Options

I hate to say that Ed is a hypocrite, but...

Comments

• Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Kat wrote:
    http://www.pearljam.com/activism/carbon.php

2006 - This year we expanded their program to encompass a broader range of clean air solutions. In addition to the Carbon Portfolio Strategy, we are working to offset carbon emissions from their 2006 US tour by using B100 - pure bio-diesel - in all production trucks and in our tour buses. B100 reduces emissions of carbon monoxide by approximately 50% and carbon dioxide by 78% on a net lifecycle basis. In contrast to fossil fuels, which release new carbon previously sequestered in the earth's crust, the carbon in B100 emissions is recycled from carbon already present in the atmosphere.

Oh shit! I must've been half asleep yesterday, can you believe I read that like 3 times looking for any bio-diesel info and only God knows how I missed it!
    Then again it was 2am that I was up waiting too see that this tropical storm would bring us here in South Florida and arguing in this thread :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    Ed does more for the environment than just about anybody on this earth.

I love hearing conservatives whine about ed's whining.

Difference between Ed and them. Ed does something about. Cons bury their heads in the sand...
  • Options
    Stop saying I'm ignoring that Ed does a lot. I mentioned a few times now that it's great that he does a lot. But like it was said before, wasted energy is wasted energy. Everyone nods there heads in agreement and applause like sheep when he bashes the SUVs yet when he is the one having those buses, I get jumped on for pointing out my issue with him. And then people don't see this as a valid criticism. This place is worse than I thought with the Ed is infallible stuff. You give every benefit of the doubt to Ed for having a bus run for hours, yet he makes the enemy out of SUV drivers. Come on now. I'm not saying the guy is a monster or that his good work in the matter means nothing now. I'm pointing out this one particular instance and expressing my problem. Why people are giving him every benefit of the doubt, every excuse, every pass, even choosing to simply not care about it, that is simply beyond me.
  • Options
    Stop saying I'm ignoring that Ed does a lot. I mentioned a few times now that it's great that he does a lot. But like it was said before, wasted energy is wasted energy. Everyone nods there heads in agreement and applause like sheep when he bashes the SUVs yet when he is the one having those buses, I get jumped on for pointing out my issue with him. And then people don't see this as a valid criticism. This place is worse than I thought with the Ed is infallible stuff. You give every benefit of the doubt to Ed for having a bus run for hours, yet he makes the enemy out of SUV drivers. Come on now. I'm not saying the guy is a monster or that his good work in the matter means nothing now. I'm pointing out this one particular instance and expressing my problem. Why people are giving him every benefit of the doubt, every excuse, every pass, even choosing to simply not care about it, that is simply beyond me.

You can have whatever opinion you like, just like me or the next guy.
    What I don't understand is, you know for sure that this is wasted energy? and if you do, please explain.
    You are not leaving any room to the possibility that he cannot turn them off.
    Not touring would be the answer to your complain if you are not willing to consider the fact that he NEEDS to run his buses while their standing and that he doesn't run them just because he can.
  • Options
    You can have whatever opinion you like, just like me or the next guy.
    What I don't understand is, you know for sure that this is wasted energy? and if you do, please explain.
    You are not leaving any room to the possibility that he cannot turn them off.
    Not touring would be the answer to your complain if you are not willing to consider the fact that he NEEDS to run his buses while their standing and that he doesn't run them just because he can.

Honestly, it's because I personally can't think of a reason why those buses need to run all the time that is absolutely necessary for Ed to tour. Can you? A/C or appliance usage just doesn't seem absolutely necessary to me. If there was an absolutely unavoidable situation where if these buses weren't running there would be no tour, then maybe I'd be a little more understanding. But I can't think of it.
  • Options

and you are still to comment on the fact that they don't run their buses on regular fuel, if they took those measures to make sure that don't affect the environment more than they need to, why on earth will Ed or the band run the bus unnecessarily? You would think that there is a reason for it other than wasting energy just for fun!
  • Options
    People are jumping on you because your calling them sheep.

there are people who don't know vedder and at all and would defend him if they knew what he was doing, but this is a friggin pj board.

We aren't sheep for following Ed because we happen to agree with him. duh!

People like Ed and us realize you do what you can and minimize everywhere you can. Yet we also realize we have to live in modern society.

Once you realize they have their own thoughts and aren't Ed worshipers you might get somewhere.

you must be sheep you follow everything Bush and Hannity say....
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    Ok, so one thought at tonight's show came to mind. I know that everyone jumps on anyone who challenges the Gospel according to Vedder, but this remark jumped out at me. It was Ed's story about paddling down the Potomac, feeling the beauty of the city, and then in there he made a comment about seeing SUVs and vans on the roads from the river, thus taking away from the experience a bit; a snap to reality if you will. Well, what irks me about Mr. Environmentalist, is that throughout the day, taking in the touristy stuff of DC, I probably passed Eddie's tour buses a good 3 or 4 times; over the course of probably 5 hours. His two buses parked out on the side of the road were running every single time I passed it. The engines roared. How's that for a carbon footprint?

Just saying...

I agree - love Ed to death - but definitely a hyprocrite in more ways than the one you mentioned.
  • Options
    Honestly, it's because I personally can't think of a reason why those buses need to run all the time that is absolutely necessary for Ed to tour. Can you? A/C or appliance usage just doesn't seem absolutely necessary to me. If there was an absolutely unavoidable situation where if these buses weren't running there would be no tour, then maybe I'd be a little more understanding. But I can't think of it.

I see what you are saying but the fact that you can't think of a reason doesnt mean it doesnt exist...

My argument is (in my opinion logical) this band goes to great lengths to try and offset their damage to the environment and as many of us including Kat have pointed out they have taken measures to make sure that what they do when touring affects the environment the least possible.....
    if this is their frame of mind, you really really think that Ed would run those buses if he didn't absolutely need to? If he runs them all that time is because he has to, the fact that you and I don't know the reason behind it means nothing.
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    you must be sheep you follow everything Bush and Hannity say....

Why does everyone assume I'm conservative? Hell, did I say anything conservative here? Sheesh.

Anyway, I call people "sheep" because they were right there agreeing with him when he made a comment about SUV drivers (who are obviously trying to deal with the issues of modern society as well) yet what he was doing looked about 1000x worse than that, and he gets every excuse for it.
  • Options
    Why does everyone assume I'm conservative? Hell, did I say anything conservative here? Sheesh.

Anyway, I call people "sheep" because they were right there agreeing with him when he made a comment about SUV drivers (who are obviously trying to deal with the issues of modern society as well) yet what he was doing looked about 1000x worse than that, and he gets every excuse for it.

obvioulsy you are. you agree with Bush.

baaaahhhhh
  • Options
    I see what you are saying but the fact that you can't think of a reason doesnt mean it doesnt exist...

My argument is (in my opinion logical) this band goes to great lengths to try and offset their damage to the environment and as many of us including Kat have pointed out they have taken measures to make sure that what they do when touring affects the environment the least possible.....
    if this is their frame of mind, you really really think that Ed would run those buses if he didn't absolutely need to? If he runs them all that time is because he has to, the fact that you and I don't know the reason behind it means nothing.

I hear you and I'm not trying to be the villain here. I would just love to hear what the reason is that's all. There just doesn't seem to be a completely unavoidable reason in my head so that's why I pointed this out to begin with.

And is it a fact that it is running on biodiesel or is that just speculation?
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    obvioulsy you are. you agree with Bush.

baaaahhhhh

Who agreed with Bush?
  • Options

"Posted by Kat (and a couple of more people yesterday night) http://www.pearljam.com/activism/carbon.php

2006 - This year we expanded their program to encompass a broader range of clean air solutions. In addition to the Carbon Portfolio Strategy, we are working to offset carbon emissions from their 2006 US tour by using B100 - pure bio-diesel - in all production trucks and in our tour buses. B100 reduces emissions of carbon monoxide by approximately 50% and carbon dioxide by 78% on a net lifecycle basis. In contrast to fossil fuels, which release new carbon previously sequestered in the earth's crust, the carbon in B100 emissions is recycled from carbon already present in the atmosphere."

This is why I refuse to agree with the fact that a band that will take these measures will run a tour bus for hours unless they absolutely need to.
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    I hear you and I'm not trying to be the villain here. I would just love to hear what the reason is that's all. There just doesn't seem to be a completely unavoidable reason in my head so that's why I pointed this out to begin with.

if you looked back - it says that in 2006 they started using biodiesel.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    rule no1 of this place is never ever disagree with what Ed says.

the fanatics will crucify you for it.

remember the Ed interview where he talks about how he spent ages bootlegging concerts he went to... then for his solo shows.... NO recording equipment.

in this case if Ed or PJ offset their emissions then i think thats admirable... the man needs to tour... and we need them to tour... so offsetting is the best way to combat the problem.

whats more hypocritical is that the many 100's of people who cheered at his SUV comments are probably the ones who dont give a fuck about emissions in the 1st place and would gladly cheer anything Ed said.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Who agreed with Bush?

I don't know you.

you don't know me.

you don't know anyone in this thread.

you don't know Ed

we are sheep.

Ed is a hypocrite.

bush is not an environmentalist.

you complain about Ed's hypocricy

so does bush.

you agree w/ Bush.

you must be reading from the gospel of Bush
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    dunkman wrote:
    whats more hypocritical is that the many 100's of people who cheered at his SUV comments are probably the ones who dont give a fuck about emissions in the 1st place and would gladly cheer anything Ed said.

So true, most will cheer just to cheer- and then go pick up their SUVs from the garage on the way home.
  • Options
    Ok, I'm glad to hear about biodiesel. That's definitely an effort to limit what they are doing. But I'll still turn my head when I see those things on the streets for hours and Ed bash an SUV. I don't know much about biodiesel but it still can't be good running for hours over an extended period of time. But still, it does make me feel a little bit better about it knowing this.

I'd still like the question of if it is unavoidable because that's a pretty big deal to me. For a lot of people, driving is unavoidable and so I'd like to hear Ed's reasoning for running when he didn't give a pass to these people.
  • Options
    Do you hear me? Do you care?

My lips are moving and the sound’s coming out
    The words are audible but I have my doubts
    That you realize what has been said

You look at me as if you’re in a daze
    It’s like the feeling at the end of the page when you realize
    You don’t know what you just read.

What are words for
    When no one listens anymore
    What are words for
    When no one listens
    There’s no use talking at all.

I might as well go up and talk to a wall
    Coz all the words are having no effect at all
    It’s a funny thing.. am I all alone?

Something has to happen to change the direction
    What little filters though is giving you the wrong impression
    “it’s a sorry state” I say to myself

What are words for
    What are words for
    When no one listens

Do you hear me? Do you care?

Let me get by over your dead body
    Hope to see you soon
    When will I know?
    Doors three feet wide with no locks open
    Walking always backwards in faces of strangers
    Time could be my friend
    But it’s less then nowhere now….

Pursue it any further and another thing you’ll find
    Not only are they deaf and dumb they could be going blind
    no one notices
    I think I’ll dye my hair blue.

Media overload bombarding you with action
    It’s getting near impossible to cause distraction
    someone answer me.. before I pull the plug.

What are words for
    What are words for
    When no one listens
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    rrivers wrote:
    He agrees with Ed in his SUV comment.
    I never said that. In fact I said that I agree he is a hypocrite, as we all are, and asked the original poster to not hold Ed to a higher standard than the rest of us.

Boy, you sure read into my posts what you wanted.
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Dont Be Sorry He Is Full Of Shit At Times
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    Ok, so one thought at tonight's show came to mind. I know that everyone jumps on anyone who challenges the Gospel according to Vedder, but this remark jumped out at me. It was Ed's story about paddling down the Potomac, feeling the beauty of the city, and then in there he made a comment about seeing SUVs and vans on the roads from the river, thus taking away from the experience a bit; a snap to reality if you will. Well, what irks me about Mr. Environmentalist, is that throughout the day, taking in the touristy stuff of DC, I probably passed Eddie's tour buses a good 3 or 4 times; over the course of probably 5 hours. His two buses parked out on the side of the road were running every single time I passed it. The engines roared. How's that for a carbon footprint?

Just saying...

Are you sure Ed's bus isn't running on a biofuel/alternate fuel? Was the bus running or the generator? Is Ed paying to offset his carbon footprint like PJ does on their tours?

The otherside of this is, if Ed's paying to offset his carbon footprint, who is he to assume that others aren't? Others that are driving the DC landscape in SUVs, etc...?

Also, you don't have to be perfect to want better for all, even if you have some word to do on yourself.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    jimlivesjimlives Posts: 48
    I read that PJ tour buss runs on bio diesel.
  • Options

The otherside of this is, if Ed's paying to offset his carbon footprint, who is he to assume that others aren't? Others that are driving the DC landscape in SUVs, etc...?

great point... Ed's moaning about all the SUV drivers and yet that man has no idea if they are offsetting their carbon... or that they live 70 miles away on a farmstead and they need 4x4... etc etc etc.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    rrivers wrote:
    Running a tour bus all day to keep it cool, is not a good enough reason in my opinion (and I would guess Jeff Ament's-floor as well because he is the only other reasonable one here).

I would bet that the buses were running on bio-diesel which pretty much negates this whole discussion.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    great point... Ed's moaning about all the SUV drivers and yet that man has no idea if they are offsetting their carbon... or that they live 70 miles away on a farmstead and they need 4x4... etc etc etc.

Yes. Great point, except he didn't name names. It is however safe to assume many are not and many don't.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:

I would bet that the buses were running on bio-diesel which pretty much negates this whole discussion.

no it doesnt... how does Ed know that the SUV he saw wasnt doing the same?
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:

They are, its on the 2006 press release
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    dunkman wrote:
    no it doesnt... how does Ed know that the SUV he saw wasnt doing the same?

Exactly or a hybrid or E80 SUV.....

but I forgot that Ed is always right.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.