Options

*** DC Fanviews Here 6/22/2008 ***

Comments

• Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    locked wrote:
    did they use the "crazy lights" during YOU ARE???

You better believe it. Not as crazy as in '03 tho.
  • Options
    17 Hours since the show started. After careful thought, definitely the best PJ show I've experienced out of

six. Started off great, but got off track when Evolution broke down. Still the crowd went crazy when it did

break down, as if they planned it to be so.(was it Stone's guitar or Mike's forgetting the song?) Eddie

turned around and asked if everything was ok back there, it turned out not to be ok back there, but

eventually was. It says a lot that this band was able to pick it back up in a hot arena and stun first timers

and long timers with a show that will probably never be forgotten by all in attendance. Last Kiss is now

one of my live favorites after being one of my least favorites. I thought that RVM couldn't be as good as

the VS. version after hearing it 3 times previously but as the other posts said, it was. I agree that the

black solo was like none that I had ever heard before. The $70 ticket broke down to around $2.40 per song

which is definitely not unreasonable. I didn't expect to hear 13 more songs after Why Go ended the first

set. I didn't expect to hear 6 more songs after a 7 song first encore. And definitely didn't expect this

large DC crowd to stick around for almost 3 hours on a worknight but, those in attendance knew that the

outcome of this show could not be assumed, only watched until the end.
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    Hail Hail to the band for going over curfew too. The f-ers at the VC brought up the house lights around 11:15 and they still played two more songs. I'm sure they were pretty amused when Mike played a much extended version of "Ledbetter".

Someone mentioned sound issues, I swear you couldn't hear Boom during the "Crazy Mary" solo til the bitter end. Was very loud and somewhat distorted, especially on the heavier songs. I have 60% of my hearing back.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    You Are, U, Who You Are

hahaha
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    obiwon76 wrote:
    Hail Hail to the band for going over curfew too. The f-ers at the VC brought up the house lights around 11:15 and they still played two more songs. I'm sure they were pretty amused when Mike played a much extended version of "Ledbetter".

Someone mentioned sound issues, I swear you couldn't hear Boom during the "Crazy Mary" solo til the bitter end. Was very loud and somewhat distorted, especially on the heavier songs. I have 60% of my hearing back.

I wear ear plugs to concerts and it really helps!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Loved the show despite the sound issues. Boom's solo on CM was way too low. Mike seemed frustrated more than once. I base this on watching him point to his guitar and go thumbs up or thumbs down several times.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    awesome.

truly awesome.

I was SHOCKED as to how good this show was, we never get this lucky in DC for shows... no matter who it is, we are always the guys stuck in a date inbetween truly great sets in Philly/NJ and New York... this time, this time PJ delivered the goods, and unpacked them right in front of us.

loved it.

Cant wait for the bootleg
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    "lying sideways atop crumpled sheets and no covers
    he decides to dream... dream up a new self, for himself"

Mansfield, MA (August 07, 1992)
    Mansfield, MA (August 08, 1992)
    Boston, MA (April 12, 1994)
    Washington, D.C. (January 15, 1995)
    Mansfield, MA (September 15, 1998)
    Mansfield, MA (September 16, 1998)
    Bristow, VA (July 01, 2003)
    Hershey, PA (July 12, 2003)
    Reading, PA (October 01, 2004)
    Washington, D.C. (October 11, 2004)
    Washington, D.C. (May 30, 2006)
    E. Rutherford, NJ (June 03, 2006)
    Washington, D.C. (June 22, 2008)
    Bristow, VA (May 13, 2010)
    Baltimore, MD (October 27, 2013)
    Fenway Park, Boston, MA (August 07, 2016)
  • Options
    smoke20smoke20 Posts: 50
    second pj show both at dc, had my two sons this time 19 and 17, unbelievable night black, crazy mary, and ledbetter with the anthem although it did piss me off when some aholes didnt take off their hats, most did. we saw buffett in philly last week, much better tailgating, but eddie and the boys kicked the old parrotheads ass on stage.
  • Options
    Such a fun show last night. Got a chance to go to the Nationals new ballpark which was awesome too. Scored a poster at pretty much 9 o clock right as the band started HTI, its ok that i was late cuz the beer line was so long. The only negative was that it was so damn slippery inside. i literally fell 3 times from my flip flops.
    98- 9/8.9/10.9/11
    00- 8/3, 8/4, 9/1.9/2
    03- 4/28. 7/8. 7/9. 7/14
    04- 10/1
    05- 10/3
    06- 5/4!!!!, 5/12. 5/13. 5/27, 5/28, 6/1, 6/3
    08- 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/25, 6/27, 8/4
  • Options
    Everybody has recapped this amazing show perfectly.

Just wanted to say...I've been a PJ fan for years and seen them live 10+ times but only recently did I renew my 10c membership. This show is the first I've actually bought 10c tickets. And Holy crap am I glad I did!

Thank you so much 10c, my 414,xxx number got me on the floor, row 10, stone's side. WOW.
  • Options
    I will post pictures in af ew
    98- 9/8.9/10.9/11
    00- 8/3, 8/4, 9/1.9/2
    03- 4/28. 7/8. 7/9. 7/14
    04- 10/1
    05- 10/3
    06- 5/4!!!!, 5/12. 5/13. 5/27, 5/28, 6/1, 6/3
    08- 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/25, 6/27, 8/4
  • Options
    shedidntshedidnt Posts: 1
    Can't believe it's been almost 10 years since the first time I saw Pearl Jam in concert! Last night was awesome in Section 2 about six rows back from the stage--thanks 10C!

I scoured the FAQs and couldn't find anything on posting pics from the show, so if I'm in violation, will gladly delete my post. Anyhoo, these are my pics from the show--there are two of Jake who got to play onstage at end in case he or his mom are on here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/shedidnt/sets/72157605765329718/
  • Options
    Hold OnHold On Posts: 80
    Thank you so much 10c, my 414,xxx number got me on the floor, row 10, stone's side. WOW.

Umm. No acutally. Winning the LOTTERY got you those Tix. Rows 1, 2, 9 and 10 were done by lottery, so you won and didn't even realize it until now. Funny.
  • Options
    ninjadaveninjadave Jtown PA Posts: 131
    pretty amazing gig, we drove down from Pennsylvania and had a blast. my 4th show and my nephew's 11th. my member number is 394xxx and i had section 121, my nephew was in 101. i thought the sound was pretty good, you guys must be way picky cause i've been to a lot worse gigs. at least the PA was angled to the sides and front, its usuallly just at the front. talk about MUD if you are anywhere near the sides.....it was loud but not too loud, my ears are pretty much back today. you guys up in 400 and such, you will NEVER have decent sound that far up, that was so fucking high up i wouldn't sit up there without a parachute......NUTS!!!

really tight show, amazing energy. the talk about RVM is not exaggerated. the jam at the end is beyond description and its unfortunate that the live disc may not translate it well.....i hope it does. it was mind blowing. the "You Are" lights were way cool, funky as shit.

we kinda hit the lottery on the way out, in line for the METRO, who walks up next to us.....JAKE the man and is mum. kid never said word, people where calling him eddie and stuff. i think they were nervous about it but he was no more than 12/13 yrs old.

enjoy the rest of the gigs everyone. personal thanks to ed and band for leaving it all out there last night. what a show!!!
    ~ ninjadave ~
    2003 - State College 5/3
    2006 - Cleveland 5/20 and Pittsburgh 6/23
    2008 - Washington DC 6/22
    2009 - Philly Spectrum 10/28, 10/30 and 10/31
    2010 - Columbus 5/6 and Cleveland 5/9
    2011 - Philly [EV] 6/25 and PJ20 9/3-4
    2013 - Pittsburgh 10/11, Buffalo 10/12, Philly 10/21-22 and Baltimore 10/27
    2014 - Detroit 10/16
    2016 - Philly 4/28-29 and Philly [TotD] 11/5
    2022 - Ottawa 9/3 and Camden 9/14
    2024 - MSG 9/3, Philly 9/7-9 and Baltimore 9/12
  • Options
    freshymadfreshymad Posts: 54
    edited May 2014
    Opening with Hard to Imagine was a brilliant choice. That song just invites the crowd in with its rare sensitivity. And the ice breaker was Evacuation. Who there didn't just crack up and realize they just shared a moment with not only the band, but every person there! Follow that up with a sing-along and we're practically family by then! I was feelin' SO good!

Two moments that stand out: Eddie during one song (sorry can't remember which, due to the blur sensation) off on stage left. Listening to the crowd sing, and I mean sing beautifully (we rocked!). His head back, looking up, arms outstretched and spinning slowly around in that open pose. If we were the rain, he was getting fuckin' drenched. Filling himself up with the love. I'll never forget that picture in my mind. He's not allowed to sing "If just once, I could feel love stare back at me" and mean it from now on! Second was Jake's face. Where was the fear? No fear, just a huge, innocent smile that I'm sure is still there right now. What a doll. Thanks so much Jake.

Black. I've played that song, I don't know, 500 times. That's the one song I'd take to the proverbial deserted island if I were left there to die. That experience with that song, 18 YEARS after they wrote it, was a miracle. The crowd, the most amazing crowds of all crowds ever! filled the arena with a sound that I'll never feel again. It surrounded me from the inside out.

Mike, oh Mike. You have my heart forever. House lights on, National Anthem. A bittersweet ending in the nation's capital that brought me to tears (yes I'm a chick, duh). You make me believe that there really is hope and remind me that I do love my country no matter what, because I love the people who live here with me.

Top that. Can't. Won't. Never will. Thank you to the band and everyone who was there.
    Post edited by freshymad on
  • Options
    VinceVince Posts: 174
    Awesome show!! Sadly it will be my last show for this tour. The people in front and to my side were really cool. Sec. 112.

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists were really good. They are definitely a band that would rock out in a small club.

Also I liked the wrist band for the posters. Great idea!! In the past I had to manage the poster throughout the entire show which was a pain in the ass.

My favorites from the show were I Got ID, DTE, Hail Hail, Crazy Mary and All Along the Watch Tower.

This weekend I'll be at the Hold Steady show in Baltimore. It's nice to mix it up.

Vince

ps

Some 10C members are pompous pricks and ungrateful. I noticed people at the will call window whining. These folks should have their membership revoked.
    “Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.”
  • Options
    comebackwomancomebackwoman Posts: 7,271
    This was an AMAZING show! My favorite of the tour so far. We were on the fence about going to Hartford...but this show sealed the deal. I HAVE to see them again! I've been really wanting to hear Sad, Come Back and In My Tree - so I was really excited to get 2 of the 3. I Got Shit was a highlight too - and Watchtower!!! - incredible. The energy of the crowd made this show really something special.

*edit* forgot about I'm Open! I was going crazy when I heard the opening notes. We are very lucky fans!
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • Options
    Hold On wrote:
    Umm. No acutally. Winning the LOTTERY got you those Tix. Rows 1, 2, 9 and 10 were done by lottery, so you won and didn't even realize it until now. Funny.

Umm. Well, clearly, I won the lottery. LMAO I'm not an idiot...just incredibly lucky and thankful to the 10c for even having a lottery in the first place.
  • Options
    yostaramayostarama Posts: 287
    I was there also. We kicked ass. Last night. I will always go to the Dc shows over Camden. DC ruled. Later Yostarama
  • Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492
    danavita wrote:
    Opening with Hard to Imagine was a brilliant choice. That song just invites the crowd in with its rare sensitivity. And the ice breaker was Evacuation. Who there didn't just crack up and realize they just shared a moment with not only the band, but every person there! Follow that up with a sing-along and we're practically family by then! I was feelin' SO good!

Two moments that stand out: Eddie during one song (sorry can't remember which, due to the blur sensation) off on stage left. Listening to the crowd sing, and I mean sing beautifully (we rocked!). His head back, looking up, arms outstretched and spinning slowly around in that open pose. If we were the rain, he was getting fuckin' drenched. Filling himself up with the love. I'll never forget that picture in my mind. He's not allowed to sing "If just once, I could feel love stare back at me" and mean it from now on! Second was Jake's face. Where was the fear? No fear, just a huge, innocent smile that I'm sure is still there right now. What a doll. Thanks so much Jake.

Black. I've played that song, I don't know, 500 times. That's the one song I'd take to the proverbial deserted island if I were left there to die. That experience with that song, 18 YEARS after they wrote it, was a miracle. The crowd, the most amazing crowds of all crowds ever! filled the arena with a sound that I'll never feel again. It surrounded me from the inside out.

Mike, oh Mike. You have my heart forever. House lights on, National Anthem. A bittersweet ending in the nation's capital that brought me to tears (yes I'm a chick, duh). You make me believe that there really is hope and remind me that I do love my country no matter what, because I love the people who live here with me.

Top that. Can't. Won't. Never will. Thank you to the band and everyone who was there.

i know exactly what you're talking about with eddie swaying and listening to the crowd! i'm pretty sure it was black, no? during a cigarette break when everyone was doing the "doot doot doo doo..."

and the sound that you'll never feel again... so true. i could cry i want to feel it so badly right now. once in a lifetime opportunity, glad i was there.
  • Options
    OffHeGoes132OffHeGoes132 Posts: 594
    This was without a doubt an AMAZING show. Me and my sis were floored after the show, we didn't want it to end, I mean it was probably one of the best if not the best show I've seen. Being a PJ fan since the early 90s, I never really had the opportunity to see them live and I felt ashamed of that! But I finally did last night and it exceeded my expectations. The positive reviews on this thread have summed up the experience well. I have a lot of work to do so I don't have time to do an elaborate review.

Afterward was a nightmare, got my vehicle towed to some ghetto area. I was scammed by a guy acting as an event staff member, had me park in a private area. Pretty stupid on my part, but it apparently happened to several other people as well. Can't trust anyone in these shithole cities. Regardless, I do NOT regret going to this show despite the nightmare that ensued afterwards.

Anywho, I'd just like sincerely thank Ed, Mike, Stone, Jeff, Matt, and BOOM for an incredible, unforgettable experience. The show was one of a lifetime. Thank you guys!! DON'T EVER STOP ROCKING!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    freshymadfreshymad Posts: 54
    You're right. I thought it was Black, cuz it went on FOREVER! Loved the cig/wine breaks!!! At one point I was singing the "doot doot doo doo . . . " Thought I was the only one til I stopped . . . and heard everyone else still singing . . .
  • Options
    jessykawjessykaw Posts: 29
    Great show. I loved the longer encores. They were shorter at Virginia Beach. Thrilled to hear Black. Crazy Mary was a treat too. Our section had a lot of energy. I guess it was because half of it was 10c members (sec 113). I got my ticket off of ebay. I can't complain about that at all. I loved when Evacuation stopped being played and Ed said, "Time to evacuate". Funny. I really dug that they played to the back of the crowd for Last Kiss. Shows that they are thinking about their fans.

BTW...when did they stop selling the light blue women's tour shirt? They had them at the VB concert, but we didn't get to buy one. I planned on getting it at this show and I had to get the white one.

pictures (some o.k., some not)
    http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j188/jessykaw/Pearl%20Jam%20DC/
    Charlotte: 10/4/96
    Virginia Beach: 6/17/08
    D.C.: 6/22/08
    D.C.: 8/17/08 (Vedder solo)
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,789
    Almost 24 hours later and I am still floored by this show. It's hard to describe how incredible it was. Thank you PJ for proving once again why you are the best band on the planet. Can't wait for the bootleg
  • Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    it was on par with camden 1 being at both. but definately smoked the limp dicked camden 2

I was only at Camden 2. DC made Camden 2 look like a kindergarten recital
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Options
    soulshinesoulshine Posts: 120
    I forgot to mention/ask: Does anyone else think they spotted Luke Russert on the side of the stage (Stone's side)? I swear there was a guy that looked JUST like him...

Yes! We spotted him walking that direction from Mikes side before the show started....
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need ~ BenHarper

http://www.myspace.com/soulshine70
  • Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    yostarama wrote:
    I was there also. We kicked ass. Last night. I will always go to the Dc shows over Camden. DC ruled. Later Yostarama

DC was just so much better than Camden. I live almost exactly 2 hours from Camden and DC. It took me almost an hour and a half to get out of the parking lot in Camden.... I was ALMOST HOME in that amount of time from DC. The experience was just so much better.

I'll still go to Camden to see Pearl Jam because i'm addicted but if i had a choice Camden would never be played again :)
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Options
    TheRealDanPatchTheRealDanPatch Posts: 1,854
    Best show of PJ's I have been to. Along the Watch Tower & Hard to Imagine were highlights for me. I can't wait until the boot comes out. 2009 Tour seems so far away now!
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • Options
    ProgFan511ProgFan511 Posts: 51
    Just ordered the D.C. bootleg along with the Bonaroo bootleg. I was sitting in section 112 row Q and totally loved the seats. Next time they tour ill make sure i hit up 3 to 4 shows.
    6/22/08 DC
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Sawyer wrote:
    Big shout out to my peeps in Section 3 last night....we were killin....I was the tall dude with military shorts and the red Vic shirt....and to the lady behind me whoasked if I could move so she could see....where the fuck did you want me to go....sorry....I drank alot of milk as a kid.

dont worry bro... i get it all the time too