Options

Jesus and Eddie: someone has to say it

Comments

• Options
    lcusicklcusick Posts: 310
    Oh God, here I am on a religious topic LOL

Anyway, here is the way I see it:

I think Ed makes a point to not take a stance on one side of the fence. If you look at the lyrics, there are lyrics that could lead you to believe either way. It seems to me he is a master at taking himself out of the situation and looking at it objectively. I don't think he has ever said either way and I'm sure that's how he wants it to be. However, from my humble viewpoint, he is not a Bible thumper, but to say he is an atheist is a stretch too. If I had to go on lyrics only, I think there is more to support that he has a belief in something or at least some faith in something higher. However, he is very critical of it, as people on both sides of the argument make it very easy to be at times. Also, look how much his life has changed in the past few years (wife and children), people change, so who knows if he believes the same way he did 10-20 years ago? Not many of us do. Anyway, I think he want's his own personal religion to remain private. He is very respectful of our beliefs and I think we should be the same toward him. I've read several previous post and it seems to me that many are finding a small remark made years and years ago and holding on to that. Some of them I read I could make at least two or three interpretations of the meaning of the statement. So, my thoughts are that his religion (or lack of religion) is part of his private life and that is how he means it to be.

(On a side note, I attend church some and yes, there are even some thieves and lairs that sing in the choir, it's just how it is. Not only Ed, but the Bible recognizes that.) I agree with what cradles broken glass said 100%
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    DinghyDog wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    oh ... and you know it well ... it is simple and means so much to me :D

Just Breathe (Lyrics)

Artist: Pearl Jam
    Composer: Pearl Jam
    Lyrics:

Yes I understand that every life must end, aw huh,..
    As we sit alone, I know someday we must go, aw huh,..
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love,..

Some folks just have one,
    Others they got none, aw huh,..

Stay with me,..
    Let’s just breathe.

Practiced are my sins,
    Never gonna let me win, aw huh,..
    Under everything, just another human being, aw huh,..
    Yeah, I don’t wanna hurt, there’s so much in this world
    To make me bleed.

Stay with me,..
    You’re all I see.

Did I say that I need you?
    Did I say that I want you?
    Oh, if I didn’t now I’m a fool you see,..
    No one knows this more than me.
    As I come clean.

I wonder everyday
    As I look upon your face, aw huh,..
    Everything you gave
    And nothing you would take, aw huh,..
    Nothing you would take,..
    Everything you gave.

Did I say that I need you?
    Oh, Did I say that I want you?
    Oh, if I didn’t now I’m a fool you see,..
    No one knows this more than me.
    I come clean.

Nothing you would take,..
    Everything you gave.
    Hold me till I die,..
    Meet you on the other side.

For some reason death has been on my mind recently. My death, the death of people I love, and what may or may not come next. And by recently, I mean for about the last 3 yrs. before that I didn't think too much about it. In any case, when the idea of someone I love dying comes into my head, the only thing that takes away the panic is that no matter what is on the other side, if they were to die, I would be there with them one day.

I've lost so many and my own mortality a daily question

this feeling now .. the crowd around me ... my beloved souls who have traveled on
    is so keen it is indescribable.

This feeling is strength when I feel I just can't take anymore,
    it is peace when I am lost, cheer and joy when I am most down,
    it is never feeling alone. It is love from beyond.

That fact that this exists makes everything I will face ok,
    and sometimes the anticipation of being with my loved ones again
    well... the lyrics to Can't Keep just play in my head... on high volume :lol:

I still have much here, I am needed still but know when I am gone
    I will remain to comfort and love those I have left behind.
  • Options
    deepenbluedeepenblue Brussels Posts: 13
    well, in the info of this page you can read the three essential quotes of Eddie about religion, and where we all ought to stand concerning this topic:

http://www.facebook.com/PEARLJAMISM

or shall we better be listening to Faithful to be in an enlightening path?.. ;-p

let's all keep on rocking on a free PJ world... ! :)

Cheers, Love & Peace
  • Options
    hmmm.. been back reading this post even the post where it says Ed's an atheist...etc...I should have quoted a lot in that post, it's worth a read but that would fill this thread... I learned about peoples views on religion life and all, different people different opinions and views, like looking from a camera at different angles.

Well there's no one really who can answer about Ed's beliefs, spirituality and religion except Ed himself. He may have said some things about god and religion in the past but I don't hold to it in my opinion, he and the band have evolved, their views, their ways, their music, most probably (again, that's my opinion). Though from a different context Ed said that youth and wisdom doesn't go all together or something like that. So I guess he/ they have evolved, learnt and processed things.... the band is older than me and they've seen and experienced more than I did, thus I believe they have learned from pain, experiences and all of the things they have gone through. I myself is still evolving, I try not to hold on to the past mistakes I've said and done, don't we all? (but I stand corrected)

I didn't really want to comment on this topic because its too big, but I am now, (thanks for reading though) I do not intend to offend or try to pull something here (I hope I wont offend anyone at the end of this), just wanted to share as well. I was born a Catholic, not that I am proud, I have my share of doubts and questions (a lot!) on this religion...I don't practice this, but I have "Faith", I believe in God. But then I believe that religion has been tainted by man, used and abused, I think religion and its teaching in its purest sense was suppose to be good. Like a lyric of a song, people may interpret it differently so as religion. Some views and teachings about it may be shallow, some may be too deep and may have gone out of proportions that it becomes dangerous, and hardly are pure. I believe that no matter what religion you are in or you're not in, it doesn't matter. There are those who are (sorry for the term) hard core church goers, even preachers but have skeletons hidden in their closets, and there are those who don't believe that there's a god at all but are pleasing/good and kind in and out of themselves.

I think we all just have to be respectful of each other (although I myself would somehow find it hard to grasp if Ed would be an atheist, but I wouldn't know, and he's entitled to his own belief or non belief, so I'll leave it at that and respect it). I just hope none of them would mock or jest on people with beliefs because it would really cut deep... I look upto them... that would be sad...but it is what it is.

Just spread the love, respect and listen to great music...! So even with all the chaos around us there would still have a corner of peace, respect and good music!
  • Options
    USARAYUSARAY Posts: 517
    hmmm.. been back reading this post even the post where it says Ed's an atheist...etc...I should have quoted a lot in that post, it's worth a read but that would fill this thread... I learned about peoples views on religion life and all, different people different opinions and views, like looking from a camera at different angles.

Well there's no one really who can answer about Ed's beliefs, spirituality and religion except Ed himself. He may have said some things about god and religion in the past but I don't hold to it in my opinion, he and the band have evolved, their views, their ways, their music, most probably (again, that's my opinion). Though from a different context Ed said that youth and wisdom doesn't go all together or something like that. So I guess he/ they have evolved, learnt and processed things.... the band is older than me and they've seen and experienced more than I did, thus I believe they have learned from pain, experiences and all of the things they have gone through. I myself is still evolving, I try not to hold on to the past mistakes I've said and done, don't we all? (but I stand corrected)

I didn't really want to comment on this topic because its too big, but I am now, (thanks for reading though) I do not intend to offend or try to pull something here (I hope I wont offend anyone at the end of this), just wanted to share as well. I was born a Catholic, not that I am proud, I have my share of doubts and questions (a lot!) on this religion...I don't practice this, but I have "Faith", I believe in God. But then I believe that religion has been tainted by man, used and abused, I think religion and its teaching in its purest sense was suppose to be good. Like a lyric of a song, people may interpret it differently so as religion. Some views and teachings about it may be shallow, some may be too deep and may have gone out of proportions that it becomes dangerous, and hardly are pure. I believe that no matter what religion you are in or you're not in, it doesn't matter. There are those who are (sorry for the term) hard core church goers, even preachers but have skeletons hidden in their closets, and there are those who don't believe that there's a god at all but are pleasing/good and kind in and out of themselves.

I think we all just have to be respectful of each other (although I myself would somehow find it hard to grasp if Ed would be an atheist, but I wouldn't know, and he's entitled to his own belief or non belief, so I'll leave it at that and respect it). I just hope none of them would mock or jest on people with beliefs because it would really cut deep... I look upto them... that would be sad...but it is what it is.

Just spread the love, respect and listen to great music...! So even with all the chaos around us there would still have a corner of peace, respect and good music!
    Good thoughts and feelings awesome first post
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    EDDIE IS GOD!!
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    IgotshitID wrote:
    EDDIE IS GOD!!
    I thought that was Mike ;):D
  • Options
    lcusicklcusick Posts: 310
    I think there is a difference between spirituality and organized religion. From what I have read and Eddie's song lyrics. I do not believe he practices an organized religion. I think he is a very loving and caring person who cares about others and social injustices. I think Pearl Jam has spoken out about many issues that are personal to them. I applaud them that they stand up for what they believe in even if it may offend some fans. I think Eddie has a great deal of talent and he is a deep thinker and he has pondered many of life's questions as most of us do. In my opinion I do not think he would want to be compared to Jesus. He is just another human being going through this life journey like the rest of us. I believe that he is very spiritual because you can tell that he cares, loves nature, and finds the good in may people. He is a good person, but that does not mean he is God. Just my opinio for what it is worth. :D
  • Options
    donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    :D I don't know that much about religion, or Eddie for that matter.But some of his lyrics lead me to believe that he has a higher power.Or he wouldn't have written,"Meet you on the other side".There are events that happen.Some subtle,and some profound.I do not Question them,I just know they happened for a reason. All of which has meaning.Sometimes we get it,and sometimes we ignore it.And when we're confused,The answers will come in a way that only we can understand.It doesn't matter where you worship,It's how you worship.Religion is Oneself.
  • Options
    donnaruhl wrote:
    :D I don't know that much about religion, or Eddie for that matter.But some of his lyrics lead me to believe that he has a higher power.Or he wouldn't have written,"Meet you on the other side".There are events that happen.Some subtle,and some profound.I do not Question them,I just know they happened for a reason. All of which has meaning.Sometimes we get it,and sometimes we ignore it.And when we're confused,The answers will come in a way that only we can understand.It doesn't matter where you worship,It's how you worship.Religion is Oneself.

I tell my wife "we're soul mates" and "we'll be together forever" all the time. If I was a lyricist or a poet I'd put these phrases or something similar in a song or poem about her/us. Am I required to believe in a soul or the afterlife to write something like that? Do you honestly believe that someone who writes lyrics for a living holds every lyric he writes up to such a standard?
  • Options
    satansbed wrote:
    eddie seemed to believe in god during the writing of yeild, which might be were the religous refrences came from, but here at around 4:50 we see he does not(as of 1998 anyway) anymore

I always interpreted Faithfull as very anti-religious.
    Claudio
  • Options
    "meet you on the other side" :D

sometimes I just can't wait!
  • Options
    gotsome420 wrote:
    love that God what do you say?....
    calling out ...

thank you I enjoyed :D
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    gotsome420 wrote:
    calling out ...

Calling out Calling YOU out calling out calling YOU out out out ouuut
  • Options
    gotsome420 wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    gotsome420 wrote:
    calling out ...

Calling out Calling YOU out calling out calling YOU out out out ouuut
    I liked the response :D
  • Options
    who cares???
    I am mine.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    carmenere wrote:
    who cares???

nobody for the last 2 1/2 months. Why did you bump this thread...it was dying nicely!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    slobberdog68slobberdog68 In Hiding Posts: 683
    haha..I thought this post was referring to Eddie being "our" Jesus Christ :D
    Me, I live by the Golden Rule.
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• Options
    i won't read through 10 pages.. the first page was enough :D but i wonder how many so-called western christians would really bow at the feet of a jewish man? and how about sing praises to him? okay so his father was 'god' but his mother and his culture were jewish (no offence to any israelis, just saying that's all). if some believers were to see him today they may be surprised to find what they would consider to be an 'imposter' in the place of their anglicised idol. i tell you they're fooling themselves a lot of these religious zealots. eddie knows what's what.
    the very welcome storm
  • Options
    pj1981pj1981 Posts: 288
    I'm thinking anyone today in the presence of Jesus would be damned amazed, that applies
    to Eddie too :)
  • Options
    that depends on how much guilt and deceit you have to hide, just as it was in the day when they nailed him, no? or are you referring to the 'second coming'? cause that's not at all what i was referring to (not that i beleive in it the way the churches do...).
    the very welcome storm
  • Options
    that depends on how much guilt and deceit you have to hide, just as it was in the day when they nailed him, no? or are you referring to the 'second coming'? cause that's not at all what i was referring to (not that i beleive in it the way the churches do...).
    Simply I was speaking of today as you mentioned. Or in the afterlife or in a dream ...
    the feeling would be just amazing meeting both men.
  • Options
    well yes maybe i expressed it ambiguously but i think you missed my point. nevertheless i do get yours.
    the very welcome storm
  • Options
    well yes maybe i expressed it ambiguously but i think you missed my point. nevertheless i do get yours.
    Actually I think I got your point but myself and others might be an exception to your point ...
    be it 2000 years ago, today or tomorrow.
    I can only hope as I journey I will be blessed to meet both :)
  • Options
    i don't think much on the tomorrow part in respect to the ascended master but as far as the guy who overturned the temple tables, him i would have liked to meet. oh yeah. what a radical.

and i think he was right when he said in the end we would meet in homes cause the churches will have gotten so corrupt. and not only corrupt but so good at stifling the voice of the common person.
    the very welcome storm
  • Options
    i don't think much on the tomorrow part in respect to the ascended master but as far as the guy who overturned the temple tables, him i would have liked to meet. oh yeah. what a radical.

and i think he was right when he said in the end we would meet in homes cause the churches will have gotten so corrupt. and not only corrupt but so good at stifling the voice of the common person.
    Oh me too!
    Being a believer in spirit not necessarily holy,
    I feel I will indeed meet those I long to meet someday.
    I know many out spoken, well spoken church people as common as you and I.
    I've always viewed them as being free spirits that are devoted to something beautiful
    in it's pure state. I have envied that dedication as I have yet to find it.
  • Options
    No, I have a huge problem with anything 'church'. To me if you're at all switched on you would renounce that establishment and not align yourself in any way, as that would give a double impression. None of this 'make a difference at church' but rather let them be what they are, cause in the end if you stay it's because to some degree you do go along with the hype. what is the point, what would anyone be trying to achieve by 'changing' the leadership or conditions. the very nature of the zeal will end up corrupting any well-meaning efforts by these so-called free minded people you speak of. spirituality should be a personal thing and when i said before that people will end up meeting in homes, i was simply highlighting a biblical quote to show that jesus was even against churches and that it's not required to go to temple or church to relate to god or whatever you call it. i don't personally care to 'meet' with anyone myself, i can't profess to know what lies in the after-life. how can i say so and so will be there.. where? i know it says in the biblical txts that this will be that way etc but those writings have been altered so much that no-one can put any reliance on them with any real credibility at all. my spirituality is my own and i commune with whatever it is that inspires me. how can i put into words that which is of an ethereal element anyhow. to do so would diminish the experience and it would end up worthless. not meaning to hate on yo at all, just my truth.
    the very welcome storm
  • Options
    Not feeling a bit of hate from you towards me. Thank you for sharing your opinion
    and your knowledge on the subject. I don't belong to a religion or church.
    I just see churches as something good for people who need it.
    I also see the organization that is church answering needs in their own communities and
    reaching other's needs as well. Much good is done. Church often makes people stop and think.
    Helps them to be compassionate and loving. Helps to guide to make good choices.
    Gives strength.
    Yes we can have church alone and for you and me that is enough.
    But because either of us would choose to belong does not change how good we are.
    Just changes who we are good with, as I see it.
    Corruption can strike anywhere but in my heart I believe it is not the rule
    for the common folk who are the people filling the churches. I think to them it is not hype
    why they are there sharing, church is an important part of their life. They love it....
    maybe like we love Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    pj1981 wrote:
    Not feeling a bit of hate from you towards me. Thank you for sharing your opinion
    and your knowledge on the subject. I don't belong to a religion or church.
    I just see churches as something good for people who need it.
    I also see the organization that is church answering needs in their own communities and
    reaching other's needs as well. Much good is done. Church often makes people stop and think.
    Helps them to be compassionate and loving. Helps to guide to make good choices.
    Gives strength.
    Yes we can have church alone and for you and me that is enough.
    But because either of us would choose to belong does not change how good we are.
    Just changes who we are good with, as I see it.
    Corruption can strike anywhere but in my heart I believe it is not the rule
    for the common folk who are the people filling the churches. I think to them it is not hype
    why they are there sharing, church is an important part of their life. They love it....
    maybe like we love Pearl Jam.
    I also believe in alot of what you say.I also firmly believe that it doesn't matter where you worship,but how you...