The National Football League

Comments

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    g under p wrote:
    I don't think anyone has had the Super Bowl played in their home stadium before. The closest, I think, was the 49ers in Palo Alto for SB XIX.

Here are the current odds for 2013.

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c191034 ... s/SB98.jpg

I can't wait for SB 59.... LIX

peace

the rams - steelers sb was played at the rose bowl which only 16 miles from the coliseum
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Jason P wrote:
    why did the coach and gm get fired? why are they dismantling the whole team? if this years colts team was on par with the '10 team, these guys wouldn't have lost their jobs and they would be talking about making some more runs with peyton and trading down from the first pick to get more pieces to reload, not rebuild. i really disagree with you. i did not think any aspect of that colts team was particularly good this year.
    That argument actually works in favor of Dewie. The 2011 team was almost exactly the same as the 2010 team. One key ingredient missing exposed the weakness of all and everyone.

right but come on...the 2010 version of the colts were already headed down hill and lost in the wildcard round...at home.

and just glancing at pro football reference, they were 0-5 against playoff teams too. in my opinion, they would have barely made it to 8 wins with peyton manning this year. so i guess that means he's good for 5-6 wins. the year before brady got hurt they went 16-0....11-5 without him in '08. so it's about the same difference. throw in all the post season heroics with less offensive talent and the edge goes to thomas brady.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    right but come on...the 2010 version of the colts were already headed down hill and lost in the wildcard round...at home.

and just glancing at pro football reference, they were 0-5 against playoff teams too. in my opinion, they would have barely made it to 8 wins with peyton manning this year. so i guess that means he's good for 5-6 wins. the year before brady got hurt they went 16-0....11-5 without him in '08. so it's about the same difference. throw in all the post season heroics with less offensive talent and the edge goes to thomas brady.
    Eight wins isn't pretty damn bad considering how the season went. And if they went to eight wins, the whole "andrew luck" topic would not even exist right now.

Point being ... if Manning didn't have a neck injury, we would not even be discussing this. The Colts would have made the playoffs (go fuck yourselves, broncos) and the team would be resetting themselves for another playoff run in 2012.

If Manning didn't exist, we would not even be having this conversation right now. The topic would be "What do the L.A. Colts do with the #1 pick."

If Brady never existed, do you think New England would be fretting over their franchise leaving town? For reality, if Manning never existed, I would probably would not give a flying flick about the NFL because they would not exist in Indiana.

If you are looking at ways to address the significance of a single player ... Manning wins hands down.
  • jimed14 wrote:
    so if the pats win and brady plays well..........is he the best ever? i think i am still leaning towards montana but a case can absolutley be made for both.

One case against Brady in debates about him vs. Montana is the margin of victory in Super Bowls wins. Brady's three Super Bowl wins were each by 3 points. And while there's nothing wrong with that at all, in a true "Brady vs. Montana" argument, I think it's worth noting how The 49ers dominated very good Miami and Denver teams in the Super Bowl. And the first win over Cincinnati (26-21) wasn't as close as the final score suggests. As for the second one against Cincinnati in 1988, Montana's game winning drive in that one easily trumps Brady's FG drives against St. Louis and Carolina. I'm nit-picking here. But ya kind of have to in order to compare QBs from totally different eras.

Montana had Jerry Rice, John Taylor and Roger Craig.

When Brady won his superbowls he had Troy Brown, David Patten, Antowain Smith.

Food for thought.

Cases can be made for and against, the thing is, there is no right answer.

yeah that's totally worth noting. but let's not forget that Brady didn't exactly have slouches on defense either during the Super Bowl winning years. Their D was actually reminiscent of the early 70's Dolphins "No-name defense" in that it was dominant as a unit, but no one player stood out....

Which leads to an interesting Hall Of Fame argument concerning the early 2000's Patiots. They won 3 in 4 years, so obviously they need more hall of famers than just Brady and Belichick. The offensive guys you mentioned have no chance of making it. But will the likes of Ty Law, Tedy Bruschi, Richard Seymour, and others suffer the fate of the most of the 1972 Dolphins defense? Only their middle linebacker Nick Buoniconti is enshrined but the defense ranked in the top 6 in scoring defense from 1970-1975 and #1 in their 1972 and 1973 championship years. So which Pats besides Brady will make the Hall?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Vrabel?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    81 wrote:
    Vrabel?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKmVyaL9Anh908EUIwv9o9M5Z5EkBKT5liiDWO8dym5PyWFAMMrA
    Perry?
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    So which Pats besides Brady will make the Hall?

Vinitieri for the high profile kicks he's made.

I would say Rodney Harrison has a slim chance, he was on the last 2 superbowl teams and the 16-0 / 18-1 team. only two probowls, but, as stupid as it sounds, the broadcasting will probably help.

Wilfork has a shot, he was on the last Superbowl team.

But I would say no to Ty Law, Seymour and Bruschi
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Was terry glenn on any of those teams
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

He was on the first superbowl team but was only active for 4 or 5 games, I think Belichick suspended him for behavior detrimental to the team and he was gone the next year.

I do believe Glenn is the answer to the trivia question, "Who caught Tom Brady's first ever touchdown pass?" ... a pretty insane catch against the Chargers I remember somewhat vividly.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Gut reaction, I think Seymour has the best chance of any of those names mentioned.
  • jimed14 wrote:
    81 wrote:

He was on the first superbowl team but was only active for 4 or 5 games, I think Belichick suspended him for behavior detrimental to the team and he was gone the next year.

I do believe Glenn is the answer to the trivia question, "Who caught Tom Brady's first ever touchdown pass?" ... a pretty insane catch against the Chargers I remember somewhat vividly.
    She?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • jimed14 wrote:
    So which Pats besides Brady will make the Hall?

Vinitieri for the high profile kicks he's made.

I would say Rodney Harrison has a slim chance, he was on the last 2 superbowl teams and the 16-0 / 18-1 team. only two probowls, but, as stupid as it sounds, the broadcasting will probably help.

Wilfork has a shot, he was on the last Superbowl team.

But I would say no to Ty Law, Seymour and Bruschi

Maybe Ty Law. 5 Pro-Bowls, on the all-decade team, huge pick-6 in the first Super Bowl, 3 picks of Manning in one game in the AFC title game. I think he has as good a shot as any of those Pats. And Seymour is a 7-time pro-bowler and first string (with Sapp) on the all-decade team. He has a fine shot.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Jason P wrote:

Eight wins isn't pretty damn bad considering how the season went. And if they went to eight wins, the whole "andrew luck" topic would not even exist right now.

Point being ... if Manning didn't have a neck injury, we would not even be discussing this. The Colts would have made the playoffs (go fuck yourselves, broncos) and the team would be resetting themselves for another playoff run in 2012.

If Manning didn't exist, we would not even be having this conversation right now. The topic would be "What do the L.A. Colts do with the #1 pick."

If Brady never existed, do you think New England would be fretting over their franchise leaving town? For reality, if Manning never existed, I would probably would not give a flying flick about the NFL because they would not exist in Indiana.

If you are looking at ways to address the significance of a single player ... Manning wins hands down.

well....if brady never existed they wouldn't have won 3 super bowls and wouldn't be playing in their 5th with him as their qb in a couple days. that is pretty significant ;)

it's an interesting argument though. i see your side. i just disagree with it.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    peyton to miami next year?

:think: :think: :think:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    1 more day
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    1 more day

feeling confident cliff?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    1 more day

feeling confident cliff?

I was really confident. Now nervous. Too much time to think about it. I think they'll win but not as much as I did a week or so ago.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    1 more day

feeling confident cliff?

I was really confident. Now nervous. Too much time to think about it. I think they'll win but not as much as I did a week or so ago.

Opposite for me I think...I'm getting more and more confident as we go along here. I think the Patriots will start out slow but gain confidence as the game moves along. a win by 17 points by the Patriots.

BTW why the hell are the Patriots favored in this game is it to drive all the betting towards the Giants in Vegas?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    peyton to miami next year?

:think: :think: :think:

or Washington :problem:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    So sad but it's part of the playing in the NFL...

Lew Bush, a LB for the 1994 Chargers, passed away at age 42.

Remarkably, and sadly, enough, he is the SEVENTH member of the 1994 Chargers Super Bowl squad to die.
    Lew Bush was a linebacker on the 1994 San Diego Chargers, the only team in franchise history to play in the Super Bowl. On Thursday, six days after his 42nd birthday, he died of an apparent heart attack, the San Diego Union-Tribune reports.

Bush is the seventh member of that team to die before the age of 45, and the second this year after defensive lineman Shawn Lee passed away in February of cardiac arrest after a long bout with diabetes. He was 44.

The others to die prematurely include David Griggs, who was killed in a car accident in June 1995 (he was 28); running back Rodney Culver died when his plane crashed in the Florida Everglades (he was 26); Doug Miller died when he was twice struck by lightning in 1998 (he was 28); Curtis Whitley died of a drug overdose in 2008 (he was 39), and Chris Mims died of an enlarged heart that same year (he was 38).

Bush was selected in the fourth round of the 1993 draft out of Washington State. (He was in the same draft class as Doug Miller, who was a seventh-rounder.) He played seven season for the Chargers and had 201 tackles, three sacks and an interception. He spent the final three years of his career with the Chiefs before retiring after the 2002 season.

3 accidents (that reeks of bad luck) and one overdose, but also three from disease... :rip:

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    BTW why the hell are the Patriots favored in this game is it to drive all the betting towards the Giants in Vegas?

From everything I'm hearing ... Vegas is pulling for the Patriots ... trust me.

First, there is this ... http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/sport ... s-win.html

So many folks took out futures bets on the Giants to win the superbowl, just because they are popular. It got as high as 80-1 at one point during the season and was still at 30-1 entering the playoffs.

Also, the line started at Patriots by 3.5 and with the heavy betting, the line has moved to 3 ... they can't move it to 2.5 ... because what happens in the Pats win by three, they lose all the heavy Giants +3.5 bets which caused the line to move to 3 and all the Pats -2.5 bets ... all the bets at 3 would be a push, they'd get killed. So, there is a lot of money invested in the Giants for this game as well.

I mean honestly ... is anyone taking the Patriots to win this game other than Patriots fans?

I would say at least 80-90% of the pundits I've watched are taking the Giants to win outright.

Vegas' favorite is the clear underdog amongst the public ... I hope Vegas knows what they are doing.

jimed14 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

From everything I'm hearing ... Vegas is pulling for the Patriots ... trust me.

First, there is this ... http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/sport ... s-win.html

So many folks took out futures bets on the Giants to win the superbowl, just because they are popular. It got as high as 80-1 at one point during the season and was still at 30-1 entering the playoffs.

Also, the line started at Patriots by 3.5 and with the heavy betting, the line has moved to 3 ... they can't move it to 2.5 ... because what happens in the Pats win by three, they lose all the heavy Giants +3.5 bets which caused the line to move to 3 and all the Pats -2.5 bets ... all the bets at 3 would be a push, they'd get killed. So, there is a lot of money invested in the Giants for this game as well.

I mean honestly ... is anyone taking the Patriots to win this game other than Patriots fans?

I would say at least 80-90% of the pundits I've watched are taking the Giants to win outright.

Vegas' favorite is the clear underdog amongst the public ... I hope Vegas knows what they are doing.

Thanks for the info very precise and to the point. Yes you would be right that Patriot fans are mainly the ones picking them to win like I am.

41-24 it's been sometime since we've had a onsided game and one is coming for sure.

Peace

i think the smart money (ie: the juggler's) will be on the pats tomorrow.

;)
    chinese-happy.jpg
    About to hop on Amtrak and head up to Albany. Hopefully in just under 36 hours, we'll see this again.

EliLombardiTrophy.jpg

BIG BLUE, BIG BLUE, BIG FUCKING BLUE

Later bitches.
    Yes, I *know* that the Patriots already have their Championship website designed ... but at least they weren't stupid enough to let it go live ...

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/02/04/w ... champions/

The last time the Pats were in a superbowl with a team this (over)confident, they beat the Rams.

Not that he needs motivation to win the superbowl, but through the years, there is one guy who DOES get extra fired up for this kind of shit ....

brady.jpg

LET'S GO PATS!!!

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    About to hop on Amtrak and head up to Albany. Hopefully in just under 36 hours, we'll see this again.

EliLombardiTrophy.jpg

BIG BLUE, BIG BLUE, BIG FUCKING BLUE

Later bitches.

Why the fuck would you be coming to Smalbany?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    jimed14 wrote:
    Yes, I *know* that the Patriots already have their Championship website designed ... but at least they weren't stupid enough to let it go live ...

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/02/04/w ... champions/

The last time the Pats were in a superbowl with a team this (over)confident, they beat the Rams.

Not that he needs motivation to win the superbowl, but through the years, there is one guy who DOES get extra fired up for this kind of shit ....

brady.jpg

LET'S GO PATS!!!

I doubt they have video of all the Giants' 3rd down plays.
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    i think the smart money (ie: the juggler's) will be on the pats tomorrow.

;)

Likewise. I can't see the Pats losing three straight to the gmen.

PATRIOTS, 38-24 ;)
    guess there's no point in playing the game now

http://mashable.com/2012/02/04/giants-w ... ner-error/