Options

Encores are a privilege, not a right

Comments

• Options
    f-bombf-bomb Posts: 99
    edited September 2009
    Wow, I am surprised that I appear to be the only one that feels this way.

I have attended concerts from other bands and it is not common for the people in the best seats in the house to be sitting down passively expecting an encore. I guess I am the crazy 'fun police' for actually applauding to have the band come out and rock some more..........

Edit: Bear in mind - I am not trying to tell anyone how to behave during a show or attempting to portray myself as a 'better' fan than anybody else. It's as simple as my original post - Encores are earned. PJ shows are cheap and the main set by itself is a great value. You want more, let them know...........
    Post edited by f-bomb on

Ain't it funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind?
  • Options
    wait... can i still fart during shows? or only during the encore?
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    I don't care what people do at the shows as long as they aren't harming someone else. They have the right to enjoy the experience how they choose. If they stand still watching in awe, jump up and down, scream for more, whatever.

Peace
    Just me
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    LOL. Just when I think they can't get any more comical, a post like this shows up :lol: Am I allowed to go to the bathroom or chew guy during the show? Do I have to know every single lyric by heart? Anything else?

If you want to cheer until you are blue in the face during the encore have at it. I will have something to laugh at while I am sitting down.

Please refrain from chewing guy during the show. Thank you.

lol!
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    LOL. Just when I think they can't get any more comical, a post like this shows up :lol: Am I allowed to go to the bathroom or chew guy during the show? Do I have to know every single lyric by heart? Anything else?

If you want to cheer until you are blue in the face during the encore have at it. I will have something to laugh at while I am sitting down.

Hahaha. Wow. Big typo there.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147

Hahaha. Wow. Big typo there.

typo?

or Freudian slip?

;):lol::lol:
  • Options
    norm wrote:

typo?

or Freudian slip?

;):lol::lol:

Hahaha. I think my girlfriend would be pretty disappointed if it was anything other than a typo.
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    i think that encore 1 should actually be called set 2, because as of late set 1 has only been about an hour, and you know there is more to come.

i think that at this point in pj's career, setlists should be broken down by set 1, set 2, and encore.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    edited September 2009
    f-bomb wrote:

I have attended concerts from other bands and it is not common for the people in the best seats in the house to be sitting down passively expecting an encore. I guess I am the crazy 'fun police' for actually applauding to have the band come out and rock some more..........

Okay, I'll give it a shot, I have seen a lot of multiple shows of several bands, I have seen Phish about 30 times and I saw Grateful Dead about 169 times, both bands used to do the same type of show, they would play a first set (about an hour) then come out for the 2nd set and play about an hour and a half, leave the stage and come out and play one song for the encore almost every show, every once and a while the Grateful Dead would play 2 songs and Phish once and a while will play 2 songs and on a rare occasion they play 3 songs.

That being said I have seen Pearl Jam 27 times and they have their own way of doing things, they come out and play balls out for about an hour and 10 to 15 minutes maybe an hour and 20 to 25 minutes, leave the stage, come back out and play 4 to 6 songs leave again and come out and play another 4 to 6 songs and the show is usually over and every once and a while they will come out for a 3rd encore.

So I know the drill, so give me a break with your whole, "encores are a privilege" crap, people on this board need to get a life, with there whole, "the shows I went to were better" "this crowd (Seattle) was lame, this crowd was better" who gives a shit, I go to the shows, have fun and I don't give a shit what other people are doing. When they leave the stage the first time, most people obviously know that the show is not over after an hour and 20 minutes, that's why I sit down and relax as I am usually either very sweaty or tired, I am 40 years old now and I'm not as young as I used to be. Maybe at ACL Festival when they leave the first time I am just going to jump up and down and get freaking crazy!!!! :lol:
    Post edited by Cob on
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,071
    jammerfall wrote:
    Learning to be a Pearl Jam fan proper is so very tiring! :lol:
    isn't it??
    I just can't keep up
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,911
    Wow! I can't believe all the flaming the OP is getting. I have to say that the first time I saw a PJ concert in the US I, too, was shocked that people were sitting during the encore. It was the first time I had seen that at a show. I just summed it up to cultural differences :? ;):D

It's all cool though, I adapted for the SEA shows, sat in my chair, rested my legs (after rocking out for the first set) and made lots of noise. I don't see encores as a right either. However, I think that it would be fair to say that they really are preforming a second and third set.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    It gets me a bit worked up too when people keep shouting 'more' or stuff like that at any show..it's like the house lights arn't on yet, the drummer hasn't thrown his sticks out.. still a show to be finished.....
  • Options
    Cob wrote:
    f-bomb wrote:

Okay, I'll give it a shot, I have seen a lot of multiple shows of several bands, I have seen Phish about 30 times and I saw Grateful Dead about 169 times, both bands used to do the same type of show, they would play a first set (about an hour) then come out for the 2nd set and play about an hour and a half, leave the stage and come out and play one song for the encore almost every show, every once and a while the Grateful Dead would play 2 songs and Phish once and a while will play 2 songs and on a rare occasion they play 3 songs.

That being said I have seen Pearl Jam 27 times and they have their own way of doing things, they come out and play balls out for about an hour and 10 to 15 minutes maybe an hour and 20 to 25 minutes, leave the stage, come back out and play 4 to 6 songs leave again and come out and play another 4 to 6 songs and the show is usually over and every once and a while they will come out for a 3rd encore.

So I know the drill, so give me a break with your whole, "encores are a privilege" crap, people on this board need to get a life, with there whole, "the shows I went to were better" "this crowd (Seattle) was lame, this crowd was better" who gives a shit, I go to the shows, have fun and I don't give a shit what other people are doing. When they leave the stage the first time, most people obviously know that the show is not over after an hour and 20 minutes, that's why I sit down and relax as I am usually either very sweaty or tired, I am 40 years old now and I'm not as young as I used to be. Maybe at ACL Festival when they leave the first time I am just going to jump up and down and get freaking crazy!!!! :lol:

/thread
  • Options
    Wow! I can't believe all the flaming the OP is getting. I have to say that the first time I saw a PJ concert in the US I, too, was shocked that people were sitting during the encore. It was the first time I had seen that at a show. I just summed it up to cultural differences :? ;):D

It's all cool though, I adapted for the SEA shows, sat in my chair, rested my legs (after rocking out for the first set) and made lots of noise. I don't see encores as a right either. However, I think that it would be fair to say that they really are preforming a second and third set.

Alright - finally a little bit of backup. Everyone else almost had me believing that I actually was crazy :lol:

Although we have been given the impression over the years that Pearl Jam's shows have developed more into a Set 1/2 type thing it is still common (at all other concerts) to cheer for a band to return if you want them to play some more. To quietly sit in your chair waiting seems to me to be a spoiled state of expectation..........and certainly doesn't lead to an epic crowd and vibe for the night........

Ain't it funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind?
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Pearl Jam getting my $80+ per ticket is their privilege, not a right.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    I sometimes sit down during the encore break because I'm literally exhausted and need a break.

Same for me. I'm getting old. Though if they ever played a GA show, I might be a bit more fired up at that point since I'd have the blood going.
  • Options
    stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    I have to say most of the time I will stand during the encore break.Whitle,Shout,Clap,Stamp my Feet,Etc.
    The only show I sat during an Encore Break was Kississimme 2004 because I was tired from the show and did not feel all that great that day.BUT I still did all the same things I did sitting down as I would have stand up.Just my 2 cents.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Options
    One time, I fell asleep during an encore, front row.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,738
    I love how peole around here are constantly telling you how to act when you go to a concert.
  • Options
    I wonder if this is an "age" thing. Older people might be remembering back in the day when an actual "encore" was something you earned by your participation and showing your love for the band during the performance. I don't really think this is the case anymore because everyone seems to do them in one way or another.

Now I just kind of look at them as what happens after the band takes a break from The Rock.
  • Options
    I thought an encore was something the BAND earned, not the other way around. If they were good enough, people would ask for an encore.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,701
    oh come on Pj play encores, I'd say its expected alright.

in fact most bands do, its a huge surprise when they dont.
  • Options
    f-bomb wrote:
    Hey,

This might start a firestorm amongst people but I feel that it needs to be said. I was recently at both Seattle shows and also Vancouver on Friday - both 10c seating. Without going into discussion about the 'quality' of the crowds in Seattle vs. Vancouver (all I will say is that Vancouver had alot more crowd energy, sing-along etc. and I think the setlist and band response show this) I think that this needs to be said:

Encores are a privilege, not a right.

I say this because at all three shows I saw MANY people sitting down in between encores and not cheering or anything. We all know Pearl Jam brings it 100% every night and they have developed a reputation for putting on great shows with multiple encores. But we cannot just assume they are going to reappear when they leave the stage. Stand up, clap and cheer and tell the band that you want to see them play some more. I know for about 97% of people in the building this whole post doesn't apply. But there seem to be quite a jaded lot of 10C fans that are starting to take things for granted.......Now you can line up and shoot me down ;)

Agreed. 100%
  • Options
    I'll speak briefly in the OPs defense. My wife came to Seattle 2 with me, and she's a very casual fan. During the breaks she mentioned to me that it was weird that everyone was just sitting and expecting an encore. After the show she made a comment how PJ fans are spoiled and don't give back what they get by just sitting there and expecting the band to do all the work. So, he's got a point.

That all said, it is very tiring being told by all the other PJ geeks how to be a proper PJ geek. The shows kick ass, the crowds kick ass. I've never had a bad experience, and unless you're screaming in my ear (thank you girl behind me during Ben Harper in Portland) I try not to worry about what others do.
  • Options
    Obama would disagree. In fact why doesn't he pass this into law as well!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,638
    f-bomb wrote:
    That's a whole lot different than just sitting down and waiting (expecting) them to reappear. What boggles my mind is that alot of these people sitting down between encores are the same people that don't clap/cheer or appear to be enjoying or rocking out at all during the show - and these are 10c members that clearly love/like the band. Sometimes I think that some people show up to the shows so that they can essentially get 'their passport stamped'................

this is so obnoxious. seriously? who gives a fuck? i'm so sick of people coming here and whining about people not 'rocking out' as much as them. i understand we are talking about something a little different, but it's the same general idea. some people don't feel comfortable rocking out, dancing, screaming and yelling in a crowd of people. people like you that bitch about it and give people dirty looks for not being as into the show probably make those same people uncomfortable about standing/sitting in silence. why do you care? people need to just relax and enjoy the show in their own way. everybody paid money to the show, i'm sure 99% of the crowd wants to be there, and they should not be judged by the manner in which they see the show.
  • Options
    Obama would disagree. In fact why doesn't he pass this into law as well!

jesus. wrong forum I think. ;)
  • Options
    f-bomb wrote:
    Thank you very much.. I really couldn't care less what whoever is in front or behind me thinks, but shit that's the only time I sit during a show, its at least a few minutes I get to catch my breath and rest my knees... but this type of threads are getting a little old, people bitching because others dont dance, people bitching because others dont sing, now we have someone bitching because people sit during encores? :? why do people care so much about what others do at a show, some should just go to the show and enjoy their time there and stop worrying about what the rest does IMO

Yeah, and you'll be the first one to post a visceral thread about the band if they didn't come out for an encore. I am not trying to tell people 'how' they should act during a show or whatever, and feel free to sit if you want (you can sit and still show some appreciation), but as I said before an encore is not a right........that's all

Do you know me personally? How can you know what kinda thread I would start? Ive been around this board for a really really long time and everyone that knows me knows that I would never start a thread like that (or like this one for that matter) :?
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    oh come on Pj play encores, I'd say its expected alright.

in fact most bands do, its a huge surprise when they dont.

agreed.

and not that i really want to go down that road, but it kinda reminds me of tipping in the US nowadays. ya know, it's simply expected.
    :D

to me, encores really are no longer what they once were, just like the idea of tipping. both ARe expected. an encore nowadays, to me, is simply a little break for the band before the come back out to close out their show.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,958
    when a band consistently gives two encores I think the suspense is gone for the crowd

I always looked at it like the band needs a break so they take a few minutes to use the restroom, grab a beer, etc.

if we all stayed and cheered after Yellow Ledbetter would they come out again? doubt it
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville