Options

WE'RE LOSING EDDIE'S VOICE TO NEW THEATRICS AND CIGARETTES

esacks23esacks23 Posts: 69
edited November 2011 in Given To Fly (live)
not sure what's up with these new random, meaningless, and awkward hand motions that eddie's started doing over the last couple years, but it bugs!!! this crap of him raising his hand high or low depending on the note he's singing or rolling his arms backwards and forwards as if he's a drunk referee calling traveling is annoying. i wish he'd just sing the song even as close to the quality as he once did without all these extra, pointless theatrics. i feel like he's up there acting. he used to feel the music and react subconsciously, not it's all for show. it used to be all about the music and his voice. Now that his voice is hardly what it once was due to cigarettes and odd adopted singing styles(his creepy, raspy, whisper voice for example... just awful and doesn't sound good if you think it does, in case you're reading this ed... you'd think someone around you would tell you, but you'd also think they wouldn't have to), he relies on all this extracurricular theatric crap. don't get me wrong, it's fun to watch the guys run and jump around on stage, that's half the fun of one of their shows, but if ed sounds like crap in the process, it's all for nothing. maybe less stage antics, catch your breath, cut back on the smokes and remind us once again of the voice that brought us all here. just sing. and take my mind off of the money making machine that has become pearl jam. still, looking forward to the next tour and album. hopefully he won't preface every vowel with an H.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    YardenYarden Posts: 820
    i agree with you about the smokes. Singers should not smoke.
  • Options
    Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    :shock:
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • Options
    ahill721ahill721 Posts: 2,071
    Maybe those so called theatrics increase the fun for Ed. Could you imagine singing those songs night after nighter after night for 20 years. I would become bored of them, maybe even begin to resent them, so may those small little gestures increase the enjoyment of the show for Ed.

Just my thoughts, and hell, he can do whatever he wants up there for all I care.
  • Options
    ahill721ahill721 Posts: 2,071
    Yarden wrote:
    i agree with you about the smokes. Singers should not smoke.

I love that your avatar has Ed engaged in so called theatrics :D
  • Options
    Wow! I love when he does that with his hands. It shows how into the moment he his - his whole body involved in the music and lyrics. I don't think he uses his hands as a pitch guide! As for the smoking. Smoke em if you got em! Just makes him sound deeper, huskier, wearier, more travelled and more like an old blues man. I don't think we should want him to sound like one of the Bee Gees!
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    esacks23 wrote:
    not sure what's up with these new random, meaningless, and awkward hand motions that eddie's started doing over the last couple years, but it bugs!!! this crap of him raising his hand high or low depending on the note he's singing or rolling his arms backwards and forwards as if he's a drunk referee calling traveling is annoying. i wish he'd just sing the song even as close to the quality as he once did without all these extra, pointless theatrics. i feel like he's up there acting. he used to feel the music and react subconsciously, not it's all for show. it used to be all about the music and his voice. Now that his voice is hardly what it once was due to cigarettes and odd adopted singing styles(his creepy, raspy, whisper voice for example... just awful and doesn't sound good if you think it does, in case you're reading this ed... you'd think someone around you would tell you, but you'd also think they wouldn't have to), he relies on all this extracurricular theatric crap. don't get me wrong, it's fun to watch the guys run and jump around on stage, that's half the fun of one of their shows, but if ed sounds like crap in the process, it's all for nothing. maybe less stage antics, catch your breath, cut back on the smokes and remind us once again of the voice that brought us all here. just sing. and take my mind off of the money making machine that has become pearl jam. still, looking forward to the next tour and album. hopefully he won't preface every vowel with an H.

Well he's getting older too. You can't just blame it on smoking.
  • Options
    CorduroyGirlCorduroyGirl Posts: 283
    edited October 2011
    When has he NOT been theatrical??? LOOOL Seriously?? The moves might have changed a bit... The faces... But please, he has always done this, and I believe it's just the way he feels the music... It has changed? Oh... WEIRD... How does one's movements change in 20 years?! Do you still use the same gesticulation you did 20 years ago? I sure as hell don't...
    About his voice, it's awesome! Different yes, but beautiful... Even if he didn't smoke, you can't expect a 46-year-old man to sound the same as he did when he was 26 or even 36... It's called aging... Of course the fact that he smokes and drinks influences it but from there to not sounding good goes a looooong way....

I'm sorry if I was a bit agressive, but expecting people to be exactly the same for 20 years just makes no sense at all to me! Eddie rocks, as do all of them, and they're all pretty changed, only Eddie gives more of himself physically making it more obvious....
    Post edited by CorduroyGirl on
    ~Can't escape from the common rule
    If you hate something, don't you do it too...~
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I love how Eddie expresses the moment ... he is beautiful and so very mesmerizing :D
  • Options
    Hmmm... Well I was at the Montreal show and Eddie (and the band) sounded as good, if not better then I have ever heard them. Eddie enjoys running around and keeping lively, and I would say that most of us like seeing that (as it shows he is having some fun, that energy gets the crowd going). As far as theatrics go, I am not sure what you are talking about? (I know what you mean, I just don't see the problem)

I have been to too many live shows where bands just stand there and play, and it is boring as shit (and out of all the live bands I have seen, None of the vocalists can touch Eddie). I agree smoking is no good for anyone, but hey whatever floats Eddies boat.

"I know I was born, I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
    "I know I was born, I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • Options
    paysonitespaysonites The Rim Country Posts: 1,150
    edited October 2011
    esacks23 wrote:

I know this is your opinion and yes you're welcomed to voice it here but damn :shock: that's quite a bit of negativity for a beloved fan club website. I sort of understand your comment but not really. I saw him on his solo tour in California recently and at PJ20. I thought he sounded primo. I agree with the age thing and entertaining himself to get through the songs that he has sung 1000's of times.Wouldn't one have to. To put it in an a more appropriate manner for the viewers here. Instead of what words I would like to use. Lets hope that a sex organ heavily used for 23+ years could perform as well as Eddie's voice. I mean come on. This is a place where we enjoy and discuss everything that's positive with Pearl Jam. I just can't stand the Debbie Downer comments. What good is really going to come from this post. Even mine. I feel blessed to still hear new albums from this legendary band. My God most of the singers from the grunge era are either dead, used up or have lost their popularity. Eddie's voice is like a fine wine that continues to get better with age. Again that's my opinion. This band rocks period. If it weren't for there past few albums and PJ20 I don't think I could have made it. Life is really really tough right now and Pearl Jam's music is what gets me through. I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else but I'm just doing what needs to be done (wrong or right). STICKING UP FOR EDDIE.
    Post edited by paysonites on
    John and Shawna
  • Options
    paysonitespaysonites The Rim Country Posts: 1,150
    pandora wrote:
    I love how Eddie expresses the moment ... he is beautiful and so very mesmerizing :D

+10,000 :D
    John and Shawna
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    edited October 2011
    He's still feeling it man. I watch the youtube clips of recent years and I see Eddie standing in a tornado of whirling energy - soon he won't even need to open his mouth, and the Pearl Jam magic will still take effect.

( ;) )
    Post edited by tremors on
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    wait...WHO's being theatrical?
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Cigarettes ≠ Bad vocals. See Tom Waits . . . the man is a SAVAGE
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    Unless he starts vogueing or doing the moonwalk, I'm pretty much all right with it.

And if he vogues / moonwalks well, I'm probably going to be all right with that, too.

But I absolutely, positively draw the line at the macarena.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    We're gaining a new Eddie Vedder then?? I like it...
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    I just wish he'd quite 'Springsteening" his t-shirt sleeves
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    -Buru--Buru- Santa Barbara, CA Posts: 1,292
    Unless he starts vogueing or doing the moonwalk, I'm pretty much all right with it.

And if he vogues / moonwalks well, I'm probably going to be all right with that, too.

But I absolutely, positively draw the line at the macarena.

:lol::lol::lol:

oh god the macarena...
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

• Options
    wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
    don t smoke and sing like this......lol
    keep your hands at your sides.don t eat red meat.
    stop surfing you could get hurt lol
    blah blah blah
    ajb
  • Options
    While I do think that it's probably best that he stops smoking, it's for his own health not any of my selfish intrusive reasons. And as for the "theatrics", Eddie is a very kinetic person. Always has been. From the time he climbed the rafters to now when he jumps up and down moves his hands in various gestures. It's him expressing who he is. what's wrong with that. it's that energy that helps make pj shows so kickass ;)
    speaking as a child who shouldve have been a teen in the 90's
  • Options
    What other habits should our rock Gods stop doing?? Pete Townsend should stop windmilling his arm, right? Maybe Chris Cornell could bring it down a couple octives, right? Tom Morello should just play "normal" like everyone else, right? Brian Johnson's voice sounds too much like a paper shredder, right? These imperfect, perfections are why I love 'em. Keep doing what you do, Ed. And kill another bottle of wine while you're at it. See you Sunday at Bridgeschool and I'm looking forward to some crazy arm waving. :lol:
  • Options
    Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    Lizard wrote:
    wait...WHO's being theatrical?

:lol::clap:
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • Options
    PJ Ghost wrote:
    What other habits should our rock Gods stop doing?? Pete Townsend should stop windmilling his arm, right? Maybe Chris Cornell could bring it down a couple octives, right? Tom Morello should just play "normal" like everyone else, right? Brian Johnson's voice sounds too much like a paper shredder, right? These imperfect, perfections are why I love 'em. Keep doing what you do, Ed. And kill another bottle of wine while you're at it. See you Sunday at Bridgeschool and I'm looking forward to some crazy arm waving. :lol:

:clap::clap::clap::lol::lol::lol:

Loved this post!
    ~Can't escape from the common rule
    If you hate something, don't you do it too...~
  • Options
    i couldn't agree more. the hand gestures are annoying. they don't really influence the band's performance but i do find it irritating. as for the smokes, it's obvious that they have caused ed's voice to deteriorate. i can appreciate that he's not as young as he was and his voice has changed over the years, but the cigarettes haven't helped one bit. smoking is a killer and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.
    a wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw. delivered him wings, 'hey look at me now!'
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Honestly, if it doesn't impair his voice, I could care less what Eddie does with his hands during a show. I understand that smoking is bad for one's voice, and on one hand it almost feels like disrespecting a gift you were born with to be a vocalist who smokes, it's his life - not mine.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,935
    Theatrics are good for the back...
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I think slowing down some of the songs would help him keep up as much as anything. As for the rest of the complaints, I don't really have an issue how Ed rocks out. Though, I do have to agree on one instance of his hand gestures. When they played Mother on Fallon, on the last line, "Mother did you have to be so high" Just looked kinda lame to me.
  • Options
    How about we just let Eddie live his life and do what he wants?
    Grand Rapids 2006
    /Life changed

http://swagzillaswagzilla.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Tom Wilbur wrote:
    How about we just let Eddie live his life and do what he wants?

*DING*
  • Options
    KimbaKimba Posts: 54
    Eddie is the best lead vocalist of any current band. Seriously. He's a craftsman. He CAN authentically Sing. Incomparable. Who else can do what he does?
    "We were but stones, your light made us stars"