Disney Vacations

Comments

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    I love road trips, but never done one with that many kids. But if you say they are good in the car, I'd say do it, as long as you don't have to stop and pick up Aunt Edna along the way. ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    81 wrote:
    vduboise wrote:
    If you've never done it before, I say drive. It will be a nice adventure. It will totally wear on you- driving and paying attention to the kids, but it definitely helps when you are not the only one driving. Also you are not limited on what you can bring, except for how much space you have in the car.

I did a drive to New Orleans last year from NYC, just me and my 2 year old. Driving down was a breeze, left early both days and stayed over one night and a arrived around 1 in the afternoon. But, driving back, I found to be a lot harder. Just facing 20 hrs of driving was a bit daunting. ( and on the return I had my Hub with me)

I did it once, I know what it feels like- so the next time, I'll spend the extra money and fly.

we have done chicagoland to charleston and chicagoland to savanah....it's very rythmatic...take her car, tank holds about 300 miles of gas....so we stop every 4 hours or so, gas up, get a snack if needed and switch postions. nothing too it.

we got a 335d last year, and it was amazing on the diesel. Filled up twice on the drive up and again on the drive back. If it was my car, maybe 4 tanks both ways.

I did stop every 4 hrs or so too- and that helped going down. But back up, we left late both days (hub is not an early riser)- so it made the trip extra longer.
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Just booked a family trip to Orlando. The wife and I are torn on spending the extra 1000+ for flight or do we Do the Griswold style trip and drive 1200 miles over two days. We have 7, 5 and 2 year olds. We.ve got a Antarctic Blue Super Sportswagon from Lou Glutz Motors.

I have a Honda Odyssey from Bob Rooooooooohrman Honda and did the trip from Chicago a few years ago. I think it was only 9 hundred or so miles but it was great. I would suggest renting a crib in that area. You can find them for dirt cheap these days by disney.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Bob Rooooooooohrman

:lol:

we were in the sheffield grill a couple of years ago for out company outting....when he stopped in to make a phone call. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    81 wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Bob Rooooooooohrman

we were in the sheffield grill a couple of years ago for out company outting....when he stopped in to make a phone call. :lol:

Guy is chicagoland legend..dominates autosales. I think his sons took over. Classic old school commercials. Up there with chicago auto wreckers.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • TIme is money...you'll still have to eat, fill up the car with gas, probably get a hotel and this is there and back. You might come out ahead by driving but after 4 days on the road vs. 4 hours in the air, is saving a few dollars worth it?
    Just booked a family trip to Orlando. The wife and I are torn on spending the extra 1000+ for flight or do we Do the Griswold style trip and drive 1200 miles over two days. We have 7, 5 and 2 year olds. We.ve got a Antarctic Blue Super Sportswagon from Lou Glutz Motors.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Bob Rooooooooohrman Honda.

Thanks now I'm here watching Bob Rohrman videos on youtube. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QX0ekXWPjI
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    We have 7, 5 and 2 year olds.
    no wonder you're drinking a guinness in your avatar :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    DS1119 wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:

#getalife
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    How much are you going to save by driving?

You probably will have to spend about $400-$500 on gas round trip, and at least another $200 for a hotel room each way.
    Are you gonna need the car while down there? You're staying at Disney so unless you plan to leave the Mouse compound, they provide transportation.

Fly Jet Blue...each kid can have their own TV screen on the plane. (Although Orlando Airport security check was a nightmare with my 1 kid, I can't imagine going through with 3 little ones, at least they can keep their shows on now)
    This weekend we rock Portland
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:

#getalife

I'm in the car business. What do you expect? Have you ever seen this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXRaboSo70A
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I'd drive...half the fun is the road trip! I remember taking road trips all the time as a kid and I definitely plan on doing the same to my kids (if I ever have any :? )

Either way, have fun!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Well I took two weeks off at the end of may and Our trip in Disney is 7 nights and 8 days so I'll have enough time before to gear up and wind down after the trip. The wife and I made a decision to watch out for 99$ Jet Blue deals in the coming months just in case.
    Well I took two weeks off at the end of may and Our trip in Disney is 7 nights and 8 days so I'll have enough time before to gear up and wind down after the trip. The wife and I made a decision to watch out for 99$ Jet Blue deals in the coming months just in case.

Where you staying?
    DS1119 wrote:

Where you staying?
    Inside the park at the Allstar Movie Resort.
    DS1119 wrote:

Where you staying?

So you won't need a car then. Seven days at Disney...that's awesome! :thumbup:
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Foxborough MA Posts: 1,075
    DS1119 wrote:

Where you staying?

was there last may. hot down there upper 90's 18 hours a day...hope you got the package to use the water park :)
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
    Got passes for 5 days so far. I know a couple of folks that work at ESPN and they get free hopper passes.

90 is nothing. I was in Scottsdale last June an it was 115
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Foxborough MA Posts: 1,075
    Got passes for 5 days so far. I know a couple of folks that work at ESPN and they get free hopper passes.

90 is nothing. I was in Scottsdale last June an it was 115
    well dry heat vs humid heat :) u live in ct so you can tell the difference...either way enjoy - i loved it there 8-)
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • Inside the park at the Allstar Movie Resort.

Did You get the Disney Dining Plan??

We are booking our Disney trip this weekend, and I still dont know if we will get the Dining Plan...

We were going to stay at one of the more expensive resort hotels(The Swan), then we decided to go with one of the cheaper value resort hotels (The Disney Music). Figure we will only be at the hotel to sleep and use the pool. The money we saved by not getting the more expensive hotel(saved $600), can be used on Fun!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

We are booking our Disney trip this weekend, and I still dont know if we will get the Dining Plan...

We were going to stay at one of the more expensive resort hotels(The Swan), then we decided to go with one of the cheaper value resort hotels (The Disney Music). Figure we will only be at the hotel to sleep and use the pool. The money we saved by not getting the more expensive hotel(saved $600), can be used on Fun!

We got the dining plan and it was well worth it. The only thing we didn't realize was that a bottled drink in the park counted as a snack so at the end of the week we drank a lot of powerade and water.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

We got the dining plan and it was well worth it. The only thing we didn't realize was that a bottled drink in the park counted as a snack so at the end of the week we drank a lot of powerade and water.
    Thanks. My wife got some email about the dining plan from Disney after we booked the trip and our agent was able to apply the coupon. Saved us about 700$
  • JK_Livin wrote:

We got the dining plan and it was well worth it. The only thing we didn't realize was that a bottled drink in the park counted as a snack so at the end of the week we drank a lot of powerade and water.[/quote]
    My problem with the dining plan?
    Is that I HAVE NO CHOICE but to book through Disney, in order to get the dining plan. Expedia does not offer me the choice to get the Dining plan. But Expedia is about $500 cheaper for hotel and air, than Disney. PLUS I dont want to be tied down to food all week, knowing I MUST use all my meal credits.

I have done Disney 4-5 times, but not in the last 10 years. The dining plan wasnt available when I did Disney.
    You a triple A member? We got a pretty good deal through them.
  • You a triple A member? We got a pretty good deal through them.
    I am real happy with the expedia price for air and hotel. REAL HAPPY!

Im just not sure if I will regret not getting the dining plan.

I realize it will save me money in the long run, but I really dont want to be tied down to 3 meals a day, and making sure to keep all my reservations. All of a sudden my Disney Vacation will be all about FOOD! Not that Food is a bad thing...hehehehe

The money I save using expedia, can go towards food.
  • You a triple A member? We got a pretty good deal through them.

I realize it will save me money in the long run, but I really dont want to be tied down to 3 meals a day, and making sure to keep all my reservations. All of a sudden my Disney Vacation will be all about FOOD! Not that Food is a bad thing...hehehehe

With a food plan you don't need a cooler full of sausages, not that you still have one.............. :oops:
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    You a triple A member? We got a pretty good deal through them.

With a food plan you don't need a cooler full of sausages, not that you still have one.............. :oops:

2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City

:lol::lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Ended up booking through Disney, mainly because we can use the payment plan.
    And we have decided to take advantage of the dining plan.

WOO HOOO!!!!!!!

I gotta go find my Mickey Ears!!!
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg