Options

Breaking Bad Season 5 **Contains Spoilers**

Comments

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    Nothing in Breaking Bad is by accident. I think the most telling thing in the entire episode was when Lydia asked Walt to "swear on his children's lives that he wouldn't harm her". He didn't swear , but I'm starting to buy into thte theories that Holly might be the "unspeakable act" that Gilligan has mentioned.

This was the first episode in the entire series though where I had a problem with one of the details. Walt is always overly picky about "contamination" in his lab. Wouldn't all the dirt that poured into the container during the heist contaminate the methlamyne?
  • Options
    so that episode was the perfect example of why this is the best show on televsion. Vince had said this would be a pivital episode. And he delivered. Incredble use of tension and suspense, only to come out of NOWHERE with the kid in the end.

3 more to go, and i couldnt be happier with this season
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    I was certain that Walt was going to kill the kid...I thought this was the episode where Vince Gilligan said Walt would do something that we could never forgive. He did vote to kill Lydia though, so maybe that was it? Either way, as soon as we saw the kid and heard the train in the background I knew he was dead..the only shock was that Walt wasn't the one to do it. :o

why would you listen to what Vince says about upcoming episodes. i too knew this was an episode he said was going to be an Oh My god type episode, but i dont get why people watch previews for upcoming episodes, read tweets by the actors, or listen to podcasts with vince. This show is best when we have no idea whats coming, the end of this episode is a perfect example. I want to be surprised. Leading up to the episode, i dont check google news, i dont read tweets by anyone involved ever, i dont watch upcoming previews, and i dont visit threads like this or elsewhere. I dont want to know about upcoming info. I even refuse to look at the Comcast info that comes up when you click or highlight next weeks episode. Until I see the weeks episode i dont put myself in situations where i could find out what happened. And visiting this board and others like it prior to seeing an episode is a big no no

I think Breaking bad might even be on the cover of Rolling Stone and Paste this week. I refuse to read either. I dont want to even know.
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Nothing in Breaking Bad is by accident. I think the most telling thing in the entire episode was when Lydia asked Walt to "swear on his children's lives that he wouldn't harm her". He didn't swear , but I'm starting to buy into thte theories that Holly might be the "unspeakable act" that Gilligan has mentioned.

This was the first episode in the entire series though where I had a problem with one of the details. Walt is always overly picky about "contamination" in his lab. Wouldn't all the dirt that poured into the container during the heist contaminate the methlamyne?

Yeah, I noticed that too about not swearing on the kids. Like you said, Vince doesn't do anything by accident, so it's likely that that conversation serves a purpose. Also, the continued emphasis by Skylar that the kids are not safe and in "danger" (keeping in mind that Heisenberg is the danger) suggests that something is going to happen to the kids (namely Holly).

The only thing that I can think of in regards to the "contamination" is that it supports the transistion from Walt to Heisenberg...Walt represents the chemist side....having everything exact and precise...loving the perfection of each chemical reaction versus Heisenberg is about greed and building an "empire"...he's much more excited about the crazy robbery they just pulled off...just a guess.
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Every week just keeps getting better. I'm going to want a lot more than 3 more episodes
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,735
    Wow. What an episode. The whole heist storyline was so good that I completely forgot about the kid on the dirtbike in the beginning until he appeared again at the end.
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    From an interview w/ Anna Gunn:
    Q: What's on your Skyler playlist?

A: A lot of Lucinda Williams. "Rescue," and "Changed the locks." That's one of the saddest songs I've ever heard period. "Nobody's fault but my own," by Beck, "Lord I'm Discouraged" by The Hold Steady. A little Lenny Kravitz. Pearl Jam, "Better Man" -- that song always does it for me and gives me the chills! Ben Harper, Pleasure and Pain, Cowboy Junkies, some Brandi Carlile.

Skyler still has to die though :lol:

Full interview here: http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/201 ... erview.php
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24
  • Options
    Wow. best show ever, maybe best episode ever. I think the key to last night's episode will be Walt's response to Skyler's "Out burying bodies" query? Walt will regret answering "Robbing a train". The media coverage of the missing boy will be massive, and eventually it will be reported his favorite thing to do is ride his motorbike out by the train tracks. Skyler will suspect Walt's involvement, and I believe that may be what drives Walt to flee to Vermont. Though I guess that's about a year away, since he is there for his 52nd birthday. who knows
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    :o :shock: :nono:
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    Wow. What an episode. The whole heist storyline was so good that I completely forgot about the kid on the dirtbike in the beginning until he appeared again at the end.

i think that was the main point of the opening scene. After all that had happened in episode 4, i found it odd seeing that kid ride his bike, and find a tarantula. Made no sense when i first saw it, and was scratching my head when i saw it. At first i thought he was going to find evidence of the meth lab, or a body or something. The fact he found a tarantula didnt make sense to me. And I believe the majority of the episode, while brilliant, i think it was a ruse, by Vince to get us, the viewers, to forget the opening scene, and then out of nowhere comes this boy again.

Id say its one of the best episodes of the entire series
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    That opening scene usually sets the tone for the entire episode. Remember in the first or second season when Walt blew up Tuco's headquarters. They showed the place blowing up in the first scene...but you didn't know what it was.

The one thing that puzzled me though: Will the DEA not notice the USB bug on Hank's computer? The picture frame...maybe, but an out-of-place USB cord seems like it would stand out.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    That opening scene usually sets the tone for the entire episode. Remember in the first or second season when Walt blew up Tuco's headquarters. They showed the place blowing up in the first scene...but you didn't know what it was.

The one thing that puzzled me though: Will the DEA not notice the USB bug on Hank's computer? The picture frame...maybe, but an out-of-place USB cord seems like it would stand out.

PBM

good point about the opening scene, but this was something else, something they havent done before, i dont think. If you see a scene of something blowing up, i think that obviously alerts you something is going to happen, that something well...blew up or will. This opening scene though, was just a kid riding on his bike, and finding a tarnantula. Thats why i initially was puzzled about it. We had just had skyler trying to kill herself and the complete dissolution of the walt and skyler marriage, an intense and heated scene where skyler threatens walt and walt threatens her back. And then we start out with a scene that has NOTHING to do with anything. That was the brilliance of it.

wow, i missed that he put a bug on a usb cord.
  • Options
    I'm not positive...and at the moment can't point out an example...but I think they've done that sort of cold open before. Something that doesn't seem to relate to the rest of the show. Kind of like the eye in the pool after the plane crash in season one.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    I'm not positive...and at the moment can't point out an example...but I think they've done that sort of cold open before. Something that doesn't seem to relate to the rest of the show. Kind of like the eye in the pool after the plane crash in season one.

PBM

The one where the illegals are crossing the border and find Tuco's grill encased in glass was my favorite cold open.
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    Wow, a freaking train robbery, that was awesome! And I love that it was Jesse's idea. I'm already sad though that I just realized there are only 3 more episodes left this year :cry: I can't wait until the Walt & Skylar conflict comes to a breaking point.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options

i think that was the main point of the opening scene. After all that had happened in episode 4, i found it odd seeing that kid ride his bike, and find a tarantula. Made no sense when i first saw it, and was scratching my head when i saw it. At first i thought he was going to find evidence of the meth lab, or a body or something. The fact he found a tarantula didnt make sense to me. And I believe the majority of the episode, while brilliant, i think it was a ruse, by Vince to get us, the viewers, to forget the opening scene, and then out of nowhere comes this boy again.

They did a damn good job of making you forget that opening scene. Absolutely one of the best episodes of the series. This one won't be coming off the DVR for awhile.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684

It was very different for me. I saw the preview for this week's episode that aired last week so I knew this episode would include some kind of heist. I didn't know what was going on when it started, but at the end of the teaser, when the kid heard the train I knew it was going to end with him being killed for seeing something he should not have.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

It was very different for me. I saw the preview for this week's episode that aired last week so I knew this episode would include some kind of heist. I didn't know what was going on when it started, but at the end of the teaser, when the kid heard the train I knew it was going to end with him being killed for seeing something he should not have.

To each their own, and i completley understand the desire to find out what happens next, im chomping at the bit for next week. But it seems crazy to watch the previews. I avoid them like the plague, and plan on doing so for the next 3 episodes and beyond into next year. I try to even avoid AMC's website. And i refuse to go to threads like this too late in the day on Sunday, The power of the episode, and the final scene, was crucial to the fact that you didnt know how the thing would end. I personally breathed a huge sigh of relief as the train passed over jessie, and they were all high fiving and cheering. The idea that a kid would be watching then wasnt even on the radar for me, and of course their reaction to seeing the kid, and what Todd did to the kid, was just absolutely shocking and insane. Knowing what was going to happen, i think, for me, would have killed alot of the enjoyment of it. This show, maybe more than any other show on tv right now, thrives on the idea of a thrill a minute, edge of your seat, jaw dropping scenes and events happening. All i knew about the episode prior to seeing it, was that someone had mentioned Vince's podcast prior to the episode, where he said this would be a Holy Crap type episode. I got goosebumps as that final scene happened, and jumped out of my seat.

But yeah, I know people on here and elsewhere post interviews with the crew, and vince and tweets from Aaron about the show. Vince and everyone else has talked about , in some manner, sort of where this season was headed, but I really have tried to avoid it.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,250
    That final scene to me was a combination of jaw drop plus cringe. I had a feeling that helper guy was going to cause some trouble. Didn't know what, but I felt that a new guy was going to get killed, screw up, kill someone he shouldn't, get caught....something.
    Trouble is brewing...
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

This is why you should never watch the trailer for next week's episode ;)
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:

But it's so hard not to...I'm going to try to be good the rest of the season... :shifty:
  • Options
    afroannnie wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:

But it's so hard not to...I'm going to try to be good the rest of the season... :shifty:

I never watch the "on the next episode..." teaser for any of the shows I watch
  • Options
    how often do you guys think, that in real life, a situation like the one that ended episode 5, happens? I think, sadly it happens way too often, but just is never reported or people just dont know. I think probably people do happen on drug deals, or illegal activity, and are killed as a result. And there really is no way to tell that they died as a result of that, of knowing too much. Obviously the police are going to probably come to conclusions, in real life cases, that either the person was murdered, but they'd never pick up on that they were killed for knowing too much, or the body is never found, and the person stays missing for decades.

I think people are killed for knowing too much way too often.
  • Options
    probably happens all the time.
    not to mention, you'll hear about a body turning up, or someone dying, but then they never follow up on the story in the local news... if its not a big deal running in the national headlines, it sometimes just fades away.

I wonder why Walt just doesnt move out. Go back to the condo if he didnt sell it already or just find another place. They cant just let the kids stay with Hank forever... especially if they are together trying to work things out. It just looks weird and they're gonna start to wonder whats going on.

Its gonna feel like such a long time in between episodes once this first part of the season is over. Im thinking I'll re-watch the entire series during the break.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    Its gonna feel like such a long time in between episodes once this first part of the season is over. Im thinking I'll re-watch the entire series during the break.

I don't think it's coming back until next June/July. A pretty long break.

PBM

• Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I wonder why Walt just doesnt move out. Go back to the condo if he didnt sell it already or just find another place. They cant just let the kids stay with Hank forever... especially if they are together trying to work things out. It just looks weird and they're gonna start to wonder whats going on.

I think he doesn't move out because he is Heisenberg. He was a quiet guy and dominated by his wife and family for most of his marriage, and now he's taken charge (albeit in a pretty horrendous way) and he likes the feeling. He's staying because he CAN stay.

I read (maybe in the Rolling Stone article) that they won't start filming the second half until November or December.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    Only 3 more shows for the "season" - what BS. Love this show
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    I think he doesn't move out because he is Heisenberg. He was a quiet guy and dominated by his wife and family for most of his marriage, and now he's taken charge (albeit in a pretty horrendous way) and he likes the feeling. He's staying because he CAN stay.

Exactly. He's staying because there is nothing Skylar can do about it since she is pretty involved with this whole thing too with the money laundering. If she tries to take him down, then she's going down too.
  • Options
    Breaking Bad moving to Tuscaloosa, Alabama?

http://www.avclub.com/articles/police-a ... eth,83965/
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Breaking Bad moving to Tuscaloosa, Alabama?

http://www.avclub.com/articles/police-a ... eth,83965/

weird stuff.