Evolution v. Creationism Debate

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    JWPearl said:

1, God does not answer all prayers, if you are not pleasing him or are doing wrong?
    2.Some things happen for a reason so what you praying for may not be what God has planned for you because his thoughts are higher than ours and you dont know whats best for you in his eyes not your own?
    3.Are you praying to the right God?
    4. We live in the devils world, even Gods son died on a cross, what did you do?
    5.Do you love God enough to be noticed?
    6.Is what your asking for a sin ?

im leaving this thread that should be enough
    you can, go study monkeys,apes and their desire of spirituality,

I'm curious to read your own answers to the questions you posed.

Can't deny the depth in the eyes of apes. Not mine to say if they know what spirituality is by our terms, but there's certainly a love and loyalty among them. Monkeys too.
  • dignin said:
    I like the 10C gathering at :05 of the clip!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • JWPearl said:

1, God does not answer all prayers, if you are not pleasing him or are doing wrong?
    2.Some things happen for a reason so what you praying for may not be what God has planned for you because his thoughts are higher than ours and you dont know whats best for you in his eyes not your own?
    3.Are you praying to the right God?
    4. We live in the devils world, even Gods son died on a cross, what did you do?
    5.Do you love God enough to be noticed?
    6.Is what your asking for a sin ?

im leaving this thread that should be enough
    you can, go study monkeys,apes and their desire of spirituality,

Just would like to ask you the same question I asked a fellow friend on this thread. How old do you believe the earth is?
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I can't believe people call this a debate. To think that people really believe an invisible man created the earth out of thin air seems very odd to me. I really would like to think that even the smartest god fearing religious people could understand that a god didn't create the earth and universe.

For those that believe in creationism, which god created the earth? The Christian God? Buddha? Do other religions (other than Christianity) believe in a creationism?
  • RSRRSR British Columbia, Canada Posts: 44
    The Ape video reminds me of something ... the degeneration of all threads. I think we did it! :))

I've been a Pearl Jam fan since I was 13 and first heard Ament's opening to Jeremy on the radio. To this day, Pearl Jam continues to inspire and challenge me to not just be better, but to be great.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    JWPearl, I don't know anything about your educational/work background, but I'm guessing you haven't done postgrad studies in biology or you would know that indeed we see evidence of ongoing evolution all the time. One example - you are going to the doctor. I have no idea what for, but if you should happen to get diagnosed with a bacterial infection and the doctor prescribes antibiotics there would be some chance that your infection would not respond to those antibiotics. Why? Because the bacteria have evolved resistance to them. And that is something that has only happened in the tiny moment, geologically speaking, since we first developed antibiotics - a mere few decades.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2014
    RSR said:

The Ape video reminds me of something ... the degeneration of all threads. I think we did it!

What Ape video? We did what?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I love this thread, it's the gift that keeps on giving.

dignin said:
    Bah!

dignin said:
    that ape video :)

I've been a Pearl Jam fan since I was 13 and first heard Ament's opening to Jeremy on the radio. To this day, Pearl Jam continues to inspire and challenge me to not just be better, but to be great.
    RSR said:

The Ape video reminds me of something ... the degeneration of all threads. I think we did it! :))

Oh man, we've all been there....and iv'e played many of these roles.
  • RSR said:

dignin said:
    that ape video :)

Oh. Thought it meant this one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGy2es-KbK8
    mind = blown. Puts new light on the relationship between people and animals. It seems like it could have gone either way. Another basic ape, or an advanced rational communicating being who ask questions like "why am I here", "what is the meaning of life", "how can I make the world a better more awesome place" and "what's in that casserole?".
    dignin said:

dignin said:
    Bah!
    The Simps episode with Dr. Zaius is on right now.

Perfecto!
  • hedonist said:

dignin said:

dignin said:
    Bah!

Perfecto!
    I watched Beneath the Planet of the Apes the other night.

There's a lot of synchronicity going on right now.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    RSR said:

mind = blown. Puts new light on the relationship between people and animals. It seems like it could have gone either way. Another basic ape, or an advanced rational communicating being who ask questions like "why am I here", "what is the meaning of life", "how can I make the world a better more awesome place" and "what's in that casserole?".

And I just realized I forgot to welcome you to the board, RSR from British Columbia, Canada. Good to have another BCer here.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

hedonist said:

dignin said:

dignin said:
    Bah!

Perfecto!
    I watched Beneath the Planet of the Apes the other night.

There's a lot of synchronicity going on right now.
    You're telling me, mister. You're telling me.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    tell me this then,
    why do i not see monkeys or the yetty coming out of the bushes and evolving into humans before my very eyes,
    i refuse to answer nonsense in evolution
  • JWPearl said:

tell me this then,

How old is the earth?
  • JWPearl said:

tell me this then,
    why do i not see monkeys or the yetty coming out of the bushes and evolving into humans before my very eyes,

First... the yetti is a work of fiction just like some other characters in this thread.

Second... come on, man. You demand to see monkeys evolve before your very eyes... yet you are willing to go 'all in' on a magic man nobody has ever seen that promises 1,000 virgins... sorry... I mean eternal life in a really awesome place.
    yes i do actually , gradually on camera,
    and evolution doesnt astral travel and see the surpreme one like some have said...
  • JWPearl said:

yes i do actually , gradually on camera,
    and evolution doesnt astral travel and see the surpreme one like some have said...

I have to be that guy that calls you out.
    How old is the earth in your mind JWPearl?

JWPearl said:

tell me this then,

Maybe because you refuse to see? And, it's not a "here I am, watch me evolve!" type of thing.

Shit takes time.

We all take time.

Don't you?

To write it off as nonsense strikes me as nonsensical, or at least willfully blind.

(kinda wanted to avoid quoting the lyric but fuck it - it's evolution, baby)

Well I'd say 6000-7000 years, because 1000years the bibles equivalent of 1 day of Gods and he took 6 days for him to create things and on the 7th day he rested which is for us now, he's still resting you could say if you want to look at it that way,
    2 peter 3:8
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    JWPearl said:

Well I'd say 6000-7000 years, because 1000years the bibles equivalent of 1 day of Gods and he took 6 days for him to create things and on the 7th day he rested which is for us now, he's still resting you could say if you want to look at it that way,
    2 peter 3:8

Oh wow. Really?
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for the welcome. I just moved to BC a few years ago. I love it out here. The pace of life is so much slower than out East.

Ok ... JWPearl. I hear you. 1 day is literally is a thousand years. I know the bible reference, but you are missing something. It actually says that one day is LIKE a thousand years to God, and a thousand years LIKE a day. First of all, it's parallelism, which means the meaning is something you don't get from 'just reading it'. You have to decipher it a bit.

And that "like" makes both parts of the statement similes about the nature of God. It's a figure of speech. It isn't stating a fact about the nature of the earth or time. It's really just saying God will act when God acts, so stop worrying so much and start living your life to it's fullest potential.

So where does that leave us? maybe one day is just a day. But then you have a God who makes things way out of order. The sun is made on day 4, but there is evening and morning on days 1-3. And light is made on day 1. But the sun is needed for light, evening and morning. Uh oh. This should be a giant clue that what you see isn't what you get with Genesis 1. The "Truth" of Genesis 1 isn't a bunch of scientific facts. To make it that is to completely miss the point.
    Post edited by RSR on
  • RSR said:

Thanks for the welcome. I just moved to BC a few years ago. I love it out here. The pace of life is so much slower than out East.

Ok ... JWPearl. I hear you. 1 day is literally is a thousand years. I know the bible reference, but you are missing something. It actually says that one day is LIKE a thousand years to God, and a thousand years LIKE a day. First of all, it's parallelism, which means the meaning is something you don't get from 'just reading it'. You have to decipher it a bit.

And that "like" makes both parts of the statement similes about the nature of God. It's a figure of speech. It isn't stating a fact about the nature of the earth or time. It's really just saying God will act when God acts, so stop worrying so much and start living your life to it's fullest potential.

So where does that leave us? maybe one day is just a day. But then you have a God who makes things way out of order. The sun is made on day 4, but there is evening and morning on days 1-3. And light is made on day 1. But the sun is needed for light, evening and morning. Uh oh. This should be a giant clue that what you see isn't what you get with Genesis 1. The "Truth" of Genesis 1 isn't a bunch of scientific facts. To make it that is to completely miss the point.

Do you talk like this to people?

RSR said:

RSR said:

You have a valid point, and I believe you are correct in which I have to say that the earth is as old as the history of Adam and Eve and their geological children, so I wouldn't know that, but I've been told many times it's around 6000 years

Sometimes. It's my academic 'voice' I guess. Too harsh?