A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    mca47 wrote:
    So we know that the second season is a "go".
    I'm just curious as to how many episodes are in this season, and is this season going to encompass the entire first book? I never read the books...

Also, with the immediate success of the show, could it be assumed that all 4 books will eventually get translated to the show? To me, I would think they'd have to. It's not like the ratings will drop dependent on poor writing, etc. if all 4 books are just a series of one long story.
    Also, does anyone know how much of the book(s) they have filmed?

Also, could we not put spoilers in white text? Believe it or not, you can still see the text without dragging over it with the mouse. If you guys want to talk about the books, spoilers, etc., could someone just make a separate thread?

I'm pretty sure the first season is the first book.

I think as long as the ratings are there it will keep being renewed and continue to follow the books.

I think they have only filmed the first book/season thus far, but I'm not sure.

As to the spoilers I think writing in white is brilliant. Yeah you can still see it, but you really have to make an effort.

Just skip over it. No problem.
  • EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    Book one is season one, it will be 10 episodes.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,242
    Book one is season one, it will be 10 episodes.

Sweet!
    Thanks!

Lots of episodes left... :)
    Awesome interview with Angus Wall, the guy who did the opening credits.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/s ... its-179656
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Renewing for the second season was a given unless the ratings were abysmal.

They spent too much money on sets to not try to recoup that money over two seasons. Hopefully two seasons gives it time to pick up steam and even more ratings. They do get A LOT of money from oversea markets. It is a big international show so that helps.

I doubt they make it to the end of the series on HBO. I'm hopeful they can just make it through the end of the third book. I'd be very happy if i was wrong though.

Pretty excited about tonight's show
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:

They spent too much money on sets to not try to recoup that money over two seasons. Hopefully two seasons gives it time to pick up steam and even more ratings. They do get A LOT of money from oversea markets. It is a big international show so that helps.

I doubt they make it to the end of the series on HBO. I'm hopeful they can just make it through the end of the third book. I'd be very happy if i was wrong though.

The way it is going I am feeling it is more and more likely they will make it, from all accounts it is quite a hit.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
    intodeep wrote:

The way it is going I am feeling it is more and more likely they will make it, from all accounts it is quite a hit.

True Blood hovers around 4 to 5 million viewers. But began with around 2.5 and quickly moved up.

I think GOT is around 2.5 million viewers now, and it is going to pick up viewers as the awesomeness continues and the real shit starts to happen.

Can't wait for tonight's episode.
    Wilds wrote:

True Blood hovers around 4 to 5 million viewers. But began with around 2.5 and quickly moved up.

I think GOT is around 2.5 million viewers now, and it is going to pick up viewers as the awesomeness continues and the real shit starts to happen.

Can't wait for tonight's episode.

Yeah, and lets not forget the people who will wait to watch it back to back on Netflix or other means. Viewership for any show these days is far greater than those who just tune in on HBO. Also, I'm pretty sure GOT will eventually get people to subscribe just to watch it.
    Hell, I didn't have Showtime until I started watching Dexter and Californication on Netflix. Got hooked, ordered Showtime! :D
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,994
    I think it's great. We watched the third episode last night, I haven't read the books so I still get confused with who some of the people are but this is one of the best things I've seen on HBO since Band of Brothers. I'm afraid if I get the first book I'll just sit down and read all of it and I kind of like being surprised by watching the series.

The Peter Dinklage character is probably my favorite so far. And the kickass girl.
    Enkidu wrote:
    I think it's great. We watched the third episode last night, I haven't read the books so I still get confused with who some of the people are but this is one of the best things I've seen on HBO since Band of Brothers. I'm afraid if I get the first book I'll just sit down and read all of it and I kind of like being surprised by watching the series.

The Peter Dinklage character is probably my favorite so far. And the kickass girl.

yeah peter has done a great job with tyrion

Most reviews got to see the first 6 episodes and it seems everyone said by the time hits episode 5/6 it is really good. I've been very happy with the first 3
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    Loved last nights episode. I like the way they're introducing the characters with some of their backgrounds included. Helps to remember who is who.
    Still very true to the book.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    watching the last night episode now :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    I was happy with last night's episode.

Everything is set up now. The last 6 episode should rock.
    I liked how Cat Stark's actress Michelle Fairley handled the room with Tyrion at the end. Very well done.

Gregor Clegane was not quite as big as I wanted him to be but maybe when i see him not on a horse i'll like it more. We surely have to get more of the tournemant next episode right?

This show leaves me wanting more and more. I can't wait to see how the steam picks up moving forward.

Oh and GHOST (jon's direwolf) finally gets some good screentime :D His direwolf looks awesome just like he should.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I thought it was a strong episode. I can't wait to finish the book. A lot of background info in it, I need to watch it again since I'm sure I missed some things. It really feels like things are starting to pull together.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I think everyone is starting to like Dany more and more as she comes into her own. I certainly do! I like seeing it on the screen. I don't think it was laid out quite clearly about Jon Arryn's squire and why it was so important he died in the last ep. I did have a couple questions but since we can't ask them in white.......

I liked the interplay between Ned and Cersei. I think those two actors are playing the tension and emotion very well.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    There was one part of this episode that was a pretty big departure from the books. It will be interesting to see how they adjust the storyline based on it. I think we'll find out next episode.

The producers are staying pretty true to the story and the minor changes i've noticed have all been handled well over time so far. I'll show some patience and give them the benefit of the doubt that they are making the changes for good reasons.

The interactio between Theon Greyjoy and Tyrion and then later Jaime and Jory talking about the Greyjoy Rebellion was nice touch to add a little backstory on that.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Yes. More Please.

That was awesome last night. Mark Addy was really good last night from him laughing with Ed before the joust, screaming at Ed in the council meeting, and the candid conversation between him and Ceresi.

The pace and action should pick up moving forward. This show is about to hit it's stride.

Oh and Sweet Robin.... and his Lysa's sweet tit..... wtf :?

Bronn is not quite what i thought he would look like but it was great seeign him fight.

Is it next sunday yet??
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Yes. More Please.

That was awesome last night. Mark Addy was really good last night from him laughing with Ed before the joust, screaming at Ed in the council meeting, and the candid conversation between him and Ceresi.

The pace and action should pick up moving forward. This show is about to hit it's stride.

Bronn is not quite what i thought he would look like but it was great seeign him fight.

Is it next sunday yet??

Agree, thought last nights episode was very good.

And we are just at the mid point of the season. :D
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Next week two eps if you have HBO GO? Can't wait!!!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    intodeep wrote:
    Yes. More Please.

Is it next sunday yet??

They cast the Robin and Lysa perfect. That whole scene was awesome. Katelyn realizing her sister is completely 'touched' was great.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    That might have been the most violent hour of tv I've ever seen. Great episode last night.

The ten year old breast feeding was beyond disturbing. I told my wife it was disturbing in the book, but it was just a couple of sentences and then you were focusing on the conversation, not the disturbing kid sitting there the whole time!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    Great episode last night!!!
    rrivers wrote:
    That might have been the most violent hour of tv I've ever seen. Great episode last night.

The ten year old breast feeding was beyond disturbing. I told my wife it was disturbing in the book, but it was just a couple of sentences and then you were focusing on the conversation, not the disturbing kid sitting there the whole time!
    Yeah I can't wait to watch it again. So much happened during it :)

by the end i almost forgot we got the clegane vs clegane fight and gregor's horse decapitation!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    intodeep wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

by the end i almost forgot we got the clegane vs clegane fight and gregor's horse decapitation!

Did you get my pm?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    rrivers wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

Did you get my pm?
    I'm sorry i didn't but i see now that i have two pm's :( sorry i don't get many pms so i'm not used to looking for them.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    So I was saving a few of these episodes on Sky + to watch a big chunk all at once but it turns out some tit in my household has deleted episode 1 :roll:

Guess I will have to wait a little bit longer I guess :lol:
    So I was saving a few of these episodes on Sky + to watch a big chunk all at once but it turns out some tit in my household has deleted episode 1 :roll:

Guess I will have to wait a little bit longer I guess :lol:
    Do they have an "on demand" option with Sky?

I know most cable providers here in the States have "on demand" and for instance my provider has every episode up and you can watch it. Or does Sky offer you access to HBO Go? If so you could watch the first one online through their site and then watch the rest on your tv.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Another great episode. The crown scene at the end was awesome.
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    I got recommended this after knowing nothing about it, and I ended up hammering through the first 5 eps in a row! ( good use of having the house to myself while my girlfriend is away :) )

Brilliant! It's like Sharpe humped LotR and gave me an awesome baby.
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
    duggro wrote:
    I got recommended this after knowing nothing about it, and I ended up hammering through the first 5 eps in a row! ( good use of having the house to myself while my girlfriend is away :) )

Brilliant! It's like Sharpe humped LotR and gave me an awesome baby.
    That is great that you are liking it!

I got to watch the Golden Crown Episode last night (been out of town) and I thought it was really good. I was hoping for a little more gruesomeness from the crowning. I loved when it happened though as Visery's is such an easy person to hate.

We need some more Jon Snow! I haven't seen ep 7 but hopefully we get more action on the wall next time.

Sansa & Joffrey make me want to puke :?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22