Options

I hate to say that Ed is a hypocrite, but...

Comments

• Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    rrivers wrote:
    He agrees with Ed in his SUV comment.

I do too.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    I do too.

You agree it's ok to complain about SUVs ruining your view when you have two huge gas guzzling tour buses running for 12 hours. Makes a lot of sense.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    rrivers wrote:
    It is a valid question. It's a shame no one else can open their mind enough to see that.
    Have you ever left your car running. You're not allowed to talk about going green then, because you too are guilty. :p

I think the poster has a valid point, but it's kind of petty. We've all done things wasteful at some point.

Ed won't be perfect until he gets solar powered buses.
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    maybe there is equipment in the buses that need power? i know that when a grocery store receives frozen/refrigerated product, the trailer has an engine that powers the refrigeration.

how do you know his buses are not running on vegetable oil?=p
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    You agree it's ok to complain about SUVs ruining your view when you have two huge gas guzzling tour buses running for 12 hours. Makes a lot of sense.

I dont think he was bitching about the SUV's ruining his view, I think he geared his comment towards the fact that he was enjoying nature and seeing the SUV's snapped him back into reality and how the beauty of our environment in all different parts of the world is being ruined by the ones who live in it.

I doubt that he was bothered solely because the SUV ruined his view :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Have you ever left your car running. You're not allowed to talk about going green then, because you too are guilty. :p

I think the poster has a valid point, but it's kind of petty. We've all done things wasteful at some point.

Ed won't be perfect until he gets solar powered buses.

I have never left my car running for hours, no.

It's just as petty as Ed's comments.
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,367
    Perhaps the buses are using biofuels.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Vehicles need to be running in order for the air conditioning to operate...

And as I said in the other thread, yeah, you can feel pretty righteous when you're out and about on your paddle board. I feel the same way..."stupd boats polluting everything - I have to take my board through your damn oil spill and diesel..."

However, I need my SUV to get my board to the ocean and back...and if my parents rang me up and invited me for a ride in their boat (a cabin cruiser), I'd say "Sure!"

I carpool to work, so that offsets my carbon footprint...but yeah, I can feel quite superior on my board sometimes...not using any fuel but my own...But I am humbled by my surroundings. I can see where Ed is coming from...

PS. I believe most tour buses run on biodiesel....
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I have never left my car running for hours, no.

It's just as petty as Ed's comments.
    Seriously though, how do we know Ed knew the buses were running? He doesn't drive them, does he?
  • Options
    I dont think he was bitching about the SUV's ruining his view, I think he geared his comment towards the fact that he was enjoying nature and seeing the SUV's snapped him back into reality and how the beauty of our environment in all different parts of the world is being ruined by the ones who live in it.

I doubt that he was bothered solely because the SUV ruined his view :rolleyes:

I'm sure he specifically mentioned the SUVs because they use so much gas, which makes the original posters point all the more valid.
  • Options
    Seriously though, how do we know Ed knew the buses were running? He doesn't drive them, does he?

The last few Pearl Jam concerts I have been to I have seen them outside the venue running and when I saw Ed twice on his west coast tour they were running both times. Pretty sure he knows they are running.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I'm sure he specifically mentioned the SUVs because they use so much gas, which makes the original posters point all the more valid.

of course he did!

So let me get this clear, in your opinion then only those who don't pollute the environment (I guess the Amish as aNiMaL mentioned earlier) can talk about saving it?
    The rest of us then are just a bunch of hypocrites?
    You guys dont even know the reasons why those buses were running for so many hours, and like someone else mentioned, Pearl Jam and I'm sure Ed does to have given money off of their own pockets to invest in environmental projects to try and offset their carbon footprint so I think that when they invest to try and make up for what they do, they can talk all they want about those who just pollute and do absolutely nothing to help..
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    The last few Pearl Jam concerts I have been to I have seen them outside the venue running and when I saw Ed twice on his west coast tour they were running both times. Pretty sure he knows they are running.
    It's pretty hot. Turn those buses off and it will be 110 degrees inside.. I'm sure there's a reason they were on and if not, well, fuck Ed. :)
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    rrivers wrote:
    It's silly because it's in conflict with what almighty Vedder says. His complaint is just as silly.

I drive cars that get low gas mileage. I don't get on stage every night and bitch about cars driving down the road either. Do you?

You really need to cut that "almight Vedder" shit out. You want to argue a point, argue a point. No need to resort to these kind of straw man arguments. It's really childish.

I voted for Bush (twice) and will probably vote McCain in November. How's that for taking cues from the "Almighty Vedder?"

I think the original poster's point is silly because it's silly. Plain and simple. It's like grasping at straws for things to bitch about.

Ed rides around in tour buses. His drivers leave them running constantly, to keep them cool probably. For all we know, there are people on the buses while they are running.

It doesn't make Ed a hypocrite any more than any other human being.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    of course he did!

So let me get this clear, in your opinion then only those who don't pollute the environment (I guess the Amish as aNiMaL mentioned earlier) can talk about saving it?
    The rest of us then are just a bunch of hypocrites?
    You guys dont even know the reasons why those buses were running for so many hours, and like someone else mentioned, Pearl Jam and I'm sure Ed does to have given money off of their own pockets to invest in environmental projects to try and offset their carbon footprint so I think that when they invest to try and make up for what they do, they can talk all they want about those who just pollute and do absolutely nothing to help..

And just because you do spread awareness it shouldn't mean you get a free pass on having two buses run through fuel for the better portion of a day.

It's always pointed out when Ed does great things, and he does. I'm just pointing out an observation of him being a part of something he talks out against. I'm sure he didn't mean it, but he sounded so condescending to people who were using suvs like they were part of the problem. I realized he admitted to driving back, but he didn't mention that he was doing worse than any of those drivers were doing. Like I said in the first post, I'm just saying.
  • Options

Ed rides around in tour buses. His drivers leave them running constantly, to keep them cool probably. For all we know, there are people on the buses while they are running.

I think this is completely possible...
    The OP is bitching about something he has knowledge on...
    Does he know for sure there is no people in that bus? And if there is people in there should they just sweat bullets then?

I just think the whole argument is really dumb, not because of the point the OP is trying to make but because he doesn't have enough information to have an opinion on why those tour buses are running all the time.. of course this all just IMO.
  • Options
    of course he did!

It rings pretty hollow when someone is bitching about it and at the same time blatantly polluting. Again I didn't say someone has to not pollute, just not be pumping pollutants right outside the venue where he is bitching.

I wouldn't expect someone with the name "Mrs. Vedder" to find fault with that though.
  • Options
    Does he know for sure there is no people in that bus? And if there is people in there should they just sweat bullets then?

I just think the whole argument is really dumb, not because of the point the OP is trying to make but because he doesn't have enough information to have an opinion on why those tour buses are running all the time.. of course this all just IMO.

I know two things. Ed criticized SUV drivers. Ed's two tour buses were running during a stand still for an incredibly long period of time. I think that's more than enough info to point out my observation in what I heard from Ed and what I saw from something owned by him.
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    Ok, so one thought at tonight's show came to mind. I know that everyone jumps on anyone who challenges the Gospel according to Vedder, but this remark jumped out at me. It was Ed's story about paddling down the Potomac, feeling the beauty of the city, and then in there he made a comment about seeing SUVs and vans on the roads from the river, thus taking away from the experience a bit; a snap to reality if you will. Well, what irks me about Mr. Environmentalist, is that throughout the day, taking in the touristy stuff of DC, I probably passed Eddie's tour buses a good 3 or 4 times; over the course of probably 5 hours. His two buses parked out on the side of the road were running every single time I passed it. The engines roared. How's that for a carbon footprint?

Just saying...
    ...wait, no I don't. I just don't give a shit.

Ed has just as much right to complain about the SUVs taking away from the scenery as you do complaining about his buses, but blaming him for the buses is where a line is drawn.
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    I know two things. Ed criticized SUV drivers. Ed's two tour buses were running during a stand still for an incredibly long period of time. I think that's more than enough info to point out my observation in what I heard from Ed and what I saw from something owned by him.
    Perhaps his buses needed to be on for a reason though? A tour bus is not an ordinary bus, there may be appliances in it that can only be used when the bus is on or something- I don't know. still, this is a useless complaint.
  • Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492
    _outlaw wrote:
    Perhaps his buses needed to be on for a reason though? A tour bus is not an ordinary bus, there may be appliances in it that can only be used when the bus is on or something- I don't know. still, this is a useless complaint.

WHYYY NO HELLOOO OUTLAWWW. sheeeesh.

kidding :)
  • Options
    You really need to cut that "almight Vedder" shit out. You want to argue a point, argue a point. No need to resort to these kind of straw man arguments. It's really childish.

I voted for Bush (twice) and will probably vote McCain in November. How's that for taking cues from the "Almighty Vedder?"

I think the original poster's point is silly because it's silly. Plain and simple. It's like grasping at straws for things to bitch about.

It's not childish because, as I said, if it wasn't Vedder speaking from the stage and it was one of your friends complaining about SUVs while he kept his RV running for hours, you would say, "How can you complain about SUVs when your vehicle has been running all afternoon?" It is completely valid.

Running a tour bus all day to keep it cool, is not a good enough reason in my opinion (and I would guess Jeff Ament's-floor as well because he is the only other reasonable one here).
  • Options

It does make him a hypocrite which was the original poster's point. Thanks for backing it up.
  • Options

Oh I forgot Eddie Vedder has all the information he needs on those people he saw driving those SUVs.
  • Options
    And just because you do spread awareness it shouldn't mean you get a free pass on having two buses run through fuel for the better portion of a day.

It's always pointed out when Ed does great things, and he does. I'm just pointing out an observation of him being a part of something he talks out against. I'm sure he didn't mean it, but he sounded so condescending to people who were using suvs like they were part of the problem. I realized he admitted to driving back, but he didn't mention that he was doing worse than any of those drivers were doing. Like I said in the first post, I'm just saying.

The argument here IMO is, do you know why those buses were running all those hours while they were parked there?
    Do you know if there was any people in there?
    If you don't know what the situation is and why those buses were running how can you pass judgement?

For all we know this guy might be living off those buses and staying in Hotels only in certain cities, so do we know whether they have stuff in there that needs refregeration? Shit there can be 1,000 reasons why he has those buses running, maybe reasons that keep him from turning those buses off and that's why he tries to offset the damage he causes by engaging himself in environmental projects...

I mean I'm not losing sleep over this, I'm just waiting for the 2am tropical storm Fay advisory as I'm in Florida so I need to kill sometime.....:D
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Oh I forgot Eddie Vedder has all the information he needs on those people he saw driving those SUVs.

Well they can drive 4 cylinder corollas instead of SUVs, Ed can't tour in a Corolla
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

I wouldn't expect someone with the name "Mrs. Vedder" to find fault with that though.

Yeah that must be it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    When I've seen his tour bus parked outside, it has sounded like it's been running, but then at the end of the night when he left, they started the bus and left (clearly the sound of someone turning on a vehicle). I was told that the bus was using a generator, which was making the initial running sound, but I guess I don't know for sure.
  • Options
    The argument here IMO is, do you know why those buses were running all those hours while they were parked there?
    Do you know if there was any people in there?
    If you don't know what the situation is and why those buses were running how can you pass judgement?

For all we know this guy might be living off those buses and staying in Hotels only in certain cities, so do we know whether they have stuff in there that needs refregeration? Shit there can be 1,000 reasons why he has those buses running, maybe reasons that keep him from turning those buses off and that's why he tries to offset the damage he causes by engaging himself in environmental projects...

I mean I'm not losing sleep over this, I'm just waiting for the 2am tropical storm Fay advisory as I'm in Florida so I need to kill sometime.....:D

We can't pass judgement, but Ed can on the people in the SUVs?

On a serious note, I hope the tropical storm misses you. I grew up in New Orleans and I remember going through what you are many times. It's not fun. God bless.
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    This is certainly a valid point, especially when you consider that major band national (and global) tours are some of the most energy-using undertakings in the world of entertainment. Think of the countless numbers of buses, planes, amps, etc. Now, this isn't to condemn all of rock music, because how else where you going to do it? But I think that since many rock bands and artists (including Eddie Vedder) have become spokespeople for numerous environmental awareness programs, I think it could be considered somewhat hypocritical if these artists spoke out but did not take significant steps to curtail their own waste. Now, I hope that Eddie has followed Uncle Neil's lead, for example; he runs his tour buses on biodiesel. However, at United Palace I waited on line right next to the buses for approximately forty-five minutes on the line in, and the buses ran the entire time. Now, I think this argument that Eddie shouldn't be criticized because nobody's perfect is a bit exaggerated. Of course nobody's perfect; hell, the sinner that I am, two days ago I accidentally threw out a glass bottle in the trash. I am not perfect. But especially considering how much Eddie and the band have spoken about this issue, I think if this tour is blatantly wasting energy (i.e. letting five buses run for hours expending massive amounts of gas) it's a perfectly valid criticism. PJ is lucky to be a band that has the means to be at the vanguard, because big rock artists need to be the first ones to change their act, considering (as I said) the typically wasteful nature of the profession.

One band that has done better than any other in this regard is Radiohead. They, unlike many artists (including at times Eddie and PJ) have really stepped up with their most recent tour, doing as best they can to offset their footprint. They're doing all the little things that no one has ever thought to do, i.e. shipping their equipment instead of flying it, buses not running on gas, etc. etc.