Options

3 full listens, still not impressed.

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,307
    Haven't even listened to the whole album yet and i'm very very happy and can't wait to see these songs live these shows are gonna be great ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    mca47 wrote:
    Best album since Binaural.

a little premature for me to place it above riot act, but when that vinyl is in my hand and i am spinning away my opinion might say best since binaural.
  • Options
    estarr31estarr31 Posts: 569
    As PJ has said themselves, most recently during the interview circuit in support of Lightning Bolt, the band very much writes songs to be played live. I'm very much interested in hearing how this album sounds in that atmosphere. This album has grown on me, though, with each listen. I did not like Sirens at first. I thought it started off, musically and in Eddie's sound, as very cheesy. But the more listens I have you see the beauty of the lyrics and the production of the song. Lightning Bolt sounded "OK" live at Wrigley, but no one knew the lyrics so it was hard to really get on board with it. But the studio version sounds great. And just as others have stated, it's right up there with Unthought Known in terms of style and sound. And that's a song that I did not enjoy until finally seeing it live.

Overall...this album is more complete than their last two records. And there seems to be some standout tracks in the middle of album with the wonderful trio of LB, Infallible, and Pendulum.

Middle-aged rock or adult-contemporary? Way off. This is a band that doesn't need to write any more music if they didn't want to but they put together a great album that plays off of each of the band member's strengths. If you want angst rock...then go listen to Ten. These guys are in their late 40's and are millionaires. You're not going to get angst rock, nor should you because it would be a facade. Embrace the new stuff. It could be a lot worse. They could go the way of Weezer and just pump out generic rock.

I can't wait to see them Tuesday night and I can't wait to see their album be listed at #1 on iTunes at the end of next week.
    Mansfield 6/30/08 -  Wrigley Field 7/14/13 -  Worcester I 10/15/13 -  Global Citizen 9/26/15 -  MSG II 5/2/16 -  Fenway I 8/5/16 -  Fenway II 8/7/16 -  Fenway II 9/4/18 - LA I 5/6/22 - LA II 5/7/22 - MSG 9/11/22 - Nashville 9/16/22 - St. Paul I and II 8/31/23-9/2/23
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    If PJ is failing to impress, there's a new Gary Numan record that comes out next week...and Scotty McCreery, or TLC.

Best of luck to you.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I really think it is ultra strong up until the last 3 songs where it goes completely off a cliff for me.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,562
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I really think it is ultra strong up until the last 3 songs where it goes completely off a cliff for me.
    For me it's not about the songs (I like them), but about the flow of the album when it gets to that point. So I switched around Sleeping By Myself and Yellow Moon and listened to it that way, and it was much better.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Trading StoriesTrading Stories Boston Posts: 84
    JM16768 wrote:
    I remember vividly when No Code came out and ALOT of people didn't "get it" and thought they were trying to be U2 with Achtung Baby. Now its considered the HOLY GRAIL with the so called "real fans"...that still makes me chuckle. So I'm really curious to see where the album ranks in about 2-3 years.
    Me personally, I'm enjoying it very much! Sorry for those who don't. Lastly, I know some people like the pissed off stuff, and MYM covers that, but in all reality they are millionaires now, especially Ed, he is listed at being worth $80 million, imagine! So for me he'd be a whiny rich asshole if he was just all pissed off still on every song/record. Stopped listening to Metallica a long time ago for that very reason.

I can't wait for the shows to rock my socks off!! Old, new and all in between...YEAH!!! \m/!!

Spot on!
    Hartford 9/13/98, Montreal 6/29/03, Mansfield 7/2/03 7/3/03 7/11/03, Boston 9/28/04, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08 6/30/08, Chicago 8/24/09, Boston 5/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11 9/4/11, Worcester 10/15 10/16, Hartford 10/25 Fenway 1&2 EV - Boston 8/1 8/2, Albany 8/6
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    For me it's not about the songs (I like them), but about the flow of the album when it gets to that point. So I switched around Sleeping By Myself and Yellow Moon and listened to it that way, and it was much better.

check that.

I get very bored with Swallowed Whole, Yella Moon, and Future Days.

I actually like SBMS
  • Options
    Everyone's a critic looking back up the river...
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Everyone's a critic looking back up the river...
    :lol: :thumbup:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    The P.T.The P.T. Posts: 141
    Just my 2 cents here... but I'm liking the 'newer' sounding stuff. My Father's Son, Getaway, Infallible, Pendulum, Yellow Moon, Sirens, are all songs I will listen to and enjoy in the future. What really turns me off are the pop/punk meaningless songs that fill up Backspacer and have bled over into this album a bit, and the now seemingly required Ed solo sounding song. I'm hoping the next album heads more in the direction of the songs listed above.

Again, just my opinion.
  • Options
    The P.T. wrote:
    Just my 2 cents here... but I'm liking the 'newer' sounding stuff. My Father's Son, Getaway, Infallible, Pendulum, Yellow Moon, Sirens, are all songs I will listen to and enjoy in the future. What really turns me off are the pop/punk meaningless songs that fill up Backspacer and have bled over into this album a bit, and the now seemingly required Ed solo sounding song. I'm hoping the next album heads more in the direction of the songs listed above.

Again, just my opinion.
    Which songs do you consider meaningless? Do you know what the lyrics are? Because if you do and still think they're meaningless, I don't understand at all. Every song on this album is soaked in meaning.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    The P.T. wrote:

Again, just my opinion.
    Which songs do you consider meaningless? Do you know what the lyrics are? Because if you do and still think they're meaningless, I don't understand at all. Every song on this album is soaked in meaning.

Sorry, I wasn't speaking of the lyrics at all. I was simply referring to the music. I get nothing out of 2:30-3 min punk songs with a pop twinge to them, no matter what the lyrics say. I just seem to like a little substance to the music (which is why I'm enjoying the other stuff so much).
  • Options
    What people fail to understand is that these songs come from within these 5 band members they have way more deep meaning to them personally than anybody here can ever feel for them yeah we might really like them or even love them or hate them , but like Mike stated in an interview Sirens is hi's most acomplished song he has written up to this point ....
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,486
    I hate this album.
    "Who You Are" sounds like a bunch of hippies. I cant believe this is their first single.
    Same goes for "In My Tree".
    They sound too bluesey with this Red Mosquito and Smile.
    Fake punk songs, like Lukin.
    Good lord, they let Stone sing.
    And then the album falls off a cliff..."I'm Open" followed by "Around the Bend" Wtf....Keyboards????
    WHY THE FUCK should the last NOTE of the album be a Brendan O'Brien piano???
    Oh and insert your "eddie vedder solo song" on here....WTF "Off He Goes"...is this a Eddie and Brendan O'Brien duet? WTF BoB? More pianos????

Sorry, other than Hail Hail (which is too pop for my taste anyway) the rest of this is bush league adult contemporary.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,486
    Also check out these horrible reviews the new album is getting....

NME gave No Code a seven out of ten. In the review, it is stated that "Vedder is still preoccupied with his own mortality, but now he appears more quasi-mystical than miserable....for all its relative placidity, No Code is still a difficult beast."[36]

Referring to the songs on the album, Jon Pareles of The New York Times said "about half are worth the effort." He observed that "too often, [Vedder] falls into American culture's Disney syndrome, idealizing childhood innocence above all."[16] David Browne of Entertainment Weekly gave the album a C, saying that while No Code "cracks open their sound," it "becomes a collection of fragments that don't add up to much of anything, except a portrait of a musically disjointed band." On the change in mood compared with the band’s previous releases, he said that "the album leaves you with the vaguely unsettling feeling that Pearl Jam without pain are like a pretzel without salt, or Seattle without rain."[13] Ryan Schreiber of Pitchfork Media called it "a nice listen," but stated that "there's a ton of filler here. In fact, it's almost all filler."[37] Time reviewer Christopher John Farley said that the album "makes it sound as if they're having a midlife crisis." Farley added that "too few of the songs on the Pearl Jam CD explore the musical possibilities they suggest in any kind of definitive or provocative manner."[41
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    GetRight13GetRight13 NY Posts: 586
    edited October 2013
    DSTURNERJR wrote:
    Here's to hoping that all of the fans that are so disgusted with Backspacer and LB soon drop out of the Ten Club, allowing me the chance to gain more seniority and continue to get better and better seats. I know I wouldn't pay membership dues every year to Matchbox 20 or Nickelback so by all means, please don't renew....I'm begging you. I can just picture all of these people, most still dressed like Cliff Poncier from Singles, again disappointed by not hearing anything that sounds like Even Flow or Lukin from a band made up of middle aged fathers. Lol.

Hahah Agreed!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. With that said if you dont like the album state it and move on. Dont keep posting and posting with your negitive vibe. By no means do these songs "suck" its just that you dont like them. Anyone who refers to a rollingstone review or compares them to nickelback shouldnt be here in the first place. These guys have done it all and for them to continue to make music is a great thing when they could have packed it up after Yield. Its the same thing with the morons who still want Dave A to come back. Stop living in the past and move on. I get alot of people like the old PJ stuff as do I but I also love the new stuff....and Im sorry to say but if thats the case you should have moved on after Vitalogy. IF you watched PJ20 they state that they dont want to be a band that is classified to one type of music. Most new music today is made by machines with teens signing about drama, sex, getting fucked up and money. People should be happy there is still music out there with heart and soul.
    Post edited by GetRight13 on
    2023 Austin 1 & 2
    Ottawa 09/03
    MSG 1 & 2
    2013 Brooklyn (10/18, 10/19) Philadelphia (10/21, 10/22)
    2012 Atlanta 09/22
    2009 Albany 06/08 (Eddie Solo)
    2008 Bonnaroo 6/14
    2006 Albany 05/12
    2005 Philadelphia 10/03
    2000 Saratoga Springs 08/27
  • Options
    The P.T. wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    The P.T. wrote:

Again, just my opinion.

Sorry, I wasn't speaking of the lyrics at all. I was simply referring to the music. I get nothing out of 2:30-3 min punk songs with a pop twinge to them, no matter what the lyrics say. I just seem to like a little substance to the music (which is why I'm enjoying the other stuff so much).
    Oh, okay.... I personally can't separate the lyrics from the music, but that's not for everyone, I understand that. But I actually also don't think that the music sounds meaningless. A meaningless sounding punk/pop song is Supersonic. I feel like Getaway, MYM, and LTRP are actually reasonably complicated rock arrangements, not punk or pop.
  • Options
    I listened to vs today in the car...there's absolutely NO way to maintain the level of whatever the eff was going on in their lives.

I'm a totally different person than I was the day that record came out. I'm sure the boys are too.

It's evolution, baby.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    The P.T. wrote:

Again, just my opinion.

I mean, you listed like half the album there. So that's a good start. The only 2:30-3 "punk" song on Lightning Bolt is Mind Your Manners. And I think that veers heavily into metal territory.

So I'm not sure what you mean. You don't like fast songs?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    I'm impressed a lot by this record. I don't think it's a perfect record at the moment but every song offers, in the very least, something to like about it. I also think its more interesting and adventurous than both Avocado and Backspacer, which at this point in the bands' career, is far beyond what we should expect of them. It's fucking great that they're trying new things still at this point.
  • Options
    JK109224JK109224 Posts: 563
    I will add Pendulum, Infallible and Yellow Moon to my PJ playlist and leave the rest I think.
    Come to send, not condescend...
  • Options
    The P.T. wrote:

Again, just my opinion.

This album is 6 days away from being officially released and you are allready talking next album :lol::lol: as if the next one is allready in the can waiting to be mixed and released :lol::lol:
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    With Vitalogy, No Code and Binaural my first impression was: wtf!? It took me some spins and really sitting down and let the music "get in". Those albums are my favourite now. So, in my opinion, slow burners are the best albums. See how LB works out.
  • Options
    The P.T. wrote:

Again, just my opinion.

I mean, you listed like half the album there. So that's a good start. The only 2:30-3 "punk" song on Lightning Bolt is Mind Your Manners. And I think that veers heavily into metal territory.

So I'm not sure what you mean. You don't like fast songs?

I think you may be assuming I don't like the album. :). I do! Just listing pros and cons as I see it.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    The P.T. wrote:
    I think you may be assuming I don't like the album. :). I do! Just listing pros and cons as I see it.

Alright, fine. You may live. ;)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Rossum20 wrote:
    Try throwing yourself down the stairs, then give it another whirl.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,160
    JM16768 wrote:
    I remember vividly when No Code came out and ALOT of people didn't "get it" and thought they were trying to be U2 with Achtung Baby. Now its considered the HOLY GRAIL with the so called "real fans"...that still makes me chuckle. So I'm really curious to see where the album ranks in about 2-3 years.
    Me personally, I'm enjoying it very much! Sorry for those who don't. Lastly, I know some people like the pissed off stuff, and MYM covers that, but in all reality they are millionaires now, especially Ed, he is listed at being worth $80 million, imagine! So for me he'd be a whiny rich asshole if he was just all pissed off still on every song/record. Stopped listening to Metallica a long time ago for that very reason.

I can't wait for the shows to rock my socks off!! Old, new and all in between...YEAH!!! \m/!!

I loved No Code from the beginning. Achtung Baby is one of the greatest albums of all time, possibly my favorite. Lightning Bolt shouldn't be compared to either of those. I don't hate the record, but I don't think this one will be revisited much in the future. It's a bore (and yes, I hear Matchbox 20 in it, sadly).
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Hilarious! Keep em' coming guys!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    bk159954bk159954 Posts: 166
    What people fail to understand is that these songs come from within these 5 band members they have way more deep meaning to them personally than anybody here can ever feel for them yeah we might really like them or even love them or hate them , but like Mike stated in an interview Sirens is hi's most acomplished song he has written up to this point ....

Great post. And I agree it's a high water mark.....Mike should be proud. Sirens is fucking fantastic.