Options

going to a PJ show alone?

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Done this with Pearl Jam and other acts I like, countless times. Honestly, the only time it might be a little awkward is before the show starts and between the opening and main acts. Mostly, it's just boring. Once the music starts, it really doesn't matter, at least in my experience. I'm not paying attention to the people around me anyway.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    see, I knew I was cool!!! :lol:
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    Done this with Pearl Jam and other acts I like, countless times. Honestly, the only time it might be a little awkward is before the show starts and between the opening and main acts. Mostly, it's just boring. Once the music starts, it really doesn't matter, at least in my experience. I'm not paying attention to the people around me anyway.

Couldn't have said it better.....when the music starts, I'm totally oblivious to those around me, I get caught up in the music and the moment....did the 2011 PJ Canadian run of Toronto, Ottawa, and Hamilton solo and ranks right up there with greatest life experiences I've ever had....being out on the open road, free in my thoughts and my music, and meeting new people with a common passion, it was truly a special time...and I'm old :lol:
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    WhyGo91 wrote:
    I DON'T GIVE A LOAD OF CRAP!!! :lol:

Anyways haha, yeah I'll be going to the OKC show alone. I really don't care, and honestly if any of you think that its lame to go to a concert by yourself, you need to grow up. My best friend can't afford to go with me, and my girlfriend will be away in Wisconsin for an early Thanksgiving weekend. So I've had to end up going at it alone. Honestly I'm kind of excited for it: (1) It will be nice to go on a road trip by myself and just enjoy the time by myself (2) I always love meeting new people at these shows and everyone is so nice (3) it will be overall a lot cheaper since I won't have to mooch gas/food money from anyone and feel bad about it afterwards.

Anyone else think that it's ok to go at it alone? :ugeek:

Search for the OKC group on FB. (PJFam Going To OKC)

you'll be amongst friends
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    WhyGo91 wrote:
    see, I knew I was cool!!! :lol:
    :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    There is nothing wrong with going to a show alone. Tons of us do it at least once in a while. You're there to take in the music, not chat with a friend. Sometimes you can only get a single to a show you really want to see. What I think is lame is missing an amazing concert just because you can't get two tix together or find someone who wants to go.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Windermere11Windermere11 Earth Posts: 133
    Went to PJ 20 solo. It's awesome. You do what you want when you want how you want. You will meet far more people than if you're worried about what someone else might want to do. Enjoy!
    Yep. Totally agree. I said the same thing to my 3rd ex-wife.... :shock:
    Thank you Mike!!!

1990 12/22
    1991 2/1,26; 3/1; 5/25; 8/23,29
    1992 1/3,17; 7/22; 9/20
    1993 9/5; 10/25; 12/7,8,9
    1995 6/24; 11/4
    1998 7/10,11,13,14
    2000 10/22,25,28,30
    2003 6/2,3,5,6; 10/28
    2006 7/6,7,9,10,12,13; 11/30; 12/2,9
    2009 9/30; 10/1,6,7,9
    2010 5/1
    2013 11/21,23,24
    2014 10/25
    2016 11/14
    2018 8/8,10
    2021 9/26; 10/1,2
    2022 5/3,6,7
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Went to PJ 20 solo. It's awesome. You do what you want when you want how you want. You will meet far more people than if you're worried about what someone else might want to do. Enjoy!
    Yep. Totally agree. I said the same thing to my 3rd ex-wife.... :shock:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    jodiemjodiem Posts: 133
    Damn straight!

I'm coming all the way from Australia solo to do as many West Coast shows as I can... bring on the new found friends who "understand" :clap: :thumbup: :wave: :clap: :thumbup: :wave:
    1995: Perth
    2006: Sydney x 2
    2009: Philly, Sydney
    2013: San Diego, LA1 & 2, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver, Seattle

EV Solo - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney x 2
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    There's nothing wrong with doing something by yourself :) . I just wish that the 10C understood this and sold single tickets!

When you're by yourself sometimes you'll end up chatting to other people who you wouldn't necessarily have talked to if you had been with a friend. Last year I travelled by myself overseas for 5 weeks, I didn't know anyone. It was a good experience and I had some interesting conversations with people along the way.
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    karicorbittkaricorbitt Posts: 207
    I'm doing Seattle solo!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I did Boston II alone in 2004. I gave away my extra. Right as the lights went down like 3-4 people squeezed into that seat and tried to tell me I was in the wrong place. Kind of killed my mood.

Philly I in 2009 was cool. A scalper offered me $20 for the floor seat and I told him to fuck himself. Then I made him watch me walk through the turnstile with the ticket and I gave him the finger. Good show experience overall.

I spent a good amount of PJ20 alone during the days, as my friend was resting in the lodge. He was recovering from surgery. Met some great people.

Hamilton 2011 went by virtue of Maynardsux's extra (see above). Was totally worth it. Great show and good company.

It is slightly awkward though. I am a pretty introverted person, so I have a hard time really interjecting myself on a scene with strangers who seemingly know each other.
    It is a better experience with a friend... but no problems going alone. In fact, Im going alone to Philly I, II, and Baltimore
  • Options
    RE4790RE4790 Posts: 795
    -Emma- wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with doing something by yourself :) . I just wish that the 10C understood this and sold single tickets!

I made a thread about exactly this a while back and no one responded. Think about how many more people could get multiple shows in the lotto if they did that, and it would cut down on 10c ticket scalping dramatically.
  • Options
    pookasnakepookasnake Posts: 161
    I went to Wrigley alone and had a blast. Met tons of cool people and followed my own agenda. It was awesome!
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there....

9b62a062-ff5e-4ae3-9ff8-6d47ef18c764_zps86ddfa45.jpg
  • Options
    wall05wall05 Posts: 304
    Did Philly 2 and 3 by myself back in 2009. I was 19 and none of my friends wanted to go and I said "f*** it, I'm going"

Best decision I've ever made in my concert going career :)
    2008 - Camden, NJ 1
    2009 - Philadelphia, PA x4
    2010 - Newark, NJ, New York City, NY x2
    2012 - Philadelphia, PA
    2013 - Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA x2, Hartford, CT
    2016 - Philadelphia, PA x2, New York City, NY 2, Fenway 2
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Had a great time going solo to shows before.

Doing Hartford solo this year.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    Going to Philly 1 solo, as my son was able to get me a great seat! :D

I agree that it would be great if 10c sold single tickets. My husband is not always anxious to go along, and he's the one who always seems to end up with that second ticket! :lol:
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Nothing lame about it, I actually wish the 10c would sell single tickets because I go alone so much! :lol:
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    sandgropersandgroper Posts: 172
    Of course it's ok to go alone, I travelled by myself to the USA and europe to see PJ. Yeah it can get lonely but if you make an effort, you meet heaps of great people by going to the pre and post parties.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Went to the London show solo. won the last real PJ ticket lottery for 10 Club members. Sat front row center FLR2 Row A SEAT 8. :o had the best show out of over 70 that Ive seen.

:lol:
  • Options
    Going to a show alone is amazing.. Just went to Wrigley solo and met up with 10C members I met here on the board who arranged to get me a ticket. Met some incredible people (looking at you Mary Beth and Speedy) and I honestly would prefer to go to future shows this way instead of bringing a friend from home. It just complicates things. Trust me, you will have a great time. Enjoy!
    Clarkston - 6/25/03
    Grand Rapids - 5/19/06
    Auburn Hills - 5/22/06
    Chicago - 8/5/07
    Hartford - 6/27/08
    East Troy - 9/3/11
    East Troy - 9/4/11
    Chicago - 7/19/13
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804
    Going to a show alone is amazing.. Just went to Wrigley solo and met up with 10C members I met here on the board who arranged to get me a ticket. Met some incredible people (looking at you Mary Beth and Speedy) and I honestly would prefer to go to future shows this way instead of bringing a friend from home. It just complicates things. Trust me, you will have a great time. Enjoy!
    You walked in to that Hot Dog Joint...
    And I thought we were gonna end up calling a paramedic!

hehehehehe

Someone get this poor man some water!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626

Glad you had fun.

:P
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    I've done it numerous times, If you are outgoing it will be no problem. And you don't have to worry about hearding cats!
  • Options
    WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    You guys are the best! Seriously, I knew I wasn't the only one but I had no idea that you guys would support this so heavily :)

Like I said in my original post, I'm really excited to go at it alone. I've got a 9 hour drive to Oklahoma City and it will be quite an experience getting on the road just for myself. I don't usually get a lot of alone time to think about stuff so it'll be nice. Thanks again everyone for you support!
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • Options
    jmsjms Posts: 243
    I went to StL and Indy by myself a few years ago and had a blast. I will do it again in a second if my buddies bail on Seattle.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear that so many of you have no friends. Sad.
  • Options
    -Emma- wrote:

When you're by yourself sometimes you'll end up chatting to other people who you wouldn't necessarily have talked to if you had been with a friend. Last year I travelled by myself overseas for 5 weeks, I didn't know anyone. It was a good experience and I had some interesting conversations with people along the way.
    So far I have only traveled alone for PJ shows. You're not really alone - you just meet your friends there!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear that so many of you have no friends. Sad.
    :lol: :fp:
  • Options
    have done it before (gorge #1 2006, bologna 2006, pistoia 2006) & will do it again. if the choice is go by myself or miss a show...it's a pretty easy choice :)