Options

going to a PJ show alone?

Comments

• Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 822
    I've done it once and would do it again.

Life's too short not to do what you want every now and then (even if you're the only one who wants to do it) .

And if people give you grief/heckle you for that...screw 'em. They are the sad ones.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I'm sorry to hear that so many of you have no friends. Sad.
    :lol: :fp:

If only more of my friends were wealthy like myself. :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,562
    rssesq wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I'm sorry to hear that so many of you have no friends. Sad.
    :lol: :fp:

If only more of my friends were wealthy like myself. :lol:
    And I dream for my friends to be childless. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    The Camaros HoodThe Camaros Hood Boston, MA Posts: 440
    I'll be going to LA 1 & 2 alone. It's the best way to get tix to a show when they go on sale. The computer finds those quick and easy. I purchased both tix in two separate transactions Saturday morning by 10:08 AM on TM and was worry free. Taking my wife to Seattle with the pair I got through the 10 Club. I am a happy man.
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    WhyGo91 wrote:
    I DON'T GIVE A LOAD OF CRAP!!! :lol:

Anyways haha, yeah I'll be going to the OKC show alone. I really don't care, and honestly if any of you think that its lame to go to a concert by yourself, you need to grow up. My best friend can't afford to go with me, and my girlfriend will be away in Wisconsin for an early Thanksgiving weekend. So I've had to end up going at it alone. Honestly I'm kind of excited for it: (1) It will be nice to go on a road trip by myself and just enjoy the time by myself (2) I always love meeting new people at these shows and everyone is so nice (3) it will be overall a lot cheaper since I won't have to mooch gas/food money from anyone and feel bad about it afterwards.

Anyone else think that it's ok to go at it alone? :ugeek:

i don't plan to be going alone this tour
    but i have - nothing to it
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Theres no such thing as going to a PJ gig alone....you are in the 10c who are the best bunch ever :)
    All you need to do is find the pub and turn up! I have met some lifelong friends from deciding to go to a PJ gig alone :mrgreen:

and this
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    My first Pearl Jam show I brought a friend who wasn't a fan and believe me I would have rather have gone on my own.

I've made a rule for myself, if it's a choice that I go alone or don't go at all I'll go alone. No point in missing out on something and who knows what can happen.
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    I've missed many a show because none of my friends wanted to go. Not PJ fans :fp: I don't have tickets yet for this tour because no one wanted to go. It seems like it's been a very enjoyable experience for you all so I think I'll give it a go. I'm new to the 10c. Hope you all let the new guy join in!
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    Mike's SideMike's Side Posts: 954
    I have gone to a bunch of PJ shows alone. By "alone" I mean none of my local friends boarded the plane with me but as soon as I land I have my PJ friends that I have met throughout the years. Finding new friends in the PJ community is easy because 99% of them are awesome! Just hit up the venue early then the preparty/postparty and socialize. I met "inedstree" on a solo trip just walking through the streets back to the same hostel in NYC after a show. We walked for a good mile on the opposite sides of the street until she crossed and said something like " usually I wouldn't just cross the street but you have a poster tube so I am pretty sure you won't kill me" lol. A few years and many shows later we are good friends, my friends are her friends, her friends are my friends and our friends are friends. That's what makes this the greatest band in the world!!! Don't let the fact your local friends are idiots. Go make new ones!
    1996 - Ft Lauderdale
    1998 - West Palm Beach 1
    2000 - West Palm Beach 1&2
    2003 - WPB,Tampa,Atlanta,Camden 1&2,MSG 1&2, Boston 3,Hershey Park
    2004 - Asheville, Kissimmee
    2008 - West Palm Beach,Tampa,Columbia,Virginia Beach, Mansfield 1&2
    2010 - Hartford,Boston,Newark, MSG 1&2
    2011 - PJ20 1&2, Costa Rica
    2013 - Wrigley,Brooklyn 1&2,Seattle
    2014 - Denver,Mountain View 1&2
    2015 - Bogata, Mexico City
    2016 - Ft Lauderdale,Miami,Tampa,NYC 1&2,Telluride,Fenway 1&2,Wrigley 1&2

• Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    I'll support this thread again :)

In 2003, after being a huge fan from 92 ( ten years old ) up until 98. When I got live on two legs I began bootleg trading and the obsession was already there.

Went with my gf to the shows in Houston in 2000.

When 2003 came around I wanted to just get away. Plus my favorite band was playing a full blown tour.

I took my income tax refund and everything I could spare. Went down to the local ticket master outlet only to be told (at that time) for shows out of the state I would have to do it by phone.

I booked myself 1 ticket to each of the following shows, the start of the tour, 4-1-03, Denver, Oklahoma, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans, Birmingham, West palm beach, and Tampa Florida.

I left for Denver on a greyhound bus. I bought tickets (so cheap then) 25-40 bucks tops for a one way to each major city.

Getting to Denver was easy but the after show was hard. I ended up walking back to the station from the city bus, and it was late. Probably not the best spot for a 20 year old kid to be.

Traveling from city to city was easy, but getting around in each city was difficult. So I started making friends with locals who could assist in directions, suggestions, rides etc.

Only once, in my hometown of Houston (of course) did I have any problems getting from the Venue to the bus stations. This is because the bus station is downtown Houston and the woodlands is a good 30-40 miles outside of the city.

I get to the Houston bus station, a place I will NEVER be inside again, so dangerous, I left and went to catch the city bus to get me to another bus to make the show.

After being dropped off, I waited and waited for the bus. It was a Sunday. I went inside and called and they told me, your in luck because this bus line only started running TODAY. Had it been one day before I would have been stranded.

So a mini half bus pulls up, no one one, and the driver drives me to the venue. He pulls up completely behind the venue, and I'm like great, I get to walk a mile around this place.

As I do, I hear a bike approaching behind me. I slowly turn my head as the person on the bike rides by and my brain goes, that's mike! So I'm like Hey! What's up! And mike stopped and came back, I asked him to play immortality (and they did!) and that's how I met mike :)

In New Orleans, I had to catch a ride with some other kids who needed a ride to the bus station. We all had so much in common, we pull out our cd books (this is the time of discmans still) and we all had the studio albums first, in order of release lol. It just felt so nice to meet random people who also were like me, unlike my friends at home who were punk wanna bes and didn't want to go see pearl jam because they "sucked" after no code came out.

I enjoyed my trip of 8 shows so much for my birthday I went back for two more shows, Dallas and little rock 2 months later :)

So the point of all this is it can be done, and I encourage it completely! I would NEVER suggest taking grey hound buses, even more so now a days, but if your alone when the actual show is going on, it's never a bad thing. You have nothing to worry about at all but yourself.

Anyone who worries about it really should come read this thread because it can be the time of your life as well as you being very safe doing it. It's like life, if you are aware of your surroundings you'll be fine. If your worried make some friends before or during the show. Trust me, you'll be fine. You'll only regret it if you have/had a chance and decide to skip it.
  • Options
    Went to Tres Mts alone. Met some really cool people along the way including Jeff and Mike! It was a great night.
    Pearl Jam
    9.18.98/10.27.09/5.13.10/7.19.13(earthcam)/10.21.13/10.27.13
    Solo/Side Project
    Balt MD 6.15.09 EV/Balt MD 10.9.10 BRAD
    DC 3.21.11 Tres Mts/DC 11.3.12 RNDM
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    I have gone to a bunch of PJ shows alone. By "alone" I mean none of my local friends boarded the plane with me but as soon as I land I have my PJ friends that I have met throughout the years. Finding new friends in the PJ community is easy because 99% of them are awesome! Just hit up the venue early then the preparty/postparty and socialize. I met "inedstree" on a solo trip just walking through the streets back to the same hostel in NYC after a show. We walked for a good mile on the opposite sides of the street until she crossed and said something like " usually I wouldn't just cross the street but you have a poster tube so I am pretty sure you won't kill me" lol. A few years and many shows later we are good friends, my friends are her friends, her friends are my friends and our friends are friends. That's what makes this the greatest band in the world!!! Don't let the fact your local friends are idiots. Go make new ones!

Great post, thanks man!
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    RE4790 wrote:
    -Emma- wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with doing something by yourself :) . I just wish that the 10C understood this and sold single tickets!

I made a thread about exactly this a while back and no one responded. Think about how many more people could get multiple shows in the lotto if they did that, and it would cut down on 10c ticket scalping dramatically.

I'll have to bump your thread. It is the one thing I'd really like 10C to change. :)
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    I'd love to see 10c make single tickets available too. Hope this happens with a future tour!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    I dragged my husband (bf at the time) to my first 4 PJ shows. He's a fan, but not a FAN. Then I went to SLC by myself, then Philly, now I am hooked on going to shows by myself. Have gone to a total of 7 solo. Since PJ never seems to come to Denver anymore, I use it as an excuse to take a vacation ALL BY MYSELF. It is awesome, and everyone should do it.

I almost always meet up with friends when I'm there, but if not, I just go to the pre-party and meet some new ones! :mrgreen:

If you go with a friend, spouse, whatever, make sure they are as into PJ as you are. Otherwise, you are missing out.
    Pepsi Center - Apr 1 '03, Jul 2-3 '06 | Grant Park - Aug 05 '07 | E Center - Sep 28 '09 | Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27 '09 | Sprint Center May 3 '10 | Scottrade Center May 4 '10 | Alpine Valley - Sep 3-4, '11 | Wrigley Field - July 19, '13 | Pepsi Center Oct 22, '14
  • Options
    marc34marc34 Boston MA Posts: 221
    I have gone to 3 EV solo shows and 2 PJ shows by myself. Will be doing Hartford possibly solo this year. As you get older and lose touch with friends and life happens its not easy to get a casual fan to go to multiple shows, especially with costs, family etc. I find its just easier sometimes
    Hartford 96
    Mansfield 98 x 2
    Mansfield 00 x2
    Mansfield 03 x 3
    Boston 04 VFC x 2
    Hartford 06
    Boston 06 x 2
    Hartford 08
    Mansfield 08 x 2
    EV Boston 08 x 2
    Hartford 10
    Boston 10
    EV Providence 11
    EV Boston 11
    EV Hartford 11
    Worcester 13 x 2
    Hartford 13
    Buffalo 13
    Baltimore 13
    Fenway 2016 x 2
    Hot Stove 2017
    Fenway 2018 x 2
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    Going to a PJ show alone, or meeting up with someone who got there in their own car, is the way to do it. When you're with someone else, you have to compromise about when you leave. They might get bored and want to leave right after the last note of the last song is played.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I did this for one of the Boston shows in 2006... it was one of the best experiences I've ever had at a concert.
  • Options
    lpeddlelpeddle Posts: 293
    I'm going alone to Philly! First time going solo...I hope to meet some fun people :D
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    I'm going to Worcester 2 solo! First PJ show I'm flying solo for I've done it for other bands I'm pumped! Night 1 I'm going with one of my best friends and fellow Pearl Jam nuts!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,838
    I'm going to Worcester 2 solo! First PJ show I'm flying solo for I've done it for other bands I'm pumped! Night 1 I'm going with one of my best friends and fellow Pearl Jam nuts!

Same here :) Going with the wife Night 1, then Woo 2, solo.

Wifey thinks I'm slightly insane, but she's not a crazy fan like I am ;)
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    I went to the London, ON show alone and actually ended up sitting next to a guy also alone and from the same city as me.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    EarlWelsh wrote:
    I went to the London, ON show alone and actually ended up sitting next to a guy also alone and from the same city as me.

And yada, yada, yada, you never heard from him again?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    Yep... Hitting up PITT & BUF on my own. Will be a nice little wknd getaway, I haven't been on a little road trip in awhile. Haven't decided about BAL & CHARVILLE yet. Won tickets through the lottery but haven't asked anybody to go yet.. We'll see what happens.
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    EarlWelsh wrote:

And yada, yada, yada, you never heard from him again?

How'd you know? I thought we had something special.
  • Options
    Went to San Diego 2006 with a blind date ticket partner and we had a blast! Same goes for Cincinnati and Chicago 1 that tour too. When I go with friends they just don't get it and I usually end up in my own little zone anyway so it doesn't really matter who's right there with you. I guess the pre-party stuff is more challenging but it's just another opportunity to meet more awesome PJ fans!
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    looks like I am going to Pittsburgh and Buffalo alone too, but I am sure I'll run into some crazy fucks who know how to have a good time :lol:
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    I'm heading to Pittsburg alone it should be a good trip.
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    I have been to a few PJ shows alone. I enjoyed it
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Most gigs I go to I go on my own but with PJ gigs, once you're a fan club member & go to a pre-party, or hang out in the GA queue, meet some other 10c peeps, there's no such thing as goin to a PJ gig alone. You'll have a blast & probably make some really good new friends. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011