Options

*** DC Fanviews Here 6/22/2008 ***

Comments

• Options
    All i can say is wow, what a great show. I'd like to start off by thanking the 10C for giving a kid with a 371XXX number second row stone's side seats. The energy from the band was incredible. Got so excited when they opened with Hard to Imagine; didn't think i had a shot of hearing that. Then Hail,Hail which is probably my favorite off of No Code, so it was great seeing that. the entire set rocked. Was so happy when they played I Am Mine, been to three shows and they've never played it. Then evacuation, i feel as though i am one of the few fans that likes this song, i was pumped when they played, and i thought the fuck up was great considering the spiel Ed gave before they played the song. Who You Are was amazing. Had to say the highlight of the night was RVM, this is my favorite PJ song and this version of it was amazing. All Along the Watchtower was fun especially when they brought the kid on stage.

All in all the best PJ show i've been to. The band was just oozing with energy.Also, i thought Ted Leo was great, i've never been impressed by the opening band, but now i think i might have to go out and get some of his cds.
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    PJ Post Recovery: Woke up, ears still ringing and ringing. Was that the phone? No.

It's always sad waking up the day after a PJ show cause you know that you might have to wait another 2 years to experience it again. I've enjoyed reading what others had to say about the show and I agree, RVM was the best I've heard in a long time. I'm still amazed at how long they played, usually they save a 29 song set-list for Mansfield, but last night we were the lucky ones.

Can't wait for the boot.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    next morning is here & I'm still smiling! What a great show. Goes to show what a crowd can do for a show. 10c seats in section 100 - our section was going crazy, funny how there are alot of posts on here from the 100's, everybody feeling the same way. I didn't sit down & my hands hurt from clapping! Anyway, they were just stellar last night, the energy, the vocals, the music...WOW!!!!! Have one more show (MSG2) & I CAN"T WAIT! It is going to be nuts (but my last one this tour so a little sad.)

Thanks for the great seats 10c (unfortunately I don't have them for MSG. but I guess my seats could be worse!)
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Options
    BuzdRiderBuzdRider Posts: 9
    So, for everyone not at the show, even the mountain goats in the very back upperdeck could see this 13 year old kid, Jake's, smile from ear to ear as he was playing Eddie's guitar tightly surrounded by Mike, Stone, Jeff, and Eddie banging tamborines. Eddie started the song saying they might have a special guest. So does anyone know how he got the sweet hook up? I saw him in the metro after the show and told him he did an aweseome job. I could tell he was still flying and in a daze of the best memory of his life.

So sound-wise, you could tell Mike was not happy with the sound all night. Bonnnaroo and VA Beach sound where far better.
    No More was amazing, Eddie played it almost every Solo show and now it appears to be the Encore break opener of choice. DC crowd rocked it, I was a Bonnaroo when Eddie played it and noone was shouting No More. Last night the entire place was belting it out and Eddie loved it.
    Get a buzz @ Buzd.org
    Bonnaroo - 6/14/08
    VA Beach - 6/17/08
    Wash. DC - 6/22/08
    EV - Wash. DC - 8/16/08
  • Options
    So this was show #18 for me and I must say it was great to be at one of "those" shows where they played forever with an amazing setlist. I do have to chuckle at those who are saying the setlist was average or whatever, as one would have to mildly retarded or completely new to Pearl Jam to not appreciate that setlist.

Anyways, the highlights have been mentioned many times over, but let me just say that out of the 18 shows I've been fortunate to witness, this one is easily top three and could be tops overall once I've had more time to really think about it.
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    Absolutely AWESOME show last night! H2I was a fantastic opener, really glad to see that. The stand out of the evening BY FAR was Black and RVM. I don't think I'll EVER see them play Black better then that! The band was really into it, it sounded absolutely PERFECT, and towards the end the crowd participation was great. Ed looked as if he was completely wrapped up in that too, and was dancing back and forth at that time. RVM was fucking CRAZY too, super high energy, very loud, and it sounded great. Like someone else said in this thread earlier, it felt like you were listening to these songs in 1994, not 2008.

I was also really stoked to see a great Hail, Hail, I Got ID, U, Comatose, Grievance, and Sad. I am not kicking myself for taking a piss break during Last Kiss. That's my only "official piss break song", and go figure, they turned around and played to the back of the stage during it! I guess I'll have to stick around for it should I happen again.

The only real flub of the night was the guitar problem during the "evacuated" evacuation, other then that the boys were on point and Ed's voice sounded great. I'm on the bus from DC to NYC right now, can't wait for tomorrow and Wednesday!
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    mulder11mulder11 Macomb, MI Posts: 75
    Thanks to the 10Club, I won the lottery - Section 2, Row A. Seats were between Ed & Stone. My friend and I couldn't believe it - but then the awesome show, set list and the energy coming from the band was phenomenal. Easily the best show I've seen from band.

That was Luke Russert on the side stage rocking it out. Not exactly sure how Ed knew about Jake, but he was leaning down talking to him before All Along the Watchtower - man, to be that kid.
  • Options
    matt770matt770 Posts: 134
    So this was show #18 for me and I must say it was great to be at one of "those" shows where they played forever with an amazing setlist. I do have to chuckle at those who are saying the setlist was average or whatever, as one would have to mildly retarded or completely new to Pearl Jam to not appreciate that setlist.

Anyways, the highlights have been mentioned many times over, but let me just say that out of the 18 shows I've been fortunate to witness, this one is easily top three and could be tops overall once I've had more time to really think about it.

I agree, I think people need to chill out with the setlist expectations. This was a great crowd and one hell of a great performance and had lots of highlights. Was it loaded with rarities and surprises? No.

I will echo what others said about RVM and Black, they were both amazing. More highlights for me were Sad, Grievance and Come Back. Lots of great singalongs last night. Great, great show, can't wait for the boot.
  • Options
    mulder11 wrote:
    Thanks to the 10Club, I won the lottery - Section 2, Row A. Seats were between Ed & Stone. My friend and I couldn't believe it.

I couldn't believe it when i saw that i had won the lottery; in total complete shock. It was my girlfriend's first show and needless to say she got spoiled with great seats and a great set.
  • Options
    jam_headjam_head Posts: 125
    one of the best pj shows i have seen bar none...what energy
    7/1/03- DC, 7/12/03- Hershey, 9/28/04- Boston, 10/1/04- Reading, 10/3/05- Philly, 5/27/06- Camden I, 5/28/06- Camden II, 5/30/06- DC, *7/22/06- Gorge I, 7/23/06- Gorge II*, 6/20/08- Camden II, 6/22/08- DC, *6/24/08- MSG I, 6/25/08- MSG II*
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,786
    The energy from the crowd and the band was fucking amazing. As everyone else is mentioning, RVM was insane. They rocked the shit out of that song. Awesome show. I'm so tempted to stay out on the east coast and go to msg......
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    The energy from the crowd and the band was fucking amazing. As everyone else is mentioning, RVM was insane. They rocked the shit out of that song. Awesome show. I'm so tempted to stay out on the east coast and go to msg......

MSG is going to be insane....Its definately going to be a marathon
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Sea wrote:
    Set List: Hard To Imagine, Severed Hand, Hail Hail, Do The Evolution, Small Town, Evacuation (part. first verse and chorus only), Corduroy, I'm Open, I Am Mine, I Got Shit, Daughter, Light Years, Even Flow, Green Disease, You Are, U, Who You Are, Why Go

Encore 1: Comatose, Sad, Given To Fly, Come Back, Grievance, Black, Rearviewmirror

Encore 2: No More, Last Kiss (by Wayne Cochran), Crazy Mary (by Victoria Williams), Alive, All Along The Watchtower (by Bob Dylan), Yellow Ledbetter/Star Spangled Banner

Please share your Fanviews of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
    Greatest show a greatest hits setlist?

;)
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,887
    30 1/2 songs - Wow
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    This was my 15th PJ show, and my 8th RVM, plus I've probably listened to about 70 other versions on boots. Listen people: something fucking happened to these guys there. That RVM was through the fucking roof. Sounded like a meshing of 2008 Pearl Jam with 1994 Pearl Jam. I even stopped moving and just stared, my mouth hanging open. BUY THIS BOOT!
    You were there! Arrggggh I would have said "Hello!" At least I said hello at Philly 05. Next time they are in DC, could you let me know? Good to know you were in the house. :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Murderers wrote:
    How was Ed's voice?
    Excellent! Really beautiful.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    stoney_13stoney_13 Posts: 1
    This was my 17th show - and the best seats ever. Many thanks to the 10 Club for putting me in row 2 right in the middle!

Many of the DC shows in the past have been sort of typical but this one was on a whole different level. Hits and rarities, a great crowd, band on fire (Evacuation aside...) all made for a memorable night.

What I will remember are all of the faces...the lucky few that Ed came over and sang Alive to...the look on young Jake's face as he looked out into that sea of humanity while playing Ed's guitar...and his mother in tears as she sat in the front row and watched the whole thing! Seeing that much joy in people made the show that much better for me.

Thanks to the guys...and the fans. It's gonna be hard to top but watch out MSG!!!
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,376
    Great show! I took a first timer and we ended up on the floor near the back. Great setlist and a good crowd.

I also got the encore setlist from Kille. :)
  • Options
    jhinkle1114jhinkle1114 Posts: 207
    danny72688 wrote:
    Greatest show a greatest hits setlist?

;)

Was a good mix IMO. I like to hear my favorite hits and some rarities mixed in so it was right up my alley!
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, DC
    2008: DC, Ed DC II
  • Options
    oneof10oneof10 Posts: 4
    Just got home from the show and a wonderful day in our nation's capital.

I have to agree with everyone here, this set list was fantastic! Highlights for me were RVM and Crazy Mary. Seeing Boom and Mike go back and forth to close this song out was killer.

Someone mentioned the setlist and Watchtower being "on the fly". Pretty funny actually... During the quick break from the first set I ran and grabbed a smoke, on my way back they were already into Comatose, and had just wrapped it up. Apparently a lady security guard was on her way back hurriedly, and she asked me what song they just played. I told her, and she had a copy of the setlist! As she looked down at it, I asked if I could see it :)

Sure enough, Watchtower was on it. I saw RVM and Alive, and that was about all I could remember. I was pretty stoked.

One thing no one mentioned was the poor-poor sound. I was up in section 400 so, not the best seats at all. You could not understand Ed when he was talking, it echoed badly. Also the solos were muffled. Sounded like they were playing in a tin can.

Im sure the sound was much better down below, but of my 3 shows Ive been to, this had the worst sound.

It was still an incredible setlist, performance and an amazing crowd.
  • Options
    SavedFuckerSavedFucker Posts: 215
    i was about 6 rows back directly behind the stage...i had no complaints at all.

-each of the band members kept acknowledging us in the back...at one point jeff looked up at the packed sections behind the stage and just shook his head laughing in disbelief. of course Mike made his way back towards us alot and Stone even spent a few moments just staring up at all the people behind the stage

-it was really cool getting an up-close look at what goes on behind and beside the stage, those guitar techs (esp. eddie's) are all over the place

-also got a really good look at the band communicating during and between songs, that always facinates me

-the kid who got to play on stage was a really cool moment. it's amazing how cool Pearl Jam is with their fans. i dont know the story behind that kid, but he'll have one heck of a story to tell his friends. he's probably still smiling!

-i guess i can say that i had 6th row seats front and center for atleast one song (last kiss) which was really awesome and very cool of the band to do..it looked like matt was playing the opening band's drumkit which was behind the stage..haha jeff and mike were together doing some 1950's side to side dance together while they played..it was cool to see them all having fun

-Crazy Mary blew me away...boom was ripping his solo then made the signal to mike to get his solo started but Mike just started walking over to Boom with the hawaii hand greeting kinda saluting Boom and told him to keep going...haha Boom seemed confused at first but kept soloing...then Boom and Mike were soloing off and on together..it was really amazing

-the Daughter interlude was unreal...haha i think we surprised eddie when we were hitting all those HIGH NOTES!..haha i couldnt help but laugh..i think he was challenging us and it sounded like we met his expectations..haha

-overall it was a very great show. High energy from the band. great choice of songs and a great crowd. i couldnt believe how many people were there. even the upper sections were packed. hopefully last nights show will bring them back to the Capital very soon.

peace
    i'll trade you my tee shirt for a grilled cheese
  • Options
    jhinkle1114jhinkle1114 Posts: 207
    oneof10 wrote:
    One thing no one mentioned was the poor-poor sound. I was up in section 400 so, not the best seats at all. You could not understand Ed when he was talking, it echoed badly. Also the solos were muffled. Sounded like they were playing in a tin can.

Im sure the sound was much better down below, but of my 3 shows Ive been to, this had the worst sound.

Yeah, it's much better lower. I won't got to a show with 400 level seats there. Has to be 200 or lower--I wasn't going to go as I'd missed the 10C pre-sale, but I lucked into seats in 220 off Stub Hub for less than they would have cost through ticketmaster. Damn glad I got them! Would be kicking myself today if I'd missed it!
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, DC
    2008: DC, Ed DC II
  • Options
    bryionakbryionak Posts: 27
    Great show, had a blast and thought it was much better than 2006. First show of tour without Betterman, so down to only 4 songs they have played every show, and now 3 that they have played all but one.

So 4 songs they played for the first time of tour last night? Comback, Last Kiss, You Are, and I'm Open.

So many highlights, everything was played well. The sound was good, but Mike did sound a little muddied. I was in Sec 111 right in the middle.

That whole 7 song first encore was just smoking. I really enjoyed the second encore too.

Hopefully it won't be two more years before I see em again.
    1994-4-08 Fairfax, VA GMU Patriot Center
    1996-9-24 Columbia Maryland Merriweather Post Pavilion
    1998-9-18 Columbia Maryland Merriweather Post Pavilion
    2006-5-30 Washington, DC Verizon Center
    2008-6-22 Washington, DC Verizon Center
    2010-5-13 Bristow, VA Jiffy Lube Live
    2013-10-29 Charlottesville, VA John Paul Jones Arena
    2022-9-14 Camden, NJ 
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    Setlist wise-probably the least exciting of the tour. Too few rarities for me, and still no In My Tree or Smile.
    i guess you didnt go to tampa

give me a fucking break You are......Green disease who you are watchtower?
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    scw156 wrote:

overall GREAT show... blew Camden out of the water

EDIT: i think im deaf it was so loud in there at the end of the night
    it was on par with camden 1 being at both. but definately smoked the limp dicked camden 2
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    i guess the few negatives first
    that was the worst acoustics i've ever heard in a building. i hope most arenas aren't like that, especially in pittsburgh when lemieux garden is done (that's what i'm calling it, tough shit). worst 10c seats i've had too, way far back on the floor. it seemed like they sold more fanclub seats than normal. glad i was there though.

but what a kick ass show. not gonna lie, i kinda hate that kid for playing on stage with them, might be a dream of mine, just saying. rvm was balls to the wall nuts. didn't expect watchtower. i laughed my ass off during evacuation, especially after stone ripped his plug out of his guitar. 10 songs i never heard live last night during my 8th show. strange spots for songs too, but it was solid. i've seen some better crowds, and some worse crowds, could've been where i was though. saw some old friends, met some new people waiting in line/in the crowd. always a good time. kick ass poster. glad i drove there and back yesterday.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    i forgot i noticed sound problems when i saw them messing with the boards during crazy mary. i thought mike sounded the worst of all, unfortunately.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    Incredible show.

First and foremost, I go to pick up my tickets and see that I won the 10club lottery!! My number is 407xxx, so I was expecting some shitty seats. Then I see it's 1st row RIGHT IN FRONT OF ED. This was my brother's first Pearl Jam show, he's not really a fan or anything, but doesn't dislike them. But when he goes and sees his first show in FRONT ROW, you know he's a big fan now!

The setlist was pretty great, I saw lots of these songs at WPB/Tampa, but some of them were still really new like You Are, U, I Am Mine, I'm Open, Hail Hail, Green Disease, Comatose, Come Back, All Along the Watchtower, etc...

oh and RVM was KICKASS!! Way better than the version at WPB!! At one point of the show, Ed tossed my brother his almost-empty water bottle, then later, Ed got ON HIS KNEES and extended his hand as far as he could to hand me a pick! It was insane, the security guard ended up giving me the pick after I still couldn't reach it... I was still hoping to catch other picks and stuff, but I couldn't. I'm still happy with what I got though, not to mention how amazing the show looked from the front. Thanks 10c!

As far as the crowd goes, much better than WPB and Tampa. This was only my 3rd PJ show, but it was the best one I've been to yet (the MSG shows will definitely be great... but this was front row.. don't know if they'll beat this one, I'll have to see for myself...)

BTW, that kid also got to go backstage with the band... saw him waiting with his mom during YLB, so that's really cool of the band to do that!

Amazing show altogether... anyone who says otherwise really has no clue what the fuck he's talking about!
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    Only my 4th PJ show and I'd rate it my second worst! Not saying it was bad in any way, got to experience a ton of new songs (HTI, Hail Hail, Evacuation, I am mine, Light Years, and like 6 more!).

Evacuation was one of my highlights as I have never seen them screw up that bad haha. Mike just stood over there the entire time not playing a chord and then Eddie just screams EVACUATIOOOOOOOOON!

Loved the You trilogy. Cheers to DC and PJ for putting on the usual great show!
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    did they use the "crazy lights" during YOU ARE???
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford