Options

WE'RE LOSING EDDIE'S VOICE TO NEW THEATRICS AND CIGARETTES

Comments

• Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,390
    This place must've officially jumped the shark, as we're now discussing hand gestures.

I wish Ed would stop smoking, but I don't think it's had THAT much of an impact on his voice. He's approaching 50, so I imagine that would have something to do with his voice changing. That, and the fact that they've been touring for 21 years. His voice is bound to be a bit worn and torn.

I just got done watching last night's Bridge School webcast, and I don't think we have anything to worry about. Ed sounded fantastic to my ears. He sounded beautiful on Just Breathe, and he absolutely killed on Porch.

I definitely would never want Eddie to sound like he did in the 90s. Personally, I prefer him post-2000. Sure, he has lost a bit of power but from 2000-2006 his voice is untouchable in my opinion.

From 1990-1995, at live shows Ed only had ONE stellar year in my opinion...and that was 1994. He had control over his voice, he had the deepness and the power and every song sounded better than the records. 1991-1993 was hit and miss every night. In 1992 especially, Eddie sounded like ass for the most part.

In 1995 it sounded like he was purposely trying to shred his voice and ruin it, and in 1996 his voice took on a new quality. There was a delicacy to it, a fragility that sounded beautiful. Slightly higher pitched, he lost some of that deep raw baritone but it was a good thing. He no longer sounded forced.

1996-2000 was beautiful, an almost perfect mix of higher pitches and lower pitches.

Sure, the early 90s were totally nuts in terms of the energy but its all so much better now.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    KimbaKimba Posts: 54
    Also of note, Stone was spotted looking like he was talking to no one in particular in about 97% of his total screen time.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    "We were but stones, your light made us stars"
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Ya his voice is still nice sounding but he totally struggles with singing now.
  • Options
    Mamasan80Mamasan80 Posts: 298
    You guys are totally right! Ed is the first singer ever who's voice has gotten better from years and years of smoking! What a fool this OP was.

BTW - it never ceases to make me smile when posters on this board call a 46 year old man "Eddie", as if it was still 1992. Props to denial, I hear it's a hell of a drug.
  • Options
    Mamasan80Mamasan80 Posts: 298
    The Rock wrote:
    This place must've officially jumped the shark, as we're now discussing hand gestures.

I wish Ed would stop smoking, but I don't think it's had THAT much of an impact on his voice. He's approaching 50, so I imagine that would have something to do with his voice changing. That, and the fact that they've been touring for 21 years. His voice is bound to be a bit worn and torn.

I just got done watching last night's Bridge School webcast, and I don't think we have anything to worry about. Ed sounded fantastic to my ears. He sounded beautiful on Just Breathe, and he absolutely killed on Porch.

I definitely would never want Eddie to sound like he did in the 90s. Personally, I prefer him post-2000. Sure, he has lost a bit of power but from 2000-2006 his voice is untouchable in my opinion.

From 1990-1995, at live shows Ed only had ONE stellar year in my opinion...and that was 1994. He had control over his voice, he had the deepness and the power and every song sounded better than the records. 1991-1993 was hit and miss every night. In 1992 especially, Eddie sounded like ass for the most part.

In 1995 it sounded like he was purposely trying to shred his voice and ruin it, and in 1996 his voice took on a new quality. There was a delicacy to it, a fragility that sounded beautiful. Slightly higher pitched, he lost some of that deep raw baritone but it was a good thing. He no longer sounded forced.

1996-2000 was beautiful, an almost perfect mix of higher pitches and lower pitches.

Sure, the early 90s were totally nuts in terms of the energy but its all so much better now.

If you could contradict yourself more in your next ramble, that'd be super. So you wouldn't want Ed to sound like he did in the 90's, but 1994 was a STELLAR year, and from '96-2000 it was an "almost perfect mix."

Are you a lawyer by any chance?
  • Options
    dte421 wrote:
    BTW - it never ceases to make me smile when posters on this board call a 46 year old man "Eddie", as if it was still 1992. Props to denial, I hear it's a hell of a drug.

:lol::lol::lol: It's not "the posters" that call him anything... It's himself (why would everybody call him something different?!)... Or do you think he was against this?

6291.1685.Full.jpg
    ~Can't escape from the common rule
    If you hate something, don't you do it too...~
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    rockpants wrote:
    This inspired me to watch the Even Flow video and count all instances of "theatrics", voracious headbanging not included. My intensive, scientific study discovered 17 distinct motions. Also of note, Stone was spotted looking like he was talking to no one in particular in about 97% of his total screen time.

:D
    :D:D
  • Options
    ChadsStillAliveChadsStillAlive Indianapolis Posts: 450
    I never understand these comments. I've been making my way through the '00 European boots and his voice over the past 5 or 6 years DESTROYS what it sounded like back then. He sounded fantastic when I saw him in St. Louis in July, then great again at PJ20 and was breathtaking at the Bridge this past weekend...far better than his vocals on legendary shows like Soldier Field '95, or the entirety of the '98 and '00 tours.

Regarding his theatrics, I concede to earlier comments questioning when Ed (and the rest of the band) has *not* been theatrical.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    dte421 wrote:
    Should we call him Edward because he's so freaking old? (kidding about the age thing.. maybe 8-) )

BTW - it never ceases to make me smile when posters on this board call a 46 year old man "Ed" who's actual name (on albums) is Eddie, as if it were like they knew him personally...
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    dte421 wrote:
    You guys are totally right! Ed is the first singer ever who's voice has gotten better from years and years of smoking! What a fool this OP was.

The quality of his voice may not have improved with smoking, but his singing has improved imo, through a hell of a lot of practice. I don't know how anybody could watch the Water on the Road DVD, and not think that this is one of the best vocalists in the world - especially if you already profess to like Mr Vedder's singing.
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    I'm rather new to being a PJ fan (yeah, bit late to the party I know ;) ) and I had the pleasure of hearing Eddie sing live the first time at Bridge School this weekend...he sounded absolutely amazing. Probably the best vocalist I've ever seen/heard in concert.
    Also, I've been listening to all their albums a lot while driving around on my US trip, and to me it seems like his voice has gotten better over time..that might be just a matter of personal preference though.
  • Options
    I often find when I am criticizing others, it eventually leads me to the mirror. Can't we all start seeking more peace, love and ... you know ... :?:
    "An eye for an eye mearly creates a blind world" Thanks MG
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,390
    dte421 wrote:
    The Rock wrote:

If you could contradict yourself more in your next ramble, that'd be super. So you wouldn't want Ed to sound like he did in the 90's, but 1994 was a STELLAR year, and from '96-2000 it was an "almost perfect mix."

Are you a lawyer by any chance?

I'm not contradicting myself. 1994 WAS a stellar year. It was the best year he had in the early 90s. But I wouldn't want him to be like that now. 1996-2000 WAS almost perfect but it wasn't his best either.

It comes down to personal taste and I think his best year was 2006. He was nailing the older songs like Go, Animal, Do The Evolution etc. And he sounded beautiful on Release, Black etc. Hell, from what I've heard this year Eddie sounds great. I'll take 2006 or 2011 over any other year.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    dte421 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: It's not "the posters" that call him anything... It's himself (why would everybody call him something different?!)... Or do you think he was against this?

6291.1685.Full.jpg
    Thank you so much for pointing this out! I never understand why people have to be such smartasses all the time ya know? :roll:
    speaking as a child who shouldve have been a teen in the 90's
  • Options
    I just wish he'd quite 'Springsteening" his t-shirt sleeves

:lol::lol:

Even I shake my head at this....but to each their own. Too funny :lol:
  • Options
    I prefer he not smoke (as someone who has lost a loved one to lung cancer), but he knows the risks to his voice and health and he chooses to do so. Otherwise, I don't care what kind of theatrics he performs on stage. He's just feeling the music.
    I just wish he'd quite 'Springsteening" his t-shirt sleeves

Personally, I kind of like it. :twisted:
    Lizard wrote:
    wait...WHO's being theatrical?

:clap::lol: :thumbup:
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,069
    Hopefully the band doesn't start eating on stage, lest we have a dozen threads scrutinizing their diets.
  • Options
    Because I am a fairly recent fan (just celebrated my one year anniversary at Bridge this year!), I have been trying my best to listen to live shows from all different time periods. As much as I love the sound of Eddie's voice in the 90's and early '00's, I much prefer his singing today. When I saw him in Philly last June, the beauty of his singing brought tears to my eyes. And at Bridge this past October, I found myself thinking that it doesn't get any better than this!! :thumbup: :clap:
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    I could care less what Eddie does on stage, so to me that is irrelevant. The smoking has certainly affected his voice, but it is obviously out of line to judge him or whatever because of his choices. I would bet that he would love to stop, and he has even alluded to it in interviews and in songs. However, it is his choice and life. But...I think its way off to say his voice is " better" now than even a few years ago. Listen to the boots from the 2005 tour, only 6 years ago, especially Missoula, gorge and the Canadian shows. He could do any song at any point in the set, and it seemed easy. Nowadays, he seems to struggle and be out of breath on more songs than ever before. Certain nights he sounds like the Eddie of 2005 and before, but its clear he is not as consistent as he once was, that being said, I still think that no matter what he is one of the greatest rock singers and frontmen of all time!
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    he's always done so called theatrics. in fact im sure it unconscious on his part... its just the music coming out of him and his way of ecpressing it. i invite you to watch vids from 92, 93, 94... i can keep going. this is not a new thing. i fucking love it!

calling it crap is being a tad bit negative
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    First of all, if a grown adult wants to smoke cigarettes and drink wine...who the hell am I to tell them to stop; especially if I don't even know them personally. Personally, I can't imagine him sounding any better than he did during his 2008, 2009 and 2011 solo tours. I have been seeing the band live since their inception and I am not sure that a younger Eddie has the maturity in his voice to make some of the songs of the last three or four years possible. Maybe I am wrong, but the 10 or so solo performances I have seen have been spectacular.
    "You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Miss TerriMiss Terri Bucksport, ME USA Posts: 24
    My, my, my......such blasphemous chatter.......Mr. Vedder is truly a gift from God and I, personally, would drag myself over a mile of broken glass to hear him sing the alphabet.....so, let's just chill and enjoy the shows!
    Makes much more sense to live in the present tense....

Vedder-Boston 6/16/2011
    Pearl Jam~Worcester, MA 10/15/2013
    Pearl Jam~Fenway Park 8/07/2016
  • Options
    "I wish I'd put, these cigarettes away..."
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    Yarden wrote:
    i agree with you about the smokes. Singers should not smoke.
    nobody should smoke
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Unless he starts vogueing or doing the moonwalk, I'm pretty much all right with it.

And if he vogues / moonwalks well, I'm probably going to be all right with that, too.

But I absolutely, positively draw the line at the macarena.

ive seen him do both, actually :lol:
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    Well, I'm watching a bunch of a videos from these last few South American shows, and I have to say... Eddie sounds damn good right now.

Of course, I'm having to listen over the singing of these rabid Brazilian crowds - those audiences are amazing...
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
  • Options
    I'd prefer if the fans cut down on their theatrics. It's not a puppet show.
  • Options
    RB274157RB274157 Chicago Posts: 227
    u lost me at we
    Romy Bianchi
    'Your light made us stars'
    Argentina '05 '11 '13 '15 and the infamous '18 no-show
    Chile '13
    Wrigley '18

• Options
    Bwaahaaha .. Geez I love you guys...thanks for making this "negative" thread into something funny and enjoyable...I was kinda mad...at first..but ..after reading the replies...all I could do was lmao...
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    eddies the best front man any of us will ever see.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...