Options

I hate to say that Ed is a hypocrite, but...

12346»

Comments

• Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    (from the same article)
    "Accountants, SUV dealers rush to capitalize
    Around the country, auto dealers such as "the Car Guy" Jerry Reynolds in Texas and hundreds of accountants and online tax management sites have been encouraging small business owners such as doctors, lawyers, and realtors to rush out and take advantage of this tax windfall. One advertisement from Dugan & Lopatka, an accounting firm in Wheaton, IL, reads, "Write-Off 100% of Your New SUV? Yes, If It’s Under 100,000!"

I wouldn't necessarily say that Doctors and Lawyers have the imminent need for this type of vehicles.

My question is why do they need "imminent need" in order to own an SUV???? This is a free society where people are free to make choices good and bad... who am I or anyone else to dictate why or how a person should choose???
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    How can you guys have an opinion on this when you guys have no clue of the reasons behing the bus running? :confused:
    Night.

As stated before, we have just as much information about the bus, as Ed has about the SUVs he saw on his boat ride.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    bernmodi wrote:
    Don't think so. Let the man tell what he wants. The point is, let's not take it as the Gospel according to Eddie. He's not our fucking messiah!

Couldn't agree more. He makes you think with his songs AND his comments. Can't have one without the other. It's all part of the package.
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    chromiam wrote:
    My question is why do they need "imminent need" in order to own an SUV???? This is a free society where people are free to make choices good and bad... who am I or anyone else to dictate why or how a person should choose???

I agree with that, in this society everyone has the choice of driving a HUMMER and use regular leaded fuel and give 2 shits about the environment. Nowhere have I disagreed with that.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I never said that. In fact I said that I agree he is a hypocrite, as we all are, and asked the original poster to not hold Ed to a higher standard than the rest of us.

Boy, you sure read into my posts what you wanted.

Sorry my mistake. I did read it wrong.
  • Options
    So your suggestion will be stop touring then I assume? :rolleyes:

No, just stop bitching about every SUV on the road.
  • Options
    eyecanwalkeyecanwalk Posts: 707
    how manyof you have even been on a tour bus? or better on tour? did you think his kid might have been on the bus with his wife? or the crew?
    you have no clue
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    didnt we just agree that people shouldnt make assumptions ;) where oh where did i say he should stop touring :confused:

no my suggestion will be for Ed to sing songs and not try and convert or preach to people in between those songs... he's a funny guy.. he should tell more funny stories... a 1 minute 5 second rant about SUV's OR a version of Lukin?

hmmmm the choice is easy :D

My suggestion as well.
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    is EV the only artist out there working to remove youtube links so feverishly after they get posted? just wondering...
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,536
    rrivers wrote:
    Every time I have seen them they have been running. I never gave it a second thought, but the original poster brings up a good point. Maybe Ed should look at himself before he bitches about cars on the road messing up his precious view.
    We all use things that are bad for the environment, simply because we have few alternatives at the moment. I would be great if cars, buses and suv's had no emissions. But most use them because we have to.

But, that doesent mean we have to be quiet about it. We all need to speak up so change can happen.

According to your logic, people who drink polluted water shouldn't say anything otherwise they would be hypocrites.

As far as I know, ed's buses don't sit in parks, near rivers. They are in the venue parking lots, so he's not ruining the scenery.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    i dunno if i'm right because i'm not ed but what i got from his comment about SUVs was about all cars in general and said "SUV" not because they guzzle gas or anything, but because he saw one or because there are more of them or whatever, not because he specifically meant to say "SUV". i know what he means, i love taking walks with ITW on my ipod, but it's hard for me to find places to walk without having to hear honking horns or see busy streets. but again, i wasn't at the concert and i'm not eddie vedder so i don't know what he means, but thats just what i got out of it.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    BokiBoki Posts: 23
    i dunno if i'm right because i'm not ed but what i got from his comment about SUVs was about all cars in general and said "SUV" not because they guzzle gas or anything, but because he saw one or because there are more of them or whatever, not because he specifically meant to say "SUV". i know what he means, i love taking walks with ITW on my ipod, but it's hard for me to find places to walk without having to hear honking horns or see busy streets. but again, i wasn't at the concert and i'm not eddie vedder so i don't know what he means, but thats just what i got out of it.

That's the way I took it too--he wasn't calling out SUV drivers or saying he was better, he was making a general comment about how nature can be spoiled by people--himself included. I fail to see anything inflammatory about that. Sometimes I think the people criticizing Ed for being hypocritical really blow things he says way out of proportion...
  • Options
    oh pissy boo poo poo
    the Minions
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    rrivers wrote:
    Exactly. A reasoned point and exactly what the OP and I have been saying. I love how everyone is saying we were "owned" (what a stupid phrase to begin with) and that we just want to argue. As I said at the end of my last post, I applaud what the band has done, but Ed can be a hypocrite.

What I personally find irritating is the responses to these criticisms. Although the majority of people have brought up facts and figures to back up PJ's support for the environment (which, to be fair, I don't feel was ever in question), there are some who respond to these criticisms with "well, then I guess they just shouldn't tour", or even better that childish "you're a supporter of Bush" if you don't agree with Eddie. I mean, I do hope he was joking. I think you're much closer to being a supporter of Bush if you blindly follow an idol and insult anyone who criticizes them.

I think I think it's a valid criticism, as I said, because the music business is an extremely damaging profession. Anyone remember the Live Earth debacle? Due to all the chartered jets and private transport, it became an extremely wasteful endeavor. I think that if musicians want to act as spokespeople, they need to clean up their own act so to speak, which Pearl Jam has done. If the buses are running on biodiesel, that's great and a good first step. However, as I stated previously, I think commitment to rainforest preservation and benefit concerts for environmental programs does not change the fact that waste is waste. Despite all that, if the energy is not needlessly wasted in the first place, that is the best option. Standing outside the United Palace, with the four or five buses running for at least thirty minutes, if not more, I didn't see the need for it. Considering the buses I've been on have not needed the engine running to keep the AC and fridge going (in that way, buses act no differently from cars; I haven't seen many, if any cars, that you have to have the engine on full blast to turn on the AC).

I say this type of criticism is good, because if PJ speaks out about the environment, this is how they are going to be attacked. The best kind of advocates are the ones who have their own house in order.

Finally, to those who are saying "Ed may be a hypocrite, but we are all hypocrites, so he shouldn't be criticized"...I don't understand that logic. If I was being wasteful when it was not necessary, I would want to be criticized and called out, as long as the person was saying it constructively without being an asshole (which I don't think most of the people criticizing in this thread have been). Maybe I was unaware from my waste, and now that I've been made aware I can stop wasting? Why shouldn't it be the same with anyone else, including our favorite rock and roll band? Nobody's perfect, but if nobody ever talks about the problems because everyone is guilty than nothing would ever get better.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    We're all hypocrites when it comes to the environment. ALL OF US. If we weren't we'd be working from home (or bicycling to work) and living in an earthship. It's literally impossible to be completely off the grid and self powering everything and emitting nothing.

All Ed wants to do is spread awareness. SUVs are a big culprit and an easy fix that's a win/win situation for both the user and the environment: save money on gas while emitting fewer pollutants. The whole "status" of owning an SUV is pretty much over.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    According to your logic, people who drink polluted water shouldn't say anything otherwise they would be hypocrites.

No, actually the logic would be that people who pollute the water shouldn't say anything because they would be hypocrites.
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    Finally, to those who are saying "Ed may be a hypocrite, but we are all hypocrites, so he shouldn't be criticized"...I don't understand that logic. If I was being wasteful when it was not necessary, I would want to be criticized and called out, as long as the person was saying it constructively without being an asshole (which I don't think most of the people criticizing in this thread have been). Maybe I was unaware from my waste, and now that I've been made aware I can stop wasting? Why shouldn't it be the same with anyone else, including our favorite rock and roll band? Nobody's perfect, but if nobody ever talks about the problems because everyone is guilty than nothing would ever get better.

I don't understand that logic either.

Again digster, you continue to make reasonable points. I dig you, digster!
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    We're all hypocrites when it comes to the environment. ALL OF US. If we weren't we'd be working from home (or bicycling to work) and living in an earthship. It's literally impossible to be completely off the grid and self powering everything and emitting nothing.

I want to live in an earthship!
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    I'm just wondering how not working from home, driving a car and living everyday life makes me a hypocrite in regards to the environment??? :confused:

There are literally MILLIONS of ways to help the environment... its up to each person to choose how they help.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    I was lucky enough to meet Ed outside his van in DC 1 ..... Oh well what do you expect from a wino ... This is the guy who said " fuck me in my brain" and " i dont beleive in nothing even if its true " !!!!
    by nine he had deciphered the illusion, trading magic for a fact...

32 shows since 2001 and counting ..
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,776
    Enough rude insults.

Admin
    Falling down,...not staying down