What Classic Bands/Artists DON'T You Like?!!!

KM43590KM43590 Posts: 298
edited April 2011 in Other Music
I had the day off sick from work today, and I've been watching some of VH1's 100 Greatest Artists, and it inspired me to make a list of my LEAST favorite classic bands and artists.

I know some of these might get me in trouble, or even might be considered blasphemy, but I was never able to like these bands for one reason or another and in my opinion some of them are just bad.

I'm curious if I'm the only one who doesn't like some of these bands, and what are some bands that you people can't stand that might otherwise be considered "The Greatest" to the majority of music fans.

I thought it would fun to hear some opinions, thanks! Here's my list, (In no certain order):

Pink Floyd
Grateful Dead
Bruce Springsteen
U2
Kiss
James Brown
The Ramones
The Rolling Stones
The Who
The Doors
Bob Dylan
The Clash
David Bowie
Bob Marley
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Neil Young
Van Halen
Elvis Costello
Aerosmith
Sex Pistols

:shock: :? ;) :ugeek: :lol:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ObieObie Posts: 4
    Damn, who DO you like?? Geez..
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    edited April 2011
    Holy shit! While we share the same opinion on a couple of these, this list had it's surprises for me. But as always, to each his own.

I too dislike the following:
    The Boss
    U2
    Kiss

Dont really care for
    Bowie
    Van Halen

Uncle Neil is hit or miss for me. He has some damn fine songs but sometimes that voice annoys me.

The ones that I couldnt DISagree with more are:
    Floyd
    Stones
    Who
    Bob Marley
    *edit*
    Forgot Dylan
    Post edited by he.who.forgets on
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • jncrusonjncruson Posts: 3
    i won't say that im a huge fan of all of these. but damn near every one you mentioned influenced pearl jam in some way or another. to quote eddie without bands like that they might sound like good charlotte or something. :)
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    rush
    skynard
    aerosmith
    van halen
    steve miller band
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • bennett13bennett13 Posts: 439
    I think it's interesting to note who was NOT on your list: ABBA, Neil Diamond, Phil Collins, Bee Gees, Michael McDonald, Meat Loaf, Bay City Rollers, Andy Gibb, Donny and Marie, Yoko Ono, Partridge Family....

But, then again, I guess those are some of the more obvious choices.

:lol:
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    you just admitted to not liking some of the greatest music ever made. wow. i can see one or two of those bands not connecting with you. but man all those?

throw some James fuckin Brown on in the far reaches of Africa and the Ubangi tribesman will get down like a sex machine. how can you not like the funk of James Brown? i dont get that one :roll:
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 181
    mfc2006 wrote:
    rush
    skynard
    aerosmith
    van halen
    steve miller band

I agree with you big time. I understand that there are some talented musicians in this group, but they can have all the talent in the world and still make my ears bleed. Especially Rush. I'd have to put Rush at the top of my list too.
  • MF151004MF151004 Posts: 31
    Agree/Overrated List- spoken highly of by other artists kinda like actors praising Steven Spielberg (has any one seen the new Indiana Jones movie?)

Bruce Springsteen-face looks like he's gonna shit all over the stage
    The Ramones-I don't get the attraction
    Bob Dylan-Whyyyyyyyyyy? whoooooooo liiiikes his soooooongs
    The Clash-me no likey
    Elvis Costello-ditto
    Sex Pistols-double ditto

Could care less-Like elderly woman-great song biut don't mind using it to take a piss at a live show
    Grateful Dead-great on drugs, if you can stand the smell of pochulee
    Kiss-we all loved the make up when we we're young
    James Brown-stayed on drugs
    The Rolling Stones-just stop for the love of god don't ruin your legacy
    The Who-sound awesome....as Pearl Jam covers
    Lynyrd Skynyrd-Free Bird, Simple Life and a bunch of background summer cook out music
    Van Halen-Bring Dave back
    Aerosmith-really should have hung it up a whgile ago, or just go back on drugs
    David Bowie-I actually like him but can see the unattraction

Completley Disagree/You're crazy List
    Pink Floyd-Most amazing music ever-please see Roger Waters do the Wall live before you put this on your list
    U2-great band-awesome live show-still relavant
    The Doors-c'mon maaaan...think WINNING! too weird to live, too young to die...um stike that!
    Bob Marley-who doesn't like this guy? wait you do.
    Neil Young-can agree with the annoying voice but thiss guy can rip live, saw crazy solo live with broken gutar string..enough said
    Dodge Music Center - Oct 02, 1996,Great Woods Center - Sep 15, 1998,Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000,Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003,Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003,Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008,Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008,Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004,TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006,TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006,United Center - Aug 23, 2009
  • Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    i dont like the beatles
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
    manutd3581 wrote:
    i dont like the beatles

people that claim this are looking for nothin but attention. You MUST like the beatles. or get off earth. :)
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
    manutd3581 wrote:
    i dont like the beatles

people that claim this are looking for nothin but attention. You MUST like the beatles. or get off earth. :)
    i honestly cant listen to a lot of their music. its too poppy. this isnt me looking for attention! i just dont listen to them. especially when every cover a band does of their songs is better.

I am 18 years old, btw. dont know if it makes much of a difference
    MSG II 5/21/10
    *formerly manutd3581
  • joewalshdcjoewalshdc Posts: 948
    Kiss to me are a pantomime
    Led zeppelin- dont get it at all
    Elvis Costello - really? Horrible
    Iron Maiden...nope
  • joewalshdcjoewalshdc Posts: 948
    manutd3581 wrote:
    manutd3581 wrote:
    i dont like the beatles

i honestly cant listen to a lot of their music. its too poppy. this isnt me looking for attention! i just dont listen to them. especially when every cover a band does of their songs is better.

I am 18 years old, btw. dont know if it makes much of a difference

I totally get you man. I appreciate they were genius but dont own anything by them and I have quite a substantial music collection. I am a massive Bowie fan and would hold him in the same esteemed team of 'genius' as mccartney and lennon. But I would never say im a fan of the beatles. Oh and as far as music goes age means fuck all. Good music is good music.
    joewalshdc wrote:

I totally get you man. I appreciate they were genius but dont own anything by them and I have quite a substantial music collection. I am a massive Bowie fan and would hold him in the same esteemed team of 'genius' as mccartney and lennon. But I would never say im a fan of the beatles. Oh and as far as music goes age means fuck all. Good music is good music.

Agree on Bowie, absolutely
    MSG II 5/21/10
    *formerly manutd3581
    joewalshdc wrote:
    Good music is good music.

joewalshdc wrote:
    :shock:
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    KM43590 wrote:
    Grateful Dead
    Elvis Costello
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    abbeyroadlarge.jpg

I don't hate them in fact I love them individually. I just think as a band they are way overrated.

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    joewalshdc wrote:
    Good music is good music.

joewalshdc wrote:
    I'm with ya. And I've been around so long that I bought their first album when it came out (I was 15). I like a song or 2 here and there but they always seemed ridiculously overblown to me.

I never laughed more than when they reunited for their one-off a couple of years ago. The prices people paid for tickets! I had many opportunities to see them when tickets were under $10 and I always declined. No regrets.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    ac/dc
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    Not a fan of:

Springsteen
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Kiss
    Ramones
    Foreigner / Journey / any of that corporate rock crap of the 80's.
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • demetrios wrote:
    ac/dc

thank YOU. everyone around me thinks I'm an idiot for saying I can't stand this band. "but you are such a huge music fan, how could you not like ACDC?". Yes, I AM a huge music fan, exactly. ACDC is not music to me!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • MF151004 wrote:

THIS.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    I'm struggling to think of one... I think they're all classic for good reason.

Of everything that's been listed on this thread so far, the only one I agree with is The Sex Pistols and I'm not sure if they qualify as a classic band. Can't tell you the last time I heard them on the radio. Not sure that I ever have. They were more about attitude (being an asshole) and style than about music. I liked it when Johnny Rotten became John Lydon again and formed Public Image Ltd... that was really good music! So there is this thing called redemption.

But I'm listening to Never Mind the Bollocks right now... I picked up a used copy fairly cheap some time ago. Hmmm... it's actually not terrible. :mrgreen:
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    Paul David wrote:
    MF151004 wrote:

THIS.

The Who sound fucking awesome... period. Honestly folks, some of you really confuse me. But what do I know? I puke at rock shows.
  • foresterforester Posts: 90
    kenny olav wrote:
    Paul David wrote:
    MF151004 wrote:

THIS.

The Who sound fucking awesome... period. Honestly folks, some of you really confuse me. But what do I know? I puke at rock shows.
    I agree - the Who is really amazing. But....you sir, your story is epic.
  • cannot do with pink floyd , used to think bruce springsteen was ok until i saw him live and that finished that totally overrated , never liked david bowie
    Wembly Arena-oct 28-1996 . MEN-june 04-2000 . MSG-july 08-2003 . MSG-july 09-2003 . GM Place-sep 02-2005 . Pengrowth Saddledome-sep 05-2005 . Astoria-april 20-2006 . Bill Graham Auditorium-july 15-2006 . Bill Graham Auditorium-july 16-2006 . Bill Graham Auditorium-july 18-2006 . Gorge Amphitheatre-july 22-2006 . Gorge Amphitheatre-july 23-2006 . Leeds Festival-aug 25-2006 . Wembley Arena-june 18-2007 . Forum Copenhagen-june 26-2007 . Verizon Amphitheatre-june 17-2008 . MSG-june 24-2008 . MSG-june 25-2008 . Sheperds Bush Empire-aug 11-2009 . MEN-aug 17-2009 . O2 arena-aug 18-2009 . United Centre-aug 23-2009 . United Centre-aug 24-2009 . MSG-may 20-2010 . MSG-may 21-2010 . Hyde Park-june 25-2010 . Air Canada Centre-sep 11-2011 . Air Canada Centre-sep 12-2011
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Supertramp. Most other critically acclaimed 'Classic' bands I at least enjoy to varying extents, but I hate Supertramp.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    I had many opportunities to see them when tickets were under $10 and I always declined.

craigb wrote:
    Not a fan of: Creedence Clearwater Revival

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I honestly can't think of one classic band that I don't dig at least a few songs from.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Pap wrote:
    I had many opportunities to see them when tickets were under $10 and I always declined.

If they'd come through here on that first tour, I'd have probably gone. But the longer they were around, the less impressed I was with their music. Also, I knew many people who saw them live and they always complained about sloppy shows where the band just phoned it in.

As far as the ticket prices, I was a teenager in the late 60s-early 70s. Concert tickets were cheap, just a little more than going to a movie. There was no need to save up a concert budget. I saw Jimi Hendrix for $5.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."