Options

SOUNDGARDEN - KING ANIMAL - Nov 13 2012

Comments

• Options
    GrandmaGrandma Posts: 259
    benjs wrote:
    Back from Soundgarden. My ears are ringing, and I am fucking ECSTATIC. Such a phenomenal show, and being able to devote four hours for the treat of being one person away from Chris Cornell, is unbeatable, and something Pearl Jam should consider for North American audiences. A few asides - Matt is a beast, and Kim seems very grumpy.
    How early did you have to arrive? Trying to figure out my strategy for next week.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    This album is pure excellence.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    By Crooked Steps and A Thousand Days Before are easily in my favourite SG songs list.

Attrition is another song I am starting to like.
    The first half of the album I like, still trying to get the second half to grow on me.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    I can't stop listening to King Animal. It's the exact music I've needed for a while.

Same, it is my driving music this week.
    Makes the trip to and from work bearable.
    About time my ears heard something fresh.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Really getting into Non-State Actor and Worse Dreams now. Probably my favourites with Eyelids Mouth & Rowing.

Still struggling with By Crooked Steps and Attrition. Halfway There just isn't a Soundgarden, belongs on a Chris Cornell album much like Just Breathe belongs on an Eddie Vedder album.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    boyo79 wrote:
    Really getting into Non-State Actor and Worse Dreams now. Probably my favourites with Eyelids Mouth & Rowing.

Still struggling with By Crooked Steps and Attrition. Halfway There just isn't a Soundgarden, belongs on a Chris Cornell album much like Just Breathe belongs on an Eddie Vedder album.

Yeah I'd have to say of the entire album, Halfway There is the only one I've been skipping.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    MSnider44MSnider44 San Diego Posts: 746
    Non-State Actor (killer song on the album) ........might be about Sarah Palin from AK.

After an audience question regarding the song was asked on the SiriusXM Live Discussion Roundtable earlier tonight, the boys started discussing the song. One of the boys shouted out "Palin!" after the question was asked and discussion was had.

Here's the Wiki the boys of Soundgarden suggested we look up later tonight.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-state_actor
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    boyo79 wrote:

Yeah I'd have to say of the entire album, Halfway There is the only one I've been skipping.

Don't mind that song.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Grandma wrote:
    benjs wrote:
    Back from Soundgarden. My ears are ringing, and I am fucking ECSTATIC. Such a phenomenal show, and being able to devote four hours for the treat of being one person away from Chris Cornell, is unbeatable, and something Pearl Jam should consider for North American audiences. A few asides - Matt is a beast, and Kim seems very grumpy.
    How early did you have to arrive? Trying to figure out my strategy for next week.
    Doors opened at 7 - my friend and I got there at 5 and there were about ten people in front of us - that number somehow grew to around 25 as people who knew each other did the chat 'n' cut to get in line, but that didn't matter :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    On another note - anyone have an extra pair for either night in Toronto in January? My birthday is the 31st, and I decided I'd be crazy not to treat myself to another dosage of such a phenomenal band live. :D
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Have given this one a good listen too before posting on here.

I'm really really impressed. Big big fan of 'By Crooked Steps'.

Had high expectations... and was a little concerned... but they delivered. Definitely a Soundgarden album- it easily could have been the next in line if released 15 years ago.

Looking forward to the Vancouver show!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    chaslilchaslil Westminster CO Posts: 306
    I am not much of a Soundgarden fan but wondered if anyone had posted this cover of Black Hole Sun by Grace Potter & the Nocturnals at the Beacon Theater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DZnS3f904#!

Charles
    Charles
    "The Who is my life. Pearl Jam is my retirement"
  • Options
    Worse Dreams - Fan made video??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj8ocvPEz2o

If so, done well, very well.
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    chaslil wrote:
    I am not much of a Soundgarden fan but wondered if anyone had posted this cover of Black Hole Sun by Grace Potter & the Nocturnals at the Beacon Theater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DZnS3f904#!

Charles

pretty good, I wonder if her fans even knew what was going on?
  • Options
    Really starting to love this album now.
    I take back what I said earlier.
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Really starting to love this album now.
    I take back what I said earlier.
    It definitely grows on you. That said, I'm taking a break from the album for a little bit. I had to listen to it on repeat for a while, preparing for the show on the 16th, and I don't want to wear it out. I'm seeing them again twice in January so I'm sure I'll be incessantly listening to it in the near future.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    There is more guitar work from Mike McCready on King Animal than there is on Backspacer :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    "Rowing" imo is one of the better songs in recent years from ANY band i listen to, (which is not relegated to pj) but whatever. i am transfixed by this song, the lyrics, bass groove, structure are just monumental awesomeness.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • Options
    The album got a 4/4 star rating in the local newspaper today. Nothing but positive words.
    :D
  • Options
    RFTC wrote:
    "Rowing" imo is one of the better songs in recent years from ANY band i listen to, (which is not relegated to pj) but whatever. i am transfixed by this song, the lyrics, bass groove, structure are just monumental awesomeness.

Rowing was tainted for me before I even heard it by some guy on the SG forum who kept saying it was like a religious sermon, with Cornell preaching to the masses. That made me feel nauseous. I need to give it another try with a clear head...
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Really loving Rowing right now :D
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Suziemay wrote:

You get the live on Letterman version from their fan club? Both songs translate really well live!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    You get the live on Letterman version from their fan club? Both songs translate really well live!
    Yes! Haven't listened though, just re-listening to King Animal again in its entirety since I didn't love it first time around but loving this right now!
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Hey, so I mentioned to my Dad the other day that Matt's drumming with soundgarden is a lot more intense than with PJ generally. Can anyone help me with songs to play him, or YouTube clips to send him to explain? TIA. :)

oh & happy touring to people seeing them on the eat coast atm. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    Hey, so I mentioned to my Dad the other day that Matt's drumming with soundgarden is a lot more intense than with PJ generally. Can anyone help me with songs to play him, or YouTube clips to send him to explain? TIA. :)

Jesus Christ Pose! Saw Matt drumming on this up close. WOW. I was so engrossed with Matt that I missed taking a picture of Chris in his Jesus Christ Pose!!! :lol::lol:

Review/pics from Terminal 5 (mostly pics): http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... pla_5.html
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    morello wrote:

Jesus Christ Pose! Saw Matt drumming on this up close. WOW. I was so engrossed with Matt that I missed taking a picture of Chris in his Jesus Christ Pose!!! :lol::lol:

Review/pics from Terminal 5 (mostly pics): http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... pla_5.html

I agree, Jesus Christ Pose...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCKKVtzAm2E
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Suziemay wrote:
    morello wrote:

I agree, Jesus Christ Pose...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCKKVtzAm2E
    Great. Cool. Thnx guys & glad the show was great Su May. :) Oh &&& you so know you have to go to the other shows if you possibly can!! 8-)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    TOMORROW!! :D:D
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2