Options

*** DC Fanviews Here 6/22/2008 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,936
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Set List: Hard To Imagine, Severed Hand, Hail Hail, Do The Evolution, Small Town, Evacuation (part. first verse and chorus only), Corduroy, I'm Open, I Am Mine, I Got Shit, Daughter, Light Years, Even Flow, Green Disease, You Are, U, Who You Are, Why Go

Encore 1: Comatose, Sad, Given To Fly, Come Back, Grievance, Black, Rearviewmirror

Encore 2: No More, Last Kiss (by Wayne Cochran), Crazy Mary (by Victoria Williams), Alive, All Along The Watchtower (by Bob Dylan), Yellow Ledbetter/Star Spangled Banner

Please share your Fanviews of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    Hi Sea
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    jhinkle1114jhinkle1114 Posts: 207
    Incredible show, easily the best show I've ever been too. Was my 5th time seeing them and the setlist and energy combo tonight was just off the charts.

Black was amazing as always, definitely the best of the 3 times I've had the pleasure of seeing it live. Who You Are and Light Years were great, as was Watchtower. Tour debut of comeback. Just a phenomenal show.

So glad I grabbed some tickets off stub hub Friday rather than just skipping it since I'd missed out on the 10C presale. I'd be kicking myself looking at that set list and knowing what I'd missed out on!

My buddy had a blast too, it was pretty much is first PJ show. He'd seen them in 2000, but only caught a few songs as he got stuck and road work and got their super late. So needless to say it was a kick ass experience for him!
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, DC
    2008: DC, Ed DC II
  • Options
    Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    Setlist wise-probably the least exciting of the tour. Too few rarities for me, and still no In My Tree or Smile.
    Energy wise of, probably the best for this tour that Ive been to.
    I was side stage so I dont know if that distorted the sound but something was def wrong with Mikes guitar, besides the Evacuation thing.
    Over all Id give it a 7/10. First encore was great, main set was 'eh' and 2nd encore was 'eh'. The setlist really couldve used a little spice, like Nothingman, NAIS, Undone, something to make it really stand out. I know people are excited about You Are but that wasnt enough for me to make the show. I took a first timer and he is now a believer, so that was cool.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Easily one of my favorite shows.

Great crowd.

Makes up for the poor time I had Friday at Camden.

p.s. All the hot PJ chicks that were at the show, msg me!
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Setlist wise-probably the worst of the tour.
    Energy wise of, this being the third this tour, way up there.
    I was side stage so I dont know if that distorted the sound but something was def wrong with Mikes guitar, besides the Evacuation thing.
    Over all Id give it a 7/10. First encore was great, main set was 'eh' and 2nd encore was 'eh'. The setlist really couldve used a little spice, like Nothingman, NAIS, Undone, something to make it really stand out. I know people are excited about You Are but that wasnt enough for me to make the show. I took a first timer and he is now a believer, so that was cool.

Setlist the worst? That setlist is amazing. wow im shocked.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    Just got back. First, it was a pleasure to meet some members from the board in person, including Ms. Haiku and her niece. Hope you enjoyed. My seats were row M, Stone's side.

Great Great show. I thought it would never end. I've never seen encores like tonight, just kept going and going. I remember what Ed said during encore 1, "we aren't going anywhere". He surely meant it.

Main set was nice, "Evacuation" was ditched mid song. You could Stone giving Ed the end it sign since he was having guitar issues.

I think we had a very first in PJ history, a new "You" trilogy. "You Are", "U", "Who You Are". Bam,Bam.

First encore was just special, "Sad", "Comeback", "Black", could you ask for anything more. "RVM" to end the set with a super extended middle. Oh, "Comeback" had a extended end as well.

Second encore Ed comes out solo and gives a nice speech about "No More" and the crowd does a great job singing along. Very moving. "Last Kiss" was sung to the people in the back, I dont think Matt was playing drums, I think I heard a bongo though?

It was extremely warm mid-set, and then cooled down during the encores. 29 full songs, amazing. High energy from the band, Ed doing several jumps to end songs. I hope everyone else enjoyed.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    serpent boyserpent boy Virginia Beach Posts: 372
    Amazing show! The setlist was great (The "You" trilogy, HTI opener, Light Years) and the energy of the crowd was just unrivaled. Of the 9 shows I've been to, this may have been the most deafening crowd. Good work, D.C.! :)

My 10C seats were at the BACK of the floor, so my fiancee couldn't see a thing, and I couldn't see very much. I can't complain, though, since I won the lottery in Va Beach!

The posters sold out quickly. I was lucky to get one. And to the drunk guy who called me a "fucking faggot" for not showing him what the poster looks like at the end of the show, get a life.

Highlights for me:
    - 5 songs I hadn't seen before: Hard to Imagine, I'm Open, Who You Are, No More, All Along the Watchtower.
    - The "Black" solo. Mike killed it!
    - "You Are"!!! It sounded amazing. The crowd seemed more into "U" though. Is this the first time they've played a "You" trilogy?
    - The first encore was awesome! "Grievance" was a bit weird that late in the set, but I loved it! "Comatose" into "Sad" was great.
    - That was by far the heaviest "RVM" I've ever seen.
    - Even "Last Kiss" was good!

It's a shame they abandoned "Evacuation." I love that song. :)

THANK YOU, PEARL JAM! I'll see you guys next year.

P.S. I love Pearl Jam fans. You guys make these shows better than any other on earth.
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 232
    Still on the high of the show and not thinking clearly but here is my initial take. Great show. Not the best I have seen, but there were a lot of great moments. Stone and Mike were on fire, other than maybe the part when Evacuation was cut short because of a problem with Stone's guitar. Band seemed to have a lot of energy and Mike was his normal self running around the entire night like he was chugging gallons of Red Bull between songs. Didn't hear much from Boom.

Lots of talk from Eddie. He talked about the need to change things in the DC and "get a little color in the White House" before Green Disease. Then he said "the next few are about you" as they did You Are, U, and Who You Are. At another point - can't remember exactly when - he discussed businessmen who have become politicians and the need for the people, the shareholders, to take the power back. He then talked about oil companies wanted more offshore drilling when they aren't fully utilizing current wells. Before No More he said he was thrilled with the warm reception they were getting in DC and that he didn't know what they did to deserve it. At some point he mentioned his interest in making sure things go well in the election. I'm hoping that means they will be back to raise some money.

They sold tickets for seats behind the stage. Last Kiss was dedicated to those who were back there and the entire band turned around to play to those who had been looking at their backs the whole show. In the middle of Watchtower they brought a kid named Jake, I'd guess he is about thirteen, on stage. Ed gave him his guitar and had him play through the rest of the song including an extended jam with Jake in the middle and Jeff and Stone (on his knees) right next to him. Jake loved every minute of it.

Haven't been to any other shows on this tour but it seemed like several songs were slightly reworked and a lot of them were really tight. Highlights for me were DTE, Who You Are, Why Go, Given to Fly, Ed's talk about how great the audience was (it was more than just the token thank you he normally gives), and Watchtower. By the way, they definitely went past the 11:15pm curfew - they were probably over it during Alive. Lights were on for both Watchtower an YL.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    great energy. It was incredible...i've never seen a crowd like that in the DC area. It was surreal. Beats the last dc show by a landslide.
    I liked the encores a lot.
    The You trilogy was ok, but i would have preferred save you over U.
    some kid got the night of his life when eddie allowed him to play onstage for all along the watchtower
    Poster did sell sorta quick. When i went back out at 8, it was gone for sure. Those who did see it after the show liked it.
    speakers/sound system in that place SUCK. just horrible all the static. Of course if you listen to the boot, you'll think its crystal clear, but it was pretty bad.
    Something never thought you'd be part of
  • Options
    HOLY SHIT, in my opinion DC blew Camden the fuck away...longest show of the year 2 hours 40 minutes (besides Roo)....maybe top 5 for me out of 20 shows

The crowd was amazing, even though the people up in the 400s and some 200s were sitting, we rocked the fuckin lower area

Hard To Imagine - AGAIN? WTF!! I love this song as an opener!!
    Hail Hail - amazing to hear, sounded sooo tight, and perfect, got me goin for the night
    Do The Evolution - I think the crowd all shit themselves at the same time towards the end of the song, that song fuckin brought down the Verizon Center
    Evacuation - AHAHAHAHA...Mike just stood there with his hands behind his back not knowing how to play it...Ed looked at him, and laughed and just kept screaming EVACUAAATION, like really screaming and howling it for a good 10 seconds
    I'm Open - cool to hear, heard it before, i thought they were going to go into MFC after it, would have been sick

I GOT SHIT!!!! :D:D:D YES!! Rockin version, i was lovin every second of it...my section fuckin rocked too, CHEERS TO SECTION 100!!!

Daughter sing a-long was really loud for the interlude

Ed tried to explain to the crowd about the acres of land that aren't being used on purpose to screw the country of oil, and went right into Green Disease...after seeing this song again, it finally got me that they need to play this song more, it gets the 10c fans going pretty good

"these next 3 songs are for YOU"
    I was HOPING for Not For You but we got YOU ARE!!! :D fuckin YOU ARE!!! Then You with Ed just screaming FUCK YOU!! in the middle of it, ahahaha then a STELLAR version of Who You Are

Comatose got the crowd going again after a mellow main set, Sad kept the flow going pretty good...Given To Fly was amazing as usual, I realized that GTF is probably their best live song IMO

Come Back!!!! Someone had a sign 5 rows from the stage for Come Back and it was GORGEOUS, absolutely gorgeous, crowd was lovin it

Grievance started off fucked up but continued awesome...BLACK WAS FUCKIN GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I felt like it was Milano 2006 with this version crowd was SO loud...

****REARVIEW FUCKIN MIRROR!!!!!!!!!!****

Highlight of the show!!! Best version of RVM EVER...and I say that with confidence!!! OMFG

I'm tired but the rest of the songs were great

Congrats to JAKE!!! All Along The Watchtower was awesome to hear, i was jumping up and down like a little girl in a candy shop

AMAZING fuckin show...I can't believe MSG is going to be better...this show might be top 5 for me ever...Thank you DC and
    section 100

"GET COLOR IN THE WHITEHOUSE" - Eddie
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492
    easily the best show i've seen. all around amazing
  • Options
    I'm Open - cool to hear, heard it before, i thought they were going to go into MFC after it, would have been sick

Highlight of the show!!! Best version of RVM EVER...and I say that with confidence!!! OMFG

Haha, I thought the same thing about MFC! I could swear he was ready to play it.

And 100% agreed on RVM. Best version I've ever heard. SOOO LOUD!
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Options
    TT98TT98 Posts: 135
    wow wish i could have been to that show, just hope they come over to the west soon
  • Options
    dburbadburba Qatar Posts: 39
    Great show! Seats were in front row of second floor section (Section 5, sorry if you were behind me, I'm tall). I was there with a first-timer, so I'm really glad it was a great show. RVM always blows the roof off the place, but tonight's was extra-killer, I thought. Glad Evacuation flamed, I never liked that song :) Great energy in the crowd, I definitely prefer an arena show to an outdoor pavilion any day. Plus, lotta cute women. Oh, and the look on Jake's face was maybe the best part of the night.
  • Options
    hailhail1980hailhail1980 Posts: 427
    damn f&$%ing awesome set
    Ebi
  • Options
    so someone mentioned a "you" trilogy... what about the "I" trilogy: I'm Open, I Am Mine, I Got Shit

no?
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • Options
    Since I was sitting right near the lighting people, I saw a setlist during "Hard to Imagine." I really couldn't make out too much, and after a quick glance, I decided that the random nature of the shows is what makes it special for me, so I didn't look back.

But I did make out: "Hail Hail," "I'm Open," and "You." I about shit myself when I saw "I'm Open" (let alone 2 NO CODE songs!) on there. :)
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,926
    Had a freakin brilliant time. Well worth flying over from the UK for. Was great to meet so many people at the pre-show meet-up and at the show. Thank you so much to Magnolia77 (Nicki) for the fantastic floor seats. Cheers!
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    KamiKami Posts: 100
    This was my 2nd show and I had a FANTASTIC time. They covered most of the songs that I felt were missing from the DC show 2 years ago.

I brought my mom with me (a converted fan!), and she had a great time, too. I thought the crowd was great and the guys sounded excellent!!!

I'm definitely riding that Pearl Jam high, and I don't think I'll be able to sleep for another couple of hours!
    2006 Washington D.C.
    2008 Washington D.C.
    2010 Cleveland
    2012 Philadelphia
    2013 Brooklyn 1, Baltimore
    2016 NYC 1
    2021 Ohana Encore 1
  • Options
    I forgot to mention, was it not the best version of "Light Years" of all time? Simply amazing. First time seeing it live and it was soooooo sweet. Love this song.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    I forgot to mention/ask: Does anyone else think they spotted Luke Russert on the side of the stage (Stone's side)? I swear there was a guy that looked JUST like him...
    2006 Washington D.C.
    2008 Washington D.C.
    2010 Cleveland
    2012 Philadelphia
    2016 NYC 1
    2021 Ohana Encore 1
  • Options
    ProgFan511ProgFan511 Posts: 51
    This is my first PJ show and let me say HOLY F*cking SH!T

Im still in different dimenson after this show!!!

But, anyway i got to thank the dude i got the ticket from Marc(10club mem.) for hooking me up with the ticket.

Even though seats weren't on the floor they were still awesome.

A Perfect 10/10

by the way i was the dude in the tye-dye Bad Brains shirt
    6/22/08 DC
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    obiwon76 wrote:
    J

I think we had a very first in PJ history, a new "You" trilogy. "You Are", "U", "Who You Are". Bam,Bam.

Not only that, but there was an I trilogy as well. I am mine, I'm open, I got shit. Get it? I and You?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    ProgFan511ProgFan511 Posts: 51
    O yeah forgot to mention to say hello to all the beautifu girls that were in the house. Hit me up lol
    6/22/08 DC
  • Options
    Not only that, but there was an I trilogy as well. I am mine, I'm open, I got shit. Get it? I and You?

Very true, I wonder if Ed purposely did the set-list that way or it was spontaneus?

Now, maybe we can see the "Man" then "You" and "I" trilogy in one single show?
  • Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    At the beginning of the show I was getting ready for disappointment as the crowd didn't seem to be into it. About a half hour in we started to come around... as the night wore on the crowd got better and better and it got louder and louder. The boys really responded too. Easily a top 2 or 3 show for me. Good songs, great crowd. What happened on evacuation... it looked like stones guitar broke or something. Black was probably the best I've seen, the crowd just out of nowhere got REALLY into it. Ed was just standing and watching. and the best was when Ed brought up Jake to play guitar then gave him a tambourine and set list... I thought Jake was going to smash the guitar he was so into it! anyone know the story on him?

overall GREAT show... blew Camden out of the water

EDIT: i think im deaf it was so loud in there at the end of the night
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Options
    jmccue7jmccue7 Posts: 119
    best PJ show i've ever seen. RVM was just incredible. can't wait to drive up tuesday to see them.

SECTION 100 ROCKED OUT!
    Merriweather '00
    East Troy '03
    Boston I '04
    Pittsburgh '06
    Lollapalooza '07
    DC '08
    MSG I & II '08
  • Options
    jmccue7 wrote:

SECTION 100 ROCKED OUT!

HELL YEAH! I was section 100. :)
    2006 Washington D.C.
    2008 Washington D.C.
    2010 Cleveland
    2012 Philadelphia
    2016 NYC 1
    2021 Ohana Encore 1
  • Options
    deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    I GOT SHIT!!!! :D:D:D YES!! Rockin version, i was lovin every second of it...my section fuckin rocked too, CHEERS TO SECTION 100!!!

section 100 here too!! i had an amazing fucking time!
  • Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    section 100 here too!! i had an amazing fucking time!

section 100 was a little crazy tonight.
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False