Options

Everyone likes to hype the shows they've been too... but what's the WORST show?

Comments

• Options
    Possibly Augusta, Maine in 1996 when No Code came out at the height of the ticketmaster fiasco. That's the only show that I remember almost nothing about. Either that or Boston II, 2003 where I was harrassed by a swarm of frat boys. I'm not sure either of these "bad" shows where the fault of the band though. As for the show that I didn't think the band played the best at, I'd have to say Mountain View, CA 2003.
  • Options
    My first post, and hopefully you understand my point. I saw them In toledo at the VFC tour when Neil and Peter came out and played. I then drove to Grand Rapids the next night to see them. The band played an awesome setlist, but it couldnt hang with the concert the night before. The whole time I was thinking, I can't believe I saw Neil Young play Cortez, Watchtower, Act of Love, and finish with RIFTW. The 6 hour drive home to work at 8am didnt help either.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I only have 4 boots, and I think they are all pretty much equal.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    My first post, and hopefully you understand my point. I saw them In toledo at the VFC tour when Neil and Peter came out and played. I then drove to Grand Rapids the next night to see them. The band played an awesome setlist, but it couldnt hang with the concert the night before. The whole time I was thinking, I can't believe I saw Neil Young play Cortez, Watchtower, Act of Love, and finish with RIFTW. The 6 hour drive home to work at 8am didnt help either.

Thoughts?

I'm sorry, but even Pearl Jam can't be that amazing every night. You are one lucky dude to see them play with Neil.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    I agree, i was especially blessed at Toledo and again in Grand Rapids. I think it was too much for me to take in for only my 4th and 5th shows. I guess that means I'm not worthy.
  • Options
    AstirdAstird Posts: 168
    I agree, i was especially blessed at Toledo and again in Grand Rapids. I think it was too much for me to take in for only my 4th and 5th shows. I guess that means I'm not worthy.

The Toledo/Grand Rapids shows were two of the best I've ever been too. I was blown away in Toledo by Neil, but PJ blew me away in GR. They were really intense that night. I'm just grateful that I went to both.
  • Options
    votegirlvotegirl Posts: 95
    Possibly Augusta, Maine in 1996 when No Code came out at the height of the ticketmaster fiasco. That's the only show that I remember almost nothing about.

Ahhhhhh...that was a GREAT show...in fact, my favorite. I have the bootleg, I'd even be willing to make you a copy to jog your memory of this show's greatness!

WORST show for me: Hartford 1996 Pepper spray, riot police... all of my merch stolen. Baaaaaaad memories for me there.
    I burst, out
    I'm transformed!
  • Options
    the show I remember having the worst time at was Toronto 2005, but the boot sounds better, so its not the worst...I think St. John's 2 was the worst I've been to...between the lackluster crowd and the setlist being cut short, it was a piss-off of a night
    03: Toronto
    04: Toledo
    05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto, Quebec City, St. John's 1 & 2
    06: Toronto 1 & 2, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati
    07: London, Dusseldorf
    08: Tampa
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    So, is this the show where I had the worst time, or is this the worst concert as far as energy from the band, sound etc. Those are two different animals. Worst sound was Moore Theatre 95 because it's just a bad sounding place. I'm sure the setlist was fine. It's such a small place I expected the sound to be cleaner.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    beeboy19beeboy19 Posts: 10
    I have to agree with an earlier guy that Camden 1 '03 was the worst of the shows. Like everyone is saying though, I'd take the worst PJ show over anything else in a heartbeat! This show was the worst fanclub view I have ever had and I had just been to many in a row which probably had me tired out....I have been very lucky and experienced Storytellers, Borgata 1 and 2, Tibetan Freedom, etc, etc- some memorable shows (coming up on 40 total) and am realizing this and taking nothing for granted.

With all this said: Camden '03 with no hesitation.
  • Options
    drlovemonkeydrlovemonkey Posts: 394
    Get_Right wrote:
    hartford 06
    easy to answer

My thoughts exactly. TERRIBLE crowd combined w/ a raw rainy 40 degree evening. Still not a bad show, but easily the worst I've seen.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,733
    Hershey 2003
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    My thoughts exactly. TERRIBLE crowd combined w/ a raw rainy 40 degree evening. Still not a bad show, but easily the worst I've seen.

Man, Hartford 06 is getting a lot of shit in this thread. I had a blast at that show.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Key Arena 12-8-02.

First show I had been to in 4 1/2 years. Worst seats I've ever had. Show just never took off IMO. Still would not trade being there for any other band in the world!!!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    grendelgrendel Posts: 14
    of the 20 or so boots i have, Tokoyo '03 is by far the "worst"
    it just doesnt sound like band or crowd really into it

of the 7 shows i have attended i have yet to be disappointed
    open the fridge...now i know what life is worth
  • Options
    KlezPoxKlezPox Posts: 7
    anyways back to BOISE.

the worst show ive seen is the VANCOUVER 03 show. its tough to choose but thats the one. oh well.

Boise rocked! Agreed.

Vancouver 03 on the other hand has my all time favorite Betterman on it! Crowd sings first verse, followed with the best Save it for later ever! Schwing!
  • Options
    pearljamdude420pearljamdude420 Posts: 1,380
    long red wrote:
    i thought boise was pretty damn good....but out of the ones i have, i'll say cincinnatti '00 is my least favorite....nothing all that special, unless u were there i guess.

you jackass, im just joking but ive been to 27 shows and this was one of my top 5 favorites, this was a sweet venue too and real good show and had great seats. i wish riverbend didnt flood last time
  • Options
    for me id say the boston 03 boot when sk came out and butchered the final 2 songs of the night

No shit. I don't even listen to the end of that disc anymore.
  • Options
    FalcorFalcor Posts: 11
    I've seen 11 shows. Best = tie between Chicago 98 and Camden II 06

They were a bit off at Chicago 03. But I still had a great time.

By far the worst PJ concert experience I've had was Champaign 03. And I know a lot of people on this board love that show, and perhaps the band played well, but I wouldn't know because I was too busy being irritated by everything going on around me with the crowd in the upper level:

-About half of my section left after the 1st set.
    -Two people in front of me left after even flow (about 8 songs in) and I heard the guy say to his gf, "that will be the best part, lets go to dinner now."
    -Most people in the upper level were sitting still the whole show, at least in the regions I could see.
    -The sound was horrible up there.

I couldn't get 10C tix for that show, and perhaps it was better down there, but I just want to say for the record that the crowd in the nether-regions at Assembly Hall was an embarassment at that show. I think there were a ton of U of Illinois students that came just because it was on campus and close, and they really had no interest in PJ at all, so they just came late, left early, and were generally disrespectful.

That said, pj played a long set and an interesting set list, but it just goes to show you how atmosphere can affect one's interpretation of a show, and truly taint the experience.
    You're the only one who cannot forgive yourself
  • Options
    Salt Lake City June 1998. We all got herded in like cattle, got my poster stolen, beer in Utah is 3% MAX...although they did debut "All Those Yesterdays" there, and I really enjoyed Ed talking shit to all the Utah Jazz fans...

"Tough luck on that Basketball game the other day." (after the Bulls beat them for the Championship)

"Dennis Rodman told me to tell you all to fuck off."

"I'm just trying to figure out who this guy Norman is. [to an audience member] "What's your name? James? I dunno. I just heard there were a bunch of Normans here." (referring to Mormons)

Honestly, it wasn't that bad of a show! With Pearl Jam live, it's like pizza. Even if it's bad pizza, it's still good.
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Stryker420 wrote:
    I'm only going to mention shows I've been to. That being said, there really is no bad Pearl Jam show. However, Albany '03 was very underwhelming. But, in classic Pearl Jam form, they more than made up for it at Albany '06.

I thought Albany '03 was great but just about 5-6 songs too short. It was a short show, but highly energetic.

Of the 36 shows I have been to, I think Hartford '98 is the worst for a few reasons:

1) A repeat of the god damn pepper spray B.S.
    2) Ended early because of a fan injury
    3) The acoustics were all muddy and echoey that night

But I still had a hell of a time. I mean c'mon, a Corduroy opener w/ Ed wearing an afro wig = priceless. Plus Breathe was a nice touch.
    Post edited by BinFrog on
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,215
    beeboy19 wrote:
    I have to agree with an earlier guy that Camden 1 '03 was the worst of the shows. Like everyone is saying though, I'd take the worst PJ show over anything else in a heartbeat! This show was the worst fanclub view I have ever had and I had just been to many in a row which probably had me tired out....I have been very lucky and experienced Storytellers, Borgata 1 and 2, Tibetan Freedom, etc, etc- some memorable shows (coming up on 40 total) and am realizing this and taking nothing for granted.

With all this said: Camden '03 with no hesitation.

i think after 2000 they haven't really played a great show in Camden since. I've been to all the Philly area shows and I have to say pretty much all the Camden shows have been kind of average. I guess the one July 2003 with RITFW mid-set was good but nothing special - the rest are kind of mix together. Of the 18 shows I've seen none of the camden ones except maybe '98 appear in my top half shows seen. i guess the venue contributes to that - to me it doesn't really lend itself to a great show - half the 10C site lines suck (sides are terrible for sound and site lines).
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i haven't been to a bad show. wpb 08 was my first and thought it was great. my ex says it wasn't that great..but she's been to more shows to me. i guess if you've been to a millions shows its easier to be dissapointed
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    Alot of mine have been mentioned:
    Every Camden show since 2000 (yet I keep on going)
    Hershey (at least we got help,help)
    Cincinatti 2006 (probably #1 worst on my list)
    Toledo 2004 (I paid to see PJ)
    Pittsburgh 2005 opening for the Rolling Stones

Why is PJ so good in Philly proper, and so bad across the river in Camden?
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    i haven't been to a bad show. wpb 08 was my first and thought it was great. my ex says it wasn't that great..but she's been to more shows to me. i guess if you've been to a millions shows its easier to be dissapointed

WPB 2008 has the last north american playing of Oceans.... so it can't be that bad of a show!

http://www.pearljam.com/show/cruzan-amp ... un-11-2008

What the hell is "it rains on me"?

http://www.pearljam.com/song/it-rains-me
  • Options
    grendel wrote:
    of the 20 or so boots i have, Tokoyo '03 is by far the "worst"
    it just doesnt sound like band or crowd really into it

of the 7 shows i have attended i have yet to be disappointed

Are you named after the Beowulf character or the SDRE song? If the latter: hell yeah!
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    Seattle I 2009. I realized that the band was getting older and some songs just dont come off the same as they once did. Still had fun though....
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    Vega$ '06 was pretty feeble, but I think that had more to do with the people I was sitting with as well. No one around me was just that into it, and I had higher expectations for Vega$ I guess?!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    MG79478 wrote:
    Alot of mine have been mentioned:
    Every Camden show since 2000 (yet I keep on going)
    Hershey (at least we got help,help)
    Cincinatti 2006 (probably #1 worst on my list)Toledo 2004 (I paid to see PJ)
    Pittsburgh 2005 opening for the Rolling Stones

Why is PJ so good in Philly proper, and so bad across the river in Camden?

i've noticed seeing this cincy concert complained about a lot all over the board. i looked up the set list. seemed great. what the hell happened there? bad crowd?
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    i'm baffled as to why boise 00 and cincinnati 00 are the first two shows mentioned in this thread. those two shows are easily in the top of my list for favorite boots of that tour.