Options

WE'RE LOSING EDDIE'S VOICE TO NEW THEATRICS AND CIGARETTES

Comments

• Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Kimba wrote:
    Eddie is the best lead vocalist of any current band. Seriously. He's a craftsman. He CAN authentically Sing. Incomparable. Who else can do what he does?

Maynard James Keenan
  • Options
    KimbaKimba Posts: 54
    Maynard's been making wine (and documentaries about making wine) but have Tool or Perfect Circle even performed in the last 4 years?
    "We were but stones, your light made us stars"
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Kimba wrote:
    Maynard's been making wine (and documentaries about making wine) but have Tool or Perfect Circle even performed in the last 4 years?

Yes and yes
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    esacks23 wrote:
    not sure what's up with these new random, meaningless, and awkward hand motions that eddie's started doing over the last couple years, but it bugs!!! this crap of him raising his hand high or low depending on the note he's singing or rolling his arms backwards and forwards as if he's a drunk referee calling traveling is annoying. i wish he'd just sing the song even as close to the quality as he once did without all these extra, pointless theatrics. i feel like he's up there acting. he used to feel the music and react subconsciously, not it's all for show. it used to be all about the music and his voice. Now that his voice is hardly what it once was due to cigarettes and odd adopted singing styles(his creepy, raspy, whisper voice for example... just awful and doesn't sound good if you think it does, in case you're reading this ed... you'd think someone around you would tell you, but you'd also think they wouldn't have to), he relies on all this extracurricular theatric crap. don't get me wrong, it's fun to watch the guys run and jump around on stage, that's half the fun of one of their shows, but if ed sounds like crap in the process, it's all for nothing. maybe less stage antics, catch your breath, cut back on the smokes and remind us once again of the voice that brought us all here. just sing. and take my mind off of the money making machine that has become pearl jam. still, looking forward to the next tour and album. hopefully he won't preface every vowel with an H.

Eddie's voice is Limited Edition...

8-)
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    Eddie still sounds great live
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Maybe it is me,
    maybe it is that appreciation and love grow stronger over the years
    because damn!

Eddie sounds better each time I hear him! :D:clap:
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Kimba wrote:
    Eddie is the best lead vocalist of any current band. Seriously. He's a craftsman. He CAN authentically Sing. Incomparable. Who else can do what he does?

I do believe this actually - and it's the main reason I come to this forum.
    pandora wrote:
    Maybe it is me,
    maybe it is that appreciation and love grow stronger over the years
    because damn!

Eddie sounds better each time I hear him! :D:clap:

I am not one of those people who think Eddie's singing has deteriorated over time - sure he's never gonna be able to do all the operatics he used to, but personally I think he's a better singer. For me he's the best vocalist alive today, with Van Morrison a close second. Eddie's voice in his solo shows is world beating, it really is - I think his voice currently is not so suited to pounding out the Pearl Jam catalogue in the same way - and live he sings those songs with more of a punk edge these days - which still does it for me. I think the range of emotions he can conjure up with his singing - is as good as it ever was - some of the 2010 bootlegs - Cleveland, MSG - they're up their with Pearl Jam's best shows imo. Eddie is doing pretty good in my book.
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Crazy thread. As for the cigarettes, the guy is what nearly 47? While it may not be your choice to smoke, Ed chooses to smoke and that is his choice. Let's leave it at that.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    EV = ALWAYS on point.

Nuff said.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    Ed can do whatever he wants! And he doesn't really disappoint us.
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    Ya know, I have been a Pearl Jam fan for years! (I finally just joined now as I was finally able to get a credit card, lol) anyways, how many of us can say that Eddie goes out there every single show, and gives it his all? How many of us can say that Eddie is (in my opinion the best) one of the best vocalists out there today, and puts on one hell of a show? So, to me why is this topic even up or even in debate at all? (I respect our right to debate, however this overall topic seems a bit harsh)

The man is a beast. Eddie (and the band) have given us many amazing years, and we all have many amazing years yet to come from them! I believe they deserve the ut-most respect.

To me this whole topic seems a bit disrespectful. (We are all entitled to our opinion, and this is mine. Kudos to those who have actually stood up for Ed) As I know if I were in a big band and did my best every single show, only to hear some fans put me down regardless of how awesome I am I would be offended.

Leave Eddie be, he drinks, he smokes, and he sounds unbelievable!
    "I know I was born, I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • Options
    cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    I just wish he'd quite 'Springsteening" his t-shirt sleeves

Yeah, that is just not cool and something I never see anymore. Doesn't his model wife teach him anything about fashion and trends? :lol:

Anyway, I don't see the point to this thread. I am just fine with how Ed conducts his emotions on stage. He's still got it!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    Kimba wrote:

There are certainly better singers out there (Glen Hansard being one), but I prefer Eddie's vocals. What he does in Pearl Jam with songwriting, lyrics and vision is just amazing. I think PJ has somewhat lost their edge over the last few records though. The records are good, but lack some of the charm of Vitalogy, No Code and Yield (even Binaural).

I think the Foo Fighters really brought it with their last record and I hope PJ does the same with their next record.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Kimba wrote:

There are certainly better singers out there (Glen Hansard being one), but I prefer Eddie's vocals. What he does in Pearl Jam with songwriting, lyrics and vision is just amazing. I think PJ has somewhat lost their edge over the last few records though. The records are good, but lack some of the charm of Vitalogy, No Code and Yield (even Binaural).

I think the Foo Fighters really brought it with their last record and I hope PJ does the same with their next record.

The Foo Fighters have been making the same record for 10 years. As long as PJ doesn't make another Backspacer it'll surely be better than almost anything the Foo's have done. I don't think PJ needs to write an album where the only good songs are the "hits".
  • Options
    YardenYarden Posts: 820
    The hand thing is great - it's Eddie!
    but i do wish he wouldn't smoke. no. 1 reason for his health. no.2 his voice.
    but he still sounds great. not many singers sound like that at his age. again - it's Eddie!
  • Options
    esacks23 wrote:
    not sure what's up with these new random, meaningless, and awkward hand motions that eddie's started doing over the last couple years, but it bugs!!! this crap of him raising his hand high or low depending on the note he's singing or rolling his arms backwards and forwards as if he's a drunk referee calling traveling is annoying. i wish he'd just sing the song even as close to the quality as he once did without all these extra, pointless theatrics. i feel like he's up there acting. he used to feel the music and react subconsciously, not it's all for show. it used to be all about the music and his voice. Now that his voice is hardly what it once was due to cigarettes and odd adopted singing styles(his creepy, raspy, whisper voice for example... just awful and doesn't sound good if you think it does, in case you're reading this ed... you'd think someone around you would tell you, but you'd also think they wouldn't have to), he relies on all this extracurricular theatric crap. don't get me wrong, it's fun to watch the guys run and jump around on stage, that's half the fun of one of their shows, but if ed sounds like crap in the process, it's all for nothing. maybe less stage antics, catch your breath, cut back on the smokes and remind us once again of the voice that brought us all here. just sing. and take my mind off of the money making machine that has become pearl jam. still, looking forward to the next tour and album. hopefully he won't preface every vowel with an H.

dumb.
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
  • Options
    NC168476 wrote:
    Wow! I love when he does that with his hands. It shows how into the moment he his - his whole body involved in the music and lyrics. I don't think he uses his hands as a pitch guide! As for the smoking. Smoke em if you got em! Just makes him sound deeper, huskier, wearier, more travelled and more like an old blues man. I don't think we should want him to sound like one of the Bee Gees!

You know what's funny about this? Barry Gibb is a chain smoker... who'da thunk it?
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    tremors wrote:
    For me he's the best vocalist alive today, with Van Morrison a close second.

Agreed. Glad to see props to Van!
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    dasvidana wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    For me he's the best vocalist alive today, with Van Morrison a close second.

Agreed. Glad to see props to Van!

+1
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    Eddies voice isn't what it was in 1993. Its not as deep. Its different but still as good. I don't give a shit what he does with his hands. I think when he dances or makes hand motions is because he is truly feeling the music and that is a good thing because it shows that he still has a passion for the music and the band and that he still wants to do this. If he was just going up there and going through the motions then we would have a problem because it would show that he is losing his passion and it could be the end of the band(i don't think this will ever happen personally). The cigarettes i don't like because i think it will eventually kill him. I think he should stop for personal reasons but if he doesn't it is his choice and as fans we should be fine with it. KEEP ROCKING EV AND THE REST OF PJ
    New Jersey - Jun 01, 2006
    Philly - Oct 28, 2009
    Philly - Oct 31, 2009
    New Jersey - May 18, 2010
    NYC - May 21, 2010
    Brooklyn - October 18, 2013
    Brooklyn - October 19, 2013
    Hartford - October 25, 2013
  • Options
    rizzdaddyrizzdaddy Posts: 262
    I have Backspacer on Rockband, it's hard to sing alot of the songs I can see why he uses the hand motions it makes it easier to keep the beat and hit the notes.
    08-19-08 (Riverside Theater) Vedder(Solo) Milwaukee, WI
    07-02-11 (Orpheum Theatre) Vedder(Solo) Minneapolis, MN
  • Options
    This thread sucks. Go see some other bands, and see how they compare. 20 years in, a seriously diverse catalogue, and a crazy new setlist every night! This rant is bullshit, he deserves 100% respect, and trust me, all he feels is the music and the fans
  • Options
    He still sounds good after 20 years. In fact, at times he sounds better now than ever. Go back and listen to some of those shows from 1992 and his voice was so deep that I can see why people compared Scott Stapp to him.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Not sure about the theatrics (haven't been to enough shows the past 5 years to judge), but you are 100% correct about the voice/cigs, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. How many times have people here said "You're wrong, if anything his voice is BETTER than it used to be. He sings stronger than ever." They are obviously not musicians or vocalists. :roll:

Just listen to bootlegs from 2008 on and then 2000 or 2003... there is an obvious, huge difference. Ed always sounds out of breath, and yes, throwing an H sound into the middle or beginning of words, which I don't know if it's purposeful or he just can't do it any other way now. Red Mosquito is not a hard song to sing, but god it sure sounds like it is the past couple years... Not to mention all the half-step tune-downs they're doing now.

For anyone who says let him do what he wants, etc... there will not be a Pearl Jam in ten more years if he keeps it up. Maybe you would suggest Mike, Stone & Jeff start sparring with brick walls, punching with their left hand... :roll:
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    bsbplyr wrote:
    Eddies voice isn't what it was in 1993. Its not as deep. Its different but still as good. I don't give a shit what he does with his hands. I think when he dances or makes hand motions is because he is truly feeling the music and that is a good thing because it shows that he still has a passion for the music and the band and that he still wants to do this. If he was just going up there and going through the motions then we would have a problem because it would show that he is losing his passion and it could be the end of the band(i don't think this will ever happen personally). The cigarettes i don't like because i think it will eventually kill him. I think he should stop for personal reasons but if he doesn't it is his choice and as fans we should be fine with it. KEEP ROCKING EV AND THE REST OF PJ

Everything he said.
  • Options
    KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    I know that twenty-something Eddie sounded amazing, gave it is all, cried with emotion and raised the roof with his antics...but...I actually prefer him now...hearing him live, the voice is has a quality to it that went into my very soul. I don't feel Backspacer showcased his voice well, still love the album, but in general, I feel Ed is Ed NOW and I love hearing him live (haven't done much of that but hope to make up for lost time). Funnily enough seeing PJ20 in PBS yesterday actually solidified my feelings about old vs new Ed. I'd love to travel back in time and experience those early gigs just for the sheer joy of it, but I would rather see PJ now as they are...older, wiser, and totally themselves. I do get the give up the ciggs idea, however!
  • Options
    The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 539
    i think he should lay off the smokes. still amazes me how people on this site bash those who say that. the op is allowed an opinion just as much as you are.
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Mikee J wrote:
    :shock:

:shock: :shock:

what I want is more pantemime.

YEAH, and it would be nice to see him starting to roll his eyes back into his head like the good ole days.
    and more gyrations, where DID all the gyrating go, people?

And if he could only hang more from the rafters like a bat again, that would be really really great, BUT NOT FOR SHOW, just cause he's Ed,
    That's the only reason I would want him to do that.

I would also request that he try to spin around a little bit more from time to time,

OR...

YMCA more of the songs, please Ed.

Also if Ed could imitate Olivia Newton John just a little bit more, that would be so nice.

That would be perfect. But I would especially want him to do this because he wants to , not that I asked or anything, ya know.

Thank you, Ed, thank you.
  • Options
    Of course aging also plays a part in Eddie's singing but I agree 100% about the cigarettes negatively impacting the vocals. I really don't think that people who say his voice is the same (even better some say) as before are being honest. PJ is my favorite band, and I have my biases in my support for them, but open your eyes!! His range is seriously limited when it comes to hitting the high notes. Think 'The End," and 'Just Breathe.' I wish I could hear the old E sing those songs. They are masterpieces. That goes for many of the songs off the latest album, which if sung by old Eddy would probably come close to being as good as the stuff from the early 90's. Gonna See my friend=go, got some=save you. that said, I really think that Eddy has his good days and bad days. In the 2009 Pennsylvania 4 concert series, his voice sounds like 2000. And yet, just half a month before those dates he was on a pretty mediocre stretch.

Also, this isn't to say that PJ isn't allowed to make a few bad songs here and there, but OLE performance was pretty shameful.
    Mike
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    This inspired me to watch the Even Flow video and count all instances of "theatrics", voracious headbanging not included. My intensive, scientific study discovered 17 distinct motions. Also of note, Stone was spotted looking like he was talking to no one in particular in about 97% of his total screen time.

:D