HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS APPRECIATION THREAD.

The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
edited August 2013 in Other Music
ONE OF THE GREATEST BANDS OF OUR TIME. :x

hueylewis0708.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMkU-Qf_3N0

The power of love is a curious thing
Make a one man weep, make another man sing
Change a hawk to a little white dove
More than a feeling thats the power of love
Tougher than diamonds, rich like cream
Stronger and harder than a bad girls dream
Make a bad one good make a wrong one right
Power of love that keeps you home at night
You dont need money, dont take fame
Don't need no credit card to ride this train
Its strong and its sudden and its cruel sometimes
But it might just save your life
Thats the power of love
Thats the power of love
First time you feel it, it might make you sad
Next time you feel it it might make you mad
But youll be glad baby when youve found
Thats the power makes the world go round
And it dont take money, dont take fame
Dont need no credit card to ride this train
Its strong and its sudden it can be cruel sometimes
But it might just save your life
They say that all in love is fair
Yeah, but you dont care
But you know what to do
When it gets hold of you
And with a little help from above
You feel the power of love
Can you feel it ? ....Hmmm
It dont take money and it dont take fame
Dont need no credit card to ride this train
Tougher than diamonds and stronger than steel
You wont feel nothin till you feel
You feel the power, that's the power of love
Thats the power, thats the power of love
Feel the power of love
chinese-happy.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    This is one band I could never stand!
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    g under p wrote:
    3_hueylewis.jpg
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Haha. I created a Huey lewis pandora station today. Tttttttttttttttttthe heart of rock and roll
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Love Huey!

I've probably done more Huey songs karaoke than any other!

His Live at 25 DVD is the best.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Patrick-Bateman-yuppie.jpg
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Went uptown to see my cousin
    Plays his guitar sounds like a chainsaw buzzin
    In the crowd I see his mom and his dad
    I say "Hey hey Uncle, man your son is bad"

SOMETIMES!!!!!!!!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    A toast to The Rich Man's Bruce Springsteen...
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Patrick-Bateman-yuppie.jpg
    lol

+1 for Huey.
  • xsmytxxsmytx Posts: 162
    EDDIE MONEY blows him out the water..If you ever get a chance to see him you should def go..I was shocked at how tight his band was. And it was hit after hit song..Eddie money is the greatest!
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Huey Lewis and the News was my very first concert at the Seattle Center Coliseum (pre-Key Arena days). A LOOOOONG time ago.

I also liked his role in the first Back to the Future.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    g under p wrote:
    3_hueylewis.jpg

confused13.gif

That song is fine but the band...062802puke_prv.gif

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I used to think he said "the heart of rock and roll is in cleveland"
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    More of a News fan than Huey fan, personally.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    sports is a great album! :thumbup:
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    norm wrote:

I want the Sports poster that's hanging in Marty's bedroom in BTTF so bad.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    norm wrote:
    I own it on vinyl. :wave:
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    aNiMaL wrote:
    norm wrote:
    I own it on vinyl. :wave:

I concur.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • "Yes its' true (yes it's truuuue)
    I'm so happy to be stuck with you
    And I can see (I can seeeee)
    That you're happy to be stuck with meee."

"It's hip to be square."

Ladies and Gentleman, these cheesy, cringe-worthy lyrics may possibly have spawned a generation of bands churning out stomach turning, nauseating lyrics that eventually grew into the abomination that is......

Nickelback
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
    I used to think he said "the heart of rock and roll is in cleveland"

ME TOO! and i justified it by thinking "well that's where the rr hof is...so he must be saying that."
    chinese-happy.jpg
    "Yes its' true (yes it's truuuue)
    I'm so happy to be stuck with you
    And I can see (I can seeeee)
    That you're happy to be stuck with meee."

"It's hip to be square."

Ladies and Gentleman, these cheesy, cringe-worthy lyrics may possibly have spawned a generation of bands churning out stomach turning, nauseating lyrics that eventually grew into the abomination that is......

Nickelback

this guy..............................has never heard of the phrase: tongue in cheek.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

thank you patrick.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    From what I can remember, Huey was the 1st band I had to have in the cassette player all the time...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I think in the mid-80’s my cassette music collection consisted for Huey Lewis (Sports and Fore!), Springsteen (USA), Michael Jackson (Thriller), Piledriver – WWF Wrestling Album 2, and some shitty J. Geils Band tape that was a hand-me-down.

Besides Huey, the Boss, and Mean Gene Okerlund’s beautiful version of “Rock ‘N Roll Hoochie Koo”, it’s no wonder I was so happy when grunge made its debut.
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    Saw them about 6 months ago in biloxi. They still are amazing.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    xsmytx wrote:
    EDDIE MONEY blows him out the water..If you ever get a chance to see him you should def go..I was shocked at how tight his band was. And it was hit after hit song..Eddie money is the greatest!

Wait... so the show lasted 10 minutes?
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775

thank you patrick.

Looking forward to your thoughts in the Phil Collins/Genesis thread!
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,963
    Trouble in Paradise, Workin' For A Livin', Do You Believe In Love...all decent songs back in the day and i'll admit i taped them off the radio during a 'rock block' weekend as a 12 year old kid. :D
    I love to turn you on
  • I was once hanging out with a fella who could not contain his disdain for Huey Lewis and The News. A music player was running preloaded music and there was quite a bit of Huey on it. Every time Huey came on, fella would get his face all contorted and he would make some snide remark like, "Huey Lewis and The Snooze." :?
    Really, are they so offensive that you have to get all worked up over it? :roll:
    Personally, I think they are pretty harmless to the point that when someone gets all harsh on them they become underdogs. I love me some underdogs.

Soooo....

I'm on the Huey Lewis And The News Appreciation bandwagon. Now, I haven't ever seen them in concert and I don't own any of their music, much less anything on vinyl. But, when I hear their tunes, I will turn it up, sing along and maybe even dance a little. It IS hip to be square. ;)
    I carried a watermelon
  • I used to think he said "the heart of rock and roll is in cleveland"

i'm 99% sure at the end of one of the choruses, he says "the heart of rock and roll is still beatin'.....in cleveland"...pretty sure it's right before the sax solo.
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 9/3/00, 12/31/00, 3/2/01, 4/29/01, 6/21/01, 7/25/01, 8/31/01, 9/1/01, 9/2/01, 4/18/02, 8/30/02, 8/31/02, 8/31/02, 9/1/02, 9/22/02, 3/22/03, 5/6/03, 6/29/03, 8/29/03, 8/30/03, 8/30/03, 8/31/03, 2/21/04, 4/2/04, 4/3/04, 9/3/04, 9/4/04, 9/4/04, 9/5/04, 2/19/05, 7/22/05, 9/2/05, 9/3/05, 9/3/05, 9/4/05, 1/22/06, 6/7/06, 9/1/06, 9/2/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 7/6/07, 8/31/07, 9/1/07, 9/1/07, 9/2/07, 3/7/08, 8/29/08, 8/30/08, 8/30/08, 8/31/08, 7/11/09, 6/4/10, 6/11/11