Jimmy Fallon, The Tonight Show

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    Fallon’s Late Night Show was incredible.  The Tonight Show is so bland tho.  I think its the franchise itself and the confines of it.  
    I like it, although will only watch it if I'm genuinely interested in the guests. I like both Fallon and Colbert for very different reasons. It just depends on whether I want total fluff, or some more substance. Fluff isn't always bad, lol. Also, everything pertaining to music is much better on Fallon. I really don't like Colbert's house band, and I think John Batiste is terrible - he's so awkward. Also, I think Fallon on The Tonight Show is waaaaaaay better than Leno on The Tonight Show. I hated that guy.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    I didn't give a shit about that episode. I thought the reaction to it was so overblown. Fallon just isn't political and is the happy-go-lucky guy, and that's how he acted. Big fucking deal.
    if you have a political figure on your show, running for president no less, i don't expect bullshit pandering from you. that's lame and weak. he got the backlash he deserved. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited June 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I didn't give a shit about that episode. I thought the reaction to it was so overblown. Fallon just isn't political and is the happy-go-lucky guy, and that's how he acted. Big fucking deal.
    if you have a political figure on your show, running for president no less, i don't expect bullshit pandering from you. that's lame and weak. he got the backlash he deserved. 
    I disagree obviously. It's not his fault that some people laid unrealistic and unjustified expectations on him.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited June 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I disagree obviously. It's not his fault that some people laid unrealistic and unjustified expectations on him.
    it's not unrealistic to not make one of the biggest POS to ever run for President as an affable and likable guy. Look, I get that Fallon's role is usually, as we both know, as the clown. However, that's largely why I didn't watch his, or Leno's show. Softball questions to celebrities isn't my cup of tea. I like challenging interviews, like Letterman gave when he felt necessary. Otherwise it's nothing but a commercial for whatever movie or tv show they are selling. doesn't interest me. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Agree, Fallon dropped the ball big time.  
    It's not unfair to expect a real interview of a presidential candidate.
    If Fallon wanted to be the king of empty fluff, he shouldn't have had Trump on his show at all.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Why have politicians on your show if you don't/won't get political?
    That's just stupid.

Fallon is a talented man who could have had a much better career if he wasn't so pathologically obsessed with being loved for mediocrity.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    Why have politicians on your show if you don't/won't get political?
    That's just stupid.

Fallon is a talented man who could have had a much better career if he wasn't so pathologically obsessed with being loved for mediocrity.
    agree. he's a dancing monkey. he's hilarious, but he panders to the crowd. I loved letterman since he didn't give two fucks. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited June 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    it's not unrealistic to not make one of the biggest POS to ever run for President as an affable and likable guy. Look, I get that Fallon's role is usually, as we both know, as the clown. However, that's largely why I didn't watch his, or Leno's show. Softball questions to celebrities isn't my cup of tea. I like challenging interviews, like Letterman gave when he felt necessary. Otherwise it's nothing but a commercial for whatever movie or tv show they are selling. doesn't interest me. 
    I just mean that the expectations were unrealistic given Fallon's personality and TV persona. I don't think it's fair to dump on someone for not behaving in a way that he has never and would never behave.
    I like challenging interviews as well (and really love Colbert), but I also like lighter topics as well, if it also manages to be really amusing, and that is often the case with Fallon, but that very strongly depends on who the guests are. That's why I only watch when I know the guest is super good in his or her own right (and/or when he has a really good musical guest of course). Also, I love some of the comedy sketches he does with some of them. He and Brian Cranston do a particularly hilarious ongoing one. There are a few guests that do that with him. Finally, once in a while Fallon will have some kind of fanboy music experience with his rock heros, and he gets so excited that he tells the whole story on his in detail, and I love those stories.
    I do NOT watch Fallon for political interviews, that is for sure. As I said, if he interviewed Trump now and acted like that I'd be appalled. But he did that back when he thought Trump was going to lose, and very likely still thought of him more as a reality TV star. IMO, that pretty much changes everything, taking Fallon's personality and style into account.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,705
    Fallon’s Late Night Show was incredible.  The Tonight Show is so bland tho.  I think its the franchise itself and the confines of it.  
    Conan suffered the same fate. His Late Night show was awesome but his Tonight Show sucked big time. He could blame Jay Leno or whatever else he wants for it. But I am a huge Conan fan who tried out his Tonight Show and quickly chose Letterman over him...like many people apparently did. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,039
    Conan suffered the same fate. His Late Night show was awesome but his Tonight Show sucked big time. He could blame Jay Leno or whatever else he wants for it. But I am a huge Conan fan who tried out his Tonight Show and quickly chose Letterman over him...like many people apparently did. 
    it was good. he had to tone it down from the 12:35 show. he had good ratings with the young audience as his TBS show has had. Don't know about now. But it was the older audience that didn't stay. Didn't help that Jay went on at 10. Show definitely got better toward the end when he didn't give a shit.
    I miss igotid88
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    Im biased a tad because Jay was pretty cool to my wife and i in 2011.  We forgave him for the Conan stuff after that. We’re a cheap sell :lol:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    edited June 2018
    igotid88 said:
    it was good. he had to tone it down from the 12:35 show. he had good ratings with the young audience as his TBS show has had. Don't know about now. But it was the older audience that didn't stay. Didn't help that Jay went on at 10. Show definitely got better toward the end when he didn't give a shit.

I actually liked Conan's NBC Tonight Show better than his current TBS show but both pale in comparison to his old Late Nite show.

I wonder if he has a whole new set of writers at TBS than he had before? The jokes are so lame now.

chinese-happy.jpg
    edited June 2018
    igotid88 said:

I actually liked Conan's NBC Tonight Show better than his current TBS show but both pale in comparison to his old Late Nite show.

I wonder if he has a whole new set of writers at TBS than he had before? The jokes are so lame now.

not sure how long these writers have been on the show. The guy who plays the cameraman is the head writer. It's probably never going to be at the level of when Louis CK and Robert Smigel days.I know Brian Stack left for Colbert. Sucks that the show is going to 30 minutes next year
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

not sure how long these writers have been on the show. The guy who plays the cameraman is the head writer. It's probably never going to be at the level of when Louis CK and Robert Smigel days.I know Brian Stack left for Colbert. Sucks that the show is going to 30 minutes next year

I heard they were making changes but didn't know that. Is it still going to be on four nights a week or just once a week like that Full Frontal show?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I kind of like Conan as a person (in the way you do when you don't know them, lol), but I always had a problem with how insanely self-deprecating he is. It's just too much, to the point of being awkward.
    PJ_Soul said:
    I kind of like Conan as a person (in the way you do when you don't know them, lol), but I always had a problem with how insanely self-deprecating he is. It's just too much, to the point of being awkward.

Awkward and self deprecating is literally his shtick. haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited June 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, it is. I'm not a fan because I don't actually think he's very good at it. I think it's the constant "...Uhhhhh..." that he adds after every single self-deprecating joke. It is awkward and annoying for me. It's a really terrible go-to segue for him.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, it is. I'm not a fan because I don't actually think he's very good at it. I think it's the constant "...Uhhhhh..." that he adds after every single self-deprecating joke. It is awkward and annoying for me. It's a really terrible go-to segue for him.
    Well, it worked WAY better for him when he was a 20 or early 30 something nobody back in the early 90's. He's gotta be in his 50's now so it doesn't have the same cache. He used to have cache, baby. He had cache out the ying yang.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well, it worked WAY better for him when he was a 20 or early 30 something nobody back in the early 90's. He's gotta be in his 50's now so it doesn't have the same cache. He used to have cache, baby. He had cache out the ying yang.
    True - I definitely liked him more when he first came on the scene.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    I find Conan's show as funny as slamming my junk in a car door.  I am sure he is a skilled and funny guy, but I can't.
    Conan is still at the top of his game
    I miss igotid88
    I find Conan's interview banter to be funny, but his opening monologue reminds me of something where every joke should be followed by a "nyuk nyuk nyuk"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I actually didn't even realize he still had a show until this week TBH. :lol: I think I assumed it surely must have been cancelled by now.
    edited June 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I actually didn't even realize he still had a show until this week TBH. :lol: I think I assumed it surely must have been cancelled by now.
    I have a Conan thread 
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/237437/conan/p1
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,705
    That's too bad. I'm not the biggest Fallon fan, but at least he tries to be funny. Colbert just recaps the day in Trump. But people must be into that. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    I don't often watch these shows, but when I do...it is Jimmy.  He has the best band and tries the funniest shit.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,251
    When Fallon does games or sketches with guests, he’s usually really funny. He has pretty good musical guests, and The Roots are great.

But the guy can’t interview for shit. It’s just a constant stream of “I love this guy / you’re the best” fawning and talking over whatever they are trying to say. It’s barely watchable at times.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • redrawredraw Posts: 1,267
    goldrush said:
    When Fallon does games or sketches with guests, he’s usually really funny. He has pretty good musical guests, and The Roots are great.

But the guy can’t interview for shit. It’s just a constant stream of “I love this guy / you’re the best” fawning and talking over whatever they are trying to say. It’s barely watchable at times.
    Gotta agree with this 
    "That's how you do it" wears a bit thin after a while... 
    The Roots are awesome tho and the main reason I watch!!!
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
    ^^
    this
    chinese-happy.jpg