Options

I hate to say that Ed is a hypocrite, but...

Comments

• Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Well they can drive 4 cylinder corollas instead of SUVs, Ed can't tour in a Corolla

Ed could travel to the venue in a smaller car. I have seen the band get picked up after shows in two or three SUVs.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    rrivers wrote:
    We can't pass judgement, but Ed can on the people in the SUVs?

On a serious note, I hope the tropical storm misses you. I grew up in New Orleans and I remember going through what you are many times. It's not fun. God bless.

Thank you :)
    I think it's going to miss us though, probably get some tropical storm strength winds but nothing more than that it seems, I'm just waiting for the 2am advisory to see is that cone has moved or stayed within its course..
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    digster wrote:
    This is certainly a valid point, especially when you consider that major band national (and global) tours are some of the most energy-using undertakings in the world of entertainment. Think of the countless numbers of buses, planes, amps, etc. Now, this isn't to condemn all of rock music, because how else where you going to do it? But I think that since many rock bands and artists (including Eddie Vedder) have become spokespeople for numerous environmental awareness programs, I think it could be considered somewhat hypocritical if these artists spoke out but did not take significant steps to curtail their own waste. Now, I hope that Eddie has followed Uncle Neil's lead, for example; he runs his tour buses on biodiesel. However, at United Palace I waited on line right next to the buses for approximately forty-five minutes on the line in, and the buses ran the entire time. Now, I think this argument that Eddie shouldn't be criticized because nobody's perfect is a bit exaggerated. Of course nobody's perfect; hell, the sinner that I am, two days ago I accidentally threw out a glass bottle in the trash. I am not perfect. But especially considering how much Eddie and the band have spoken about this issue, I think if this tour is blatantly wasting energy (i.e. letting five buses run for hours expending massive amounts of gas) it's a perfectly valid criticism. PJ is lucky to be a band that has the means to be at the vanguard, because big rock artists need to be the first ones to change their act, considering (as I said) the typically wasteful nature of the profession.

One band that has done better than any other in this regard is Radiohead. They, unlike many artists (including at times Eddie and PJ) have really stepped up with their most recent tour, doing as best they can to offset their footprint. They're doing all the little things that no one has ever thought to do, i.e. shipping their equipment instead of flying it, buses not running on gas, etc. etc.

Well said. I applaud Eddie and Pearl Jam for all they have done. I was just agreeing that it was hypocritical like the OP said.

This sums up my feelings: "But especially considering how much Eddie and the band have spoken about this issue, I think if this tour is blatantly wasting energy (i.e. letting five buses run for hours expending massive amounts of gas) it's a perfectly valid criticism."

Good night all.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    alexers wrote:
    WHYYY NO HELLOOO OUTLAWWW. sheeeesh.

kidding :)
    I saw too many people with bandanas on ;)
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Ed could travel to the venue in a smaller car. I have seen the band get picked up after shows in two or three SUVs.

Yeah but what is he is living off of his bus?
    I just can't imagine Ed, being as involved as he is with the environment, just running his buses irresponsibly not giving 2 shits about it, there has got to be valid reason why he can't turn those buses off.
  • Options
    Yeah but what is he is living off of his bus?
    I just can't imagine Ed, being as involved as he is with the environment, just running his buses irresponsibly not giving 2 shits about it, there has got to be valid reason why he can't turn those buses off.
    yeah, like I said, there are probably appliances on the buses that require it to be turned on to use them.
  • Options
    Maybe someone should ask Ed about this next time he does a Q&A :D
  • Options
    By the way, Pearl Jam usually goes to great lengths -- out of their own pockets -- to offset their carbon emissions for each tour. I'd assume Ed does the same on his own tour.

That's something he doesn't have to do, but does anyway. He puts his money where his mouth is. Do you?
    Pretty sad, yet not unexpected, that you posted this and it was all but ignored for the sake of keeping an argument going?

http://www.biodiversityscience.org/xp/CELB/partners/org/pearljam.xml
    "Our partnership with the band Pearl Jam is focused on several Conservation Carbon projects that are supporting reforestation efforts in Ecuador’s critically endangered rainforests and protecting Madagascar’s last remaining primary forests. These efforts are helping to conserve biodiversity, reduce greenhouse emissions and promote sustainable livelihoods.

In 2008, Pearl Jam offset its CO2 emissions from the band’s 2007 concert tour. The offsets again came from the Ecuadorian carbon offset project that will help to restore degraded tropical forests in the northwestern part of the country.

In 2006, Pearl Jam offset emissions associated with the band’s 2006 concert tour, which was used to restore almost 30 hectares of degraded tropical forests in northwestern Ecuador. As this regenerated forest grows, it will absorb more than 6,000 tons of CO2 emissions over the next 30 years, provide habitat protection for endangered plant and animal species as well as direct support for local communities.

Pearl Jam also offset the 5,700 tons of CO2 emissions generated by their 2003 concert tour through an investment in CI’s Conservation Carbon program. This funding supported a joint project between CI and the Wildlife Conservation Society to protect rain forests in northeastern Madagascar.

In 2002, Pearl Jam performed two benefit shows in Seattle in an effort to raise money for several non-profit organizations, including CI, with the intention that the funds would be used to establish a replicable model for other bands to become "carbon neutral.""
  • Options
    Jango wrote:
    Pretty sad, yet not unexpected, that you posted this and it was all but ignored for the sake of keeping an argument going?

"Our partnership with the band Pearl Jam is focused on several Conservation Carbon projects that are supporting reforestation efforts in Ecuador’s critically endangered rainforests and protecting Madagascar’s last remaining primary forests. These efforts are helping to conserve biodiversity, reduce greenhouse emissions and promote sustainable livelihoods.

In 2008, Pearl Jam offset its CO2 emissions from the band’s 2007 concert tour. The offsets again came from the Ecuadorian carbon offset project that will help to restore degraded tropical forests in the northwestern part of the country.

In 2006, Pearl Jam offset emissions associated with the band’s 2006 concert tour, which was used to restore almost 30 hectares of degraded tropical forests in northwestern Ecuador. As this regenerated forest grows, it will absorb more than 6,000 tons of CO2 emissions over the next 30 years, provide habitat protection for endangered plant and animal species as well as direct support for local communities.

Pearl Jam also offset the 5,700 tons of CO2 emissions generated by their 2003 concert tour through an investment in CI’s Conservation Carbon program. This funding supported a joint project between CI and the Wildlife Conservation Society to protect rain forests in northeastern Madagascar.

In 2002, Pearl Jam performed two benefit shows in Seattle in an effort to raise money for several non-profit organizations, including CI, with the intention that the funds would be used to establish a replicable model for other bands to become "carbon neutral.""

Thanks for posting this :D
  • Options
    Ed is just like Al Gore and all the Hollywood frauds....do as I say, not as I do.
  • Options
    Ed is just like Al Gore and all the Hollywood frauds....do as I say, not as I do.
    let me guess... you're one of those people who just ignore the actual issues and excuse them by simply pointing out that the 'celebrity' is 'flawed'...

sure thing.
  • Options

Maybe we should repost this for you:

http://www.biodiversityscience.org/x...g/pearljam.xml

Sometimes I wonder if some of guys post only to get a rise outta people :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Jango wrote:

OP and rrivers just got OWNED.
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    Maybe we should repost this for you:

http://www.biodiversityscience.org/x...g/pearljam.xml

Sometimes I wonder if some of guys post only to get a rise outta people :rolleyes:

I don't really understand this line of reasoning, to be honest...I don't see anyone here doubting Pearl Jam's committment to these issues and the steps they've taken to curtail their problematic footprint (from issues and initiatives, from my corner Stone really seems to have his hands involved in this issue and seem very committed), and this shows that there is no doubt that PJ has done very good work. However, wasted energy is wasted energy. As a complete hypothetical, let's say I donate 500 dollars in one month to an environmental awareness and climate change prevention program devoted to restoring tropical forests. Does that therefore mean that it's not a completely wasteful thing to run my air conditioner all day for a week, even if I'm not there most of the time? Of course not, wasted energy is wasted energy whether you a constant gas guzzler or not, and steps should be taken to prevent it.

Donating to tropical forest re-establishment and playing benefit concerts is great, but I would think that the best option of all is to not do the damage in the first place. Of course, this isn't limited to Eddie; we all have to commit to this, but that means he like everyone else is not immune from it either. Like someone said earlier, if a friend or acquaintance of mine was running their buses and vans all day needlessly, and if it was gas used in those buses, I would consider it a wasteful use of energy, no matter how much money they'd given away.
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    I don't really understand this line of reasoning, to be honest...I don't see anyone here doubting Pearl Jam's committment to these issues and the steps they've taken to curtail their problematic footprint (from issues and initiatives, from my corner Stone really seems to have his hands involved in this issue and seem very committed), and this shows that there is no doubt that PJ has done very good work. However, wasted energy is wasted energy. As a complete hypothetical, let's say I donate 500 dollars in one month to an environmental awareness and climate change prevention program devoted to restoring tropical forests. Does that therefore mean that it's not a completely wasteful thing to run my air conditioner all day for a week, even if I'm not there most of the time? Of course not, wasted energy is wasted energy whether you a constant gas guzzler or not, and steps should be taken to prevent it.

Donating to tropical forest re-establishment and playing benefit concerts is great, but I would think that the best option of all is to not do the damage in the first place. Of course, this isn't limited to Eddie; we all have to commit to this, but that means he like everyone else is not immune from it either. Like someone said earlier, if a friend or acquaintance of mine was running their buses and vans all day needlessly, and if it was gas used in those buses, I would consider it a wasteful use of energy, no matter how much money they'd given away.

but how can you guys 100% attribute this as wasted energy...
    Do you guys know the reasons why this bus was running?
    Do you guys know whether Ed lives off this bus most of the time?
    Is there appliances that need to run, if there food that needs refrigeration? Was there people in the bus?
    How can you guys have an opinion on this when you guys have no clue of the reasons behing the bus running? :confused:

Anyways I hope ya'll have a good night, it seems I will have to wait for the Tropical Storm advisory until 5am so Ima hit the sack.

Night.
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    Mr. Vedder hates technology yet has an iPhone.. hmm

I don't worship the mans words as some people do hear the OP has a valid point yet other people who pointed out that. . . Vedder does a lot for the environment and such

Either way as someone stated we are all hypocrites at some juncture
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    of all the things to bitch about that happen in dc...

The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever. Because this is just a ride." And we...kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok? But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
    --Bill Hicks
  • Options
    hey ed, if you come done here to the south, i'll let you borrow my bike.
    nov.93 sept.95 aug.00 april.03 may.06 ,chicago2
  • Options
    rasty10rasty10 Posts: 68
    For some reason the engine has to be running...when I played hockey at different places, the bus driver kept it on the whole game...this happened throughout my career on numerous different teams...
    why is he riding around on a bus anyway...I'm waiting for the moped to make a splash in the US...nothing better than a classic Vespa!
    96-Prague
    98-Camden
    03-Camden
    06-Prague, Berlin, Vienna, Zagreb
    07-Katowice
    08-NYC I/II, Hartford, Mansfield I/II
  • Options
    nobodynobody Posts: 353
    I read somewhere that radiohead's tour bus had its engine running throughout the whole day of the concert...so there really might be a reason for that...maybe to keep the fridge going or something;)
    Godwin's Law:
    "As an internet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I don't know how people know so much about the band's tour buses, when they run, how they run, and what they run on. I never even see the damn things - I'm usually just rushing to find the 10 club window and get to the show.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    don't sweat all this "carbon footprint" bullshit.it is pseudo science and a fucking SHAM!!!

the only thing making this planet hotter IS THE SUN!!!

one major volcanic eruption spews more carbon in the air than the last 100 yrs of all of mankind combined!

don't let the media & Al gore snow you!!

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2007/11/07/weather-channel-founder-global-warming-greatest-scam-history
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Yeah, because none of us who drive cars and spew emissions are ever allowed to talk about stuff like that. How dare we!!

The Amish are the only ones who should make such comments. Good point!

:rolleyes:

We are all hypocrites to some degree, Ed included. Stop holding him to higher standards than the rest of us.

I am sure the SUVs were a distraction from the natural beauty he was enjoying. Did you not want him to come to your town and play, or not tell that story?

bump
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    jackwvuujackwvuu Posts: 42
    we're missing something here....does anyone think those buses weren't running on biodiesel, because i would be really surprised if they weren't
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,776
    Of course, they could always just not tour. That would solve the problem.

Here's some information some may find helpful. xo

http://www.pearljam.com/activism/carbon.php
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Kat wrote:
    Of course, they could always just not tour. That would solve the problem.

Here's some information some may find helpful. xo

Maybe this time they'll listen, we've been mentioning this since the argument started but many seem to chose to ignore it for the sake of keeping the argument going :confused:

No more touring? :eek: .... NO WAY!!! ;)
  • Options
    ofthegirl75ofthegirl75 New Jersey Posts: 300
    I'm sure he wasn't. But being his buses, he is responsible for them. And two huge tour buses use up very little gas when running for hours and hours? Ha.

I think they run to use the AC. We were walking around and it was hot. I guess it was for whomever was on the bus.

What bothers me more are all the plastic cups at the show- not to mention the thousands of plastic bottles I saw laying all over the city and in the trash. No recycling!
  • Options
    morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    Ok, so one thought at tonight's show came to mind. I know that everyone jumps on anyone who challenges the Gospel according to Vedder, but this remark jumped out at me. It was Ed's story about paddling down the Potomac, feeling the beauty of the city, and then in there he made a comment about seeing SUVs and vans on the roads from the river, thus taking away from the experience a bit; a snap to reality if you will. Well, what irks me about Mr. Environmentalist, is that throughout the day, taking in the touristy stuff of DC, I probably passed Eddie's tour buses a good 3 or 4 times; over the course of probably 5 hours. His two buses parked out on the side of the road were running every single time I passed it. The engines roared. How's that for a carbon footprint?

Just saying...

I'm not on the same page with our Edward on alot of issues. That said, you really can't fault this band on charity work, or environmental issues. They do a TON both with money and awareness. Seems to me your analogy on this subject is a bit of a stretch.
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • Options
    jackwvu wrote:
    we're missing something here....does anyone think those buses weren't running on biodiesel, because i would be really surprised if they weren't

That's what I was thinking last night, I mean we have NO details (not even one) about Ed's or Pearl Jam's touring for that matter so how can anyone say it's a waste of energy, or as you mention how do we know they are not running on biodiesel (specially knowing how involved they are with not harming the environment)......

IMO I think that some want to stick to thinking he runs his 2 big buses only because he can (and there must not be any other logical reason) and therefore he must be a hypocrite.. :confused:
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,776

2006 - This year we expanded their program to encompass a broader range of clean air solutions. In addition to the Carbon Portfolio Strategy, we are working to offset carbon emissions from their 2006 US tour by using B100 - pure bio-diesel - in all production trucks and in our tour buses. B100 reduces emissions of carbon monoxide by approximately 50% and carbon dioxide by 78% on a net lifecycle basis. In contrast to fossil fuels, which release new carbon previously sequestered in the earth's crust, the carbon in B100 emissions is recycled from carbon already present in the atmosphere.
    Falling down,...not staying down