What Classic Bands/Artists DON'T You Like?!!!

124»

Comments

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Well I wasn't born until 1977, but I did see Page & Plant twice and 3 members of The Who thrice, and I thought Page & Plant performances blew away The Who performances. I mean, I really like The Who, but compared to Led Zep, it's not even close.

Of course, The Who did Quadrophenia every time I saw them. Which was rather annoying by the 3rd time...
    So I saw The Who before you were born. I always feel like such an old geezer on this board. :oops: :lol:

But I only remark on that to show that you and I are coming at this from completely different perspectives. I've been a Who fan since 67 and saw my band in their glory days. The albums are there but what really matters are the shows. In that respect I think they're like PJ.

You know these bands by their entire catalogs. I bought Led Zeppelin's first album when it came out and liked it, had many friends who were big fans, and listened to their new stuff as it was released. I'd have probably gone to see them live but I always heard the same things from people: they were sloppy and didn't give a shit. You saw Page & Plant 20 years later when they did give a shit and put on good shows.

Quad doesn't translate well live. Great album though, not my very fave but near the top of the list. Glad you got to see The Who while Thunderfingers was still around. :thumbup: He's missed.

The Who to me are what PJ seems to be for many of the members here: the band that was there for every major stage of my life. I'm always pleasantly shocked to find I'm not the only person who is such a fan. So I don't worry that they're past their prime. And if Pearl Jam lasts 40 years, I'm betting a lot of people here will feel that way too.

Hey, if you have a passion for Led Zeppelin, more power to you. I was just trying to explain that are still some people who consider themselves serious rockers who don't care for them all that much. If you and I ever meet up at a show, I'll buy you a beer. 8-)

Not if I buy you one first! ;)

I'll say this, Live at Leeds is better than The Song Remains the Same. Those versions of Substitute, Tattoo, Magic Bus, etc. destroy the album versions.

I'm glad Page & Plant discovered their passion by 1995. ;)

Some people on this board weren't born when Ten came out, if you (and I) really want to feel old. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    You say if I don't like Zep I'm not a real rock fan? Wow, you made me cry. :P

I think it was others who said they hated Zep, although I can't remember. Not liking is, well, it's still strange, I have to say. But that's how it goes.

The Who are more groundbreaking and influential? Well Keith Moon did come up with the name Led Zeppelin.
    Yup. And Jimmy Page has said that when he was looking for a lead singer he deliberately found someone blond and good-looking like Roger Daltrey. He wasn't able to get Moon (and The Ox) to join his band but he did find another crazy ass drummer. All the better to get a record deal. People seem to forget that most musicians back then were trying to become rich rock stars, not artistes.
    And The Who did invent the rock opera. Otherwise I can't see how this is the case. You've got Tommy, Live at Leeds & Who's Next (and maybe Quadrophenia), which I would say still don't match up in total to any 4 of Led Zep's first 7 albums. All their other albums seem to be a few good songs and some filler. The real early albums are mediocre Beatles wanna-be albums.
    Yeah, because that's what music WAS in the 60s, AM radio-friendly tunes of under 3 minutes. The album was a new concept. Up until Rubber Soul and Revolver, albums were usually one big hit and a lot of throwaway covers. Zep came along when album-oriented rock (AOR) was becoming the thing on FM radio.

The Who were never known for their albums as much as for their live performances. In the 70s, The Who was one of the bands that EVERYBODY wanted to see because their shows were killer. On the other hand, Zep had great albums but I never went to one of their concerts. Mostly because the sentiment I heard from every person I knew who did was some variation of "Man, they really sucked!"

I've ranted plenty of Who rants on this board but when I say they were influential, I'm not talking about what they invented or their albums. I was thinking that I've read a lot of interviews and articles where bands named The Who as important influences. I just don't remember people saying they modeled their band after Led Zeppelin.
    Who Are You is blatant pandering to the disco era.
    :wtf:
    Sorry, but this made me laugh. Blatant pandering to the disco era? :lol: How do you figure that? Who Are You is a very uneven album but one song (Sister Disco) was meant to parody disco. If they covered Gloria Gaynor or KC and the Sunshine Band maybe, but I've got to wonder how much disco have you actually suffered through if you think this is what it sounds like.
    I don't know - it's an interesting argument, but pound for pound I'll take Led Zep any day of the week. ;)
    To each his own. Note for note, I'll take my 70s Who over Zep day in day out. ;)8-)

That's really great analysis, whoprincess. I was born in 1976, so I can't back up you up with firsthand experience, but what you say makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing!
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,583
    KM43590 wrote:
    Pink Floyd
    Grateful Dead
    Bruce Springsteen
    U2
    Kiss
    James Brown
    The Ramones
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    The Doors
    Bob Dylan
    The Clash
    David Bowie
    Bob Marley
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Neil Young
    Van Halen
    Elvis Costello
    Aerosmith
    Sex Pistols

:shock: :? ;) :ugeek: :lol:

wow. just saw this thread. don't really have time to read through it, so i'm sure this has been said multiple times in one way or another, but this is just the stupidest shit i've ever seen. do you even like pearl jam? is this a joke? what am i missing? i mean, i don't really dig van halen, kiss or skynyrd...and i'll give you a couple others. but to not like all of these artists is just silly. you have a ton of innovaters on that list. if all of those artists you've mentioned were just extinguished from the history of rock music, i'm not sure what rock music would even fucking sound like. this is incredibly stupid and i can't believe i'm even responding to it, but it just pissed me off for some reason. please tell me you are 15 or something and just haven't gotten around to discovering this music which would excuse your ignorance which is what i hope it is. cause if you actually listened to these bands and had the same opinion, you either like pearl jam cause you have an attraction to someone in the band or you have the IQ of a squirrel. it just doesn't make sense.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I'll say this, Live at Leeds is better than The Song Remains the Same. Those versions of Substitute, Tattoo, Magic Bus, etc. destroy the album versions.

I'm glad Page & Plant discovered their passion by 1995. ;)

Some people on this board weren't born when Ten came out, if you (and I) really want to feel old. :lol:
    Live at Leeds fuckin rocks. It has my favorite version of Sparks ever. I also love hearing that instrumental bit in My Generation that Pete later turned into Naked Eye.

I still love the way Plant sings, even if some of his solo material has been a little off the wall. Got to see him with Alison Krause at ACL Fest a few years ago. Most everyone had gone over to the other stage to hear Beck, so I was right up in front. BTW if you're wondering at my choice, I figured I'd have other chances to see Beck but Krause & Page was bound to be a one-off. :lol:

You're on with the beer! 8-)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    kenny olav wrote:
    That's really great analysis, whoprincess. I was born in 1976, so I can't back up you up with firsthand experience, but what you say makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks! I was afraid I sounded like some snotty old fart ranting about the good old days. :oops:

For you whippersnappers who were born in the 70s or later, be grateful that you missed the disco era, truly the worst musical genre I have lived through. :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Interesting thread.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I can't stand
    The Beatles
    The Doors
    The Sex Pistols
    Barry White
    ZZ Top
    Motley Crue
    Bon Jovi
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    MF151004 wrote:
    Agree/Overrated List- spoken highly of by other artists kinda like actors praising Steven Spielberg (has any one seen the new Indiana Jones movie?)

Bob Dylan-Whyyyyyyyyyy? whoooooooo liiiikes his soooooongs
    :roll: Shockingly, a lot of people do.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Please someone stop me, I promised myself I would ignore the I hate these bands thread, it must feel some kind of protectorship for our past Great bands/Artist many listed here, if not for them music would be very different and not for better IMO.Just a little background to get a since of where i am coming from and my musical experience(my Street Cred so to speak,LOlO) grew up late 60's and 70's listening to in many cases music that was 20-40 years old as parents marrried in their early 40's after my Dad finished the active duty part of 30 yrs in USMC, so most of music I heard in my house was Siantra, Tom Jones, Engleburt Humpherdink and a of a Guy named Elvis that caught my ear for really the rest of my life. Yet everyone does not have to Love him. but to hate em or even dislike em, is confusing, do folks research these things at all Elvis was the enovator of the stage show the tour. the DVD, sattelite brodcast around world(think it still is largest viewership and w/o US who had to wait 2 mons for it, and in 1968 he did a sit down w accoustical instruments that went very well, Good thing those MTV people where watching :lol:;):lol:By Time I was about 22(1989) I started working security to eaarn extra money and see some show as well at local venues in upstate NY(U want hate a band, work security that will change ur mine fast on some) so from about 89 to 2005 I worked approx 250 shows/concerts, while I also went another 200 shows of my choice(or girlfriends choice:) so I been to nearly 500 concerts of all types.So with that I say I did not enjoy all those shows, but many times I was surprised with just a song or two or how a band treated fan and staff after show for the bettter, not always, so to me if I can take one song I will cherish and associate with the exp I am happy and that is why I Love PJ so much still after 20 yrs you never know what special song or story Eddie is going tell and I look forward to that.I will say most overated band IMO are Led Zep(I like a lot of their stuff, but not their all-time #1automaatic Greateast Song, same with Nirvano like them a bit until I did work an early 90's show and got to see Kurt in action, oh well!

All I can say on this topic is of course there are bands we all do not like equallly,but when throwing the WHO(The Mighty F-ng) out the dooor and I see list of some bands I have enjoyed greatly over the years and many have been enovatotive in our music we DO LOVE it saddens me
    11/5/91: Troy NY "I Just Want to SCREAM... HELLO!"
    8/4/92:Saratoga NY 4/6/94:Mass 9/13/98:CT
    8/27/2000:Saratoga NY,10/04/2000:Montreal,Canada
    04/29/03:Albany, 5/12/06:Albany NY,10/31/09:Philly,5/15/10Hartford CT

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    DewieCox wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I like all that classic rock...there was more great rock 'n' roll done in the 60's and 70's than been done in the 3 decade's that have followed, imo.

I disagree. I like some old bands, but alot of that older stuff isn't really classic. There's bands from back then that are untouchable, but overall modern music has so much more to offer.

like what
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    ... I did work an early 90's show and got to see Kurt in action, oh well!...
    I'm jealous :) and I dislike W.A.S.P. (if you consider them classic).
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Pap wrote:
    ... I did work an early 90's show and got to see Kurt in action, oh well!...
    I'm jealous :) and I dislike W.A.S.P. (if you consider them classic).
    ofcourse W.A.S.P are Classic
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    ofcourse W.A.S.P are Classic
    OK then. I just don't like this kind of music.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    Here is a VH1 list of the top 100 greatest artists of all time...I just gave the ones who I don't like in particular the thumbs down.

http://stereogum.com/495331/vh1-100-gre ... time/list/

100 Alicia Keys
    99 Hall & Oates
    98 Depeche Mode
    97 Pretenders
    96 Journey
    95 OutKast
    94 Mariah Carey :thumbdown:
    93 Pearl Jam
    92 LL Cool J
    91 Green Day
    90 Elvis Costello
    89 Beastie Boys
    88 Bee Gees
    87 George Michael
    86 N.W.A.
    85 The Band
    84 Curtis Mayfield
    83 Earth, Wind and Fire
    82 Steely Dan
    81 ABBA
    80 Mary J. Blige
    79 Eminem
    78 Judas Priest
    77 Lynyrd Skynyrd
    76 Run-D.M.C.
    75 Rush
    74 The Cure
    73 Van Morrison
    72 Janis Joplin
    71 R.E.M.
    70 Def Leppard
    69 Tupac Shakur
    68 Otis Redding
    67 Coldplay :thumbdown:
    66 Justin Timberlake
    65 The Doors
    64 Talking Heads
    63 Notorious B.I.G.
    62 Genesis
    61 Cream
    60 Whitney Houston
    59 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    58 Cheap Trick
    57 Iggy & The Stooges
    56 KISS
    55 Peter Gabriel
    54 Public Enemy
    53 Little Richard
    52 Beyoncé
    51 Billy Joel
    50 Sade
    49 Parliament-Funkadelic
    48 Rage Against The Machine
    47 Jay-Z
    46 Ramones
    45 Al Green
    44 Joni Mitchell
    43 Ray Charles
    42 Metallica
    41 Van Halen
    40 The Police
    39 The Kinks
    38 Sly & The Family Stone
    37 Fleetwood Mac
    36 Paul McCartney
    35 Johnny Cash
    34 Tina Turner
    33 Guns N’ Roses
    32 Black Sabbath
    31 John Lennon
    30 Aerosmith :thumbdown:
    29 Radiohead
    28 Elton John
    27 Aretha Franklin
    26 Neil Young
    25 Chuck Berry
    24 The Velvet Underground
    23 AC/DC
    22 The Clash
    21 Bruce Springsteen
    20 Marvin Gaye
    19 U2 :thumbdown:
    18 Pink Floyd
    17 Queen
    16 Madonna :thumbdown:
    15 The Beach Boys
    14 Nirvana
    13 The Who
    12 David Bowie :thumbdown:
    11 Bob Marley
    10 Stevie Wonder
    09 James Brown
    08 Elvis Presley
    07 Prince :thumbdown:
    06 Jimi Hendrix
    05 Bob Dylan
    04 Rolling Stones
    03 Led Zeppelin
    02 Michael Jackson
    01 The Beatles :-| (Not really a fan of the beatles)
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
    -Emma- wrote:
    Here is a VH1 list of the top 100 greatest artists of all time...I just gave the ones who I don't like in particular the thumbs down.

100 Alicia Keys
    99 Hall & Oates
    98 Depeche Mode
    97 Pretenders
    96 Journey
    95 OutKast
    93 Pearl Jam
    92 LL Cool J
    91 Green Day
    90 Elvis Costello
    89 Beastie Boys
    88 Bee Gees
    87 George Michael
    86 N.W.A.
    85 The Band
    84 Curtis Mayfield
    83 Earth, Wind and Fire
    82 Steely Dan
    81 ABBA
    80 Mary J. Blige
    79 Eminem
    78 Judas Priest
    77 Lynyrd Skynyrd
    76 Run-D.M.C.
    75 Rush
    74 The Cure
    73 Van Morrison
    72 Janis Joplin
    71 R.E.M.
    70 Def Leppard
    69 Tupac Shakur
    68 Otis Redding
    66 Justin Timberlake
    65 The Doors
    64 Talking Heads
    63 Notorious B.I.G.
    62 Genesis
    61 Cream
    60 Whitney Houston
    58 Cheap Trick
    57 Iggy & The Stooges
    56 KISS
    55 Peter Gabriel
    54 Public Enemy
    53 Little Richard
    52 Beyoncé
    51 Billy Joel
    50 Sade
    49 Parliament-Funkadelic
    47 Jay-Z
    46 Ramones
    45 Al Green
    44 Joni Mitchell
    43 Ray Charles
    42 Metallica
    41 Van Halen
    40 The Police
    39 The Kinks
    37 Fleetwood Mac
    36 Paul McCartney
    35 Johnny Cash
    34 Tina Turner
    33 Guns N’ Roses
    32 Black Sabbath
    31 John Lennon
    29 Radiohead
    28 Elton John
    27 Aretha Franklin
    26 Neil Young
    25 Chuck Berry
    23 AC/DC
    22 The Clash
    21 Bruce Springsteen
    20 Marvin Gaye
    18 Pink Floyd
    17 Queen
    15 The Beach Boys
    14 Nirvana
    13 The Who
    11 Bob Marley
    10 Stevie Wonder
    09 James Brown
    08 Elvis Presley
    06 Jimi Hendrix
    05 Bob Dylan
    04 Rolling Stones
    03 Led Zeppelin
    02 Michael Jackson

Wow! what a stupid list. (of the greatest artists of all time)...not your comments on it.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Lifted wrote:
    -Emma- wrote:

100 Alicia Keys
    99 Hall & Oates
    98 Depeche Mode
    97 Pretenders
    96 Journey
    95 OutKast
    93 Pearl Jam
    92 LL Cool J
    91 Green Day
    90 Elvis Costello
    89 Beastie Boys
    88 Bee Gees
    87 George Michael
    86 N.W.A.
    85 The Band
    84 Curtis Mayfield
    83 Earth, Wind and Fire
    82 Steely Dan
    81 ABBA
    80 Mary J. Blige
    79 Eminem
    78 Judas Priest
    77 Lynyrd Skynyrd
    76 Run-D.M.C.
    75 Rush
    74 The Cure
    73 Van Morrison
    72 Janis Joplin
    71 R.E.M.
    70 Def Leppard
    69 Tupac Shakur
    68 Otis Redding
    66 Justin Timberlake
    65 The Doors
    64 Talking Heads
    63 Notorious B.I.G.
    62 Genesis
    61 Cream
    60 Whitney Houston
    58 Cheap Trick
    57 Iggy & The Stooges
    56 KISS
    55 Peter Gabriel
    54 Public Enemy
    53 Little Richard
    52 Beyoncé
    51 Billy Joel
    50 Sade
    49 Parliament-Funkadelic
    47 Jay-Z
    46 Ramones
    45 Al Green
    44 Joni Mitchell
    43 Ray Charles
    42 Metallica
    41 Van Halen
    40 The Police
    39 The Kinks
    37 Fleetwood Mac
    36 Paul McCartney
    35 Johnny Cash
    34 Tina Turner
    33 Guns N’ Roses
    32 Black Sabbath
    31 John Lennon
    29 Radiohead
    28 Elton John
    27 Aretha Franklin
    26 Neil Young
    25 Chuck Berry
    23 AC/DC
    22 The Clash
    21 Bruce Springsteen
    20 Marvin Gaye
    18 Pink Floyd
    17 Queen
    15 The Beach Boys
    14 Nirvana
    13 The Who
    11 Bob Marley
    10 Stevie Wonder
    09 James Brown
    08 Elvis Presley
    06 Jimi Hendrix
    05 Bob Dylan
    04 Rolling Stones
    03 Led Zeppelin
    02 Michael Jackson

Wow! what a stupid list. (of the greatest artists of all time)...not your comments on it.

I didn't think it was too bad. There's some modern artists who are overblown and some I'd rank higher or lower but the actual names on the list arent too bad. You gotta take into account that MJ died right before they started compiling this list.
    DewieCox wrote:
    Lifted wrote:
    -Emma- wrote:

100 Alicia Keys
    99 Hall & Oates
    98 Depeche Mode
    97 Pretenders
    96 Journey
    95 OutKast
    93 Pearl Jam
    92 LL Cool J
    91 Green Day
    90 Elvis Costello
    89 Beastie Boys
    88 Bee Gees
    87 George Michael
    86 N.W.A.
    85 The Band
    84 Curtis Mayfield
    83 Earth, Wind and Fire
    82 Steely Dan
    81 ABBA
    80 Mary J. Blige
    79 Eminem
    78 Judas Priest
    77 Lynyrd Skynyrd
    76 Run-D.M.C.
    75 Rush
    74 The Cure
    73 Van Morrison
    72 Janis Joplin
    71 R.E.M.
    70 Def Leppard
    69 Tupac Shakur
    68 Otis Redding
    66 Justin Timberlake
    65 The Doors
    64 Talking Heads
    63 Notorious B.I.G.
    62 Genesis
    61 Cream
    60 Whitney Houston
    58 Cheap Trick
    57 Iggy & The Stooges
    56 KISS
    55 Peter Gabriel
    54 Public Enemy
    53 Little Richard
    52 Beyoncé
    51 Billy Joel
    50 Sade
    49 Parliament-Funkadelic
    47 Jay-Z
    46 Ramones
    45 Al Green
    44 Joni Mitchell
    43 Ray Charles
    42 Metallica
    41 Van Halen
    40 The Police
    39 The Kinks
    37 Fleetwood Mac
    36 Paul McCartney
    35 Johnny Cash
    34 Tina Turner
    33 Guns N’ Roses
    32 Black Sabbath
    31 John Lennon
    29 Radiohead
    28 Elton John
    27 Aretha Franklin
    26 Neil Young
    25 Chuck Berry
    23 AC/DC
    22 The Clash
    21 Bruce Springsteen
    20 Marvin Gaye
    18 Pink Floyd
    17 Queen
    15 The Beach Boys
    14 Nirvana
    13 The Who
    11 Bob Marley
    10 Stevie Wonder
    09 James Brown
    08 Elvis Presley
    06 Jimi Hendrix
    05 Bob Dylan
    04 Rolling Stones
    03 Led Zeppelin
    02 Michael Jackson

I didn't think it was too bad. There's some modern artists who are overblown and some I'd rank higher or lower but the actual names on the list arent too bad. You gotta take into account that MJ died right before they started compiling this list.

i wouldn't argue with having mj on the list. he's actually one of my favorites. but overall, the list is pretty terrible. of course i wouldn't argue with at least half of the names on it....but it's more about the other half and all of the amazing artists that were omitted because of them. i don't want to have to go through and list all of them...but mariah carey, beyonce, journey, steely dan, justin timberlake and abba are all on that list to name a few. i don't even hate all of the "artists" i just mentioned, but to put them on a list of the top 100 of all time is laughable.
    ....i guess it's hard to argue with most of it coming from vh1. obviously there would be omissions that would bother people...but taking into account the success of the artists on it, maybe their list would be better than mine......but seriously, how about nick drake, the grateful dead, sonic youth........and where's the jazz? coltrane, miles, monk etc......surely they could've sacrificed some of those names.

and i can't believe dylan is all the way down at #5. he should be #2 at least.
    Lifted wrote:
    Agreed. I think it could've been a toss-up between him and MJ for #2 and 3.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Lifted wrote:

Are you fuckin kidding? Let's be realistic, here. MJ doesn't belong in the top 10.
    DewieCox wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Lifted wrote:

Are you fuckin kidding? Let's be realistic, here. MJ doesn't belong in the top 10.

i disagree. obviously you are not an mj fan. but the man (if that's what you call him) was truely one of a kind.
    Lifted wrote:
    i disagree. obviously you are not an mj fan. but the man (if that's what you call him) was truely one of a kind.

Yeah, but that doesn't make him a great artist. You're really gonna compare him to the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Stevie Wonder, Queen, or Jimi Hendrix as an artist?

He's immensely talented, I just have a hard time saying he's one of the greatest artists when he didn't really know how to use a "brush". He can sing and dance like crazy and he knows how to put on a huge show, I just don't place that much emphasis on that stuff when talking about an artist.

NOBODYwas putting MJ high up on any lists until the day after he died.

Really, If he's up that high on the list, then where the hell is Garth Brooks, the country music equivalent except he wrote a good portion his music?
    DewieCox wrote:
    Lifted wrote:

Yeah, but that doesn't make him a great artist. You're really gonna compare him to the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Stevie Wonder, Queen, or Jimi Hendrix as an artist?

He's immensely talented, I just have a hard time saying he's one of the greatest artists when he didn't really know how to use a "brush". He can sing and dance like crazy and he knows how to put on a huge show, I just don't place that much emphasis on that stuff when talking about an artist.

NOBODYwas putting MJ high up on any lists until the day after he died.

Really, If he's up that high on the list, then where the hell is Garth Brooks, the country music equivalent except he wrote a good portion his music?

whoa. comparing michael jackson to garth brooks.....i think maybe you are just ignorant to what michael jackson accomplished during his life from an artistic standpoint. makes sense since you obviously do not like his work. michael jackson was an artist in the truest sense. his music, his dancing, his image, the videos, everything he did made some sort of artistic statement. he lived it everyday of his life. to just write him off as some pop star who sang some hits and had some sweet dance moves is unfair......and i don't know what "lists" you were looking at, but michael jackson was just as popular and well regarded for his music while he was alive. the child molestation cases quited down his enthuiasts a bit. but this is nothing new.

and i'm not sure what your qualifications are for being an artist? making music that you like? mj is ten times the artist that anyone in led zeppelin will ever be. those guys played blues/rock-n roll....and were fucking great at it. michael jackson could do that too....he just could do a whole lot more.

...i am a led zeppelin fan, so no need to argue with me about that. (i know they're your favorite?) certainly don't have a problem with them being in the top 10 of a list like this....but your view of michael jackson has me scratching my head.
    MJ played one genre of music and wasn't the first to do anything from a musical standpoint. He combined the poppier aspects of something that was already bubbling up brought it to the mainstream.

I've heard alot of his music and there's a decent amount I can stand to listen to even though it's not my thing and I agree he deserves to be in the higher part of the list, but for me he's a musical act and that's what carries the most weight. I don't really care about the big shows and how he lived his life. I don't give Jimmy Page extra points as an artist for wearing his dragon suit or slinging his guitar low.

For the record, Zeppelin has songs that cover more genres than MJ did through his career.
  • jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    Yeah that list sucks. MJ and Nirvana are way up because they died. The Band should be in the top 20 and most about half these artists shouldn't be on here.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
    DewieCox wrote:
    MJ played one genre of music and wasn't the first to do anything from a musical standpoint. He combined the poppier aspects of something that was already bubbling up brought it to the mainstream.

I've heard alot of his music and there's a decent amount I can stand to listen to even though it's not my thing and I agree he deserves to be in the higher part of the list, but for me he's a musical act and that's what carries the most weight. I don't really care about the big shows and how he lived his life. I don't give Jimmy Page extra points as an artist for wearing his dragon suit or slinging his guitar low.

For the record, Zeppelin has songs that cover more genres than MJ did through his career.

we'll just have to agree to disagree. mj's music crossed over many genres. i think more so than led zeppelin. i understand your viewpoint and where it's coming from, but i can't help but to think maybe you just never "got it" with MJ, which would explain your narrow perspective on his career.....and for the record. NO ONE sang like mj. he had one of the most unique and interesting vocal deliveries i've ever heard and has been mimicked more than any other artist in pop music.
    I guess having the best selling album of all time doesn't mean anything.
    Lifted wrote:
    .....and for the record. NO ONE sang like mj. he had one of the most unique and interesting vocal deliveries i've ever heard and has been mimicked more than any other artist in pop music.
    Agreed. Ever since he was a kid his voice was one of the best there ever was.