A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    i didnt read anything,i just download it to see it :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    pretty lack luster episode... seems like its setting up lots of good stuff though :D

can't wait for next week!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I was pretty tired when I watched it but I didn't want to sleep before I had seen it. I didn't catch every word. I don't know about the scene with Dany and her handmaidens. I liked all the "It is known" as from the book, that brought a smile but, the teaching from one of them? I don't remember reading that...perhaps it's to set her up as gaining her own knowledge and power. It worked, was just a little odd.

The more I see Robb, the odder I think he looks. And the prince? I cannot still see him as anything but an ooompa loompa. I did like seeing Tyrion smack him, and thw whole interchange between him, Sansa, the hound, and Payne.

I cannot wait to see more.

Spoiler question for those who've read the book:

In the book, they talk of the king's bastard looking just like him with his dark hair. This king does not have too dark hair does he? I cannot see them saying that the children do not look so much like him. I always pictured the king with almost black hair. Perhaps I read it wrong.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    I have to watch the episode again tonight. Still very true to the book. I have to say after a while (in the book) I was getting some people mixed up. But they seem to be keeping the core important people only, thank the Lord because there are so many names in the first book it will make your head spin.

Great job on the fight with the butchers boy and set up is really good for whats coming, or what I think is coming.

I liked Cat much more in the book. She seems too whiny or something, I mean I know she's distraught about Bran, but she seemed more in control in the books. They are making her too weak and she's not. I also think she should be a little younger. Not sure why but it's bothering me a little.

Other thing, was surprised they had Joffrey say the C word. Was that in the book? It must have been. All the kids seem pretty young and I can't believe the writers would put that in just for shock value. Or did they? Will have to look it up...
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,994
    I'm lazy and I haven't read this whole thread but I finally watched the first episode over the weekend and I loved it. Never read the books.

Should I?
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    Enkidu wrote:
    I'm lazy and I haven't read this whole thread but I finally watched the first episode over the weekend and I loved it. Never read the books.

Should I?

Yes. :D
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,899
    Lizardjam wrote:
    I was pretty tired when I watched it but I didn't want to sleep before I had seen it. I didn't catch every word. I don't know about the scene with Dany and her handmaidens. I liked all the "It is known" as from the book, that brought a smile but, the teaching from one of them? I don't remember reading that...perhaps it's to set her up as gaining her own knowledge and power. It worked, was just a little odd.

The more I see Robb, the odder I think he looks. And the prince? I cannot still see him as anything but an ooompa loompa. I did like seeing Tyrion smack him, and thw whole interchange between him, Sansa, the hound, and Payne.

In the book, they talk of the king's bastard looking just like him with his dark hair. This king does not have too dark hair does he? I cannot see them saying that the children do not look so much like him. I always pictured the king with almost black hair. Perhaps I read it wrong.

In the book, Visery's (actually Magister Ilyrio) purchased Dorthea the handmaid to teach Danery's the Dorthraki language and also to teach her the bedroom arts. I thought the TV show interpretation was well done.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Lizardjam wrote:

As for the spoiler question:
    It has been a point many fans of the book have mentioned often that Mark Addy the guy playing the king does not have the jet black dark hair. It kind of makes Jon Arryn's final words "the seed is strong" a little less believable. I'm not sure why they did not dye his hair black .. :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Enkidu wrote:

Should I?
    the books are really addictive and great. If you enjoyed the show the book will blow you away. Plus I find it highly unlikely HBO tells the entire story before cancelling the series so you might as well start reading the books :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:

As for the spoiler question:
    It has been a point many fans of the book have mentioned often that Mark Addy the guy playing the king does not have the jet black dark hair. It kind of makes Jon Arryn's final words "the seed is strong" a little less believable. I'm not sure why they did not dye his hair black .. :(

Good to know I didn't remember it completely off. Thank you!

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/domestic-abuse/man-battered-kin-over-hbos-game-thrones-780215

This kind of geek on geek violence is appalling :D

Meet Michael Podniestrzanski.

The Florida man, 23, was arrested last night after an argument over the new HBO fantasy show “Game of Thrones” turned violent.

As will happen during shows “based on medieval times,” Podniestrzanski and his cousin “got into a verbal altercation” over which of the cable program’s characters was going to win, according to a Manatee County Sheriff’s Office report.

“Game of Thrones,” which premiered last Sunday night, is based on the first book in a series of “epic fantasy” novels written by George R.R. Martin.

With the argument between Podniestrzanski and Joshua Ross escalating, Podniestrzanski allegedly “took a swing at” his kin. After scuffling for a bit, Podniestrzanski’s cousin “ended up getting thrown in to the front window during the altercation.”

Podniestrzanski was arrested for misdemeanor domestic battery and transported to the county jail, where he is currently being held
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,899
    intodeep wrote:
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/domestic-abuse/man-battered-kin-over-hbos-game-thrones-780215

This kind of geek on geek violence is appalling :D

Meet Michael Podniestrzanski.

The Florida man, 23, was arrested last night after an argument over the new HBO fantasy show “Game of Thrones” turned violent.

As will happen during shows “based on medieval times,” Podniestrzanski and his cousin “got into a verbal altercation” over which of the cable program’s characters was going to win, according to a Manatee County Sheriff’s Office report.

“Game of Thrones,” which premiered last Sunday night, is based on the first book in a series of “epic fantasy” novels written by George R.R. Martin.

With the argument between Podniestrzanski and Joshua Ross escalating, Podniestrzanski allegedly “took a swing at” his kin. After scuffling for a bit, Podniestrzanski’s cousin “ended up getting thrown in to the front window during the altercation.”

Podniestrzanski was arrested for misdemeanor domestic battery and transported to the county jail, where he is currently being held

Win what? What show were they watching? It's not like there was an epic battle sequence going on :roll: ;):)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    intodeep wrote:
    Enkidu wrote:

Should I?
    the books are really addictive and great. If you enjoyed the show the book will blow you away. Plus I find it highly unlikely HBO tells the entire story before cancelling the series so you might as well start reading the books :)

Let's hope we get the entire story from the books. A lot of people waiting for the next chapter.

On a side note I was at the airport, I think LAX, and two guys were talking about Game of Thrones. I was listening in, and then it got a little strange.

Finally it clicked. It was some guy talking to George R.R. Martin.

I got into the conversation and Martin was great. Talked a lot about the HBO series, how he and his wife had just returned from a month or so in Australia, and about his love of Football.

He had taped all the games while he was gone, and didn't want me to spoil any of the results.

Lastly I asked him about Arya and Her (Spoiler) Lost Eyesight.

Couldn't resist.
    Wilds wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    Enkidu wrote:

Should I?

Let's hope we get the entire story from the books. A lot of people waiting for the next chapter.

On a side note I was at the airport, I think LAX, and two guys were talking about Game of Thrones. I was listening in, and then it got a little strange.

Finally it clicked. It was some guy talking to George R.R. Martin.

I got into the conversation and Martin was great. Talked a lot about the HBO series, how he and his wife had just returned from a month or so in Australia, and about his love of Football.

He had taped all the games while he was gone, and didn't want me to spoil any of the results.

Lastly I asked him about Arya and Her (Spoiler) Lost Eyesight.

Couldn't resist.
    That is awesome. I'm very curious about Arya too, but i'll wait for the book
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Kong is Dead.
    A Dance With Dragons is finished :D

Should make July 12 publication date
    http://suvudu.com/2011/04/yes-it-is-done-really.html

Hell Yes.

Now if he can just get started with Winds of Winter!!!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    Other thing, was surprised they had Joffrey say the C word. Was that in the book? It must have been. All the kids seem pretty young and I can't believe the writers would put that in just for shock value. Or did they? Will have to look it up...
    In the book, the only thing mentioned is that Joffrey was shouting "terrible things, filthy things" to Arya. While the C-bomb wasn't explicitly mentioned, I think it was probably implied.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
    intodeep wrote:
    Kong is Dead.

Hell Yes.

Hell yeah!
    Lukin66 wrote:
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    In the book, the only thing mentioned is that Joffrey was shouting "terrible things, filthy things" to Arya. While the C-bomb wasn't explicitly mentioned, I think it was probably implied.

I wasn't surprised. I don't remember exact words from the books all the time but, it seemed to fit pretty well for his character. :evil:

• intodeep wrote:
    Kong is Dead.

Hell Yes.

Just in time for a holiday read :D

Mind you I think I will wait for the paper back since I have all the others in that format. Keep the collection in the same style and height y'know?
    wathed 2 episodes dont knw if i will watch third...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I loved it, but I loved the books. I would suggest you watch 2 more before pulling the plug.
    Wilds wrote:

I loved it, but I loved the books. I would suggest you watch 2 more before pulling the plug.

I wasn't sure those that hadn't read it would get into it. I love it but I have so much backstory already in my head. I think it holds its own pretty well...

• Wilds wrote:

ok ok i will give it another go...if its still zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz im going to hunt you down and kill you :shock:
    Wilds wrote:

ok ok i will give it another go...if its still zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz im going to hunt you down and kill you :shock:
    Did you ever watch teh Wire on HBO?
    For me that was pretty boring at least half way through the first season. Then you kind of get a feel of what they are setting up and why they are doing everything.

If you can stick it out i would give the entire first season a shot before letting it go.

Episodes 8, 9, and 10 should be the ones that as long as people are watching they go "oh my god this is crazy/awesome"
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    intodeep wrote:
    Did you ever watch teh Wire on HBO?
    For me that was pretty boring at least half way through the first season. Then you kind of get a feel of what they are setting up and why they are doing everything.

If you can stick it out i would give the entire first season a shot before letting it go.

Episodes 8, 9, and 10 should be the ones that as long as people are watching they go "oh my god this is crazy/awesome"

What I was going to say, even though with GOT I have been in since the first episode. But like the Wire, GOT has lot of different characters to introduce first. Wire took me to about episode 5 or 6 to really buy in.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    intodeep wrote:
    Kong is Dead.

Hell Yes.

Is that what the sixth book is called? Really cool!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    rrivers wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    Kong is Dead.

Hell Yes.

Really cool.......when it's released when? 2016? ;)

Lizardjam wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    Kong is Dead.

Hell Yes.

Really cool.......when it's released when? 2016? ;)
    :lol:
    Yeah supposedly Winds of Winter is the next book followed by the final book A Time for Spring

That is of course if he does not add any more... which i think is possible

book 6 changed a couple years ago i think to winds of winter so it is possible it could change again.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    intodeep wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    Kong is Dead.

Hell Yes.

Really cool.......when it's released when? 2016? ;)[/quote]
    :lol:
    Yeah supposedly Winds of Winter is the next book followed by the final book A Time for Spring

That is of course if he does not add any more... which i think is possible

book 6 changed a couple years ago i think to winds of winter so it is possible it could change again.[/quote]

What was it before "Winds of Winter"?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    I am going to put it in spoiler white as the title change could have to do with changes made in the story:

It was going to be called "A Time for Wolves" So maybe it was the begining of the Starks kicking ass again... but then it changed to just Winds of Winter which is not so pro stark. All is speculation at this point until we can get our hands on ADWD and see what happens and what the set up is for book 6
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22