Disney Vacations

LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
edited September 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Just booked a family trip to Orlando. The wife and I are torn on spending the extra 1000+ for flight or do we Do the Griswold style trip and drive 1200 miles over two days. We have 7, 5 and 2 year olds. We.ve got a Antarctic Blue Super Sportswagon from Lou Glutz Motors.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Never been never will but love the Griswolds reference :D great film.However you get there have a great time ... Are we there yet? :crazy:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Foxborough MA Posts: 1,075
    its only worth driving if you are planning to see a site or 3 on the way down. the restaurant bill alone for your family for 3 days make it not worth it.
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Just booked a family trip to Orlando. The wife and I are torn on spending the extra 1000+ for flight or do we Do the Griswold style trip and drive 1200 miles over two days. We have 7, 5 and 2 year olds. We.ve got a Antarctic Blue Super Sportswagon from Lou Glutz Motors.

I would say fly if you're staying on the property. Drive if you're not because then you will have to rent a car anyhow.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    its only worth driving if you are planning to see a site or 3 on the way down. the restaurant bill alone for your family for 3 days make it not worth it.
    Good point The drive is 23 hours and we were thinking about leaving around their bed time and driving 12 hours (around Raleigh, NC) then driving 12 the next day. holiday rooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddd
  • We're taking the kids to Disney World this Summer as well and we are flying. We've made a couple 12 hour road trips over the last year so it's time to fly this time.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Im going on the 25th. Flying is the only way for me after we drove to Alpine from outside of Philly. Did u order thru disney? Airfare is included and with the free dining package this trip is/was to good to pass up.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Im going on the 25th. Flying is the only way for me after we drove to Alpine from outside of Philly. Did u order thru disney? Airfare is included and with the free dining package this trip is/was to good to pass up.
    We ordered through AAA and we're doing the quick meal plan. We checked the prices direct and AAA is giving us a pretty decent discount. We're staying in the park this year which is something we've never done before.
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

gotta eat regardless of driving or flying. ;)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    we've done 1K mile road trips in a single day...anouther 200 miles would be nothing...we typically leave around 6am for these trips

i vote drive
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
  • Fly
    Did you ever catch any shows at the Sting in New Britain or were you too young ?
    I saw Blue Oyster Cult, Dio, The Smithereens, the Tubes, and Black Sabbath (minus Ozzy ) with Motorhead opening. Then a nightcap at Molly Malones
    Fly
    Did you ever catch any shows at the Sting in New Britain or were you too young ?
    I saw Blue Oyster Cult, Dio, The Smithereens, the Tubes, and Black Sabbath (minus Ozzy ) with Motorhead opening. Then a nightcap at Molly Malones
    I didn't. Place was cool though. Blind melon, RATHM and I think green day played there when I was a kid (32 now)
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Foxborough MA Posts: 1,075
    81 wrote:

gotta eat regardless of driving or flying. ;)

i get that. but if u fly u eating at home on the cheap :)
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    81 wrote:
    we've done 1K mile road trips in a single day...anouther 200 miles would be nothing...we typically leave around 6am for these trips

i vote drive
    i've done it too... it's easy when you don't have kids
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    I always vote drive. I love a good roadtrip. It's the American way. :lol: the only question is how do the kids do in the car?
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Big ol Jet airliner
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i'm leaving Friday, Amtrak, our own room, but the trains not for everybody, how ever, you can drink the entire time. occasion cig breaks, very occasional.
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    I always vote drive. I love a good roadtrip. It's the American way. :lol: the only question is how do the kids do in the car?
    Kids are great in the car. That's why we are seriously considering it. Although a 3 1/2 hour flight does seem better than a 23 hour drive.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    DS1119 wrote:

I would say fly if you're staying on the property. Drive if you're not because then you will have to rent a car anyhow.
    This.....Disney will pick you up and take you back to the airport.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    My family did a roadtrip to Disney World from MN. It's one of the few vivid memories that I have from when I was 5.

A road trip is an epic adventure for a kid, they'll cherish it forever no matter how lame or uneventful it seems to you.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    My family did a roadtrip to Disney World from MN. It's one of the few vivid memories that I have from when I was 5.

A road trip is an epic adventure for a kid, they'll cherish it forever no matter how lame or uneventful it seems to you.

excellent point
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    We flew a few years ago and it was easy as pie. I just got too antsy in the weeks leading up to the flight down and and the day of the flight back, those 2 days wore me out worse than the rest of the week. Goin back in April and we're loadin up the Woody and drivin down from Illinois.

I feel sorry for anybody going to Disney World in the summer. Had a major blast but it was dangerously hot in June.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

booked universal orlando 2 days ago ..going in april

FLY FLY FLY...3 HOURS SIMPLE
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    It's Disney dude, take a fucking magic carpet or something.

magic-carpet-aladdin-2.jpg

Or at least Peter Pan your ass over there.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Drive. I've done it 3 times from Long Island. First time with a 2 and 4 year old, then with a 7, 5 and 3 year old, and last year with a 11, 9, 6 and 3 year old. First, as someone else said - it's a great memory for a kid. But, that's not even the reason to do it.

You can stop at Subways for lunch, etc. It doesn't need to be expensive. I once actually got down too fast and had to stop a half hour outside Disney b/c I didn't have the room booked there that night (expected to stop, but it only took me 17 hours - yes, 17 hours with a few stops). It flies.

I've done it both ways - leaving at 6 AM and leaving at 10 PM. Either way is fine. It's really what you are up for. Once you get past Washington DC, it's open sailing. So, time it based on getting past there before traffic hits.

If the kids have electronics (DS's?) and a movie, it is easy.

The trip back kind of sucks, but that is when to plan on stopping somewhere (Savannah, GA, Wasington DC, etc. Just not South Carolina unless you are going way off the highway) to break it up (just like the flight back sucks the most. Going back to real life always sucks).

Just have the kids packed well - if you leave at 6 AM - you get up early, have their breakfast waiting in their seats in the car. Pack the night before and have their books, in car games, whatever near by. Plus - the tunes are great. It gets the kids to listen to a lot of PJ (last year it was PJ Radio the whole way down with a few breaks for movies).

Plus, think about flying - an extra hour or 2 at the airport, dealing with your kids in the airport, then the plane. You can only pack so much (which I guess could be a good thing, but it also limits what you can bring home). I like flying, but this is an easy road trip.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Fly for sure...

Disney is an exciting overwhelming thrilling and exhausting adventure for child and adult
    alike.

treat yourself, fly ...
    after you budget the real savings on paper I think you'll be glad you did

Have a stupendous time!

We made great memories there in the mid to late 90's :D
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    If you've never done it before, I say drive. It will be a nice adventure. It will totally wear on you- driving and paying attention to the kids, but it definitely helps when you are not the only one driving. Also you are not limited on what you can bring, except for how much space you have in the car.

I did a drive to New Orleans last year from NYC, just me and my 2 year old. Driving down was a breeze, left early both days and stayed over one night and a arrived around 1 in the afternoon. But, driving back, I found to be a lot harder. Just facing 20 hrs of driving was a bit daunting. ( and on the return I had my Hub with me)

I did it once, I know what it feels like- so the next time, I'll spend the extra money and fly.
    vduboise wrote:
    If you've never done it before, I say drive. It will be a nice adventure. It will totally wear on you- driving and paying attention to the kids, but it definitely helps when you are not the only one driving. Also you are not limited on what you can bring, except for how much space you have in the car.

I did a drive to New Orleans last year from NYC, just me and my 2 year old. Driving down was a breeze, left early both days and stayed over one night and a arrived around 1 in the afternoon. But, driving back, I found to be a lot harder. Just facing 20 hrs of driving was a bit daunting. ( and on the return I had my Hub with me)

I did it once, I know what it feels like- so the next time, I'll spend the extra money and fly.

we have done chicagoland to charleston and chicagoland to savanah....it's very rythmatic...take her car, tank holds about 300 miles of gas....so we stop every 4 hours or so, gas up, get a snack if needed and switch postions. nothing too it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    did it both ways when kids were younger.

I would have to say, if you are not going to stop and see things on the way, then just fly. Long road trips with small kids can be a nightmare.

When we drove, we picked kids up from school and drove straight through, go there about noon the next day, it was brutal, but we had our car and packing was easier (except packed way too much) and not stuck with airline schedule. Driving home sucked.

Kids did great on the plane, we had more time for the vacation, spent less time travelling.
  • photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    It's Disney dude, take a fucking magic carpet or something.

magic-carpet-aladdin-2.jpg

Or at least Peter Pan your ass over there.
    :lol:
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."