Options

Everyone likes to hype the shows they've been too... but what's the WORST show?

Comments

• Options
    :)
    pjhawks wrote:
    beeboy19 wrote:

With all this said: Camden '03 with no hesitation.

i think after 2000 they haven't really played a great show in Camden since. I've been to all the Philly area shows and I have to say pretty much all the Camden shows have been kind of average. I guess the one July 2003 with RITFW mid-set was good but nothing special - the rest are kind of mix together. Of the 18 shows I've seen none of the camden ones except maybe '98 appear in my top half shows seen. i guess the venue contributes to that - to me it doesn't really lend itself to a great show - half the 10C site lines suck (sides are terrible for sound and site lines).

Where the heck were you for the 2006 and 2008 shows? The first nights of each tour were fantastic. Even Ed remarked in the Rolling Stone cover story in 2006 that the "Last Kiss" moment was, at that time, a favorite memory of all the PJ shows.
  • Options
    CServant wrote:
    Vega$ '06 was pretty feeble, but I think that had more to do with the people I was sitting with as well. No one around me was just that into it, and I had higher expectations for Vega$ I guess?!

I must have been sitting by you cos that is my first thought, Vegas 06.
    Arms wide open with the sea as my floor.
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    There is no such thing as a bad PJ show.

That should be an amendment to the constitution or something. ;)

Seriously though, out of the 50 or so boots that I've heard, some stand out as particularly great and more re-listenable than others, but I've never thought "wow, this show sucks".
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    i've noticed seeing this cincy concert complained about a lot all over the board. i looked up the set list. seemed great. what the hell happened there? bad crowd?
    It was everything. Lame Crowd, Boring Setlist (IMO), and no energy from the band. Add in such a bad setting, Cincy sucks. The pre-set by Ed was cool, but the opening band might have been the worst I have ever seen for PJ. Yes, worse than S-K and Gob Roberts. On the bright side, I did have my best 10C seats to date that night, but it still didn't help. Long road was the highlight of the night.
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    im sure rokslide was the worst pj show ever. its the only one where i wouldn't want to have been at
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    from the ones ive been to my least favorite was Manchester couse i was less passion that all the others..the crowd wasnt so good,especially the seated.and the sound wasnt good,u can listen to the bootleg and get that...but NO!! THERE ISNT A PJ BAD SHOW...!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Kloddz wrote:

Seriously though, out of the 50 or so boots that I've heard, some stand out as particularly great and more re-listenable than others, but I've never thought "wow, this show sucks".

That why the question is "what's the worst show" you've been to. It doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad show overall, but just thw worst you went to. If you go to a lot of shows, a few of them are bound to stick out as pedantic or lackluster. But yeah, I'd take a lackluster PJ show any day of the week. It's just that you can tell when the band and crowd are on fire as compared to a run of the mill show.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    BinFrog wrote:
    Kloddz wrote:

That why the question is "what's the worst show" you've been to. It doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad show overall, but just thw worst you went to. If you go to a lot of shows, a few of them are bound to stick out as pedantic or lackluster. But yeah, I'd take a lackluster PJ show any day of the week. It's just that you can tell when the band and crowd are on fire as compared to a run of the mill show.
    Point taken - from that point of view, given the fact that I've been to a whopping 2 (!) PJ shows so far, the worst is easily Bern, 2006/09/13.

(Still one of the top 5 or maybe even 3 concerts in my life...)
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Borgata 1 not cause of anything PJ did- they are always awesome but the crowd in the our area in the GA was obnoxious. A fight broke out and big security guys came, people were pushing just terrible and not paying attention to the band at all. Tough to ruin what should be a magical time. Just dumb. We moved but lost the view. It was my worst show ever big disappointment what with it being PJ in a small venue and paying 700$ for 2 tix.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    :)
    pjhawks wrote:
    beeboy19 wrote:

With all this said: Camden '03 with no hesitation.

i think after 2000 they haven't really played a great show in Camden since. I've been to all the Philly area shows and I have to say pretty much all the Camden shows have been kind of average. I guess the one July 2003 with RITFW mid-set was good but nothing special - the rest are kind of mix together. Of the 18 shows I've seen none of the camden ones except maybe '98 appear in my top half shows seen. i guess the venue contributes to that - to me it doesn't really lend itself to a great show - half the 10C site lines suck (sides are terrible for sound and site lines).

Where the heck were you for the 2006 and 2008 shows? The first nights of each tour were fantastic. Even Ed remarked in the Rolling Stone cover story in 2006 that the "Last Kiss" moment was, at that time, a favorite memory of all the PJ shows.

i was there for both - as i mentioned I think the venue plays a part and also I've seen some pretty magical PJ moments (State College, 10-year anniversary show, Spectrum shows, Borgata I) so to me the Camden ones don't really stand out at all. Don't get me wrong, still good - just not 'great' as some of the others I've listed.
  • Options
    Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    from the ones ive been to my least favorite was Manchester couse i was less passion that all the others..the crowd wasnt so good,especially the seated.and the sound wasnt good,u can listen to the bootleg and get that...but NO!! THERE ISNT A PJ BAD SHOW...!!

What year are you talking about? 2000? I was at that one, and it certainly stands out for the crowd being lame. The best part was the guy from the Vandals asking if he has to "effing kill himself" for the crowd to get passionate, and then strip down naked, run into the crowd and sit down.

But yeah, a lot of polite applause. I was confused.
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • Options
    I can't decide because every PJ show I've been to has had horrible sound no matter where I'm sitting - their PA system sucks all kinds of ass. Some people seem to be fine with it, but not me. When I go to a concert I expect to be able to hear the band somewhat clearly. That's why I'm not going to a Pearl Jam show ever again, unless I know in advance that I'm getting tickets close to the stage.
  • Options
    Montreal 2000.

At the start of the third leg of the tour and a lot of equipment problems for Stone (resulting in him sitting out a couple of songs).
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • Options
    Yes Way wrote:

What year are you talking about? 2000? I was at that one, and it certainly stands out for the crowd being lame. The best part was the guy from the Vandals asking if he has to "effing kill himself" for the crowd to get passionate, and then strip down naked, run into the crowd and sit down.

But yeah, a lot of polite applause. I was confused.
    Manchester 09
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    Lolla 07...mainly because the majority of those in attendance were truly acting like animals...and I'm rather forgiving.
  • Options
    Stinkfoot wrote:
    Montreal 2000.

At the start of the third leg of the tour and a lot of equipment problems for Stone (resulting in him sitting out a couple of songs).

I enjoyed that show, problems and all, but compared to '98 and '05 that I also went to, it was at the bottom of the list. BUT: awesome opener of Of The Girl --> Corduroy.

Plus I was 2nd row dead center which didn't hurt :)
  • Options
    Camden 2 08'. Great set but there was no energy from the crowd until the end when Once, Alive and Baba were played.
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 998
    Sydney 1 03 was the worst show for me. My first ever 10c seats & the crowd was very lame indeed & the band seemed to follow. Ed flubbed alot of lyrics & a very short set, 23 songs. You can really hear it in the boot. The 2nd show was better but still not much energy as you would expect. I have noticed that 03 has the most shows in this post. What was it 2003 & PJ?
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    I thought Seattle 1 from '09 was underwhelming. It was still great when compared to most other bands but certainly stack up well against the average PJ experience.
    'Everything has changed but absolutely nothing's changed'

New York: 09-10-98; London: 05-29-00; London: 05-30-00; Glasgow: 06-03-00; Dublin: 08-23-06; Reading: 08-27-06; Virginia Beach: 06-17-08; Washington: 08-16-08 (EV); Seattle: 09-21-09; Philadelphia 10-31-09; Bristow: 05-13-10; Belfast: 06-23-10
  • Options
    sebaarg88 wrote:
    for me id say the boston 03 boot when sk came out and butchered the final 2 songs of the night

you're totally right

I agree about the butchering part, entirely, however this is still in my top 5 shows.
  • Options
    Rossum20 wrote:
    Lolla 07...mainly because the majority of those in attendance were truly acting like animals...and I'm rather forgiving.

Forget the audience. What about the sound problems? Mike's guitar sounded like shit for the entire show. I left Lolla thinking that everyone in the crowd who never saw PJ before got gipped big time. Easily the worst sounding concert I've ever been to.

That all being said, I had a great time.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    BALLBOY wrote:
    Sydney 1 03 was the worst show for me. My first ever 10c seats & the crowd was very lame indeed & the band seemed to follow. Ed flubbed alot of lyrics & a very short set, 23 songs. You can really hear it in the boot. The 2nd show was better but still not much energy as you would expect. I have noticed that 03 has the most shows in this post. What was it 2003 & PJ?

simple, 2003 was their longest tour with the most dates.
  • Options
    AmyMooreAmyMoore Posts: 139
    edited February 2010
    Paris 96
    Missoula 98
    San Sebastian 00
    Nassau 03
    Sydney 3 06
    Berlin 09
    Post edited by AmyMoore on
  • Options
    Hartford 06

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    Hartford 06

Bah. This show gets a lot of flack for being short and for supposedly having a "greatest hits" setlist, but I rocked my ass off at that show....cold temperature and all.
  • Options
    my very first "plugged in" show...

san francisco 1995

seven songs and out, neil young came to finish the show.

needless to say, they've made it up in spades over the years.

I agree with whoever said Vegas 06 and Seattle 1 09, I'd even add Chicago 1 09. Seattle and Chicago's second shows in 09 make my top 10 ever btw.

I also agree that a "bad" PJ show is better than almost any band on their best night.
  • Options
    heyjoseheyjose Melbourne, Australia Posts: 503
    AmyMoore wrote:
    Paris 96
    Missoula 98
    San Sebastian 00
    Nassau 03
    Sydney 3 06
    Berlin 09

Sydney 3 in 2006 may still be my favourite show that I've attended.. great crowd, Ed and band in great spirits, awesome highlight with a young kid being brought up on stage.. I wonder if you mean Sydney 2, which was probably the worst I've been to - crowd's fault entirely.

Poor crowd participation also hindered most of the shows I saw in Oz in 2003 (Melb1 and Syd1 probably the worst). It picked up for 2006 though.
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

• Options
    AmyMoore wrote:

Berlin 09
    ????????????????????????????
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Tampa 03' There's a few highlights, but not one of there better nights. :oops:
  • Options
    I was at Hershey in '03, and many people that were there would say that show, but besides the short second encore I thought the set list was just fine. Crowd might have sucked but no ten club seating got me close and had me sitting with almost a whole row of friends....and I was hammered. Fun for me.

I'll go with one of those camden '06 shows...probably the first one.
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!