Options

Encores are a privilege, not a right

f-bombf-bomb Posts: 99
edited September 2009 in The Porch
Hey,

This might start a firestorm amongst people but I feel that it needs to be said. I was recently at both Seattle shows and also Vancouver on Friday - both 10c seating. Without going into discussion about the 'quality' of the crowds in Seattle vs. Vancouver (all I will say is that Vancouver had alot more crowd energy, sing-along etc. and I think the setlist and band response show this) I think that this needs to be said:

Encores are a privilege, not a right.

I say this because at all three shows I saw MANY people sitting down in between encores and not cheering or anything. We all know Pearl Jam brings it 100% every night and they have developed a reputation for putting on great shows with multiple encores. But we cannot just assume they are going to reappear when they leave the stage. Stand up, clap and cheer and tell the band that you want to see them play some more. I know for about 97% of people in the building this whole post doesn't apply. But there seem to be quite a jaded lot of 10C fans that are starting to take things for granted.......Now you can line up and shoot me down ;)

Ain't it funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Actually, I use the encore break as a bathroom/beer run.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    :roll:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    I sometimes sit down during the encore break because I'm literally exhausted and need a break.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    That's a whole lot different than just sitting down and waiting (expecting) them to reappear. What boggles my mind is that alot of these people sitting down between encores are the same people that don't clap/cheer or appear to be enjoying or rocking out at all during the show - and these are 10c members that clearly love/like the band. Sometimes I think that some people show up to the shows so that they can essentially get 'their passport stamped'................

• Options
    I always stand up and make noise during the encore, but I don't see anything wrong with someone who wants to rest their legs.......
  • Options
    I sometimes sit down during the encore break because I'm literally exhausted and need a break.

Alot of the people that I see sitting down in between seem to barely show any vital signs while the show is going on - so for them it doesn't seem to be an issue of rest. Also, you can sit and cheer at the same time,

• Options
    They are neither with Pearl Jam. They are just there. The band is just taking a little break. Everyone knows they'll be back in a bit and I don't think they are backstage discussing and gauging if the crowd is deserving or not. Just what I think.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    :roll:

You can roll your eyes, but I bet there would be alot of people firing up threads on here if Pearl Jam just did a single set and didn't come back out for an encore. And honestly, based on the amount of people I have seen lately not 'earning' an encore it might be bold wake-up call that the band show do. I wouldn't want it to happen at a show I was at, and it wouldn't be fair to the majority that seem to know how to earn an encore, but it would certainly provide a remedy to some of the spoiled 10c expectations............

• Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    f-bomb wrote:

Alot of the people that I see sitting down in between seem to barely show any vital signs while the show is going on - so for them it doesn't seem to be an issue of rest. Also, you can sit and cheer at the same time,

I say if a person paid their hard earned money to attend a show, they have a right to do whatever they want. The band has a set list, and they edit it as needed during the show. But never have I heard or seen a setlist of a show after 96 or so that didn't have at least 1 encore. And I'm not counting when they opened for Tom Petty during the 06 tour.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    f-bomb wrote:

I say if a person paid their hard earned money to attend a show, they have a right to do whatever they want. The band has a set list, and they edit it as needed during the show. But never have I heard or seen a setlist of a show after 96 or so that didn't have at least 1 encore. And I'm not counting when they opened for Tom Petty during the 06 tour.

For sure, you can do whatever you want having paid for the show. But if you sit down between encores or don't cheer for them to come back out then you are basically saying that you could care less if they reappeared to play more - and therefore if they don't come out for an encore you'd have no right to complain. But I bet alot of these people would complain, because like you are getting at - encores seem to have become an expectation (aka. Right of purchase)

• Options
    i usually try to start that soccer chant...you know...olay olay olay olay...olay...olay...however it never works
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,889
    If they charge $167 for a pair of tickets and don't play an encore I'll be sure to never go to another one of their concerts again. Let's face it, the setlist is made beforehand. They're coming out no matter what.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    so now we can't sit during the encores? :roll:
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    Learning to be a Pearl Jam fan proper is so very tiring! :lol:
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • Options
    PDXPat wrote:
    I always stand up and make noise during the encore, but I don't see anything wrong with someone who wants to rest their legs.......

Thank you very much.. I really couldn't care less what whoever is in front or behind me thinks, but shit that's the only time I sit during a show, its at least a few minutes I get to catch my breath and rest my knees... but this type of threads are getting a little old, people bitching because others dont dance, people bitching because others dont sing, now we have someone bitching because people sit during encores? :? why do people care so much about what others do at a show, some should just go to the show and enjoy their time there and stop worrying about what the rest does IMO
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    ..........They're coming out no matter what.

Yep, that about sums up the attitude I am trying to capture here..........

• Options
    LOL. Just when I think they can't get any more comical, a post like this shows up :lol: Am I allowed to go to the bathroom or chew guy during the show? Do I have to know every single lyric by heart? Anything else?

If you want to cheer until you are blue in the face during the encore have at it. I will have something to laugh at while I am sitting down.
  • Options

+1
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    ...this sounds like the:

Im a bigger or more worthy pearl jam fan because i dance at their shows... :roll:
  • Options
    Thank you very much.. I really couldn't care less what whoever is in front or behind me thinks, but shit that's the only time I sit during a show, its at least a few minutes I get to catch my breath and rest my knees... but this type of threads are getting a little old, people bitching because others dont dance, people bitching because others dont sing, now we have someone bitching because people sit during encores? :? why do people care so much about what others do at a show, some should just go to the show and enjoy their time there and stop worrying about what the rest does IMO

Yeah, and you'll be the first one to post a visceral thread about the band if they didn't come out for an encore. I am not trying to tell people 'how' they should act during a show or whatever, and feel free to sit if you want (you can sit and still show some appreciation), but as I said before an encore is not a right........that's all

• Options
    smobeesmobee Valparaiso Indiana Posts: 178
    I have a bad back. I need to sit down during the breaks. You stand and cheer all you want. If they don't want to come back out because I'm resting after what almost is always a high energy set, so be it. I'm sitting down.
  • Options

yup
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    wow!!

just wow!
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    wow!!

just wow!

astounding...idn't it?
  • Options
    set lists are notttttt always made before hand... for example in Camden last summer during an encore break they took a while and eddie came on and said "sorry were just tryin to figure what the fuck to play next."
    So that leads me to believe not all setlists are made up...or maybe Philly just rocks!! :lol::lol:
  • Options
    Robbuke wrote:
    set lists are notttttt always made before hand... for example in Camden last summer during an encore break they took a while and eddie came on and said "sorry were just tryin to figure what the fuck to play next."
    So that leads me to believe not all setlists are made up...or maybe Philly just rocks!! :lol::lol:

i think based on the vibe and energy of the crowd they may make some changes to the encore set, but for the most part the sets are made before the show...if you see some scans of sets... some of the stuff is crossed off...prolly during the encore
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Bah i think it used to be a big thing but i just think encore breaks are for breaks for the band really...when was it the last time pj didn't do an encore..
  • Options
    Maybe this conversation might benefit from a greater understanding of what an 'encore' is:

n.

1. A demand by an audience for an additional performance, usually expressed by applause.
    2. An additional performance in response to the demand of an audience.

http://www.answers.com/topic/encore

• Options
    No more Fun Police please.
    "Bombs dropping down. Please forgive our hometown"
  • Options
    LOL. Just when I think they can't get any more comical, a post like this shows up :lol: Am I allowed to go to the bathroom or chew guy during the show? Do I have to know every single lyric by heart? Anything else?

If you want to cheer until you are blue in the face during the encore have at it. I will have something to laugh at while I am sitting down.

Please refrain from chewing guy during the show. Thank you.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark