Some facts for the Obama haters

Comments

• mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353

What did people think would happen to an economy when 3 trillion dollars is pumped into the banking system? You see a rise in investment activity. Shocking.
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/oct/29/fed-quietly-ends-stimulus-hard-work

I don't remember, can someone let me know if the same amount of money, adjusted for inflation of course, was spent by the Federal reserve in the early 80's?

For those who care, unemployment was calculated differently in the 80's too. Comparing unemployment rates should be done with the same numbers don't you think? Anyone got a link to a graph that does that? I have had trouble finding one, but I do know that if you take off all the people unemployed for more than 52 weeks from Reagan's numbers they can't help but improve.

Statistics --- allowing democrats and republicans to both be wrong about the same thing for, well, forever.

I feel dirty trying to defend a president I dislike with a passion, one that did so many horrible things, but to compare these economic "recoveries" is like comparing apples and oranges. The target federal funds rate was double digits in Reagan's first two years of office. Obama's was damn near zero. For those that don't know the Fed.Fund Rate is the rate that banks trade balances to meet reserve requirements (obviously it is a little more complicated than that). Said simply, it makes money more expensive to borrow depending on how high it is. The amount of inflation inherited, the interest rate problems inherited were much much different for Reagan. A housing bubble/banking crisis is not the same as inflation and interest rate problems. If we look at real GDP growth between the two it isn't close...

Real GDP Growth Rate
    and again I say, statistics, whoever wants to can usually make them say something completely different.

The system has been "fixed" by plugging holes with fictionally low interest rates and cash, but that was not by his design. He should not get a lot of praise for the success of the economy, no president should alone, that includes Reagan. When the next president takes office and the repercussions of all the free money begin to be felt, Obama should not be blamed for those either as it wasn't him that was continuing QE for 6 years.

President Obama has done some great things, but he has also done some shitty stuff and pretending that he hasn't done either good or bad is kind of silly (not saying anyone in this thread is doing that)
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

Excuse you for spreading that misinformation. The national debt on the first day of Obamas presidency was $10.626 trillion. Today, the national debt is just over $18 trillion. Like I said, he has almost doubled the national debt.

Okay then....
    When the Cheney/Rove regime started the national debt was 5.8 trillion.
    At the end it was 11.9 trillion.
    An increase of 6.1 trillion
    An increase of 105%

Using your figures the actual percentage increase during the Obama presidency is 59%.

Last I checked their is a large difference between 105% and 59%.
    105% is actually more than double.

But I'm sure you'll come back with potato and I'll say potato and in the long run it won't really matter. But maybe some people will read these posts and take a couple of minutes and do some research and get the facts.
    No, I'll come back with I don't give a fuck about George Ws contribution to the national debt. You brought up GW, not me. My point was and still is that Obama took the debt from 10.6 trillion to over 18 trillion. Which can be described as almost doubling.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    What did Obama personally do that lowered the unemployment rate? I just don't think the President has as much influence as some give them credit for.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    know1 said:

What did Obama personally do that lowered the unemployment rate? I just don't think the President has as much influence as some give them credit for.

So you blame him for unemployment being high but no credit for when it's low?

That might make sense....just asking

Same theory as why everybody bitches about Obama when gas is high but when it's low he had nothing to do with it.

If liberals followed the GOP talking point theory they would be on the news every day yapping about how Obama lowered gas prices.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Arguing over how Bush or Obama handled the national debt is like debating between which NFL team has a more competent offense, the Jaguars or the Raiders ...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Jason P said:

Arguing over how Bush or Obama handled the national debt is like debating between which NFL team has a more competent offense, the Jaguars or the Raiders ...

There's ever been a team with an offense less competent than the current Raiders?

=))
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    brianlux said:

Jason P said:

There's ever been a team with an offense less competent than the current Raiders?

=))
    Tampa Bay their first 2 years?

brianlux said:

Jason P said:

=))
    Lol. The first 2? That's quite generous.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762

know1 said:

So you blame him for unemployment being high but no credit for when it's low?

That might make sense....just asking

Same theory as why everybody bitches about Obama when gas is high but when it's low he had nothing to do with it.

If liberals followed the GOP talking point theory they would be on the news every day yapping about how Obama lowered gas prices.
    No - I'm not blaming him for anything. I'm saying that I don't think Presidents in general deserve as much praise or as much blame as they get. I don't think they do that much.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    Jason P said:

Actually it's not. Bush cut taxes and took us into multiple wars.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Jason P said:

Actually it's not. Bush cut taxes and took us into multiple wars.

And Obama raised taxes and took us into multiple wars.

either way, the debt ceiling keeps on having to be raised.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited November 2014
    Jason P said:

Your lucky you didn't reference the greatness that is my Tampa Bay Bucs.Them there woulda been fighting words Jason.

Posted this before I saw the shot across my bow from others.
    Post edited by rr165892 on

brianlux said:

Jason P said:

=))
    Last -12 I know your my southern fingerless brother ,but lay off my Bucs.Im in pain.Do you know what it's like to be a lifelong Suckaneers fan?
    Our cheerleaders are smoking hot though
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    rr165892 said:

Please no objectifying of the cheerleaders

:ar!
    rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

Jason P said:

=))
    Last -12 I know your my southern fingerless brother ,but lay off my Bucs.Im in pain.Do you know what it's like to be a lifelong Suckaneers fan?
    Uhhhhh I'm a life long Chicago Cubs fan. So yeah, I kinda do!
    Ok then you really do

rr165892 said:

Please no objectifying of the cheerleaders

:ar!
    I def am not objecting to them .Oh objectifying.my bad
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I see the cat's unwinding the ball of twine again here, haha!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Keeps things fresh.
    I don't like to include Division 2 teams when making my analogies. :D
    rr165892 said:

Jason P said:

Your lucky you didn't reference the greatness that is my Tampa Bay Bucs.Them there woulda been fighting words Jason.

Jason P said:

rr165892 said:

Jason P said:

You see there J,you had to go there.Keep your head on a swivel my friend.Paybacks are a bitch.Lol
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Dont forget the 6% unemployment rate! I believe Santa Claus will bring the US more jobs

For 50 straight months when i ask my family friends and neighbors are you better off this month compared to last month? they all say NO, must be me.

Justin James Michael Wolfers is an Australian economist and public policy scholar. He is professor of economics and public policy at the University of Michigan, and a Senior Fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics.

Justin James Michael Wolfers is an Australian economist and public policy scholar. He is professor of economics and public policy at the University of Michigan, and a Senior Fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics.

Not bad credentials.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited December 2014
    e

Excuse you for spreading that misinformation. The national debt on the first day of Obamas presidency was $10.626 trillion. Today, the national debt is just over $18 trillion. Like I said, he has almost doubled the national debt.

Okay then....
    When the Cheney/Rove regime started the national debt was 5.8 trillion.
    At the end it was 11.9 trillion.
    An increase of 6.1 trillion
    An increase of 105%

Using your figures the actual percentage increase during the Obama presidency is 59%.

Last I checked their is a large difference between 105% and 59%.
    105% is actually more than double.

But I'm sure you'll come back with potato and I'll say potato and in the long run it won't really matter. But maybe some people will read these posts and take a couple of minutes and do some research and get the facts.
    Both increases suck.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410

Just to be clear, where I didn't blam Obama outright for the economic collapse, he holds blame. He is responsible for almost doubling the national debt.

Posts like this one spread misinformation.
    A very little bit of research in under 1 minute finds the actual factual truth.

In 2009 shortly after Obama took over the national debt was just under 12 trillion.
    As of 3 months ago it was just under 18 trillion.
    If I do my basic elementary math correctly that is a 50% increase not 200%.

In checking recent history its easy to find that in 2000 the debt was around 5.5 trillion and by late 2008 the debt was 10.5 trillion.
    Once again doing basic elementary math that means during the Cheney/Rove regime the debt increased 190%.

Yes it is a much higher dollar amount and yes it is bad. But, the overall percent increase is much less than during the previous govt.
    it also doesnt help having the congress not pass actual budgets, reform the tax code , not only reduce deficit spending but use whatever budget surplus we know is possible to pay down the debt owed. Seems that course was working before a tax rebate program. Engaging in a war on two fronts against an ideology without funding it, adding a medicare program without funding it. I could go on.

For a group of people supposedly all about business, what in borrowing more than you "earn" makes sound financial sense?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Methinks Obama isn't going to be looked at so unfavorably in the future.

Pretty pretty strong jobs report.