Options

What Classic Bands/Artists DON'T You Like?!!!

Comments

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    kenny olav wrote:
    Paul David wrote:
    MF151004 wrote:
    The Who-sound awesome....as Pearl Jam covers

THIS.

The Who sound fucking awesome... period. Honestly folks, some of you really confuse me. But what do I know? I puke at rock shows.
    Srsly, you guys need to listen to some Moon-era boots at the very least. Or watch Maximum R&B.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    RUSH!
    AC/DC
    and, although it probably isn't considered 'classic', can't stand any and all things related to SKA!!
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,334
    I saw Jimi Hendrix for $5.

I'm jealous and you are lucky. :)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    To Each his own but this might be one of the most musically confused threads I've ever seen.
    However, allow me to add my 2 cents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVaiRLDM628
  • Options
    Pap wrote:
    I saw Jimi Hendrix for $5.

I'm jealous and you are lucky. :)
    Thanks! And I know. :oops:
    I'm jealous of my husband. He saw Blind Faith!
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Heisenberg wrote:
    To Each his own but this might be one of the most musically confused threads I've ever seen.

I agree.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote:

One of my favorite clips! :thumbup:
    And I agree with the Dude.
  • Options
    He saw Blind Faith!
    Please don't tell me that you or your husband saw Bob Marley live...
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Pap wrote:
    He saw Blind Faith!
    Please don't tell me that you or your husband saw Bob Marley live...
    Unfortunately not.
    We are both big fans but Bob never toured anywhere close to where we lived. :(
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I cant really think of any. Sure theres some I dont really care for but I wouldn't say i dont like them. I respect all of the classic rock bands.

I DO think Led Zep is overrated though. I like them but I think Hendrix, The Who, Rolling Stones, are all better.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I DO think Led Zep is overrated though. I like them but I think Hendrix, The Who, Rolling Stones, are all better.

You're wrong on every count.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    NTALARA...... :evil:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    [quote="whoprincessWe are both big fans but Bob never toured anywhere close to where we lived. :(

:cry:

"dimitrispearljam"]NTALARA...... :evil:

:lol: Kazantzidi :lol:
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    I pretty much agree with kenny olav. They are classic bands for a reason.

I think the only band mentioned that I hate is U2, but I don't really classify them as classic. To me classic rock bands are from the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

That's not to say that there aren't any bands already mentioned that I don't connect with. Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead fit that for me, but I don't hate them either.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

You're wrong on every count.
    ---yeah, zeppelin can never be overrated, .... but, there aren't many better than Hendrix, man...and at his age when he died.!! The accomplishments just cannot be bested....but led zeppelin---come on
    they are GODS of ROCK. Not to minimize the Stones...(not a fan of the Who)...but Hendrix outbeats the Stones anytime, anywhere..(and I adore the Stones, for the record.)
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    KM43590 wrote:
    I had the day off sick from work today, and I've been watching some of VH1's 100 Greatest Artists, and it inspired me to make a list of my LEAST favorite classic bands and artists.

I know some of these might get me in trouble, or even might be considered blasphemy, but I was never able to like these bands for one reason or another and in my opinion some of them are just bad.

I'm curious if I'm the only one who doesn't like some of these bands, and what are some bands that you people can't stand that might otherwise be considered "The Greatest" to the majority of music fans.

I thought it would fun to hear some opinions, thanks! Here's my list, (In no certain order):

Pink Floyd
    Grateful Dead
    Bruce Springsteen
    U2
    Kiss
    James Brown
    The Ramones
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    The Doors
    Bob Dylan
    The Clash
    David Bowie
    Bob Marley
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Neil Young
    Van Halen
    Elvis Costello
    Aerosmith
    Sex Pistols

:shock: :? ;) :ugeek: :lol:

You pretty much named some of the greatest rock and roll artists of all time. I am sorry, but you should really try to 95 percent of the bands on your list a second chance w/ few exceptions like U2 becaue they suck.
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    led zeppelin
    the rolling stones
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    BRUCE, u2, the stones, zeppelin...just to name a few....never suck!! what is the problem??
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I'd ask the OP what classic bands/artists they do like?!

Personally I don't care for much by the Beatles, but the Stones, Zeppelin, The Clash, Dylan?! :o Like it or not, many of todays bands simply wouldn't exist if it wasn't for a lot of those bands.
  • Options

Personally I don't care for much by the Beatles, but the Stones, Zeppelin, The Clash, Dylan?! :o Like it or not, many of todays bands simply wouldn't exist if it wasn't for a lot of those bands.
    that doesn't mean fans should like those bands, now does it? one example is the who had a huge influence on the ramones, sex pistols and clash and pearl jam. should fans of those bands like the who just cause of the huge influence they had on said bands?

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,733
    Bands I respect, understand their popularity, but simply don't like
    The Rolling Stones
    Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
    U2
    ZZ Top

Bands who despite their greatness, I only like a few songs
    The Who
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    Queen
    Neil Young

Bands I flat-out hate
    The Eagles
    Genesis
    The Police
    Sex Pistols
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    for those who dont get the Led Zep hype, please listen and tell me this isnt one of the greatest rock & roll songs of all time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbJQT2eDseA
    or if that doesnt float your boat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x197VN52v6w&feature=fvst
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    metsfan wrote:

that doesn't mean fans should like those bands, now does it? one example is the who had a huge influence on the ramones, sex pistols and clash and pearl jam. should fans of those bands like the who just cause of the huge influence they had on said bands?

I don't think anyone "should" like a band just 'because', but often times you can listen to an older band who you never related to one of your favourite bands, and suddenly have an 'ah ha' moment, which can then have a kind of snowball effect.

I do see your point though. I guess I'm more surprised by the breadth of genres listed, and I ask again, what older bands does the OP like? For me personally, I got to an age where bands that once seemed current were starting to stagnate, nothing 'new' was coming out, so the logical thing was to look back to older bands - and the classic bands (some of whom were listed) have lasted for a reason.........
  • Options

I don't think anyone "should" like a band just 'because', but often times you can listen to an older band who you never related to one of your favourite bands, and suddenly have an 'ah ha' moment, which can then have a kind of snowball effect.

I do see your point though. I guess I'm more surprised by the breadth of genres listed, and I ask again, what older bands does the OP like? For me personally, I got to an age where bands that once seemed current were starting to stagnate, nothing 'new' was coming out, so the logical thing was to look back to older bands - and the classic bands (some of whom were listed) have lasted for a reason.........
    i would never relate the who as being a huge influence on basically the 3 main bands of punk music. the who had very little punk in them.

i just laughed at the OP to be honest with you. those are the founding rock bands of rock. it's like someone being a country fan and hating johnny cash. to each is their own but sometimes you gotta wonder if people are just looking to a rise outta other people on here or if they really hate those bands.

• Options
    for those who dont get the Led Zep hype, please listen and tell me this isnt one of the greatest rock & roll songs of all time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbJQT2eDseA
    Yeah, that is a great one. As I said Zep has some songs I like and that's definitely one of them.
    They're just not a band that I can spend a lot of time listening to.
  • Options

Bands I flat-out hate
    The Police

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBzLXvpd4jQ&feature=related 2:58 :)
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    This is the stupidest thread ever.

Makes me embarrassed to be a Pearl Jam fan. :oops:
    #FHP
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    metsfan wrote:
    i would never relate the who as being a huge influence on basically the 3 main bands of punk music. the who had very little punk in them.

They were a big influence on them, no doubt, I think the info could be found in countless interviews and articles about punk rock. Besides that, alot of early Who sounds pretty punky, if not in attitude then in the actual music. I've always thought that the smashing of instruments was very punk rock.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

They were a big influence on them, no doubt, I think the info could be found in countless interviews and articles about punk rock. Besides that, alot of early Who sounds pretty punky, if not in attitude then in the actual music. I've always thought that the smashing of instruments was very punk rock.
    With this I agree. I might not have thought of these bands as sounding very Who-ish but they regularly cited The Who as an influence.
  • Options
    Birdman77Birdman77 Posts: 21
    The Rolling Stones
    U2
    ZZ Top

The Who
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    Queen
    Neil Young

Bands I flat-out hate
    The Eagles
    Genesis
    The Police
    Sex Pistols

I like the way you expressed this, I will use (steal) the same format.

U2
    Bob Dylan - sounds like a kazoo

The Beatles - the songs that I like, I love, but the rest I just can't get into
    Nirvana - not sure if this counts, they have been around for 20+ years, but I really only like a couple of their songs
    Led Zeppelin
    The Who
    Pink Floyd

Bands I flat-out hate
    AC/DC
    Sex Pistols
    Van Halen
    Rush

Maybe I have no taste, or whatever, but I just can't force myself to enjoy this stuff simply because they are considered to be "classic". I like "The Money Pit".