Options

Chicago Observations - "No Even Flow"

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,745
    I'll be honest, I could do without the jam in the middle of Even Flow, it is getting a little predictable and old.

The jam in the middle is the only thing that is unpredictable.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    RideRickRideRick Hoorn Posts: 703
    how many shows must one go to before he gets bored with Even Flow? im not there yet.

stupid.gif

It's like a mantra song... they just have to play it.
    Like the made a deal with the devil :twisted:

"You will be the best live rock band in the world but you have to play Even Flow every concert"

schater.gif

I love it and i can't hear enough of it.. would be dissapointed if it wasn't played at all...

And ofcourse there are a lot of songs which also are great instead of others who aren't so great.
    This year no Jeremy for example... but i got Love Reign O'er me back for that... :D
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I'll be honest, I could do without the jam in the middle of Even Flow, it is getting a little predictable and old.

Well I predicted that Mike would go off on one for a few minutes then Matt would play a little solo then it would go back into the chorus. I've seen them five times in the last three years and they have done the same at each show. It's not a huge deal or anything, I'm just saying it's getting a bit samey.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,411
    Ive seen this band over 40 times, and have heard Even Flow probably 38 times.

If someone asked me, "Woudl you rather hear Immortality or Even Flow?", Id say Immortality.

But that being said, I never leave during Even Flow. Come to think of it, I never leave during the concert.

Each time you hear something could be your LAST TIME you ever hear it. Things can happen, and unfortunately, life is not guaranteed. Neither are vacations, concerts, etc.

I ALWAYS get a kick out of EF.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    awilk99awilk99 Posts: 11
    seriously people if you are getting tired of their songs choices..than don't go! that will just leave more tickets for those of us..who are just appreciative of being there..last night was another great show...we all have a song or two that we pray to hear, mine is Footsteps...but i think that is part of the thrill going..will they play it..wont they..what are they going to open with..whats the encore...no matter what its always a great show!!! i think Eddie was extra energizied and McCready can play like no other...completely amazing!!!
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    Ive seen this band over 40 times, and have heard Even Flow probably 38 times.

If someone asked me, "Woudl you rather hear Immortality or Even Flow?", Id say Immortality.

But that being said, I never leave during Even Flow. Come to think of it, I never leave during the concert.

Each time you hear something could be your LAST TIME you ever hear it. Things can happen, and unfortunately, life is not guaranteed. Neither are vacations, concerts, etc.

I ALWAYS get a kick out of EF.

stop making sense!!!

Ha! Totally agree though.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    waaaahhh waahhhhhh... fuck
    CLT, CHLSTN '96
    East Troy Chicago Greenville '98
    Charlotte Greensboro Atlanta '00
    Raleigh Nashville Atlanta Camden 1&2 '03
    MSG 1&2 Hershey '03
    Asheville Kissimmee '04
    Kitchener London Hamilton '05
    Pitt Cincy Hollywood Santa Barbara SF 1/2/3 '06
    Portland Gorge 1&2 '06
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    congrats to the OP: how to filter out the spoiled ... hahaha

seriously, we all have our favourites but the reality is that there are a lot more casual fans at shows then die hards than we think - you can tell this simply because as soon as they play EF or Alive - there's a roar ... i'm guessing that isn't really 10Clubbers -it's the guy or gal who finally knows a song ...

if you are "sick" of songs - well, that just means you've been fortunate to go to a lot of fucking shows ... take a 2 year break and see if you are still sick of it ...
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    rupy017 wrote:
    How can people be sick of EVEN FLOW?
    Are you sick of Alive, Jeremy, Not For You, Daughter and Elderly Woman too?
    Take away Not For You and the answer is a massive yes ;)
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    There is also a difference between being sick of a song, and just not liking it in the first place. If you hear a song that you never liked enough times, well then it just gets frustrating but you can stare at Eddie for 4 or 5 mins till the song is over then you get all excited wondering what the next will be :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    And, btw... wearing that shirt is really classless. You know by the time they see it they would never scratch it from the set anyway, so I don't know what they hoped to accomplish.

During the song Eddie kept laughing at him, then flipped him off at the end of the song and then talked about it. By the end of that he even seemed really annoyed. After he said 'we take requests , not orders' he then said 'you should know better.'

I was shocked when I saw the shirt before the show started. Funny to someone away from the show, maybe, but not when you are RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BAND.
  • Options
    OK, so can someone post a picture of the guy and his T-shirt?
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    OK, so can someone post a picture of the guy and his T-shirt?

Who the hell is gonna take a picture of some guy in the crowd?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,762
    the shirt was probably a joke...
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    SM10080 wrote:
    brandon10 wrote:
    You sound like a stalker.

Pot...Kettle. Kettle...Pot.

So, you went through all my posts to find something I said a while back and take it out of contex and put in a thread where it's irrelevant? Nice. I didn't even say that in this thread...

And I fail to understand how going to Pearl Jam shows classifies me as a stalker. I guess that makes you one too. And everyone else who goes to their shows. And yeah, Pearl Jam is capable of making crappy songs. Personally, I can't stand "Last Kiss"...but when it's live, I appreciate how it makes others happy and how people get into it and it's an excellent opportunity to see others' reactions to songs instead of focusing on my own.

Anyway, coming across as a crazed fan was not my intention. It would just be nice if people could appreciate what's given to them instead of bitching about it. of course the band isn't perfect. There's a lot of their songs and views that I don't like, but I'm not gonna bitch about them in a fan forum.
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    tschav wrote:
    the shirt was probably a joke...

Exactly. People need to relax.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725

It's not that unpredictable anymore. I predict that Mike will hold one note over and over and use a bunch of crappy effects while we all sit in the crowd reminiscing about how he used to just shred the Even Flow solo.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Indianaboy9Indianaboy9 Indianapolis Posts: 15
    I love to have EvenFlow in every set just in case I need to hit the urinals and/or beer line.

It worked perfect at the UC on night one...no bathroom line during EvenFlow and walked right up bought 2 beers back to my seat in Section 6 and caught Mike's solo and the end of the song. Of course I sung along while peeing.

Even got another beer during encore break. After 34 shows, I got this down pat.
    Before his first step...he is off again!
  • Options
    Brian_BoBrian_Bo Posts: 46
    Did someone really make such a shirt? God, some of you people make me want to be violent.

"We take requests, not orders, you should know that about us." Then Eddie laughed at the guy and walked away.

Yes, saw him and his crew walking around the bar before the show. I guess some people feel a sense of entitlement and ownership of the band after all these years. It's been 16 years since my first concert and I've lost track of how many times I've seen them but it's close to 30; as long as I can hear them jam I'm fine with it. I agree that I'd like to hear them slow Evenflow down or try something new with it but the version last night was pretty tight. To each their own, just don't be an ass about it.

Also, let my membership expire a decade ago and on a whim decided to get it back today since I no longer have good access to bootlegs and free tickets.
  • Options
    RD171825RD171825 Posts: 440
    I saw that shirt in Toronto so it must've been the same guy. I thought it was kind of funny actually.
  • Options
    Brian_BoBrian_Bo Posts: 46
    I just checked, I was able to record the entire "conversation" Eddie had about this, I'll try to get it on youtube when I get home tonight.
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    This is not a fanview.

I spent Night 1 on the floor in the fifth row, thanks to a very nice 10C member who put up with me despite the fact that I had too much to drink and behaved like a slobbering animal.

Night 2 I spent in section 109, observing trends and fan tendencies.

When Even Flow began there was a notable exodus of floor-level 10 Club fans who've had their share of the song over the decades. It was very noticeable, although only still a small percentage of floor-level people. But during other songs you didn't see nearly as many people heading for the pisser.

There were a number of people around me who were sitting — still a minority, mind you — during the show, but would stand up for songs like Betterman, Alive and Black. The cheers were also the strongest from the back sections during the traditional hits.

I don't think I've added anything everyone here doesn't already know. The "casual" fan is dying to hear "Black," "Alive" "Betterman," "Even Flow" and "Jeremy." The casual fan has a confused look on his face during "Got Some," "In My Tree" and "Whipping."

After Even Flow, Eddie called out a 10C member sitting in the first few rows. Someone had a shirt that said, "No Even Flow" ... so Eddie said.

He pointed him out and said, "We take requests, not orders."

Thoughts?

I thought it was an attempt to get a laugh out of the band from this fan and Eddie acknowledged it and had a good time with him. Probably a great moment for the fan, and a "backstage water cooler story" for the band.

I didn't see anything wrong with it. Its no different than holding up a sign of what you want them to play, except that this doesn't block anyones view.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Even though I consider myself an elitist and 99.9% better then all humans that have ever walked the earth, I still enjoy hearing Even Flow at the shows. 8-)
  • Options
    I, too, went to take a leak during Even Flow on night 1. The restroom was jam packed. One guy next to me said "Been watching Pearl Jam live for 18 years, and I always piss during Even Flow". Kinda funny, but not a bad strategy. You know the song is going to last 7-8 minutes, and you know you can get back to your seat before it is over.
  • Options
    OK, I am friends with the guy. We have been to about 15 shows together. He has been to many more shows than I have, and he absolutely LOVES PJ - and yes, he loves Evenflow. I can tell you for a fact that it was meant as a joke that other 10c members would get. He certainly never meant to offend the band (or anyone else for that matter). Yes, he wore it in Toronto, too. He happened to win the lottery for last night to get 2nd row.

Most people (including Eddie, by the way) seemed to think the shirt was pretty funny, and really that was the point. And the show was awesome!
  • Options
    They could play Even Flow at every concert until the end of time, I could care less. Why do people get so worked up over this? Who cares? They DO play 25+ other songs too. Relax people
    Up here in my tree...

Albuquerque 2000
    Denver 2006
    Chicago 2009
    Seattle 2013
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    They could play Even Flow at every concert until the end of time, I could care less. Why do people get so worked up over this? Who cares? They DO play 25+ other songs too. Relax people

Who's worked up?!
  • Options
    brandon10brandon10 Posts: 1,114

Who's worked up?!

He is.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    I think "sick of it" is inaccurate. I'd just rather hear one (or two) other songs in the time that they allot to Even Flow every night. I was glad that some of the standards were left out each night (DTE and Better Man, then Given to Fly and Small Town).

as for the shirt, I think it was funny to see that guy walking around, but I think it was disrespectful to the band. If I was wearing a shirt like that and got tickets in the first few rows, I would turn it inside out. even after 50 shows, I still feel VERY privileged to see this band every time. making a statement like that to the band just screams "spoiled fan", in my opinion. Ed laughed it off, but I wouldnt have blamed him if he had gone off on the guy.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    If they returned to the original slow-chugging version I bet the bitching would end. I know I would appreciate it more. Wearing a shirt like that is kind of stupid though.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam