A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

13567118

Comments

  • FifthelementFifthelement LotuslandPosts: 5,972
    smarchee wrote:
    I might have to check this out based on the comments in this thread

    I hope that you do :)

    Here's a link to review and an opinion from a critic who hasn't read the books. Very interesting :geek:


    http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_w ... _book.html
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,164
    Oh boy!! Tonight's the night!!!

    Reliving Season 3 of True Blood at 8pm then onto Thrones!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,215
    My Watch Begins Tonight :D

    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    It shall not end until my death… I shall live and die at my post.
    I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls.
    I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
  • FifthelementFifthelement LotuslandPosts: 5,972
    intodeep wrote:
    My Watch Begins Tonight :D

    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    It shall not end until my death… I shall live and die at my post.
    I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls.
    I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

    :shock: Awesome!!!! :mrgreen:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,164
    Wow, it was really good.
    Loved the opening with the white Walkers.

    So Impressed!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,215
    I was pretty happy with it. I thought it looked sensational.

    Jaime Lannister- "The things i do for love" :D

    The whole Cat trying to talk Ned out of going south is a bit odd to me considering in the book she was pushing him to go and Ned was hesitant but whatever not that big of a deal

    Overall I was really happy and I can't wait for next week!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    It was pretty true to the book! Not what I had in mind for most of the characters but I think as the story builds, it'll work! Can't wait to see the next one!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

    "New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

    I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

    "This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,667
    I thought it was great too.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I read all four in succession so I don't even remember where the first one ends. I hope they get a good turnout for this one and go on to make more!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

    "New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

    I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

    "This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,215
    Been thinking about it all day and I think i'm going to have to watch it again tonight.

    The guy playing Viserys did a great job. I really got into him more then i thought i would.

    I did not like the opening credit sequance with the gears etc. I did like how it moved around on the map to show you where you were going in that episode.

    Its awesome how spot on they got Arya and she did not even say more then two words the entire show.

    The Hound's helm looked awesome.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Just read a few reviews. Could they have made Jeoffrey actually attractive? Sansa is supposed to be falling for that little, sorry to be mean, but very not nice(ok sorta ugly) looking kid? Or am I blind? I don't think the characters that are supposed to be so beautiful actually are(except Dany).
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

    "New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

    I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

    "This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,667
    intodeep wrote:
    Been thinking about it all day and I think i'm going to have to watch it again tonight.

    The guy playing Viserys did a great job. I really got into him more then i thought i would.

    I did not like the opening credit sequance with the gears etc. I did like how it moved around on the map to show you where you were going in that episode.

    Its awesome how spot on they got Arya and she did not even say more then two words the entire show.

    The Hound's helm looked awesome.

    Are you a really big fan of the book, intodeep? It might be that your expectations are really high.

    I've only read the first book and I honestly can't say I have any complaints at all. I thought it was the best book to screen adaptation I've seen since Shawshank.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,215
    rrivers wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    Been thinking about it all day and I think i'm going to have to watch it again tonight.

    The guy playing Viserys did a great job. I really got into him more then i thought i would.

    I did not like the opening credit sequance with the gears etc. I did like how it moved around on the map to show you where you were going in that episode.

    Its awesome how spot on they got Arya and she did not even say more then two words the entire show.

    The Hound's helm looked awesome.

    Are you a really big fan of the book, intodeep? It might be that your expectations are really high.

    I've only read the first book and I honestly can't say I have any complaints at all. I thought it was the best book to screen adaptation I've seen since Shawshank.
    Yeah I'm a pretty big fan of the books :oops: , but i've only read them once (last year)
    I really wasn't trying to bitch. Overall I liked it. There are a few things i could nitpick about but they did good. I think they just have to make sure new viewers can connect with the characters.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
  • I have read the books at least 10 times, and I couldn't have been happier. The credit sequence was amazing. All the characters were pretty much nailed, and the sets were fantastic. The ratings could have been better, I hope it makes past one season.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i didn't read the books or anything, but so far i'm very impressed

    seems like theres more than enough cool characters and locations for this to last a long time

    and some medieval hotties :twisted:
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

    http://seanbriceart.com/
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 12,632
    I haven't read the books but a friend of mine has and convinced me to watch the series.
    I really enjoyed the first episode! I'm probably going to have to watch it again so I can absorb all of the characters (names, roles, etc.).

    Can we assure this discussion does NOT include any spoilers for those who are watching, and never read the book???

    I can see how someone might let something slip, so I ask the book readers out there to please be careful before posting!
  • FifthelementFifthelement LotuslandPosts: 5,972
    intodeep wrote:
    I was pretty happy with it. I thought it looked sensational.

    Jaime Lannister- "The things i do for love" :D

    The whole Cat trying to talk Ned out of going south is a bit odd to me considering in the book she was pushing him to go and Ned was hesitant but whatever not that big of a deal

    Overall I was really happy and I can't wait for next week!

    That part bothered me too. It completely changed Catelyn's character. I'm sure they had to do it for the sake of the narrative, to show Ned's divided loyalties. Overall, I was so impressed with the show. They really had a lot of exposition to deal with to introduce the characters and places and they did very well although I think multiple viewings will be in order ;)

    The Wall just blew me away. The intro credits were interesting - not at all what I expected or perhaps would have chosen, but the more I think it about it, the more perfect it is. Like the inner machinations of a clock . . . time ticking, behind the scenes maneuvering, etc. Looking forward to the next episode :D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,215
    mca47 wrote:
    I haven't read the books but a friend of mine has and convinced me to watch the series.
    I really enjoyed the first episode! I'm probably going to have to watch it again so I can absorb all of the characters (names, roles, etc.).

    Can we assure this discussion does NOT include any spoilers for those who are watching, and never read the book???

    I can see how someone might let something slip, so I ask the book readers out there to please be careful before posting!
    That is a great point because things happen in the book you dno't want to be spoiled on. To me the WTF moments in the book are part of what makes it so great.

    Like when Jaime pushed Bran out the window at the end of the first episode i was like holy shit that dude just tossed a little kid out like a bag of garbage on the garbage pick up day!
    edit: oh yeah and that whole realization that the twins are banging each other was kind of weird too :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    intodeep wrote:
    edit: oh yeah and that whole realization that the twins are banging each other was kind of weird too :D
    ok good... i thought i confused characters... but nope... incest :?

    pretty narcissistic to sex your twin

    i am looking forward to many dwarf hijinx
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

    http://seanbriceart.com/
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    want more white walkers!!
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Just watched it for the second time last night. Makes me want to go back and read the first book again! I cannot wait for the next one!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

    "New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

    I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

    "This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,215
    Season 2 is a Go! :)

    HBO went ahead and gave it the greenlight after the ratings came in from the first show.

    This means we inch closer to seeing Storm of Swords on TV. That book was the one that really hit home. Events in that book just floored me. I don't know how to make a spoiler tag or else i would, but if you've read the book i know you know what i'm talking about :)

    boooom11 The white walkers are in more of season one (sparingly) but the focus really moves towards Kings Landing and the court intrigue, but don't worry you do see more of them you just have to be patient.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan MarylandPosts: 9,508
    Really enjoyed the first epsidoe, been meanig to read these books forever, I am going to have to try and knock them out before season 2 starts. Or at least the first two books.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,667
    intodeep wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    I haven't read the books but a friend of mine has and convinced me to watch the series.
    I really enjoyed the first episode! I'm probably going to have to watch it again so I can absorb all of the characters (names, roles, etc.).

    Can we assure this discussion does NOT include any spoilers for those who are watching, and never read the book???

    I can see how someone might let something slip, so I ask the book readers out there to please be careful before posting!
    That is a great point because things happen in the book you dno't want to be spoiled on. To me the WTF moments in the book are part of what makes it so great.

    Like when Jaime pushed Bran out the window at the end of the first episode i was like holy shit that dude just tossed a little kid out like a bag of garbage on the garbage pick up day!
    edit: oh yeah and that whole realization that the twins are banging each other was kind of weird too :D

    Yeah when Bran was pushed out of the window when I was reading the first book was what really hooked me on that book.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I don't think I've ever watched a movie or series so closely after reading the book. It's nice to see the things I've read in someone else's image. Even though I knew what was going to happen to Bran and I waited for it, I STILL gasped :o when I saw it. It was well done and what a way to end episode 1!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

    "New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

    I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

    "This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,667
    Lizardjam wrote:
    I don't think I've ever watched a movie or series so closely after reading the book. It's nice to see the things I've read in someone else's image. Even though I knew what was going to happen to Bran and I waited for it, I STILL gasped :o when I saw it. It was well done and what a way to end episode 1!

    Yeah someone on this thread said they had a good idea on what the first episode would end on and that made me think it would be Bran falling. Good call whoever said that!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,164
    Lizardjam wrote:
    Just read a few reviews. Could they have made Jeoffrey actually attractive? Sansa is supposed to be falling for that little, sorry to be mean, but very not nice(ok sorta ugly) looking kid? Or am I blind? I don't think the characters that are supposed to be so beautiful actually are(except Dany).

    Really? I thought he was spot on, a snotty looking kid (not ugly) that has a strong resemblance to Jamie.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    Just read a few reviews. Could they have made Jeoffrey actually attractive? Sansa is supposed to be falling for that little, sorry to be mean, but very not nice(ok sorta ugly) looking kid? Or am I blind? I don't think the characters that are supposed to be so beautiful actually are(except Dany).

    Really? I thought he was spot on, a snotty looking kid (not ugly) that has a strong resemblance to Jamie.


    Yeah, unfortunately to me he has the look of an oompa loompa. I imagined him at least somewhat handsome so Sansa would be smitten but then out comes his attitude and personality to make him unattractive.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

    "New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

    I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

    "This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121

    Good review. Other than us, here in the forum, I haven't found but maybe one review by someone who has read the book. I'm interested in some of those.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

    "New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

    I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

    "This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
Sign In or Register to comment.