What is proper fence etiquette with your neighbor?

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    so heres a story for you jeags....

maybe 3 weeks ago this guy comes to my gate(the junkyard dog had bailed him up so he couldnt actually enter the property. yeah for labs!!! theyre vicious. :lol: ) anyhoo... this guy proceeds to tell me that hell be replacing my northern property fence at the request of my neighbour. i ask when and he says oh monday or tuesday. thats in 4/5 days time. remember now that was around 3 weeks ago. so i get ahold of my ex who also happens to be the property owner and clu him in. he goes to the hardware store and buys a chainsaw cause we got some trees that need to be removed to make room for the new fence. were thinking we have 2/3 days tops to do this proceed to deforest the perimeter. we had to remove an entire section of the fence cause one of the plants had grown through the fence so much there was no choice. i thought itd be ok even with the dog cause hey! its only a day or 2. monday comes.. no fence guy. tuesday comes.. no fence guy. 2 weeks pass and last week we get a letter from the dept of housing informing us that their property(our neighbours) fence is delapidated and needs replacing. this will mean tearing down the old paling fence and putting up a 6 foot colourbond fence and itll cost us $1600. i saw hell no thats not the way it will be going down. so the ex calls the dept and finally the woman in charge returns the call 2 days later. she informed him that if we dont agree with the fence they want to erect then get 3 quotes and send them to the dept. then she informs the ex that she going away on holidays. so we laugh and think cool that means we got some extra time. i contact 2 fencing companies neither of whom decide its worth their while to return the call.

this morning i wake up to noise in the neighbours yard and go out the back to find a couple of blokes in the middle of dismantling the boundary fence. i ask if theyre replacing the fence today and one of them says yes. i tell him the story of the guy at the front gate and the dept of housing thing and resign myself to my fence being repalced without due notice.

then about an hour ago this guy comes to my front door and satrts talking to me and i realise its the guy from the front gate. i ask if hes with the guys currently tearing down my fence and he sayd yeah they work for me.

im thinking oh thats super fantastic.

its cool the fence is beggn replaced cause it needs it. but whats not cool is not being informed WHEN it will be replaced. consideration thats all i ask..
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I think it's rip up the concrete from your back patio, and when you build your fence make sure all that mess is left on the outside. Then, pretend like it's on their property. Least that's what my neighbor did.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    with the windows open, i feel like i can't poop without these neighbors hearing me out on their deck.

:x
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    with the windows open, i feel like i can't poop without these neighbors hearing me out on their deck.

:x

ahhhh....the joy of townhouse living. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    heres a different perspective on a "thing" My dog is a digger. Likes to get under the fence. Not really fucking up the fence , but the ground on either side of said fence has seen better days in spots. Now thi=e issue is our neighbors to the left have moved and are trying to sell their house. There are now three spots where cleo has dug a hole big enough to get her 60lb self through. What am I suppsed to do here other than put the dirt back and block her access to those areas?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    heres a different perspective on a "thing" My dog is a digger. Likes to get under the fence. Not really fucking up the fence , but the ground on either side of said fence has seen better days in spots. Now thi=e issue is our neighbors to the left have moved and are trying to sell their house. There are now three spots where cleo has dug a hole big enough to get her 60lb self through. What am I suppsed to do here other than put the dirt back and block her access to those areas?

i would think as long as you fill the holes, you've met your obligation right? what else can you? throw grass seed over the dirt or something?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    thinking of knocking down the deck and putting in a patio this spring. i'm thinking that will provide even more privacy from these dopes next door...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    thinking of knocking down the deck and putting in a patio this spring. i'm thinking that will provide even more privacy from these dopes next door...

i like the idea...i've seen some cool decks...maybe one with a grill or fire pit in it....that shit ain't cheap
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i like the idea...i've seen some cool decks...maybe one with a grill or fire pit in it....that shit ain't cheap

you mean patios?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    ahh yes...patios

menards had a few designs in the recent add that looked nice, but the material bill was like 2-4 grand with a fire pit or grill

ouch..

if you are just doing a basic patio, i'm sure it's a lot cheap..but still not cheap.

i'll stick with the deck for now.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    hang out at your local lowes or home depot...maybe you can be on this show
    Josh heads to Philadelphia to find the biggest Phillies fan, and with the help of MLB Network Analyst and former MLB player Mitch Williams, Josh transforms a boring basement into the ultimate Phillies Phan room. This crash starts off with demo. Josh and his crew remove a brick wall and replace it with a baseball bar outfitted with eight taps. Then, Josh installs a special elevator to haul kegs to and from the basement, and the backyard becomes the perfect spot to watch Phillies games with stadium seating, a big-screen projection television and a custom outdoor barbecue.
    http://www.diynetwork.com/house-crasher ... index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9J5pfMvNr8
    edited February 2012
    81 wrote:
    ahh yes...patios

menards had a few designs in the recent add that looked nice, but the material bill was like 2-4 grand with a fire pit or grill

ouch..

if you are just doing a basic patio, i'm sure it's a lot cheap..but still not cheap.

i'll stick with the deck for now.

well i'm not going all out like that. already have the grill. probably just a basic paver patio design. but i haven't even measured or priced anything out yet. my neighbors probably think i'm a weirdo though. i'll just stand out there with my arms crossed and stare at the deck thinking about what it would look like as a patio. :lol:

figure it's gotta be under 2 grand though
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    norm wrote:
    Josh heads to Philadelphia to find the biggest Phillies fan, and with the help of MLB Network Analyst and former MLB player Mitch Williams, Josh transforms a boring basement into the ultimate Phillies Phan room. This crash starts off with demo. Josh and his crew remove a brick wall and replace it with a baseball bar outfitted with eight taps. Then, Josh installs a special elevator to haul kegs to and from the basement, and the backyard becomes the perfect spot to watch Phillies games with stadium seating, a big-screen projection television and a custom outdoor barbecue.

ha...imalive recently posted about a chick on this show who was wearing a pearl jam shirt
    chinese-happy.jpg
    norm wrote:

i hear in the episode where the check in on former "contestants" it's revealed the philly fan puked over his fence on somebody. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    figure it's gotta be under 2 grand though

if you go basic...

material list for this one is just over 1k

1983301.jpg

this set up is 2600 for parts

1983371.jpg

i wouldn't mind something like this set up....1500 for parts...i wouldn't need the path so it would be a little less...but still a chuck of change.

1980055.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    dude all of those are awesome. i just need something like the first one...and really only about a quarter to a 3rd of the size of that one.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    norm wrote:

I saw that one....they used the same obnoxious Philly carpenters I had seen on a previous episode. :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    This one is cheap.
    1980055.jpg

get a concrete form for like $30

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQce7juKgWzcQ2bTW_2A84RLavWo6NwxnqtCQlY-N7lMY9Kbc-5Q

get a bunch of Quickrete on sale for $1 a bag

rip out grass, grade the dirt, mix stuff, and pour into mold. tah-dah

my buddy did a patio like this:
    1983301.jpg

for free...construction sites are ALWAYS tossing out useable pavers.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    i can't see myself driving around asking for unused pavers

craigslist has some...90 sq ft for $150

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/grd/2856449350.html

i wonder what a pallet weighs? 2500 lbs by guesstimate...that can't be for the suspension. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i wonder what a pallet weighs? 2500 lbs by guesstimate...that can't be for the suspension. :lol:

rent a work truck...you got a united rentals out there?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

rent a work truck...you got a united rentals out there?

when you own a truck, you don't rent a truck. :lol:

you either sag the suspension and hope nothing breaks, or you make multiple trips. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

you either sag the suspension and hope nothing breaks, or you make multiple trips. :lol:

I predict 81 making about 5 trips with his little 'light duty' truck... :lol:

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

I predict 81 making about 5 trips with his little 'light duty' truck... :lol:

assuming 2500 lbs per pallet, and two pallets....it'd 4 trips...and a lot of back breaking labor. :lol:

don't hating the truck.....without the truck, we no have a proper tailgate at alpine ;)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    bricks are nice. someone somewhere is giving away brick or selling it cheap. go where the city is knocking down old schools. schools are always being knocked down. one can acquire the brick. also old nice rail road ties make for good landscaping material. i have heard that the black creosote shit on the r.r. ties is something your garden may not enjoy. creosote treated r.r. ties in jeaglers back yard, yes/no?

http://waterquality.montana.edu/docs/wq ... aq_3.shtml

Railroad Ties, From the Track to the Backyard:

Railroad ties are manufactured and treated with creosote to stand up to weathering and the pressure under rail lines. Ties might last for 25 to 50 years on the track before they are recycled to different uses based on their condition. Some of these ties find their way into the landscaping business and into people’s backyards as retaining walls and borders for flowerbeds.

Precautions with Railroad Ties in Landscaping:

Knowing the potential health risks of creosote, homeowners considering landscaping with railroad ties should consider the following safety measures.

Handling:

When handling creosote treated wood, wear gloves and long sleeves and try to minimize time spent working with ties. Work in well ventilated areas and avoid working in hot conditions when vapors are most potent.

Children:

If children play on or around the ties they may get creosote on their skin and clothing and could subsequently ingest small amounts. Exposure to skin can cause irritation and rashes. Ingestion in small amounts while not life threatening, is a health concern.

Gardens:

Plants have shown only limited potential to take up creosote but some compounds have been shown to attach to roots, which could lead to elevated creosote levels on tuber vegetables. For this reason, it is advisable not to landscape with railroad ties directly in contact with vegetable gardens.

Water Table:

Some components of creosote are very sticky and not water soluble and will stay on the ties; however, other chemicals are water soluble and will dissolve and move with water. In areas where moisture levels are moderate, these chemicals may wash into surrounding soil with rain, but will likely decompose with time. However, in areas where the water table is very shallow or where a lot of surface water is present, there is more potential for transport of the chemicals into groundwater. For this reason, it is advisable to avoid using railroad ties for landscaping in very wet or shallow ground water areas.

Disposal and Fire:

Creosote treated wood should not be burned, since burning volatilizes hazardous chemicals in the smoke. One currently suggested disposal method for treated wood is in sanitary landfills. However, check with your landfill first to inquire about local policies. Another currently suggested method for disposal is burial. However, if this option is chosen it is critical to consider surface and ground water movement in your location to minimize the possibility of creosote getting into water supplies.

you are very welcome,
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    i woudl not use railroad ties. :?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mickeyrat wrote:

I have a digger too.... You could try putting a large paver or block down in the hole before you fill em to block those spaces.

Mine was digging under our deck for a mole or chipmunk and this stopped her.
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    81 wrote:
    retaining wall?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    81 wrote:

who the hell's house is in the sample picture?!?!? a Dolphin's player? :lol:

those are cool...better than the weenie solar LEDs

- Christopher McCandless
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    chadwick wrote:
    81 wrote:
    retaining wall?

not really...unless you plan to replace it in about 20 years...it's wood and will rot