Options

3 full listens, still not impressed.

Comments

• Options
    It really bothers me when people get all whiny when others say they don't like the album. Isn't one the purposes of this board to discuss the music produced by our favorite band? We're all entitled to our opinions, and I think it's enjoyable to intelligently debate the music Pearl Jam is producing. Personally, I don't find much enjoyment in reading repeated posts that say, "OMG BEST RECORD EVERRRRR" or "THIS ALBUM SUXXXXX." I enjoy reading thoughtful criticism and praise. Why do you like something? Tell us. Why don't you like something? Tell us. The folks at TSIS tend to use their brains -- for the most part -- when discussing the album.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    eddiec wrote:

Yes, it's slow but not cheesy.

But I doubt the average Adult Contemporary listener would ever make it all the way through Lightning Bolt to get to Future Days. :lol:

Nah, it's cheesy and has some pretty cliche recycled lyrics.
  • Options
    Trading StoriesTrading Stories Boston Posts: 84
    Personally this album reminds me of Yield. This is a very good thing. Can't please everyone
    Hartford 9/13/98, Montreal 6/29/03, Mansfield 7/2/03 7/3/03 7/11/03, Boston 9/28/04, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08 6/30/08, Chicago 8/24/09, Boston 5/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11 9/4/11, Worcester 10/15 10/16, Hartford 10/25 Fenway 1&2 EV - Boston 8/1 8/2, Albany 8/6
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    DewieCox wrote:
    I didn't know Matchbox 20 was still putting out good music. Good on them for impressing you and moving up your list of favorite bands, op.

When did they ever put out good music? :lol: I kid...
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,159
    edited October 2013
    Agree with the OP. I'm impressed only by the fact that one of my favorite bands spent four years to produce such a grand piece of mediocrity. Middling songwriting. Retreaded guitar work. Over-produced, predictable and uncharacteristically safe by design. I'm not sure I'll even open up the vinyl when it arrives. Just not excited. After about 20 listens, I'm not sure I'll revisit it anytime again soon. Pearl Jam is being compared to Nickelback in many reviews. Not good. 2 1/2 out of five
    Post edited by bicyclejoe on
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,462
    A couple of thoughts:

I think the worst thing you can do is judge an album after only a few listens. The best songs/albums have always took some time to sink in compared to pop songs that burn hot quick and then fizzle out.

I know everyone is reviewing the album as a whole but why do people latch on to a couple of the arguably worst songs?
    Most albums have good better and best songs. IMO PJ has put filler songs into their albums ever since Vs.
    Who really seeks out the song Rats?
  • Options
    Retreaded guitar work

Damn that's harsh... :?

But I'll take that vinyl off your hands... :lol:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    Agree with the OP. I'm impressed only by the fact that one of my favorite bands spent four years to produce such a grand piece of mediocrity. Middling songwriting. Retreaded guitar work. Over-produced, predictable and uncharacteristically safe by design. I'm not sure I'll even open up the vinyl when it arrives. Just not excited. After about 20 listens, I'm not sure I'll revisit it anytime again soon. Pearl Jam is being compared to Nickelback in many reviews. Not good. 2 1/2 out of five

It's been 4 years since Backspacer, but they didn't spend 4 years making it.

Every album has retreaded guitar work.

If this ones overproduced, I can only assume you think almost every one of their albums is over-produced.

There's as many really unpredictable moments as just about any PJ album I've heard.

I've really only heard Nickelback comparisons from the people that don't dig Sirens.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Im somewhat with you on this. Ive listened and i have to skip through like at least two maybe three songs each time. Sirens is a good song but it just makes me think too much about my divorce and i cry everytime i hear it. Future days is a love song and i cant listen cuz it reminds me im not in love right now and it doesnt look like thats gonna happen anytime soon. So ya this album is just meh for me. Still a hardcore fan just looking forward to older not newer songs this tour. I long for the days PJ had songs about being pissed off! That would be more fitting for me right now! To each his own i guess.

Thats a great thing that the songs can draw out your emotions. I like that feeling when music does that to me. I see it more like the pain of applying alcohol to a wound to cleanse it as opposed to salt.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    I long for the days PJ had songs about being pissed off! That would be more fitting for me right now! To each his own i guess.

Listen to the first three songs on repeat.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,159
    DewieCox wrote:

I've really only heard Nickelback comparisons from the people that don't dig Sirens.

Check out Rolling Stone's 3 1/2 out of 5 review.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    Kanye East wrote:
    Rossum20 wrote:
    Try throwing yourself down the stairs, then give it another whirl.

This was hilarious
    I was going to go with "kill yourself" but this is much more pc :lol: well done
  • Options
    BubbaBubba Posts: 630
    Going to have to agree with the OP on this one, well the "not that impressed" part, not the Matchbox 20 part. In my opinion seems to be a lot of EV b-sides that didn't make the Into the Wild soundtrack or the Uke album. Also, why if they worked on this for 4 years did they have to bring back Sleeping By Myself? There was nothing better?? There are maybe two or three songs that I will look forward to hearing live and listen to on the album but other than that, it's just eh for me.
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    Bubba wrote:
    Going to have to agree with the OP on this one, well the "not that impressed" part, not the Matchbox 20 part. In my opinion seems to be a lot of EV b-sides that didn't make the Into the Wild soundtrack or the Uke album. Also, why if they worked on this for 4 years did they have to bring back Sleeping By Myself? There was nothing better?? There are maybe two or three songs that I will look forward to hearing live and listen to on the album but other than that, it's just eh for me.

To reiterate, they didn't spend 4 years working on this album. They released Backspacer 4 years ago, toured on and off for 2 years and then spent the following 2 years working on and off (the on and off part is really important) on Lightning Bolt. It's not like they spent 1,460 days toiling over this record only to come up with Sleeping By Myself.
  • Options
    BubbaBubba Posts: 630
    EarlWelsh wrote:
    Bubba wrote:

To reiterate, they didn't spend 4 years working on this album. They released Backspacer 4 years ago, toured on and off for 2 years and then spent the following 2 years working on and off (the on and off part is really important) on Lightning Bolt. It's not like they spent 1,460 days toiling over this record only to come up with Sleeping By Myself.

No but we've heard how they started this album a few years ago, took a break to tour, do solo projects then came back and got back together to finish the album. Not saying they sat in a studio for 4yrs working on this but the impression given was that they took their time on this and even in the Gleason interview it was said "why put something out if you don't have anything to put out" or something like that. Seems SBM was put out years ago, why re-do it.
  • Options
    dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    to each their own, I love it..

matchbox 20 comparison is way off.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    dirtyT wrote:
    to each their own, I love it..

matchbox 20 comparison is way off.

Way, way off. No one with working ears should hear that comparison. I think it was a cave troll comment.
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,677
    eddiec wrote:
    Sounds like an adult contemporary record.

My favorite band has become Matchbox 20-

Celine Dion and Michael Buble are Adult Contemporary. How does this remotely sound to anything those two have done? :roll:

i fucking love celine dion. No lie.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    JM16768JM16768 Posts: 79
    I remember vividly when No Code came out and ALOT of people didn't "get it" and thought they were trying to be U2 with Achtung Baby. Now its considered the HOLY GRAIL with the so called "real fans"...that still makes me chuckle. So I'm really curious to see where the album ranks in about 2-3 years.
    Me personally, I'm enjoying it very much! Sorry for those who don't. Lastly, I know some people like the pissed off stuff, and MYM covers that, but in all reality they are millionaires now, especially Ed, he is listed at being worth $80 million, imagine! So for me he'd be a whiny rich asshole if he was just all pissed off still on every song/record. Stopped listening to Metallica a long time ago for that very reason.

I can't wait for the shows to rock my socks off!! Old, new and all in between...YEAH!!! \m/!!
  • Options
    rawpixelsrawpixels Posts: 912
    This album kicks fucking ass!!!

My Father's Son, Getaway, MYM, Infallible, Pendulum, Yellow Moon, Sirens ........holy crap...sick!!!

I'm not crazy about Let the Records Play, but the rest is awesome!
    One man stands alone awaiting
    for her to come home
    eyes upon the horizon
    in the dark before the
    darkness leaves the dawn
  • Options
    seems alot of ppl arent crazy about let the records play but its one of the highlights for me. just a great beat throughout. and a killer mike solo
  • Options
    Here's to hoping that all of the fans that are so disgusted with Backspacer and LB soon drop out of the Ten Club, allowing me the chance to gain more seniority and continue to get better and better seats. I know I wouldn't pay membership dues every year to Matchbox 20 or Nickelback so by all means, please don't renew....I'm begging you.

I can just picture all of these people, most still dressed like Cliff Poncier from Singles, again disappointed by not hearing anything that sounds like Even Flow or Lukin from a band made up of middle aged fathers. Lol.
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773
    I had a listening party with my partner, her mom, and my 8 month old last night. We all fell in love with pretty much every moment of the album (although my partner could do without the punk elements in MYM). It's got really charged up energy which I have no doubt will translate well live.

"Getaway" reminds me of something off B/S but with more of an old-school PJ sound

"Mind Your Manners" has already grown on me a lot. While it and "Future Days" are the songs I could most do without, I feel that they are much stronger than my least favorite tunes on other records

"My Father's Son" I've only heard a few times and am still figuring out.

"Sirens" is just amazing. Some of PJ's best work here.

"Lightning Bolt" like a better version of Unthought Known. Keeps growing on me more.

"Infallible" shows they didn't completely lose that new wave vibe they had in B/S, but here it's much more crunch and evocative of classic PJ. I like the Tremor Christ comparison.

"Pendulum" - Sooooo nice and moody. This is the one I can't stop listening to right now.

"Swallowed Whole" is the other one that I have on repeat rotation at the moment.

"Let The Records Play" at first I thought was pretty cheesy and derivative. Then I started to get into the riff at the beginnning. Then I started to really get into the song itself, which I now put on the same shelf as their old bluesy numbers Red Mosquito and 1/2 Full.

"Sleeping By Myself" I actually like quite a bit. Sure, it's fluffy and from the ukelele album, and it DOES sound like a christmas jingle in my opinion, but it's still quite nice on the ears.

"Yellow Moon" is atmospheric and crunchy like so much of this album. The grunge is definitely back in Pearl Jam.

"Future Days"- Eh, this is how PJ albums end.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    "Sleeping By Myself" I actually like quite a bit. Sure, it's fluffy and from the ukelele album, and it DOES sound like a christmas jingle in my opinion, but it's still quite nice on the ears.

YES. Totally agree with you on everything..especially the Christmas jingle.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    It totally doesn't sound like Adult Contemporary, except maybe Sirens. But not the rest of the album. Not even close.

I love this album more each time I listen to it, and I liked it a lot the first time, so I am starting to almost be overwhelmed by how much I am enjoying it at this point after who knows how many listens. :D I am so stoked for the show in December!!! I will be REALLY happy to hear some of the new shit live!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    Well after 10-15 listens of this beast I'm still overly impressed, probably more impressed the more I listen. What struck me today aswell was that all the songs are single worthy (maybe not pendulum) - I can't hear any album-filler tracks in there and I've not said that about a pearl jam album before. Very solid all the way through and can see me listening to this for quite a while.

Seems like many people on here hate Sleeping By Myself, I absolutely love it :oops:
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    not really getting the Yellow Moon love. it seems when I hear it, I just want it to quickly convert into 1/2 Full
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    You're stuck with it, regardless.

I think it's as good as any Who, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, or Rolling Stones record.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    AlfonzAlfonz Posts: 125
    I'm probably up to 10 listens through now. I keep trying to give it a chance to see if it will grow on me. But it doesn't. I find it bland and quite mediocre as a whole album. If anything, I like it less with each listen.

I'm glad people love it. Sadly, I'm not one of them. I think there is a fairly solid half an album in there, but the rest is pure filler, and it includes what (to my ears) are the 2 worst PJ songs I have ever heard (Sirens and Future Days).

Will be the first PJ album I don't buy. I will still give them some LB money by purchasing some live bootlegs with performances of Pendulum, Infallible, My Father's Son and Getaway.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Rossum20 wrote:
    Try throwing yourself down the stairs, then give it another whirl.

i know i shouldn't laugh at this, but fuck it. :lol::lol::lol: