Options

going to a PJ show alone?

124»

Comments

• Options
    I go to just about everything alone -- not only PJ/other concerts and club shows, but movies, restaurants/bars, museums, the mall. Wherever. The only time I don't go to a show alone is if my single, 25 year old niece accompanies me. By the time I hit a certain age, all my friends were married with babies, and they pretty much stopped living outside of their soccer games, play dates, and neighborhood block parties. Either I was going to continue to live the life I want, or get sucked up in a social scene I want no part of.

If you're self-consciously worried that people think you're weird, guess what? Nobody gives a shit about anyone but themselves. They're not paying attention to you at all. Just go and have the fun you want to have and don't think one more minute about it.
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    I go to just about everything alone -- not only PJ/other concerts and club shows, but movies, restaurants/bars, museums, the mall. Wherever. The only time I don't go to a show alone is if my single, 25 year old niece accompanies me. By the time I hit a certain age, all my friends were married with babies, and they pretty much stopped living outside of their soccer games, play dates, and neighborhood block parties. Either I was going to continue to live the life I want, or get sucked up in a social scene I want no part of.

If you're self-consciously worried that people think you're weird, guess what? Nobody gives a shit about anyone but themselves. They're not paying attention to you at all. Just go and have the fun you want to have and don't think one more minute about it.

Amen. Going to the movies alone is one of my favorite things to do.
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    I've gone to one PJ show on my own (out of 7) ... and I was feeling uneasy (and like a bit of a loser before heading out to the show) because of the fact I was alone. But it turned out to be an amazing night, memory of a lifetime.

Compare that to the time that I took a dear friend but who was only a casual music / PJ fan ... she had a great time and was amazed by the fan energy, but only recognized a handful of songs. And kept asking 'what is this song? is it new? why are people booing (for Boom)? ...etc. She couldn't understand why we had to get to the venue early. It was nice to have company, but to be honest it would be better to be on my own.

Been to two EV shows and one RNDM show on my own also. Met some great people (including Jeff) and am so glad I went.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    I've gone to a couple of concerts by myself. One was PJ. I bought my ticket from a 10c'er outside the venue and sat next to him the whole show and had a blast. I also, a couple of months later went to Vegoose in Las Vegas by myself. A whole festival. Saw Widespread Panic that night and met a bunch of really cool people I wouldn't have otherwise if I'd been there with a group of my own people. I say go for it and you will not necessarily be alone.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    I'm going to Dallas by myself and I am totally looking forward to it!!! I can't wait to make new friends!
  • Options
    WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    I'm just throwing this out there, but based on what I'm reading, is it fair to say that we all aren't REALLY going alone? :)
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    For starters, I'm pretty young in comparison to most of the people I've seen at PJ concerts. While a very small portion of my friends enjoy PJ, none of them like PJ enough to part with the money it costs to see a live show. The only person I've ever traveled to a PJ show with has been my Dad. Now that we live 1000 miles apart, my only real option is to travel by myself. Hitting Worcester 1 & 2 this year. I say "travel" to a show alone as opposed to "attending" or the more general, "going to", because once arrive at a PJ concert, there's no such thing as being alone.
  • Options
    Erik1977Erik1977 Heerlen Posts: 140
    Great topic! This tour will be the first time that I'll be going to PJ shows alone (the sad reason can be found here: http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=215466 ). I'm flying over from Europe. So I'm sure it will be quite an experience and also difficult at some times. But damn, I'm so much looking forward to this trip, can't wait! Although I'm quite an introverted person I'm looking forward to meet new people and make some new friends at the pre parties.
    2000 Pinkpop
    2006 Arnhem, Antwerp
    2007 Düsseldorf, Nijmegen
    2009 Rotterdam, London
    2010 London, Nijmegen, Berlin, Arras, Werchter
    2012 Manchester I, Amsterdam I + II, Werchter, Berlin I + II, Stockholm
    2013 Brooklyn I + II, Philly I + II
    2014 Amsterdam I + II, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Werchter, Leeds
    2016 Fenway I + II
    2018 Amsterdam I + II, Pinkpop, London I + II, Padova, Kraków, Barcelona, Seattle I + II
    2022 Pinkpop, Zürich, Frankfurt, London I + II, Prague , Amsterdam I, Amsterdam II
    2023 Austin I + II

• Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,015
    WhyGo91 wrote:
    I DON'T GIVE A LOAD OF CRAP!!! :lol:

Anyways haha, yeah I'll be going to the OKC show alone. I really don't care, and honestly if any of you think that its lame to go to a concert by yourself, you need to grow up. My best friend can't afford to go with me, and my girlfriend will be away in Wisconsin for an early Thanksgiving weekend. So I've had to end up going at it alone. Honestly I'm kind of excited for it: (1) It will be nice to go on a road trip by myself and just enjoy the time by myself (2) I always love meeting new people at these shows and everyone is so nice (3) it will be overall a lot cheaper since I won't have to mooch gas/food money from anyone and feel bad about it afterwards.

Anyone else think that it's ok to go at it alone? :ugeek:
    You're never alone in this family...
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
    The last two times I attended Pearl Jam shows with a spouse:
    *Boston 7-11-13....divorced not long after
    *PJ20 Alpine Valley....divorced not long after

So I will be doing this tour solo. Thank God.
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,966
    I went to see Soundgarden alone recently, the first time I've been to a gig myself. But I had a great time and met some nice people. Plus everyone you meet loves the same band so you always have something in common!
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    calvo17calvo17 Posts: 440
    Brooklyn 2, Philly 1 & 2 and Hartford, going alone.
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there.
    11/20/11 San Jose, Costa Rica
    10/18/13 Brooklyn 1
    10/19/13 Brooklyn 2
    10/21/13 Philly 1
    10/22/13 Philly 2 (BREATH!!)
    10/25/13 Hartford
    10/22/14 Denver (BREATH!!!)
  • Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    I'd like to take a little phrase from Liverpool and coin it for pearl jam shows...

"You'll never rock alone." :D
    :thumbup:

*side note: Suarez back next game!!*
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    hitting Baltimore solo. found a single 8 rows from the stage. couldnt pass it up. driving down from Long Island, and driving back right after to get kids on bus Monday morning
  • Options
    JR86440JR86440 Posts: 737
    WhyGo91 wrote:

Anyways haha, yeah I'll be going to the OKC show alone. I really don't care, and honestly if any of you think that its lame to go to a concert by yourself, you need to grow up. My best friend can't afford to go with me, and my girlfriend will be away in Wisconsin for an early Thanksgiving weekend. So I've had to end up going at it alone. Honestly I'm kind of excited for it: (1) It will be nice to go on a road trip by myself and just enjoy the time by myself (2) I always love meeting new people at these shows and everyone is so nice (3) it will be overall a lot cheaper since I won't have to mooch gas/food money from anyone and feel bad about it afterwards.

hmmm..Early thanksgiving weekend? you might want to see where she is REALLY going since Thanksgiving is 2 weekends away
  • Options
    WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    Ok, we're talking about the United States of America Thanksgiving lol, not the Canadian Thanksgiving. :lol:
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • Options
    yell to the yeah.. gone alone.. never really thought anything of it.. I always see the same people around,lol. Start up a conversation which is easy with a beer in your hand. :) then.... let the party begin... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I cant wait.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    I think I'll be hitting the SD show on my own....first time rolling alone to a PJ show...
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    WhyGo91 wrote:

Hey I've done it, no big deal. Was in Chicago in 2006 on a business trip and went solo there. I get lost in the music so I could hardly tell the difference.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    It helped that I was sitting by some nice people as well.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    I went to Montreal '11 alone and had the time of my life!! :D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    marc34marc34 Boston MA Posts: 221
    I am doing Buffalo, Worcester 2, Hartford and Baltimore solo this tour
    Hartford 96
    Mansfield 98 x 2
    Mansfield 00 x2
    Mansfield 03 x 3
    Boston 04 VFC x 2
    Hartford 06