase audiophile because I'm poor and not a snob, but I absolutely care about sound quality and seem to have sensitive ears.

I'm still a fan of minidisc and have a good vinyl collection, owned a Cowon D2 and an iPod and several other mp3 players in-between. There are records I own that offer nothing in relation to their digital counterparts, and there are others that open new doors I didn't know existed.

For the majority of albums I've listened to on my Pono, the latter is true. The separation and clarity is amazing. In my car it makes a noticeable difference, but on halfway decent headphones it's a revelation. For relevance, I bought the HDFLAC versions of the Moline, St. Paul and Milwaukee PJ shows and they are overwhelming.

Obviously everyone is different, and just like I need glasses because my eyes are shit I'm sure some people's hearing doesn't distinguish certain things. That's why I'm wary of scattered opinions, positive and negative, about (high-end) audio and visual equipment. I'm the kind of person that won't bullshit myself to rationalize things. I would be hard-pressed to rate color saturation and pixel clarity on a comparable set of HDTVs, but I would confidently rate headphones and DAPs all day.

Like my vinyls, there are some albums that sound the same on my Pono as on my phone or through my computer. But for the most part Pono makes music burst, opens hidden layers and gives songs I've heard hundreds of times a separation and clairty that I frankly didn't think were possible.

*Edit: And yes, the software isn't great but I can drag-and-drop files, and I wish their Hi-Res library was significantly bigger/I won't be paying them for CD-quality FLAC files I can rip myself.
    Post edited by 8bitj on
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited February 2015
    Love Neil but this is mostly hyped bs...

"You can feel the difference" lol

Opinions are opinions and facts are facts... fact is essentially every expert and article I check says there is no difference to the human ear...

But to be fair, I have not listened, or "felt" it :)
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    8bitj wrote: »
    I feel obligated to chime in here. I bought a clear Pono in the kickstarter and it's 100% worth it. I hate the phrase audiophile because I'm poor and not a snob, but I absolutely care about sound quality and seem to have sensitive ears.

I'm still a fan of minidisc and have a good vinyl collection, owned a Cowon D2 and an iPod and several other mp3 players in-between. There are records I own that offer nothing in relation to their digital counterparts, and there are others that open new doors I didn't know existed.

For the majority of albums I've listened to on my Pono, the latter is true. The separation and clarity is amazing. In my car it makes a noticeable difference, but on halfway decent headphones it's a revelation. For relevance, I bought the HDFLAC versions of the Moline, St. Paul and Milwaukee PJ shows and they are overwhelming.

Obviously everyone is different, and just like I need glasses because my eyes are shit I'm sure some people's hearing doesn't distinguish certain things. That's why I'm wary of scattered opinions, positive and negative, about (high-end) audio and visual equipment. I'm the kind of person that won't bullshit myself to rationalize things. I would be hard-pressed to rate color saturation and pixel clarity on a comparable set of HDTVs, but I would confidently rate headphones and DAPs all day.

Like my vinyls, there are some albums that sound the same on my Pono as on my phone or through my computer. But for the most part Pono makes music burst, opens hidden layers and gives songs I've heard hundreds of times a separation and clairty that I frankly didn't think were possible.

*Edit: And yes, the software isn't great but I can drag-and-drop files, and I wish their Hi-Res library was significantly bigger/I won't be paying them for CD-quality FLAC files I can rip myself.

Very well said.... I agree with all of the above.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    8bitj wrote: »

Clearly your soul has been affected - just like Neil wants it to be with this player.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    FINALLY recieved my player today after countless fuck ups from pono customer service. Giving a listen to lb now. The drums are more present and full compared to what i have heard up until now. Will have to do more kistening before i can chime in more than that.
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited February 2015
    Schabs78 said:

I'm faced with a major dilemma. A guy offered me $800 for my PJ Pono loaded with my 60 bootlegs. I have a Foo's Pono also but he wants the PJ. Part of me doesn't want to let it go but the money would help.

Did you decide??
    You can just copy the boots onto the Foos Pono, no? If so, you're getting $800 for a Pono. Seems like a good deal for you!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Not a fan of the Pono Store. https://ponomusic.force.com/

The search engine needs a lot of work. If you're a fan of Neil Young, only 6 releases are available https://ponomusic.force.com/ccrz__CCPage?pageKey=search&searchText=neil young . And they are all 16bit 44kHz quality.

Their Pearl Jam page still hasn't updated. Only Lightning Bolt is available in the Canada store, while the USA store has much much more.

Music companies will never understand. This is why a lot of fan's turn to torrents. You don't make the product available for purchase to fan's outside the USA? A "digital download" product? So the fan's outside the USA turn to downloading the albums for free via torrent. It's the companies fault. While the artist take a hit. Great job! :/
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    demetrios said:

The search engine needs a lot of work. If you're a fan of Neil Young, only 6 releases are available https://ponomusic.force.com/ccrz__CCPage?pageKey=search&searchText=neil young . And they are all 16bit 44kHz quality.

Their Pearl Jam page still hasn't updated. Only Lightning Bolt is available in the Canada store, while the USA store has much much more.

Music companies will never understand. This is why a lot of fan's turn to torrents. You don't make the product available for purchase to fan's outside the USA? A "digital download" product? So the fan's outside the USA turn to downloading the albums for free via torrent. It's the companies fault. While the artist take a hit. Great job! :/

The prices for some of the CD-quality albums are ridiculous, too.
    edited February 2015
    I don't understand paying for digital files of music, to each his own... I have recently switched to all vinyl if I purchase music, and most of the new albums come with a mp3 code or a cd so you get the best of both worlds... if you take care of your records you can physically own them forever...
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    my2hands said:

I don't understand paying for digital files of music, to each his own... I have recently switched to all vinyl if I purchase music, and most of the new albums come with a mp3 code or a cd so you get the best of both worlds... if you take care of your records you can physically own them forever...

Just curious, have you noticed some of the newer vinyls don't sound as good as the old ones? I got a bunch of old classics on vinyl for Christmas, and they sound amazing (some Neil Young, Zeppelin, Who), but I've bought a few more recent releases that just sound okay. Maybe its just a fluke.

demetrios said:

I have no idea why Neil would open the business and sell regular CD 16Bit 44kHz quality rips on the site. He should of focused exclusively on 24Bit audio. Like HDtracks.com, they don't sell 16Bit audio. It's all 24Bit. 44kHz & higher. To put all those CD rips up there & charge that price is a little crazy. It turns away customers. Yeah I get down the road when the album does get released on 24Bit your 16Bit purchase get's upgrade at no charge, but what if there is no upgrade to 24Bit, like EVER? You're stuck with the CD 16bit Flac. They should get rid of all that at their store.
    my2hands said:

I don't understand paying for digital files of music, to each his own... I have switched to all vinyl if I purchase music, and most of the new albums come with a mp3 code or a cd so you get the best of both worlds... if you take care of your records you can physically own them forever...

Still not sure why uncle neil went in this direction

If the highest quality live Pearl Jam show is only available on digital format and not physically, I would buy it. Well, I will buy all digital HD Pearl Jam if it's available to me in the highest quality available. But if the digital product is not available for me to purchase cause I live in Canada and it's exclusive to the USA as what Pono is doing at the moment, then I will download it freely from friends or through torrents.

Like today's video game business, it blows my mine how a digital product is more expensive then owning the physical product. It doesn't make sense.
    demetrios said:

demetrios said:

I have no idea why Neil would open the business and sell regular CD 16Bit 44kHz quality rips on the site. He should of focused exclusively on 24Bit audio. Like HDtracks.com, they don't sell 16Bit audio. It's all 24Bit. 44kHz & higher. To put all those CD rips up there & charge that price is a little crazy. It turns away customers. Yeah I get down the road when the album does get released on 24Bit your 16Bit purchase get's upgrade at no charge, but what if there is no upgrade to 24Bit, like EVER? You're stuck with the CD 16bit Flac. They should get rid of all that at their store.
    my2hands said:

I don't understand paying for digital files of music, to each his own... I have switched to all vinyl if I purchase music, and most of the new albums come with a mp3 code or a cd so you get the best of both worlds... if you take care of your records you can physically own them forever...

Still not sure why uncle neil went in this direction

If the highest quality live Pearl Jam show is only available on digital format and not physically, I would buy it. Well, I will buy all digital HD Pearl Jam if it's available to me in the highest quality available. But if the digital product is not available for me to purchase cause I live in Canada and it's exclusive to the USA as what Pono is doing at the moment, then I will download it freely from friends or through torrents.

Like today's video game business, it blows my mine how a digital product is more expensive then owning the physical product. It doesn't make sense.
    Totally agree, not sure why neil even went down this road, but they should stick strictly to 24, otherwise what is the point? And with Neil being a canadian, not sure why he is fucking with you guys like that lol

edited February 2015
    It doesn't bother me that CD-quality music is in the Pono store, if that's the highest possible resolution. No other store sells it that way, at least none that I am aware of. Amazon is mp3. iTunes is aac. What bothers me is that the prices need to be more competitive in order to compete with Amazon and iTunes.

For example, in the Pono store, they have My Morning Jacket's Circuital in CD-quality, 16-bit, 44kHz. (Why they don't have the 24-bit version that came with the LE MMJ player is another question entirely). The price in the Pono store is $15.29 for a 10 track download with no liner notes. The CD price on Amazon is $10.00. Even when you factor shipping in, it'll come out less than the Pono store.

Hmm, after writing that out and thinking about it, maybe you guys are right and they shouldn't even bother with CD-quality downloads as long as the CD is still readily available. Doesn't seem worth it at all unless they can get a hold of out-of-print CDs.
    Post edited by darthvedder on
  • FastrichieFastrichie Sandy Hook, CT Posts: 915
    sorry if this has been mentioned, but there are PJ ponos for sale on the pono website.
    04/06/94 Springfield, 04/17/94 NYC, 10/02/96 Hartford, 11/14/97 Oakland, 09/08/98 NJ, 09/10/98 MSG, 09/11/98 MSG, 09/13/98 Hartford, 08/24/00 Jones Beach, 08/25/00 Jones Beach 04/30/03 Uniondale, 07/08/03 MSG, 07/09/03 MSG, 09/28/04 Boston, 10/01/05 Borgata, 10/03/05 Philly, 05/13/06 Hartford 05/25/06 Boston, 06/01/06 NJ, 06/03/06 NJ, 08/05/07 Chicago, 06/24/08 MSG, 06/25/08 MSG, 06/27/08 Hartford, 06/30/08 Mansfield, 07/01/08 The Beacon, 08/21/09 Toronto, 10/27/09 Philly, 10/28/09 Philly, 10/30/09 Philly, 10/31/09 Philly, 05/15/2010 Hartford, 05/17/2010 Boston, 05/20/2010 MSG, 05/21/2010 MSG, Montreal 09/07/2011, Philly 09/01/2012, Wrigley 07/19-20,2013, Worcester 10/16/13, Brooklyn 10/18, Brooklyn 10/19/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Ed Sullivan 09/23/2015, Central Park 09/26/2015 Philly 04/29/2016. MSG 05/01/2016, MSG 05/02/2016, Fenway 08/05/2016, Fenway 08/07/2016, Brooklyn 04/07/2017, Seattle 08/08/2018, Seattle 08/10/2018, Chicago 08/20/2018, Fenway 09/02/2018, Fenway 09/04/2018, Asbury Park 09/18/2021, Apollo Theater 09/10/2022, MSG 09/11/2022, Camden 09/14/2022

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

sorry if this has been mentioned, but there are PJ ponos for sale on the pono website.

Yea, saw that $499.
    MedozK said:

Yea, saw that $499.
    Yep. With 2 in stock.

Many other signature series Pono Players for sale too.
    While updating my playlist I accidentally erased the pre-loaded songs from the pono player (the neil young song and the 2 pj albums). Anyone know how to restore them?
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

• RD101189RD101189 A distant time, a distant space Posts: 454
    And the Pono team swore up and down the signature editions would not be available after the campaign ended....
    demetrios said:

MedozK said:

Yea, saw that $499.
    Yep. With 2 in stock.

Many other signature series Pono Players for sale too.
    09/08/1992 - Phoenix, AZ
    07/08/1998 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/21/2000 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/22/2014 - Denver, CO
    05/09/2022 - Phoenix, AZ
    09/22/2022 - Denver, CO
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    these have to be orders that weren't paid for or unshipped for some reason. if these were manufactured but not able to be shipped, then they should definitely try and sell them. if they ever offer NEW versions of these, then yeah, that would kind of be upsetting.
    So I am uploading music to the additional memory card and the transfer rate is extremely slow. I am getting 0.1 MB as opposed to 3MB when transferring music to the internal memory drive. Any one else have this problem? What can I do to speed things along?

rafie said:

So I am uploading music to the additional memory card and the transfer rate is extremely slow. I am getting 0.1 MB as opposed to 3MB when transferring music to the internal memory drive. Any one else have this problem? What can I do to speed things along?

Does your computer have a card reader? I suppose you could plug the card into your computer instead of the Pono and see if that's faster.

rafie said:

Does your computer have a card reader? I suppose you could plug the card into your computer instead of the Pono and see if that's faster.
    i ended up reinstalling the pono music world program. Seems to have done the trick.

The HD audio revolution: how music streaming is going high-end, and why you’re going to love it

http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2015/02/digital-audio-revolution.html

• BubbaBubba Posts: 630
    Man I wish I checked this thread when they had those 2 available...ugh
    @pono

Someone pointed out that @Pono looks a bit like a certain brand of chocolate. We promise ours goes down smoother...