My Morning Jacket

Comments

• ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Ed & MMJ in East Rutherford in 06 2nd night cover of " It Makes No Difference" is one of the best musical moments i have witnessed up close & personal ...Love MMJ ...

mmj's cover of this song can be found online and itunes. It's almost as good or better than the original. MMJ need to play near philly soon!
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,444
    I am not happy they are playing with Tom Petty in NJ

I mean I like Tom Petty and he is great live, but thats not the way I want to see MMJ
    Get_Right wrote:
    I am not happy they are playing with Tom Petty in NJ

I mean I like Tom Petty and he is great live, but thats not the way I want to see MMJ

agreed MMJ deserve 'an evening with'. same went for wilco when they opened for Neil Young and even the black keys with pearl jam.

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    i stand corrected. cobra is 24:12 exactly on my chocolate and ice ep.
  • choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    i'm headin to the show tonight a merriweather post!
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,583
    choop wrote:
    i'm headin to the show tonight a merriweather post!

me too! hope we get dondante tonight. a full version of run thru is due as well. either way it's gonna be a great one. weather is lookin beautiful.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    "Steam Engine" is giving me the body chills right now :D
    THE FACT THAT MY HEARTS BEATING, IS ALL THE PROOF YOU NEED!!!!!!

What can be said about this band that hasn't been said already on this thread??? They're my favorite band of all time not named Pearl Jam. New Years Eve was the shit. Can't wait to see them with Petty later this summer.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    so last night was on fire.

jim james reminds me a lot of eddie vedder a lot now, seems like they learned a lot from their tour with pj.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
    choop wrote:
    so last night was on fire.

jim james reminds me a lot of eddie vedder a lot now, seems like they learned a lot from their tour with pj.

the crowd last night was incredible. everyone was so into it. the band really fed off of that, especially jim. i thought the curfew and the 2 hour set list would make this a weaker show in comparison to a typical 2 and half to 3 hour mmj set, but on the contrary, the band made up for it with their energy. i left feeling no disappointment. besides the three times i've seen them open for pj, and their lollapalooza set in '07...i've seen these guys 4 times. bonnaroo '08 (the greatest concert i'll ever see), red rocks and philly the same year, and now this one. i have to say, although bonnaroo was the best, i think as far as performance and crowd goes, this may have been the best i've seen them play. words can't describe the atmosphere in the pit last night and jim was just on.

by the way, not to argue, but i think jim was jim before the '06 tour with pj. these guys really are their own animal. best live act ever. to anyone who hasn't, see these guys now. it's like seeing zeppelin or the who in their prime...only better. just assuming, because i wasn't around for that era, but i can't imagine anyone putting on a better show in the history of rock. i've seen a lot of great bands. they're the best.
    Let's keep this latest MMJ thread going!
    jimjames.jpg
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    fillmore123006-16.jpg
    they really need to get their asses in gear and play a philly show again.

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    mmj3-1.jpg
    front row, seattle 2008

Best Band Out Right Now. Seriously contemplating getting an MMJ tat soon. LOVE these guys. I feel things when I listen to these songs that no other band makes me feel.

Faves:

At Dawn
    Death is the Easy Way
    The Way He Sings
    Steam Engine
    I will sing to you
    Laylow
    Dondante

love the slow burners with the long jams. jims voice is incredible

Have you guys seen Season 5 Episode 7 Of American Dad!? Its called My MorningStraighJacket. the whole band is in it, several songs...the dad gets hooked on them, pretty funny stuff.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
    American Dad was awesome...Seth whatever his name is fn rocks. He's a big big fan of the band too.
    LOVE these guys. I feel things when I listen to these songs that no other band makes me feel.
    That's it! restlesssoul, you just hit the proverbial nail right on the head! So hard to quantify in words what this band means.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    They're booked for the Greek Theater in LA on 8-12-10. Not announced by the band yet but a google search will yield many results. i guess it's already on sale to premium members.

Really hoping to make a few nights out here on the tour!!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    3157011308_25bfaee788.jpg
    new year's eve 2008 msg
    Dillsnufus wrote:
    new year's eve 2008 msg
    That was a great night. Best New Years ever.
    Dillsnufus wrote:
    new year's eve 2008 msg

Nice!

This picture has been my desktop since shortly after i attended that show. What a night!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
    awesome. thanks for the honor
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    MMJ are the ones who will carry the baton on from PJ when the time comes - when it comes to being the pinnacle of live acts. Them and Gogol Bordello hands down.

Jim James knows how to do it right. Best album of 2009 was the Monsters of Folk album, and without Yim it's shit.

MMJ have the feel to them that PJ has, and like I said, will be the band I'll be following when Pearl Jam decides to hang it up. Too good. If you haven't seen them live yet, you're definitely missing out. The show in Philly in '08 at Festival Pier was beautiful. Hopefully one year they'll play Bonnaroo again and I'll get to see one of these epic all-nighters they pull.
  • Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    MMJ are the ones who will carry the baton on from PJ when the time comes - when it comes to being the pinnacle of live acts.

Jim James knows how to do it right. Best album of 2009 was the Monsters of Folk album, and without Yim it's shit.

MMJ have the feel to them that PJ has, and like I said, will be the band I'll be following when Pearl Jam decides to hang it up. Too good. If you haven't seen them live yet, you're definitely missing out.

I agree 110% with these statements.

MMJ are one of the best live acts i've ever seen... I simply didn't belive it until I saw it myself.

I can't wait for them to come back to Europe... when they come back :roll: :P
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
    Dillsnufus wrote:
    awesome. thanks for the honor

Did you take that? awesome if so

I found it on a google search. ....i think
    :D
    Yea I took that picture.
  • phillypjheadphillypjhead Posts: 123
    I came on board a little late to MMJ. Saw them open for PJ 2x. The first album I got was It Still Moves, around the time it came out, I got hooked and bought Z and Evil Urges as soon as they were released. But I still haven't heard the first 2 albums. Reading this thread I'm starting to think I'm really missing something there...I would appreciate any input regarding the first 2 albums that anyone might feel like sharing. Thanks!
    look it up on grooveshark.com
    I came on board a little late to MMJ. Saw them open for PJ 2x. The first album I got was It Still Moves, around the time it came out, I got hooked and bought Z and Evil Urges as soon as they were released. But I still haven't heard the first 2 albums. Reading this thread I'm starting to think I'm really missing something there...I would appreciate any input regarding the first 2 albums that anyone might feel like sharing. Thanks!

they're both great. more lo-fi than the newer ones. at dawn is actually my favorite mmj album. check them out, very different than the stuff you seemed to have heard from them, but again, very great.
  • phillypjheadphillypjhead Posts: 123
    Thanks for the feedback. If it's more lo-fi that is OK with me...of the 3 albums I have It Still Moves is my favorite, with Z being my least fav. Evil Urges is just so all over the place that I can't help but love it!
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Date just announced for Philly! Word!
    Mountain Park Holyoke Mass My Morning Jacket August 25!!!!!!

I am sooooooo happy right now. First Pearl Jam. Now My Morning Jacket. I am on fn cloud nine right now!!!!!!!!!