Jimmy Fallon, The Tonight Show

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,552
Imagine this, ME the non-TV watcher posting the first (as far as I can tell, anyway) thread about the new Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. Anybody see it? I thought it was great. My favorite part was Fallon telling that he likes doing this show because he wants us to laugh and feel good and go to bed happier and live a little longer. A very sincere and cool sentiment.

Will Smith was terrific- the guy is all heart and funny as hell. Loved it.

U2 was good. Gosh- when did they get so old? Bono's little mug speech was funny.

It was a great opening show. Congratulations, Mr. Fallon!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    I caught it, a kinda 'safe' opening show eh? Will Smith and U2.

I thought Cobert dumping a bucket of pennies on Fallon was pretty funny.

I like Fallon, he's a talented dude, with generally good musical taste.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,601
    Does he still have the Roots?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    I love Jimmy Fallon. Definitely my favorite late night show, and has the best musical appearances by far. It's a great show to watch to see new bands who are awesome. I'm glad it's on earlier now.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,552
    MayDay10 said:

Does he still have the Roots?

Yes- great band. The whole crew was excellent. Late night shows just got better.
    :)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Have it DVR'd. Was it still the Fallon show under the tonight show name or did he completely change the format to fit the Tonight show?

that question sounds confusing, hopefully someone understands what I meant
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • It was exactly the same as The Late Show, but as they noted there are certain things they can't say or do before midnight. I felt WIll Smith was on for no reason at all. Not a big U2 fan, but they were good. I really don't see much change here, but a big deal to have a young polar opposite of Letterman in that spot. Colbert is probably still the best 11:30 slot host. And he was definitely the highlight last night.
  • I like the fact that it seems like it'll be basically the same as his Late Night show but with better guests. He won't be neutered like Conan was.

Two nit-picks: I don't like the set and I hate the new opening song. The one from Late Night was great. Wish they didn't feel the need to change it...but I understand why they did.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,283
    started a little late. BUT I liked the opening. Especially Colbert and the pennies then the selfie!! Alas I had to leave to go to work before Will came on.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Thought it was solid, if not a little awkward. Felt like some of the writing seems a little forced to really get the standard Tonight Show audience clued into Fallon, which isn't a bad thing. Maybe a little overdone given the way NBC handled Conan.

Fallon should settle in nicely and it'll be key to get the Higgins contributions tamed down a hair. The Roots are always gonna bring it...all the late night bands are great, but they really have a lot of personality, where none of the other shows' bands do.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    this was pretty funny. I thought Jimmy was better than Will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTpn30Pms8I
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,552
    Yeah the dance thing was cool. I also like what Will said about how most of us could make 90 and because he just turned 45 that puts him into his third quarter and he made an analogy of heading into the third quarter of a football game which is no time to sit back and coast. He said that's the time to get things done. I can dig it.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    i liked it. glad he is at the earlier time slot so i can actually see the show sometimes. u2's acoustic thing at the end, with the roots joining in was fucking awesome.

this guy has come a long way. i watched his first late night show and felt he wouldn't make it past a year or so. his interviewing was so uncomfortable and awkward.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,705
    edited February 2014

i liked it. glad he is at the earlier time slot so i can actually see the show sometimes. u2's acoustic thing at the end, with the roots joining in was fucking awesome.

this guy has come a long way. i watched his first late night show and felt he wouldn't make it past a year or so. his interviewing was so uncomfortable and awkward.

Amazingly, of all people, it was my MOTHER that said from day one that this guy was gonna be big. From his first season on SNL she was saying it. "He's like Adam Sandler but not as stupid" she'd say.....and she was right.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    "Welcome to 11:30, bitch!" Colbert had me in tears.

Last night's episode with the Barber Shop quartet doing R. Kelly's "Ignition" was incredible.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,043
    watched it on DVR and really liked it. I thought the hip-hop dancing segment with Will Smith was very amusing.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • groovemegrooveme Posts: 353
    I like Fallon, and I have been watching his show some for a while. I thought he did a good job. He looked a little nervous, but he loosened up pretty well. Now if he could just get through an interview without the giggling laugh.

I have always liked U2's music, although their newer stuff doesn't do much for me and Bono has gotten so pretentious. They looked great on the roof with the sunset, but sounded just ok to me. Other than that, I enjoyed the parade of stars, paricularly Colbert with the pennies and the selfie, and the dancing was pretty funny
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    Newch91 said:

"Welcome to 11:30, bitch!" Colbert had me in tears.

Last night's episode with the Barber Shop quartet doing R. Kelly's "Ignition" was incredible.

i had no idea what song that was so the whole skit was lost on me.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • groovemegrooveme Posts: 353
    In case you missed it - Brian Williams raps The Sugar Hill Gang's "Rapper's Delight". Brilliant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCeIgt7hMs&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLykzf464sU9-uj2DvWN3k3S6k_EPDw9pN
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I was just about to post that. Brilliant.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Fallon's second Tonight Show beat the COMBINED ratings of Letterman and Kimmel that night. Dave doesn't give a shit at this point but the Kimmel people must be nervous...and they should be.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/19/fallon-day-2-beats-combined-ratings-of-letterman-kimmel/

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,039

Fallon's second Tonight Show beat the COMBINED ratings of Letterman and Kimmel that night. Dave doesn't give a shit at this point but the Kimmel people must be nervous...and they should be.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/19/fallon-day-2-beats-combined-ratings-of-letterman-kimmel/

The real test will be next week when he doesn't have the Olympics. And the curiosity factor is gone. Conan had good numbers his first week without the large lead in.
    I miss igotid88
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • igotid88 said:

Fallon's second Tonight Show beat the COMBINED ratings of Letterman and Kimmel that night. Dave doesn't give a shit at this point but the Kimmel people must be nervous...and they should be.

The real test will be next week when he doesn't have the Olympics. And the curiosity factor is gone. Conan had good numbers his first week without the large lead in.
    True but I saw an interesting stat about audience retention that showed that the drop-off from Conan's first show (featuring a heck of a musical guest) to his second was dramatic and that with Fallon it wasn't. But even going beyond TV ratings, Fallon had three youtube videos this week (Dancing with Will Smith, Brian Wiliams rapping, and now this recent one with Timberlake) that all have well over a million views because they are all "must-see" viral videos. The buzz around the show is tremendous. It's fitting that it's the Tonight Show STARRING Jimmy Falllon rather than "with" like it was with Jay or is with Dave. Fallon's really the star of a variety show. He acts, sings, dances, and has a band that's awesome. Certainly not everything's gonna be good. Sometimes he can be a ass-kissing dork. But overall, I loved him since he first took over Late Night and made a point in one of the early episodes of getting a picture with Mayor Bloomberg in front of a picture of Castle Greyskull from He-Man. I felt then that this could be my type of guy. Add The Roots and it's a perfect late-night show.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,039

igotid88 said:

True but I saw an interesting stat about audience retention that showed that the drop-off from Conan's first show (featuring a heck of a musical guest) to his second was dramatic and that with Fallon it wasn't. But even going beyond TV ratings, Fallon had three youtube videos this week (Dancing with Will Smith, Brian Wiliams rapping, and now this recent one with Timberlake) that all have well over a million views because they are all "must-see" viral videos. The buzz around the show is tremendous. It's fitting that it's the Tonight Show STARRING Jimmy Falllon rather than "with" like it was with Jay or is with Dave. Fallon's really the star of a variety show. He acts, sings, dances, and has a band that's awesome. Certainly not everything's gonna be good. Sometimes he can be a ass-kissing dork. But overall, I loved him since he first took over Late Night and made a point in one of the early episodes of getting a picture with Mayor Bloomberg in front of a picture of Castle Greyskull from He-Man. I felt then that this could be my type of guy. Add The Roots and it's a perfect late-night show.
    I can't remember who the guests were for Conan that first week other than PJ and Will Ferrell. And Jimmy's youtube videos have been viral at late night also. Ithink even more now with the Tonight Show buzz. But I think he'll be given more of a chance to succeed than Conan has. And won't have Jay stealing high profile guests.
    I miss igotid88
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    i just hope they keep doing 'let us play with your look' and 'thank you notes'
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    edited February 2014
    i want another egg roulette

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puipmbc_3CY
    Post edited by pjradio on
    aqo2t.jpg
  • retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    Jimmy and JT were hilarious friday night, I was cracking up the whole hour.
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited February 2014
    Just watched the Timberlake episode, and yeah, if i wasn't laughing i had a huge smile on my face, and I actually was doing a fist pump at certain points, lol!! I don't listen to his music, but I love JT anyway, and Fallon and JT together are fucking entertainment perfection, seriously!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    ^^well said
    aqo2t.jpg
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    The show returns this week. We watch it every night, so last week wasn't the same without it. I don't know who the guests are, but I can't wait!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self