The Idiot Thread

Comments

• Programmed idiots. And idiotic on so many levels.

Sad that their kids had to pay the price for their idiocy.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/utah-parents-talked-of-apocalypse-killed-children-then-selves/ar-AA8FASN
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Another example of the idiotic Canadian justice system: when convicted, a criminal is credited 2 to 1 (I'm pretty sure) for pre-trial detention, apparently many criminals don't seek bail because of this.

"The world is full of idiots, and I am but one."
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Another example of the idiotic Canadian justice system: when convicted, a criminal is credited 2 to 1 (I'm pretty sure) for pre-trial detention, apparently many criminals don't seek bail because of this.

"The world is full of idiots, and I am but one."
    Well, this was in place for some sound legal reasons, one of which is because when one is in pre-trial detention one has not yet been found guilty and so is still legally considered innocent. Detention of someone not yet found guilty is not an issue to be taken lightly. It's obviously necessary in many instances when the risks are high (particularly flight risk or risk to the public). It also recognized other realities, such as the conditions in pre-trial detention.

In any case, this practice had been abolished years ago, although a recent legal decision opens the doors to the potential for a slight credit (more like 1.5:1 rather than 2:1).

More info from a 2014 article below:

The sentencing “discount” had evolved to recognize that pre-trial custody in a remand jail is hard time, in overcrowded conditions with no access to treatment or rehabilitative programs. It is also “dead time” that doesn’t count toward any eventual parole or early release eligibility.

The Criminal Code allowed sentence credits of 2-to-1 for each day in pre-trial custody, sometimes even rising to 3-to-1 in exceptional circumstances.

But the federal Conservatives argued the justice system had become too soft on criminals at the expense of victims. They knocked the credit down to a day-for-a-day, or 1-to-1. The maximum credit allowed would be only 1.5 days credit for a day served pre-sentence.

In a unanimous 7-0 decision, the high court Friday agreed the law sets out a new starting point, that 1:1 is the general rule.

But it said the limit could be exceeded in many cases, rising to the 1.5 -1 maximum, to reflect the fact pre-trial remand time doesn’t count toward parole or early release eligibility.

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • hedonist wrote: »

An idiot for sure.

Hedo... if you have the stomache for it... look at the 'in other news' story under the story you linked: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/california-man-charged-with-killing-newborn-daughter/ar-AA8Gwlu?ocid=HPCDHP

Un-freaking-believable.

A 'similar' case came up in the DP thread... and I thought that was a once in lifetime crime. Apparently not. It's no longer toddlers for some... it's now infants.

Sometimes it's better not to look too far into world news.

Regardless... this 'idiot' qualifies for the lowest of threads we could possibly offer.
    Oops, thanks for the clarification. Rather see some sort of compensation for those found not guilty, but realize that'd be tricky to figure out (and potentially expensive).

As I said, I am but one (idiot), lol.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist wrote: »

An idiot for sure.

Hedo... if you have the stomache for it... look at the 'in other news' story under the story you linked: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/california-man-charged-with-killing-newborn-daughter/ar-AA8Gwlu?ocid=HPCDHP

Un-freaking-believable.

A 'similar' case came up in the DP thread... and I thought that was a once in lifetime crime. Apparently not. It's no longer toddlers for some... it's now infants.

Sometimes it's better not to look too far into world news.

Regardless... this 'idiot' qualifies for the lowest of threads we could possibly offer.
    Jesus.

This has been in the news here and bad enough to kill your own daughter - your baby - I had no idea what else he did to / with her. Simply can't get my head around that.

• Oops, thanks for the clarification. Rather see some sort of compensation for those found not guilty, but realize that'd be tricky to figure out (and potentially expensive).

I'm not too sure why those found guilty should gain an advantage from such a policy?

I did read: the sentencing “discount” had evolved to recognize that pre-trial custody in a remand jail is hard time, in overcrowded conditions with no access to treatment or rehabilitative programs... however... who cares? You committed a crime. We are supposed to essentially apologize for the more difficult time served by reducing the sentence?

My suggestion? Plead guilty if you are guilty and get going with the 'nicer' time behind bars.
    Oops, thanks for the clarification. Rather see some sort of compensation for those found not guilty, but realize that'd be tricky to figure out (and potentially expensive).

I'm not too sure why those found guilty should gain an advantage from such a policy?

I did read: the sentencing “discount” had evolved to recognize that pre-trial custody in a remand jail is hard time, in overcrowded conditions with no access to treatment or rehabilitative programs... however... who cares? You committed a crime. We are supposed to essentially apologize for the more difficult time served by reducing the sentence?

My suggestion? Plead guilty if you are guilty and get going with the 'nicer' time behind bars.

That's why I'd see those found not guilty compensated in some way, as opposed to letting "those found guilty...gain an advantage from such a policy." It's a sticky situation indeed, and sad that people are often encouraged to not take responsibility for their actions. Every time I've broken the law (and, admittedly, been caught, I don't volunteer things to the police, lol) by speeding or other things, I know I've done it and willingly paid the price, but I know that's the exception nowadays. I'm nowhere near a career criminal though, just an occasional speeder and pothead, lol.

Not to put all the blame on lawyers or anything, but I think a lot of the problems stem from the legal advice being given. The lawyers advise what they see to be in the best interests of their client, which is to delay. delay, delay the eventual court appearance in the hope that witnesses will drop out of sight, memories will fade, evidence may get lost, and/or the individual can "prove" how well they are doing if they aren't rearrested in the intervening time. However, this serves to add huge delays, grossly increases court costs and causes logjams in the court system. Most people take the advice of their lawyers because hey, they're the experts.
  • Not to put all the blame on lawyers or anything, but I think a lot of the problems stem from the legal advice being given. The lawyers advise what they see to be in the best interests of their client, which is to delay. delay, delay the eventual court appearance in the hope that witnesses will drop out of sight, memories will fade, evidence may get lost, and/or the individual can "prove" how well they are doing if they aren't rearrested in the intervening time. However, this serves to add huge delays, grossly increases court costs and causes logjams in the court system. Most people take the advice of their lawyers because hey, they're the experts.

Lawyers.
    Not to put all the blame on lawyers or anything, but I think a lot of the problems stem from the legal advice being given. The lawyers advise what they see to be in the best interests of their client, which is to delay. delay, delay the eventual court appearance in the hope that witnesses will drop out of sight, memories will fade, evidence may get lost, and/or the individual can "prove" how well they are doing if they aren't rearrested in the intervening time. However, this serves to add huge delays, grossly increases court costs and causes logjams in the court system. Most people take the advice of their lawyers because hey, they're the experts.

Lawyers.

Not sure if that's agreement or not ;) .
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    webberto.jpg
  • Jason P wrote: »
    webberto.jpg
    Did you watch the documentary (I think 30 for 30)?

There was an assistant coach (or some other team personnel guy) on Michigan's bench standing up and signalling for a timeout to Webber. It hasn't been ascertained whether or not Webber saw the guy and called it or not... but it's clear Webber wasn't the only guy who didn't know they were out of timeouts.

When I think of basketball players as idiots... there's a long list.

When I think of athletes as idiots... there's a massive list- think of Aaron Hernandez.
    This is what happens when you decide to drive a Lamborghini Huracan at 215 mph on a public highway ... These two idiots should be up for the Darwin Award nominees except they both somehow survived ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHp3jqRj-jg
    Some dude out here crashed his limited edition Lambo (worth $450K) into a light pole when he swerved to avoid hitting an animal.

Ouch.

Talking about idiots, I nominate myself for a minor award. My 10C membership renewal showed when I checked my bank statement online, but I didn't recognize the name (the fuck is modlife?) and flagged the pending charge, which in turn canceled my debit card. What a pain in the ass I caused for myself :-w
  • Jason P wrote: »
    This is what happens when you decide to drive a Lamborghini Huracan at 215 mph on a public highway ... These two idiots should be up for the Darwin Award nominees except they both somehow survived ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHp3jqRj-jg

Idiots yes... but that car is responsive. The accelerations and decelerations are crazy.

The driver doesn't 'fit' in that car. It looks like his knees are pressed against the windshield.

* At about the 0:45 second mark... there`s an idiot as well- they never bothered to note there was a rocket flying down the left lane and they casually signalled into it preparing to pass the car going 75kmh in front of them at a speed of 80kmh (laa-dee-daa-dee-daa-dee-daa-zzzzzzzzzzz).

I get you don't normally expect something like that on your typical Sunday afternoon drive... but come on, man... pay attention.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Jason. How do you know they survived?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    edited January 2015
    callen wrote: »
    Jason. How do you know they survived?

News reports. The passenger sustained pretty severe injuries and the driver is under charges of reckless endangerment.

Might be a feather in the cap for Lambo's safety record. Makes those Volkswagon commercials where people get in accidents at 30 mph look like a bunch of wussies.
    Post edited by Jason P on
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    Stimpy.jpg
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    I'm only posting here because of the title. It just wouldn't be complete and legitimate without my stamp on it. 8-}
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
    Stimpy.jpg

Stimpy! But surely you aren't suggesting he's an idiot??
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    Stimpy.jpg

ren always called him a "fat, bloated, eeeediot!!!"

haha
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    Stimpy.jpg

ren always called him a "fat, bloated, eeeediot!!!"

haha

Happy happy joy joy.
  • While we're at it: Chief Inspector Clouseau.

Arguably the most successful idiot of all time.
    OK, I know there are a few incarnations of Clouseau (and I completely forgot about the cartoon one!), so I did a little search to declare my love of Sellers' version (Steve Martin's? yawn).

I've had a long-time thing for him anyway, then found this. An offer I can't refuse :D
    c3b00bcc129188a4243b4c1ea42cd386.jpg
  • This Clouseau incident was the defining moment for Clouseau. He's at his finest:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gF2WO-JZ0WY
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,425
    I see now, I thought this was a general thread about congress.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat wrote: »
    I see now, I thought this was a general thread about congress.

Haha!

It's kinda fair game. Keep resident 10C nominations to yourself though (even though it has become somewhat obvious how some feel for others though).

* I'm gun shy to use the emoticons such as the laughing one. Every time I use one it feels as if I spun the roulette wheel based one what appears after I hit 'post' (that don't look like no Big Mac).
  • Idiot cop handcuffs 'drunk' 17 year old girl in back of police van... with convicted, serial sex offender.

Apparently goes for donuts or something like that... and... well... you can guess what happened:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/canadian-woman-suing-police-who-locked-her-in-van-with-sex-offender-who-then-raped-her/ar-AA8O75n

How stupid can a person be? This cop falls into the 'human embodiment of Homer Simpson idiot' category.