Options

Charlie Hebdo Paris shooting: 12 dead after gunmen storm newspaper's HQ

Comments

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    But I invited you to a BBQ gf, isn't that nice of me? I thought I was being nice. Or maybe you can contact "your" contacts and have a drone drop a bomb on us enjoying the BBQ. There will be a few of us Muslims there. But there also be some non-Muslims. I guess u can call them collateral damage. That's a common phrase you war mongers use when shit goes astray.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin wrote: »
    When did printing cartoons become bullying? Having your office firebombed is being bullied. Murdering 12 cartoonists is bullying. Printing cartoons is not bullying.

When did everyone become so thin skinned?
    Think about your question. If we're still using a schoolyard analogy - would a kid not get in shit for creating and passing around a degrading cartoon about a classmate or their beliefs? It's still bullying.
    And the cartoons are only the tip of the iceberg - you're making the same mistake GF just did. you're ignoring all of the context and nuance, which is the whole problem with this discussion. This didn't happen over free speech and offensive cartoons! might have been the trigger, but these people didn't start down an extremist path when they read these cartoons - there is much more to it.

I understand the complexities of the situation, and I'm not arguing that we shouldn't look deeper, but sometimes we need to take a step back and look at the simplicities of the situation.....if that makes any sense.

I think arguing about who the bully here is may be a chicken and egg thing. I still don't see making cartoons as an aggressive act. Killing most definitely is.

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited January 2015
    I sometimes wonder what opinions would be shared if it were proven that one of these attacks was coordinated or coerced by western intelligence. Where would that leave the people who scream about free speech and call for violent retribution?
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    Dig - right...chicken or the egg begins before the cartoons and the killing.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    badbrains wrote: »
    But I invited you to a BBQ gf, isn't that nice of me? I thought I was being nice. Or maybe you can contact "your" contacts and have a drone drop a bomb on us enjoying the BBQ. There will be a few of us Muslims there. But there also be some non-Muslims. I guess u can call them collateral damage. That's a common phrase you war mongers use when shit goes astray.

very kind indeed...my "contacts" would never spoil a good BBQ and beside eastern food is not for me but thank you anyway.
    but seriously if it where closer I would show up just see the look on your face when I showed up and I'd bet it wouldn't be as bad you think.

Godfather.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    As long as a certain band was playing and the sun was shining I'm betting we would all get along just fine at BB's BBQ.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Hahahaha eastern food? Hahahaha no gf, we're actually making REAL authentic California food, carne asada tacos and chicken tacos, rice and beans. And let's be REAL here, LA is big but not that big. I've been driving around the whole week bro. Stop kidding yourself. Everyone else is more then welcome.

Edit-last night I went from LA to Costa Mesa in 45 mins. That's LA-Costa Mesa, by Newport Beach. Gas is expensive but not that expensive. Hahaha. It's 2.39 a gallon now. Was 3.99 when I moved back to jersey on 2011. Hahaha
    Post edited by badbrains on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,733
    I sometimes wonder what opinions would be shared of it were proven that one of these attacks was coordinated or coerced by western intelligence. Where would that leave the people who scream about free speech and call for violent retribution?

I was imagining a similar scenario, Drowned Out. It's difficult to think that this could happen and I'm not a big fan of conspiracy theories, but it is an interesting question to ponder.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    And now back to charlie hedbo. Interesting thought drowned out. It would be a scary scary world......
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    brianlux wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder what opinions would be shared of it were proven that one of these attacks was coordinated or coerced by western intelligence. Where would that leave the people who scream about free speech and call for violent retribution?

I was imagining a similar scenario, Drowned Out. It's difficult to think that this could happen and I'm not a big fan of conspiracy theories, but it is an interesting question to ponder.

Why is it difficult to think it could happen? There are many examples of similar scenarios that have been verified and admitted to by western powers...conspiracies? Yes. Theories? No.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    I imagine we will start seeing articles soon that assert such involvement by western intelligence, but I doubt we will ever reach a consensus that the charges have been "proven".

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    but I am not going to print anything that is just an obvious attempt to incite rage.

Don't know whose quote this was but if people are going to rage about a comic, the bank getting robbed, the fact the person beside me on the bus can't speak any of the two official languages of the country I live in, etc., they may well just off themselves to save the rest of us who can get along with the way the world runs. Incite rage, SWEET!

Don't like the new country you want to call home and the way they run their bizniz, just fuck off back home. Nobody will miss you. And while you are their don't open a magazine that will put you in a rage.

People on this board trying to defend killing because you are outraged. Fucking odd balls!

I'll say it again in hopes that people can actually fucking get this through their heads: no one is defending killing. NOT ONE PERSON.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JimmyV wrote: »
    When did printing cartoons become bullying? Having your office firebombed is being bullied. Murdering 12 cartoonists is bullying. Printing cartoons is not bullying.

I don't know, but it is a good question.

how would you feel if someone printed a cartoon of one of your loved ones, or someone you respect, or whatever, being fucked in the ass by a donkey, or whatever the hell it was? i'm pretty sure that's the very definition of bullying.

if there was a magazine out there with ed getting anally raped by scott stapp, this place would fucking explode.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    paulonious wrote: »

how would you feel if someone printed a cartoon of one of your loved ones, or someone you respect, or whatever, being fucked in the ass by a donkey, or whatever the hell it was? i'm pretty sure that's the very definition of bullying.

if there was a magazine out there with ed getting anally raped by scott stapp, this place would fucking explode.

It would upset me. Would I go murder that person? No.

• Options

didn't say you would. but you agreed with dignin originally that printing a cartoon was not bullying, which was my point.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

didn't say you would. but you agreed with dignin originally that printing a cartoon was not bullying, which was my point.

Upsetting someone is not the same as bullying them. Those aren't synonymous terms.

• Options
    If the attacks result in Charlie Hebdo exercising restraint for fear of extreme retribution, then they have been bullied and effectively censored.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    All is well between France and America again ....

z2pvaj11pdj8qtvjjucg.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQSkuDWhaAo
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    That's just a bit too close for comfort. Looks like a twirling dance or soulful kiss is about to happen.
  • Options
    badbrains wrote: »
    Hahahaha eastern food? Hahahaha no gf, we're actually making REAL authentic California food, carne asada tacos and chicken tacos, rice and beans. And let's be REAL here, LA is big but not that big. I've been driving around the whole week bro. Stop kidding yourself. Everyone else is more then welcome.

Edit-last night I went from LA to Costa Mesa in 45 mins. That's LA-Costa Mesa, by Newport Beach. Gas is expensive but not that expensive. Hahaha. It's 2.39 a gallon now. Was 3.99 when I moved back to jersey on 2011. Hahaha

carne asada tacos and chicken tacos, rice and beans...yes that is a BBQ ! sounds awesome.

Godfather.

• Options
    Jason P wrote: »
    All is well between France and America again ....

z2pvaj11pdj8qtvjjucg.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQSkuDWhaAo

ahhh dude ! that picture makes my guts turn please make it go away HAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHA

Godfather.

• Options

Upsetting someone is not the same as bullying them. Those aren't synonymous terms.

now you are just arguing semantics.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

No I'm not. You claimed bullying. I don't see it. Showing that someone may have been upset by something is not showing someone was bullied. People are upset by things all the time, both rightly and wrongly. Someone being upset by something is not proof someone was bullied. That is not semantics.

• Options

No I'm not. You claimed bullying. I don't see it. Showing that someone may have been upset by something is not showing someone was bullied. People are upset by things all the time, both rightly and wrongly. Someone being upset by something is not proof someone was bullied. That is not semantics.

I know those words aren't synonymous.....but in the context I presented, I think it's pretty clear that it would be considered bullying. put that same situation in the classroom, or the workplace, etc, and it's considered bullying. putting it in mass media is no different. it's just a different vehicle.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    We obviously have a different view of what is and isn't bullying.

• Options
    If the attacks result in Charlie Hebdo exercising restraint for fear of extreme retribution, then they have been bullied and effectively censored.

100% agree.

• Options

100% agree.

I would also agree with that.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2015
    callen wrote: »
    Every newspaper, magazine, tv show should show image of Mohamed. Then we stop being considerate and call out all gods as BS. How can we as a seemingly intelligent species continue this charade. Humans.
    That is a great idea.

I wonder what kind of cartoon would be drawn about this article?
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/12/saudi-arabia-snowmen-winter-fatwa
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    callen wrote: »
    Every newspaper, magazine, tv show should show image of Mohamed. Then we stop being considerate and call out all gods as BS. How can we as a seemingly intelligent species continue this charade. Humans.
    That is a great idea.

I wonder what kind of cartoon would be drawn about this article?
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/12/saudi-arabia-snowmen-winter-fatwa

And some people wonder why others of us make fun of religion. Arguing that a snowman made in the likeness of man is sinful? That sure is a lusty and erotic snowman and is clearly "anti-Islamic." :|
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,733
    brianlux wrote: »

Why is it difficult to think it could happen? There are many examples of similar scenarios that have been verified and admitted to by western powers...conspiracies? Yes. Theories? No.

No you're right, it's not difficult to think that it could happen, it's difficult and unsettling to think that maybe it did happen. Many theories surrounding conspiracies have been debunked... but of course, not all. That is unsettling.

Now, folks, here's something that I've been hesitant to mention but I'll throw it out there because I'm curious as to whether or not this makes sense:

Not too many years ago, many Americans were bashing the French because of France's opposition to the invasion of Iraq. We even went so far as to rename "French Fries"- "Freedom Fries". For some people here, everything French was evil.

So this afternoon, while I was rummaging around in a local thrift store, the Rush Limbaugh show was being aired on that stores radio (always nice to have some entertainment going while shopping). The commentators were practically falling all over themselves talking about how we really need to rally to support the French people in the wake of the Charlie Hebo shootings.

Now look, don't get me wrong. I'm NOT saying we should condone the shooting or that we should not have compassion for the French people. What I am questioning is why some segments of our population seem to be rather fickle when it comes to running the gamut from Franceophobia to Frenchophilia.

Is this a stretch?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.