*** DC Fanviews Here 6/22/2008 ***

Comments

• FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    karenknits wrote:
    First and foremost I would like to thank the 10C for the phenomenal seats... front and center! I wanted to take my son to his first concert and I hoped it would be special. It doesn't get any better than that. Needless to say, I will never be able to top it.

There are not words I can say to thank Eddie, Mike, Stone, Jeff and Matt for inviting Jake up on stage to play during "Watchtower". Why he was picked, I may never know, but it was the experience of a lifetime.

Some people have been asking about Jake's story, so here it is:

Jake is 13 years old and has been playing guitar since January '08. He takes weekly guitar and voice lessons and plays in a group jam band each week. The current band name is Brain Freeze, but it changes frequently. He plays a Gibson Les Paul, but I'm sure he would have traded it for Eddie's Tele.

How he got up on stage:

Eddie leaned over during the show and asked Jake if he played and Jake said "yes". He asked if he was good and Jake said "yes". He doesn't lack confidence. Somewhere in the first encore, Eddie leaned down again and asked Jake to watch him. He played a few cords and asked Jake if he got it and Jake nodded yes. Then, at the beginning of "Watchtower", a guy came and pulled Jake out of the audience. Before I knew what was happening, Jake was up on stage.

Thru my tears I was able to get a few pix, but if anyone out there has any, please let me know.

After the show, we did get to go back stage with Eddie. (I did get a hug... a personal best moment for me!!) He was so gracious and kind to Jake; we will never forget that night.

Afterwards, I asked Jake if he was nervous up there on stage and he said he was a little before he went out, but the minute he got out there, he wasn't a bit nervous. He said, "I loved it out there and it felt great!" He had never played "Watchtower" before... pretty good for the first time. He does play a little "Yellow Ledbetter", his favorite PJ song.

Jake thanks you all for the great comments. We check the Message Pit and You Tube every few hours.

Regards,
    Jake's Mom

You definatley have a future rock star on your hands :)
    Here's a few pics for you guys . . .

P3290392.jpg

P3290399.jpg

P3290391.jpg

P3290390.jpg

P3290394.jpg

P3290393.jpg

Cheers!
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • freshymadfreshymad Posts: 54
    FoxyMHMama wrote:
    Danavita it was early. We were sitting on a bench when my son noticed an original MB shirt on the other guy first then saw Mike and yelled his name. They talked about guitars. He told him he started playing at six and his fav guitar is a 57 Les Paul Jr reissue he has which we then found out Mike's fav is a 59 Les Paul. We said we didn't know our seats. My son said his fav song was Evolution and the PJ songs he can play. Got an autograph and they were off. He was very nice. Hate to think it was a punk.

That explains it because I saw him in the evening, around 5pm . . . That's so cool that your son got to meet him. I was too shy to talk to him. I hate when that happens :-}
  • jrjmmcdjrjmmcd Posts: 1
    soulshine wrote:
    I was trying to figure out who he was myself. He came in right after we sat down and walked backstage with the fam. When they came out the kid had the setlist that I pointed out to the folks around me and they asked to see it, dad laughed and told him to hold on tight, he was very nice. Somebody behind me took a picture of it. I didn't look as I like the element of surprise!! I was thinking an athlete too, but hell, he coulda been somebody's brother or something! ;)
    I saw him too and he looked a lot like Mark Messier from the Rangers - now retired. Could be?
  • pjwingmanpjwingman Posts: 59
    I was lucky enough to be selected for the 1st row, never been there before. It was incredible!! We were a few people down from Jake and his mom, so that was fun to see that whole thing unfold. I sure would have been a lot more nervous than he appeared to be. The poster wristband thing worked out perfectly. So, thanks 10C for a great night!
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    pjwingman wrote:
    I was lucky enough to be selected for the 1st row, never been there before. It was incredible!! We were a few people down from Jake and his mom, so that was fun to see that whole thing unfold. I sure would have been a lot more nervous than he appeared to be. The poster wristband thing worked out perfectly. So, thanks 10C for a great night!

I missed out on a poster sadly :( but had a great night congrats on first row it was a great time for all.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    I just wanted you to know how cool this guy was.

I'll make this quick.

I sent in a favor asking anyone on here if they had 2 extra tickets for the DC show; i wanted to take my 13 year old daughter to her first show and missed my chance at getting my own tickets. I could not get them through ticketmaster as I do not have a credit card and my local vendor doesn't sell them for DC shows.

Anyway, I met this dude in line on Sunday and was explaining how hard of a time it was for me to get tickets and how this was a last minute decision and how my daughter had to cancel a huge slumber party we had planned and all this and that. She was so excited and has been wanting to see them forever. How cool was it that she travelled from Ohio to DC for her first show?

Anyway, we agreed on face value for price as the standard. He couldn't go any way. He brings me the tickets, and gave them to me for cab fair!! That is right, he handed me GREAT PJ seats for 20 bucks and said, "in this day and age, it is nice for nice things to happen to good people", and he wished my daughter well and a good time and left?

My wife and I were stunned and left speachless. There was a conversation and I tried to pay him the full amount, but this dude just wanted to do his part in a 13 year old girls, whom he just met, first ever PJ concert, first concert period!. I guess there still are good peeps in the world and it is nice to know they are PJ fans.

As far as the show, it was my 10th and easily top 3 of all time. My daughter, who knows the entire catalog, got to hear almost everything she wanted to. She missed Animal, Better Man, and Sometimes. She was so star struck. During one of Mike's solo's she looked at me in amazement and said, "How in the world can he do that". She thought it was funny how Ed would leave the stage to smoke, and thought it was so cool, that Stone applauded Ed after singing No More. She kept stairing at the crowd in amazement how we all sang along and made friends with each other. It was truly an amazing experience. And she was most happy that I was able to hear Who You Are for the first time ever.

Pearl Jam however, did 2 other things that left the biggest impact. She was amazed how they were curtious enough to play the people behind the stage during Last Kiss, and when Ed brought Jake on stage, well that was just the coolest thing she had ever seen.

Song wise, Comatose, Severed Hand, and Elderly Woman were her own personal highlights, as was Yellow Ledbetter with the lights on. She didn't want to leave, even though her feet were killing her. Amazing of all, my obscure dancing and terrible singing did not embarrass her for the first time ever!!!

For me personally, I have been waiting a long time to hear Who You Are, I Got Id, and Hard To Imagine. I also got Come Back, I'm Open, and No More for the first time......a great PJ experience for me as well. Thanks all!!!
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • catwomancatwoman Posts: 256
    dirtyT -- What a sweet story! Thanks for sharing. Glad your daughter loved the show.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    karenknits wrote:
    First and foremost I would like to thank the 10C for the phenomenal seats... front and center! I wanted to take my son to his first concert and I hoped it would be special. It doesn't get any better than that. Needless to say, I will never be able to top it.

There are not words I can say to thank Eddie, Mike, Stone, Jeff and Matt for inviting Jake up on stage to play during "Watchtower". Why he was picked, I may never know, but it was the experience of a lifetime.

Jake is 13 years old and has been playing guitar since January '08. He takes weekly guitar and voice lessons and plays in a group jam band each week. The current band name is Brain Freeze, but it changes frequently. He plays a Gibson Les Paul, but I'm sure he would have traded it for Eddie's Tele.

How he got up on stage:

Eddie leaned over during the show and asked Jake if he played and Jake said "yes". He asked if he was good and Jake said "yes". He doesn't lack confidence. Somewhere in the first encore, Eddie leaned down again and asked Jake to watch him. He played a few cords and asked Jake if he got it and Jake nodded yes. Then, at the beginning of "Watchtower", a guy came and pulled Jake out of the audience. Before I knew what was happening, Jake was up on stage.

Thru my tears I was able to get a few pix, but if anyone out there has any, please let me know.

After the show, we did get to go back stage with Eddie. (I did get a hug... a personal best moment for me!!) He was so gracious and kind to Jake; we will never forget that night.

Afterwards, I asked Jake if he was nervous up there on stage and he said he was a little before he went out, but the minute he got out there, he wasn't a bit nervous. He said, "I loved it out there and it felt great!" He had never played "Watchtower" before... pretty good for the first time. He does play a little "Yellow Ledbetter", his favorite PJ song.

Jake thanks you all for the great comments. We check the Message Pit and You Tube every few hours.

Regards,
    Jake's Mom
    Congratulations! That's beautiful!

Btw, do you knit? I'm up to socks on 2 circulars :D
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • bootlegbootleg Posts: 674
    Great show for me. After they played HTI, I really didn't care what they played. After seeing they were playing it this tour I was worried that I would end up missing it esp since they opened with it 2 days before. One of my favorite songs and I was so relieved when the first notes came out.

On another note did anyone else think they wasted a lot of space on the floor at DC? The front row was much further back then normal cause in Va Beach Ed was walking by handing pics to people and shaking hands. In DC he couldn't even reach half way across the gap and had to pass things on through security. Also after the first 5 rows in the front they had about a 3 row gap with no seats. It didn't really matter to me since I was up on the side but it seems like they wasted about 4 rows of prime floor seating.
  • soulshinesoulshine Posts: 120
    bootleg wrote:
    Great show for me. After they played HTI, I really didn't care what they played. After seeing they were playing it this tour I was worried that I would end up missing it esp since they opened with it 2 days before. One of my favorite songs and I was so relieved when the first notes came out.

On another note did anyone else think they wasted a lot of space on the floor at DC? The front row was much further back then normal cause in Va Beach Ed was walking by handing pics to people and shaking hands. In DC he couldn't even reach half way across the gap and had to pass things on through security. Also after the first 5 rows in the front they had about a 3 row gap with no seats. It didn't really matter to me since I was up on the side but it seems like they wasted about 4 rows of prime floor seating.

I thought the same thing, especially after the first section of floor seats, there was enought space for 3 or 4 rows between....but there were 4 or 5 handicapped folks over on Mikes side in the front, that may have been the reason, to follow codes or what not for them. I didn't want to post it before, because I wasn't sure if it was in bad taste or not, but Mike totally rocked those guys/girl out! He gave them tons of attention, the girl up front got his taped setlist (that was taped to the stage) and a pic, the other guys there also got pics and setlists from him. Very cool to see Mike so damn nice and caring.....although I would never expect anything less from him. :) I think he's just that kind of dude.
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need ~ BenHarper

http://www.myspace.com/soulshine70
  • PahkTheCahPahkTheCah Posts: 193
    My name is Pahk and I too was in "Section 100" *everyone chimes in* "Hi Pahk"

Most of the shows I have seen have been in Boston/ Mansfield so I've been pretty spoiled. However this might be in my top 5. DTE, GTF, RVM, Black, ...I could go on and on.... It was indeed a mediocre setlist on paper however in real time in rocked out with it's c*** out. Section 100 was unbelievable.

Before the show started the lady next to us walked up to Mikes side of the stage to try and get a pic of one of his guitars ('59 Strat if I remember correctly) low and behold Mike come walking on stage and she's able to get him to pull it out and get the picture....

The line to get into the building was crazy. The guy in front of us had the Istanbul "devil" tattooed on his arm. I realized when I got home he's the guy from Spain who posted it on http://www.tattooedeverything.com.

Great show. Loud show. Fantastic way to spend my 5th anniversary.

Thanks everyone.
  • soulshinesoulshine Posts: 120
    dirtyT wrote:
    I just wanted you to know how cool this guy was.

I'll make this quick.

I sent in a favor asking anyone on here if they had 2 extra tickets for the DC show; i wanted to take my 13 year old daughter to her first show and missed my chance at getting my own tickets. I could not get them through ticketmaster as I do not have a credit card and my local vendor doesn't sell them for DC shows.

Anyway, I met this dude in line on Sunday and was explaining how hard of a time it was for me to get tickets and how this was a last minute decision and how my daughter had to cancel a huge slumber party we had planned and all this and that. She was so excited and has been wanting to see them forever. How cool was it that she travelled from Ohio to DC for her first show?

Anyway, we agreed on face value for price as the standard. He couldn't go any way. He brings me the tickets, and gave them to me for cab fair!! That is right, he handed me GREAT PJ seats for 20 bucks and said, "in this day and age, it is nice for nice things to happen to good people", and he wished my daughter well and a good time and left?

My wife and I were stunned and left speachless. There was a conversation and I tried to pay him the full amount, but this dude just wanted to do his part in a 13 year old girls, whom he just met, first ever PJ concert, first concert period!. I guess there still are good peeps in the world and it is nice to know they are PJ fans.

As far as the show, it was my 10th and easily top 3 of all time. My daughter, who knows the entire catalog, got to hear almost everything she wanted to. She missed Animal, Better Man, and Sometimes. She was so star struck. During one of Mike's solo's she looked at me in amazement and said, "How in the world can he do that". She thought it was funny how Ed would leave the stage to smoke, and thought it was so cool, that Stone applauded Ed after singing No More. She kept stairing at the crowd in amazement how we all sang along and made friends with each other. It was truly an amazing experience. And she was most happy that I was able to hear Who You Are for the first time ever.

Pearl Jam however, did 2 other things that left the biggest impact. She was amazed how they were curtious enough to play the people behind the stage during Last Kiss, and when Ed brought Jake on stage, well that was just the coolest thing she had ever seen.

Song wise, Comatose, Severed Hand, and Elderly Woman were her own personal highlights, as was Yellow Ledbetter with the lights on. She didn't want to leave, even though her feet were killing her. Amazing of all, my obscure dancing and terrible singing did not embarrass her for the first time ever!!!

For me personally, I have been waiting a long time to hear Who You Are, I Got Id, and Hard To Imagine. I also got Come Back, I'm Open, and No More for the first time......a great PJ experience for me as well. Thanks all!!!

great story "green disease guy", as my daughter calls you. you kinda made her night two years ago in cleveland being so nice to her and loving the belt buckle and all....soooo stoked and happy for you that you got to share the same type of experiences with your daughter! It's quite unreal. Wish we would have spoken up to you in the line when we thought you looked familiar (she was wearing a social distortion t this time). Soooo freakin cool someone hooked you up with tix...there are still some really great people in this world, kinda brings some faith back in the people around us.....

and lol to you not emabarassing her, not so sure I didn't embarass mine though! :)
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need ~ BenHarper

http://www.myspace.com/soulshine70
  • PahkTheCahPahkTheCah Posts: 193
    Anyone else notice "Taps" in the middle of "The Star Spangled Banner" in the middle of YL?

It made it all the more better.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    Mike was on fire this show.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • smoke20smoke20 Posts: 50
    first, it was your 11th post, second, not everyone can see multiple shows in a tour, and third every experience in life can be positive or negative. after viewing all your posts you seem to have the glass half empty view, the show was great.... malfunctions during evacuation, singing to the crowd behind the stage(last kiss in case you dozed off) and JAKE playing watchtower. maybe you should think of the new things you experienced that night and not the rerun you think you were watching. peace
  • My daughter and I were happy with our seats in section 111 going up the side. I kindof would have liked to have been able to see some close up views on the big screen like at past concerts, but that's fine.

The energy around us was great. I am still feeling it today and wish I could be there right now. I was glad to hear all the songs that they played, especially Black and Given to Fly.

They played until about 11:30pm with the lights on for the last couple of encores. I thought it was a fabulous show.

I'm just amazed at how many Pearl Jam fans there are and how they fill up huge stadiums.
    Mary Jane
    ~~~~~~
    09/04/2000 Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD
    07/01/2003 Nissan Pavilion Stone Ridge, Bristow, VA
    06/22/2008 Verizon Center, Washington, D.C.
    10/27/2013 Baltimore Arena (1st Mariner), Baltimore, MD
  • Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    LOL mewingmaryjane... know what you mean. Long may the awesome folks in Sec 111 rock on! One of the best groups of people I ever had the pleasure to interact at a show with in over 35 years of attending concerts. Great band, show, and people! My son will never forget his first PJ show with the stellar memories he walked out with. Thanks PJ, 10C, and Section 111.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    PahkTheCah wrote:
    Anyone else notice "Taps" in the middle of "The Star Spangled Banner" in the middle of YL?

It made it all the more better.

it was a carbon copy of hendrix's version.
    "It's all happening"
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    FoxyMHMama wrote:
    LOL mewingmaryjane... know what you mean. Long may the awesome folks in Sec 111 rock on! One of the best groups of people I ever had the pleasure to interact at a show with in over 35 years of attending concerts. Great band, show, and people! My son will never forget his first PJ show with the stellar memories he walked out with. Thanks PJ, 10C, and Section 111.

I hear yah buddy.... I have heard so many ppl on this thread mention section 111 as the best section at DC Sunday night. We rocked out it was an amazing thing going on there. Glad everyone had a great time.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • jarch11jarch11 Posts: 52
    My pictures from this show turned out awful. Did anyone get any good shots?
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
    I would have loved 2 be at this show.

If it had the energy of the Rooo (which it looked like it did) then it's the show of the mini tour as of now.

Discuss,,,,,
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mt_wrxmt_wrx Posts: 33
    yeah, who the heck was that kid?
    Bubba wrote:
    Karen,

Awesome story about Jake!!
    karenknits wrote:

How he got up on stage:

Regards,
    Jake's Mom

• RhiannonRhiannon Posts: 3
    The DC show was my first Pearl Jam concert. I took my brothers- their first concert ever. They loved it.
    I was amazed at just the energy there. So unbelievable. I can't wait to see them again.
    My seats were horrible... next to last row across from the stage... but I had the best time. Definately the best show I've ever been to.
  • gothchickgothchick Posts: 3
    I agree with you, I was somewhat disappointed in the setlist too, and I also agree with you on the first encore. But I would have loved to have heard Wishlist or State of Love and Trust. I was on the side, too, maybe we saw each other :).

Setlist wise-probably the least exciting of the tour. Too few rarities for me, and still no In My Tree or Smile.
    Energy wise of, probably the best for this tour that Ive been to.
    I was side stage so I dont know if that distorted the sound but something was def wrong with Mikes guitar, besides the Evacuation thing.
    Over all Id give it a 7/10. First encore was great, main set was 'eh' and 2nd encore was 'eh'. The setlist really couldve used a little spice, like Nothingman, NAIS, Undone, something to make it really stand out. I know people are excited about You Are but that wasnt enough for me to make the show. I took a first timer and he is now a believer, so that was cool.
  • MakeMeCry43MakeMeCry43 Posts: 355
    Originally Posted by karenknits

How he got up on stage:

Regards,
    Jake's Mom

What a gorgeous story!! I'm so happy for Jake and for you Jake's mom! :D It's probably every fans dream to either be up there on stage with PJ or atleast have their children or friends up there! What a shinning moment for you! This definitely brought a smile to face, so I also thank you for sharing this wonderful story with us fellow jammers....But what a sweet sweet moment! I'm sure you couldn't believe it when it happened! And I'm sure Jake will never forget about that moment! Definitely a stamp in Jake's mind I'm sure...:D And you got to go back stage?! How awesome! And also a hug! Haha, I'm REALLY jealous :p Nah, I'm really really happy for you, yeah, I may not know you lol, but it's still a joy to read about other's shinning moments! And awww what a gorgeous boy you have! I just saw the pics!! Thanks to Bubba for the pics!! Wow, I'm sure you're still thinking about it KarenKnits hehe....
    "Does anyone remember laughter?"

"Where's Mike McCready? My god he's been ate!"

"If you're an Elvis fan, there's no explanation necessary; if you're not, there's no explanation possible."

"Sometimes God makes perfect people and Paul Newman was one of them." - RIP Paul Newman
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    you might see yourself (back of head or arms raised) in my pics!

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/65mustangTS/PJ%20DC%20June%2022%202008/
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • a lot of repeats from the last show but still a lot of fun!

did anybody else in 10c get worse seats than they expected? there was a lady a couple rows behind me in section 110 who was #149 or something in 10c! that's pretty freaking high on the list, and she was in section 110.

still, what a GREAT show. amazing energy and just an awesome time. also, i heard eddy had to take a steroid shot in the behind at a jersey show recently. is that true? if so, way to man up eddie, you rock man!
  • also, that's awesome that Jake got to go onstage. i assumed (wrongly) that it was probably something done with the make a wish foundation. thankfully though, it was just a really lucky kid getting an experience of his lifetime :)